In Japanese with English sub?
13 (59.1%)
In English?
0 (0%)
Depends on which anime it is.
9 (40.9%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: August 15, 2005, 10:13:46 pm

Author Topic: How do you like your anime? Japanese vs English dub!!  (Read 8781 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
How do you like your anime? Japanese vs English dub!!
« on: August 15, 2005, 10:13:46 pm »
I love hearing what you guys think, and a recent argument between me and my friends at an anime party made me decide to post this.
How do you guys like your anime, in Japanese with English subtitles, or in English? English doesn't mean the anime has to be cut, just, well...in English.

I personally like my anime in Japanese. (DIC ruined dub for me forever :cry: )

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 10:21:51 pm »
Japanese with English subs.

Although alot of people say that anime dubs are the devils work, but my frist animes where all dubbed... My Neighbor Totoro, Monster Rancher, Tokyo Pig and Pokemon. <333

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 10:36:09 pm »
Aww, don't let one bad dub ruin them all for you! There's some great dubs out there!

For me it depends on which one it is. There's some voices in both languages I just can't stand.

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 10:36:51 pm »
almost always sub, but cowboy bebop and trigun were awesome dubbed >.< anything with thosee people are good dubbed, but usually sub
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 10:40:02 pm »
How do I like my anime?  Well-done with lettuce, tomato, and ketchup.

Seriously now, it depends on the anime and what I'm doing.

Some anime I like in English because either I just like the English voices or I want to do something else so it becomes more like background noise (draw, clean, etc.).  With Slayers Next and Try I liked the English voices.  However, Slayers (first season) I couldn't stand Amelia's voice.  Same goes with Sailor Moon.  I liked the earlier voices but Sailor Moon S Usagi's voice I couldn't stand.

When I can't stand the English voices or just think it sounds better in Japanese, I'll switch to Japanese voices.  "Love Hina" the anime I couldn't stand the English voices so I switched to Japanese.

Then there's the occasional Japanese-audio only, no subtitles.  I just do this to practice listening to Japanese.  "Kare Kano" is my anime of choice for this.

Offline oishiidesuyo

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 10:47:04 pm »
I prefer Japanese with English subs.
Some English dubs really lack that emotion and character in their voice, plus I think Japanese voices sound a little better. XD

although, Cowboy Bebop has a pretty good dub. :)
[size=9]FOOL! two swords and a hat don't make a samurai!!![/size]
http://htttp://www.shiroikaze.deviantart.com

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 10:53:42 pm »
I generally perfer english as I'm usually too lazy to read subtitles and like my focus to be on the whole screen rather then the bottom for the text.  but I dun mind reading subtitles if thats what people want(or what I"m left with).

as far as I understand it, some of the emotion and character is lost is because main priorty when making dubs is lip sync-ing.  of course, there are other reasons, but I think thats one of them.

only time I came close to the point of wanting JP dub over english was while playing musashi for PS2....Musashi voice was horrid to my ears!!!! X_X
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 11:31:59 pm »
The way I prefer to view anime is with the Japanese dubbing and English subtitles.

However, I very often wind up watching anime with small children who aren't completely able to read yet and wind up watching the English dubbing instead.

If this is a matter of which we should have at the con, even though I prefer Japanese dubbing, I would deal with English dubs to make it understandable to a wider audience.

Unless it's Sailor Moon.  Then I'm leaving.  *L*  I have no English dub Sailor Moon.  It does not exist to me.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 11:37:46 pm »
It depends on which anime I watch like for instance
One Piece - Dub = bad, Sub = woot it rocks
Inuyasha  - Dub = good, Sub = inuyasha's voice is wierd but i can tolerate it.
Naruto - Dub = waiting, Sub = it rocks.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 11:50:22 pm »
Quote from: "Kyuubi"
One Piece - Dub = bad

Now that I'm back in the states, I see what you mean.  I saw ONE episode (the one where I believe Sanji is introduced) and couldn't believe my ears.  I kept thinking "THAT'S the voice they gave Sanji??!!!  And they gave him a LOLLIPOP??!!"  He's suppose to sound cool.  The voice they gave him made him sound... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... anything but.

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 11:52:23 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
One Piece - Dub = bad

Now that I'm back in the states, I see what you mean.  I saw ONE episode (the one where I believe Sanji is introduced) and couldn't believe my ears.  I kept thinking "THAT'S the voice they gave Sanji??!!!  And they gave him a LOLLIPOP??!!"  He's suppose to sound cool.  The voice they gave him made him sound... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... anything but.

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS.....i cant wait to hear Vivi or chopper.

Offline zenix

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 11:58:18 pm »
subs only subs i can stand dub for only a very few animes

just sounds wrong in english for me

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 11:59:00 pm »
One Piece - Dub = bad

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS.....i cant wait to hear Vivi or chopper.

I hear ya buddy. *peace sign*
I'm tempted to watch at least one more episode just so I can find out how bad of a job they did to everyone else.  I heard a bit of Luffy on that episode but only a few short sentences, not much to go on.
Didn't they have to change Zoro's name too?  At least that's what I heard from somewhere.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 12:26:02 am »
*HUGS VALLIEGIRL*
I SO AGREE!!! Sailor Moon dub makes me sad! They cut so much and ruined the voices turning it from pg-15 to Y-7!!

Have you seen the funsubbed Sailor Stars series yet! AWESOME!!!

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 12:32:16 am »
@ kimiski

I bought the huge box version of the unedited first season and was blown away at how much was edited...  entire episodes were thrown out.  It was crazy.

I've only seen the first 8 or so eps of Sailor Stars.  They're on these bootleg videocassetes that I purchased at an anime store years ago.  I'm not sure who subbed it.  I haven't seen all of the episodes though.  ^_^
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline SentientSoul

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 02:23:47 am »
The truth is, I used to be a sub-only elitist and a "dubfectionist."  Then as time went on I gradually warmed up to English dubs.

Nowadays, I generally like both dubs and subs about equally.  There are some anime that I prefer in English (Hellsing, Berserk, others in the fantasy genre, and anime that is heavily Anglo-themed or influenced) and there are others that I prefer in Japanese which I think sound ridiculous in English (like Rurouni Kenshin).  It's all about the subject matter.  If there's an anime that is very heavy in Japanese values and themes (another example: Ai Yori Aoshi), then I'll stick with the Japanese voices because that's how it seems more "authentic."  On the other hand, if an anime is very Anglo like Hellsing which takes place in England; though good in Japanese of course, the English voices win out in that one for me due to the themes and setting (and also thanks to the best, most badass actor ever -- Crispin Freeman -- playing Alucard hee hee).

There are also anime that I could go either way like Chobits or Akira (the Animaze dub).  Both versions are equally good.  I generally watch anime in Japanese first, unless I've been introduced to a new one in English; for example, anime that was shown in the Japanese Animation Club at the college I went to.  I have my favorite actors on both sides of the Pacific.

There are other dubs which sound ATROCIOUS (Love Hina, Black Lion, lots of hentai, and a few others I can't think of offhand).

Then there's Evangelion ... it's wonderful in Japanese, no doubt.  But I usually watch it in English because it's far easier to understand that way.

So I have an open mind when it comes to subs and dubs.

Offline MikaRin375

• Catgirl
    • http://www.freewebs.com/anime_rice
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 08:14:46 am »
I like Japanese...I understand Japanese so its no problem ^^....though I saw this weird DVD once which had a Japanese Dub so the orginal one was made in english ^^;;
Thinking of a new siggy ^.^

Offline kalira

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 08:48:14 am »
Subs..... but there are a few things that are accualy better dubed.

Goldenboy == Dub is much better
Ranma 1/2== Dub is much better

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005, 10:46:54 am »
Original audio.

ALWAYS.

Be it Japanese, Cantonese, whatever, I want the original.

I even prefer the Japanese audio over lots of dubs people think are awesome like Bebop and Trigun.  While I do agree that some dubs are good, they are still inferior when compared to the original Japanese VA's.
The trick is not minding.

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2005, 11:36:59 am »
For me it depends which english voice actors are doing the dubbing. The following actors give very good performances in my opinion:

Monica Rial, Chris Patton, Vic Mignogna, Illich Guardiola, Greg Ayres, Jason Douglas, Hilary Haag, David Matranga, Kari Wahlgren, Crispin Freeman, Mona Marshall, David Lucas, and Wendee Lee just to name a few of my favorites.

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2005, 01:12:52 pm »
Quote from: "Sinaj"
...David Lucas, and Wendee Lee just to name a few of my favorites.

David Lucas is in EVERYTHING it seems.  It is almost like a VA dub running gag to see what that guy will do voice work for next.  I have even heard his voice on 7-11 commercials as well as in a TON of video games.  It probably wouldn't be so funny if he wasn't so well known for his work on Bebop as Spike because when I hear him it is like "hey, Spike is telling me to go buy a Slurpee!"
The trick is not minding.

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2005, 02:42:01 pm »
There is another voice actor that sounds almost exactly like David Lucas. It was in an anime I was watching recently to but I don't remember which one (Gungrave perhaps?) I remember looking it up at Crystal Acids and was shocked that it wasn't him. I'm going to go look up my history logs and see if I can figure out who that was...

Found the answer - Steve Blum. So that voice you hear, might not be David Lucas' after all.

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2005, 02:52:06 pm »
In fact Steve Blum is Spike in the Cowboy Bebop movie.

Offline gia

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Vice
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2005, 03:36:37 pm »
It is pretty much impossible to get the same quality of translation in a dub that you would get in a sub.

I cite as evidence the fact that in addition to translating the words, the translators have to try and pick English words to fit mouths that are speaking Japanese ones.

Almost every dub that I've ever seen looked stupid and sounded even worse-- American voice acting simply isn't up to par with Japanese.  That is starting to change, and dubs are getting better, but I've yet to see one that was really and truly comparable to the original.
Editor-in-Chief, Anime Vice
http://animevice.com

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2005, 04:47:35 pm »
Why is it, no matter where you go, someone makes a topic such as this?

We all know its going to become a huge flame war with everyone trying to impose their own opinion on each other.

Every single topic such as this that I have ever seen becomes that way.

For the record, to me, it depends on which anime.

Some, I prefer one over the other, some I like both.

For example, I like Inu Yasha in both dubbed and subbed, because I like the actors on both languages. The same goes with X and Tenchi Muyo.

IMO, I also believe X has one of the best dubs I have heard to date.

One dub I dislike is GTO, but thats me personally. Love the series, though.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2005, 05:21:20 pm »
@Dustin
I thought the last thread about this on this forum did pretty well without getting any flame wars going on.  (That or my memory is shot again)

@gia
I agree that dubs are getting better.  Some anime in the "early years" such as Digimon seasons 1 and 2 you could tell they inserted a lot of jokes that weren't in there to begin with.  Love the series but they could have worked on the script a little.

Offline gia

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Vice
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2005, 07:03:24 pm »
Negima: Don't even get me started on the conversion of anime intended for kids-- Japan has much higher expectations of their youth than we do, and I'm gonna leave it at that ;)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2005, 08:47:50 pm »
Quote from: "gia"
Negima: Don't even get me started on the conversion of anime intended for kids-- Japan has much higher expectations of their youth than we do, and I'm gonna leave it at that ;)

Know what you mean.  :wink:

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2005, 11:49:42 pm »
Why is it that the networks are stricter at editing imported shows than domestic? Look at the average episode of Batman: The Animated Series--you couldn't get away with half that stuff on an imported show. It baffles me. And you can show bare butts on a domestic show, but not an imported one of the same rating. Why is that?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2005, 06:08:33 pm »
Quote from: "BlackjackGabbiani"
Why is it that the networks are stricter at editing imported shows than domestic? Look at the average episode of Batman: The Animated Series--you couldn't get away with half that stuff on an imported show. It baffles me. And you can show bare butts on a domestic show, but not an imported one of the same rating. Why is that?

Do you know what I just realized as well?  I thought of old Looney Tunes cartoons.  They've had Bugs Bunny with cigarettes several times but Sanji gets a lollipop.  Weird.

Offline gia

• Sailor Scout
    • Anime Vice
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2005, 07:27:34 pm »
They've had Bugs Bunny with cigarettes several times but Sanji gets a lollipop.  Weird.

Yeah, but most of those were made a long time ago, when smoking was more accepted.  If you look at the drivel-- I mean, cartoons --that they're making with Loony Tunes characters now, you won't see many cigarettes, and if you do it usually belongs to a bad guy.

Seriously though, even though they show the old 'toons still today, Loony Tunes have been around for a loooooong time.  I think I was like 8 when Bugs celebrated his fiftieth birthday...

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2005, 12:45:14 am »
I used to only watch dubs, as that was all I knew and had access to. Now years and lots of Anime later, I'm kind of split. There are some titles where I enjoy the dub, such as aforementioned Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Hellsing. But others....others I cannot stand. Mostly because I saw them in subbed first, like Inu-Yasha and Gundam Seed. I know the seiyuu, and I've heard them from other Anime and I like them.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline Densha_Rockstar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2005, 01:51:00 am »
I like it however I can understand it.

I'd like to actually see Spanish dubs of anime. I know it's been done for years, and some ADV DVD's have a Spanish dub track. There are some animes dubbed in Spanish that aren't yet available in English (such as "YAT! Anshin").

Offline Kuri-chan

• Cabbit
    • http://kizokuro.deviantart.com
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2005, 08:14:23 pm »
I have a little more preference to subbed anime, but some of my friends understand the dub better, and I don't mind watching a little dubbed anime. But I can't stand anime dubbed by 4Kids! 4Kids kills anime!

:(

For example, I first got into anime by watching Digimon on Saturday mornings. But after watching more of its Japanese counterparts, I lean more towards it, but I'm still pledged to one of my very first animes. :3
Some dubs are just awful. Ex: One Piece?
x_x . s m i l e .

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2005, 12:23:50 am »
@Kyuubi
Okay, today I saw about 5 minutes worth of One Piece and I see what you mean even more.  It's like they were trying to make everything more cheerful or something.  I heard enough of Luffy to know how I feel about his voice.  Then ZoRo spoke and I thought, "He's supposed to be cool.  That's not cool  :cry: ."

And then the scene where (the kid that later joined the navy after rescuing Zoro) is talking to the navial officer, the tone just didn't sound right....

*end rant*

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2005, 12:25:52 am »
Aww, no one ever remembers Tama and Friends.

Actually, that was such a cute show anyway. They never did a home release of that, did they?

Offline Densha_Rockstar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2005, 02:31:51 am »
Quote from: "BlackjackGabbiani"
Aww, no one ever remembers Tama and Friends.

Actually, that was such a cute show anyway. They never did a home release of that, did they?

I vaguely remember that show. Nothing better to recover from a hangover with than a show that, for the life of me, I wondered was Japanese at all, or was even "Hamtaro".  :lol:

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2005, 06:25:36 pm »
Quote from: "valliegirl"
@ kimiski

I bought the huge box version of the unedited first season and was blown away at how much was edited...  entire episodes were thrown out.  It was crazy.

I've only seen the first 8 or so eps of Sailor Stars.  They're on these bootleg videocassetes that I purchased at an anime store years ago.  I'm not sure who subbed it.  I haven't seen all of the episodes though.  ^_^

You don't know what your missing!! I can't choose between stars and R as my favorite season!! I'm trying to see if I can burn them for you right now, but it might be protected. And i don't have the first disc with me to burn, I wont get it tell school starts. See ya at the con, I hope it works!!!