Author Topic: announcement concerning vuvuzelas  (Read 2958 times)

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
announcement concerning vuvuzelas
« on: September 01, 2010, 10:00:28 am »
                                                                             Sorry for the lateness of this announcement.  

This stuff is already in the con and hotel  policies and also Portland law, these horns are capable of giving people permanent hearing damage in close enclosed areas(90% percent or more of con space)
 Please be kind and considerate to your fellow attendees and con staff and anyone else who might be anywhere near you. We really don't want to have to confiscate these things, or to have to ask people to leave if they hurt someone.

In light of the problems caused by vuvuzelas (a horn popularized during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa) at other anime conventions, the staff and volunteers of Kumoricon 2010 would like to remind everyone attending Kumoricon 2010 of the following:
  • Noise disturbances are explicitly against both Portland law (Title 18) and hotel policy, and may have consequences beyond those spelled out in Kumoricon policy.
  • Kumoricon Convention policy states in part, “Anyone who engages in any of these activities [including ‘Overly loud or disruptive behavior’] will be given a warning. If an attendee continues the behavior, or engages in similarly offensive behavior, their badge will be removed, and they will be asked to leave the Convention Space. Egregious or extreme cases may result in a badge removal without a prior warning.” (Emphasis added.)
Blowing a vuvuzela is an example of overly loud or disruptive behavior, possibly an egregious or extreme case. Blowing one within a yard of someone's ear exceeds the threshhold of pain, can cause hearing damage, and will always be considered an egregious or extreme case. Please be kind to your fellow con-goers, and don’t endanger their hearing.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 10:14:37 pm by BigGuy »
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: announcement concerning vuvuzelas
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:13:37 am »
So they are allowed as long as people are responsible?

Offline moiramctaggart

• Sailor Scout
    • deviantArt
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:41:22 pm »
@ nikkiolie

(90% percent or more of con space)

* Noise disturbances are explicitly against both Portland law (Title 18) and hotel policy
* Kumoricon Convention policy states in part, “Anyone who engages in any of these activities [including ‘Overly loud or disruptive behavior’]

Blowing a vuvuzela is an example of overly loud or disruptive behavior, possibly an egregious or extreme case.

These things can't really be quiet. If it is present someone will blow it.

Sorry if I am overstepping my bounds BigGuy.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:42:03 pm by moiramctaggart »

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:00:26 pm »
So they are allowed as long as people are responsible?

If I understand correctly, then technically the answer's no.

They're allowed as long as people don't blow them, period. For any reason.

(Sorry if that's the same thing you meant - I'm just picky about wording.)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline pepito

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 04:35:20 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNWOItZHLEQ

I believe this is the unofficial policy on vuvuzelas

Seriously though - if you are caught blowing one of these in con space you are not only violating Kumoricon's rules, you are breaking the hotel's rules and Oregon Law.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 04:44:51 pm »
They are allowed as visual props only, if they are blown at all it's a policy violation, and breaking Portland law. We will probably be peacebonding them so people know that if they are used, the least that will happen is the vuvuzela will be confiscated(returned last day of con) if you hurt someone, you will most likely be banned from the convention.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 05:06:53 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNWOItZHLEQ

I believe this is the unofficial policy on vuvuzelas

Seriously though - if you are caught blowing one of these in con space you are not only violating Kumoricon's rules, you are breaking the hotel's rules and Oregon Law.

That is a great idea.

BigGuy, any chance we could get a Dewar flask full of liquid nitrogen for this purpose?  :D
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Kasper

• Oni
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 06:23:57 pm »
SO does this include fog horns?

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 06:28:14 pm »
*looks at kasper unblinking with eyebrows raised*
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Agent47

• Chibi
    • MySpace
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 06:39:03 pm »
To be honest, I've never heard of a vuvuzela until this thread.

But I value my ability to hear, and from the sounds of it, a vuvuzela even at 2 meters(6.6 feet), it can still do damage to your ears if you hear it for more than like 60 seconds.

I don't know what you guys think, but considering con last year, a 12 foot radius could potentially house 5-20 people, depending on the time of day, and/or if an event just got out. That could potentially lead to some bad results if some dick or child decides to blow into one inside.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:41:27 pm by Agent47 »
Who wants a hug from the Hitman/Generic Turk/Vergil?

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 07:29:09 pm »
Wait, I can't recreate this at con? MY PLANS ARE RUINED =(

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 12:10:36 pm »
*looks at kasper unblinking with eyebrows raised*

I could be wrong, but I think that means "No."  ;)

Seriously, I hope people won't push the point. If you know something is overly loud or disruptive, please don't make us tell you that. We don't want to, and you don't want us to.

Kumoricon isn't a court of law, it's a place for people to have fun. There are loads of wonderful things to do this weekend - harming your fellow attendees' hearing is not one of them. And it will not be tolerated.