Author Topic: Guest announcements?  (Read 6802 times)

Offline Saiyukifg

• Oni
Guest announcements?
« on: August 03, 2010, 11:56:07 pm »
When do you guys plan on announcing guests? It's hardly even a month away and we have no information yet. What gives? >=[

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
Re: Guest announcements?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:19:31 am »
That's Kcon for you. They've been especially flaky this year from what I've seen.

Offline Saiyukifg

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:27:39 am »
That gives me more reason to not attend. How can they expect people to buy prereg if no guests are announced? What else have they failed to do?  It's unfortunate, but I guess it means I'll be taking my money to Sakura con or the con in Vancouver, Canada. =[

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 02:16:25 am »
You know, before you decide its one persons fault over another...

You may want to think about the different things that go into getting a Guest and what that means each year.

Depending on the schedule of the guest, their handlers may not be able to tell us until VERY late if they
are able to attend our convention.

Relations relies on the handlers and secretaries and staff of the "Talent" or Guest's of Honor to provide them
the Green Light to announce their presence at the convention. Until the Staff of a potential guest ok's it, we
aren't legally allowed to say anything. And If that guest is part of a bidding war (yes sometimes you have
to put in a bid to get a guest, thats what appearance fees are) that can last up until very close to the event
or convention.

Also, if there are special requests of the guests, (they must have a car and certain hours off and a special
type of water or something) until those things are hashed out in a contract and secured for the guest,
a potential Guest's staff may not allow us to disclose their candidacy for attendance; just in-case they need
to back out suddenly.

It gets complicated quickly. Think about it, having someone famous, who attracts a lot of people and has a
high profile in a public place takes a lot of planning and preparation.

I understand your frustration and desire to know the Guests we will be having. I am excited to know who all is
coming as well! Until we know though, lets just sit tight and enjoy the ride... I am sure will have fun meeting and
talking to whoever they are regardless!

TL;DR - Hey now, lets not count our chickens before they hatch, a lot goes into announcing a guest... don't worry
when they get announced I'm sure it'll be awesome!
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 02:21:05 am »
The wait makes the announcement more exciting. :P

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 02:26:06 am »
That's all fine and dandy but it makes me wonder. Why do other cons, even smaller ones like Akicon, get guests decided and announced much earlier?
And once you answer that I ask, why don't we do that?

The problem with "the wait makes it exciting!" is, we aren't the only con to happen around this date. The guests are a deciding factor to many people to attend, and sometimes people will come from states away to see a guest.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 02:56:56 am »
You answered your own question;
Why do other cons, even smaller ones like Akicon, get guests decided and announced much earlier?

we aren't the only con to happen around this date.

Many of the "Big Names" waffle back and forth or wait to see if they get invited to the big cons,
before agreeing to others.

Also, sometimes, the guests people really really want, are the sloooowest repliers... lol!
And then theres the whole deal of convention overdose. Sometimes a potential guest will say they
"might come" if they aren't "burnt out" after   XXXX-con

Finally, please please please please remember that the Relations staff, and the Director herself are
people just like you and me. And they do this for FREE and almost always end up forking over their
own money to meet and greet with people who could connect them to potential guests. It is not
the easiest job in the convention, and certainly not the most thanked.
The Relations Director position is not one that is replaced easily, and I'm NOT saying that the current
director wants to quit or doesn't like her job... but even I know that there is a certain pressure there
when you are in a job no one else wants/can do... no one will train to do.

I don't know what I'm trying to say there... I had a point and it was good, maybe you know what
I'm saying... I sure don't.

Maybe I'm just saying that every staff member is a VOLUNTEER, and each year is different, we do our
best and we rarely get thanked (though we super appreciate the thanks we do get!) yet people keep
coming back and doing this year after year. Even with all the flack they get, all the flaming of their
character and their work... THEY KEEP COMING BACK...

thats gotta take serious dedication to the good of the convention.

So just remember that I guess.
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 03:24:25 am »
Considering the other nearby cons that happen around the same time (I'm thinking Anime Evolution and Anime Vegas, which happen next week and the same date as ours, respectively, and have around our attendance) have many guests announced already, I don't really feel my question was answered. Edit: apparently, we are the only con on Labor Day weekend with no guests announced, aside from Kuzuricon, for whom this is their second year.I wonder what they're doing different than us to get so many guests. Is it bad etiquette to ask other cons how they run things to learn and improve? Or have you tried, and it hasn't worked out?

I know, I know, the whole "run by volunteers" speech. It's not that I'm not grateful, but... If you don't accept criticism, you aren't going to improve. This goes for everything. I know I shouldn't be lecturing you guys when I have no idea what it's like, but if there are other people in the same position as us doing better then us, you know it's possible for us (or, I should stop saying that; "you guys") to step up your game.

And not to derail the thread, but it's not just with guests. There were troubles getting info out to people who wanted to be notified when the AA tables were available. There were troubles with VIP badges. There were (are) people wanting to know the status of dealer's tables, who hadn't been contacted for months. Again, I'm in no position to criticize, but...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 03:49:38 am by Hazuza »

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 03:54:50 am »
The answer I don't like to give... because its not really my place and because I am not truly
in a position to know the specifics of the answer *points to the fact that she's Facilities not
Relations* is this:

Money.

In the end it all comes down to money. Some cons have tons of it, others have not a lot but
spend it on things like Guest of Honor's while others spend it on prizes and content and even
others spend it on security and infrastructure.

For instance, if I were to ask Anime Evolution how they get their big name guests, the Relations
Director might say (if they were being blunt):

"Well, since I have a pretty decent size budget, I can afford to offer GoH's extra's like full meal
plans and a personal convention assistant as well as premier convention panel placement. I also
don't require my GoH's to do much at the convention, maybe 1 panel and 1 signing, but whatever
they feel comfortable with. Mostly it's just having their name and face at the con."

Sakuracon's Relations Director might put it this way:

"We have a status as one of the largest conventions in the US and (pretty much THE Largest)
in the North West. That gives us credence over other smaller conventions. The staff
surrounding potential guest of honor's likes to see that there is precedent for guests being
treated well and receiving positive response at a convention before having their guest attend.
So I rely on my budget to get me the things I need for the guests but I also rely on Sakuracon's
reputation as a big, fun and heavily marketable convention to get us the top guests."

Believe it or not, we actually do talk to a lot of these other conventions, and we go to most
of them! (we being Directors and staff I mean). And to some we are a very small fish in a very
big pond. We are still learning, still growing.

What could we do better to make sure we can announce guests earlier? This is going to sound
like a cop out but....

GET MORE STAFF!

You want super famous awesome highly profiled guests? So do we! But we also have to think
of the mobs and gobs of people who will attempt to rush them and hound them all convention
long. We don't want to be known as the convention of dread and doom because we can't
protect our Guests. But we need staff, relations staff, yojimbo staff, maid squad staff, ALL STAFF
to offset the precariousness of that situation. More staff = more hands on deck to prevent
a flash mob and also means we can afford to throw a bit more money at hiring dedicated security
guards for high profile guests because we aren't using that money to make the current level of
staff work when it's really not enough.

Beyond that... and maybe voting for guests in the Guest of Honor Recommendation thread that aren't;
A - To high profile for us to cater to
B - Already at another event
C - Unwilling to come (and that isn't always assured when the person says "yeah I'd love to come")
D - Too obscure to bring in enough people to justify a panel (remember even people like Cynthia Martinez
can have a low turn out rate!)

Its sleepy time for my brain so thats all I can think of... maybe you have some ideas?

Which is difficult I know.
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 04:10:44 am »

Its sleepy time for my brain so thats all I can think of... maybe you have some ideas?

This...is going to be quoted a few times I am sure- Maybe word that a bit nicer? If it was a slip-up cause it is late and we are now counting down a month I can understand but it does seem a bit rude.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 10:22:28 am »
That gives me more reason to not attend. How can they expect people to buy prereg if no guests are announced? What else have they failed to do?  It's unfortunate, but I guess it means I'll be taking my money to Sakura con or the con in Vancouver, Canada. =[

I'm going to Anime Evolution, too.  I'm totally looking forward to seeing Richard Ian Cox and Cathy Weseluck.  (I just hope I'll be able to get my copy of Project A-ko back in time).

Patience, my friend...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:23:01 am by Washougal_Otaku »
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 01:02:55 pm »

This...is going to be quoted a few times I am sure- Maybe word that a bit nicer? If it was a slip-up cause it is late and we are now counting down a month I can understand but it does seem a bit rude.

ouch! Crud! Yeah there was actually more to that sentence.... dangit...

OKAY GUYS REAL SORRY ON THAT ONE

I'm not gonna edit it cause I'm not hiding from my screw up. It was late and I
was literally falling asleep at my computer.

The rest of that should have gone;

Which is difficult I know. There are too many variables, and a lot of issues.

My intention was to be sympathetic to the plight of the problem, not be
mean, I'm sorry I made it sound that way. Please understand I certainly didn't mean
to be snipey like that! Goodness I appreciate you bringing attention to that,
I don't normally re-read my messages until much later, so thanks!

-Ally
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 01:04:29 pm by AllyKat »
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 09:57:07 pm »
here let me help all people involved and end the suspense!                  
  I Jaz, chef cookin mama cookie/candy lady of the super variety WILL BE ATTENDING K-CON!

*applause*

At No extra cost I will BE signing autographs!!!
And as always handing out candy and Gackt trivia to those who appear to need need it!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:39:36 am by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 12:21:46 am »
here let me help all people involved and end the suspense!                     I Jaz, chef cookin mama cookie/candy  lady of the super variety WILL BE ATTENDING K-CON!                                        *applause*  and at No extra cost I will BE signing autographs!!! And as always handing out candy  and Gackt trivia to those who appear to need need it!

:D

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 12:38:49 pm »

I understand your frustration and desire to know the Guests we will be having. I am excited to know who all is
coming as well! Until we know though, lets just sit tight and enjoy the ride... I am sure will have fun meeting and
talking to whoever they are regardless!

TL;DR - Hey now, lets not count our chickens before they hatch, a lot goes into announcing a guest... don't worry
when they get announced I'm sure it'll be awesome!

I guess my main concern at this point is that no GOH's get the green light and nobody shows up.  I'll be at KCon again this year.  I have attended every year since the first here in Eugene, and I was a TUNAC attendee back then as well.  I just really want to see KCon succeed.  I reserve my room months in advance and pre-register every year.  I am not staff, because I am a currently an unemployed student and I have other things I need to be doing with my time.  My wife will be running a panel this year though.  For those who are interested, there will be a panel teaching using vector in Adobe Illustrator.  She will also be a co-panelist in another panel using Wild Ginger sewing pattern creation software to create custom cosplay patterns.  If you want to put that on the website, by all means do so!  It is confirmed, and there is even a day and time set for both panels.  I am guessing the same is true for some of the other panels as well.  Any reason there isn't an "unofficial" program on the site?  Maybe even a description of the different panels being offered.  Anything would be better than nothing at all.  Who knows you might get people to attend KCon just to visit those two panels. I know I will be.  ;D

I know that the most infuriating thing to happen to me last year was the absolute lack of any info on the site.  I had hopes that it would improve this year.  So far, if anything, it is even worse.  The one thing I ask is that you post the program schedule at least a week before the actual event.  Some of us like to plan our convention schedule BEFORE we walk in the doors.

Also we tell all our friends how awesome KCon is, but there is nothing on the site to support our claims.  I was looking at the pictures from last con in the gallery.  What I saw is a lot of people eating ramen, pictures of rooms with a lot of empty chairs, and cosplayers wrestling on the floor.  These are the best pictures we have from last year?

I do appreciate the info on parking that is up now.  That is one improvement that will help out a lot.  I did park in the 4th & Yamhill Smart Park last year.  I recommend it to con goers this year as well.  I also recommend the Dragonfish Restaurant east of the hotel.

So, what confirmed exhibitors will we have this year?  What bands are playing?  Will there be a cosplay contest?  Will there be a masquerade ball? Will there be panels?  These and other questions should be answered on the site by now.  (Looks at page)....... Nope.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 02:22:28 pm »
Fair Enough.

I'll get on that.

Can't promise It'll be up in the next day or so but I'll collaborate with my fellow Directors and
hopefully I'll have SOMETHING for you after the meeting on Saturday August 7th at the Executive
Tower Salon Ballroom.

Will that work for you guys for now?
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 01:33:38 am »
Fair Enough.

I'll get on that.

Can't promise It'll be up in the next day or so but I'll collaborate with my fellow Directors and
hopefully I'll have SOMETHING for you after the meeting on Saturday August 7th at the Executive
Tower Salon Ballroom.

Will that work for you guys for now?

Go get-um AllyKat!  Growl..  Hiss..   :D
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 03:19:23 am »
AllyKat, forum mod extreme.

Keeping us informed and arguing to a minimum. ^.~

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 06:17:58 pm »
So that leads to:

PLEASE DON'T IGNORE MY POST.

No offense, but I don't think you have any grounds to say that when you even said yourself you ignored most of the thread. (which was short to start with)

Say sorry, excuse us, and then try to get an answer ASAP and come back with either good news or bad news.
If you read AllyKat's previous post, you'd see that she is doing that.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 08:40:47 pm »
You are right,

Things would totally have been way more awesome if they could be done earlier. I agree, but I
am only one person. And while I like to think I run quite a tight ship, this isn't my boat to steer,
this is a directors board. Which means we run at the speed of committee.

We have to rely on other people to hold up their end of the bargain (and the convention) and sometimes,
life gets in the way and things have to be put on the back burner. And sometimes people make mistakes,
and other times people just abandon ship and you are left with an extra plate of responsibilities you
were not counting on.

Thats the facts of this convention. And I have to live with that, as stressful as it is for someone who
takes personally and critically the situations presented to her (even though they are out of my control)
which means that, while it isn't easy, we all have to live with it. There are some tasks we just can't do,
and we have to rely on people to do them, and they may or may not do them in the time frame we like.

We just have to be the people who make the best out of that. I'm really sorry it has to be that way,
If I could, I would scrap the model, have a hired staff and a CEO and it would run the way it would
in a perfect world because it would be peoples JOB and career to make it run....

(Thats a lie I wouldn't do that, it wouldn't be as fun or have as much meaning to me if it were a 9 - 5 job I think... maybe)

I guess it all comes down to your outlook on the convention and what you want to see. If you want to see things happen on a certain day, you are going to have to start encouraging it before that date gets close, otherwise you have to rely on the time-line of the person in charge of the activity. Which may be, due to there personal view of the situation and the logistics involved, be much later than your personal deadline.

Thats the best advice I can offer. I know its not enough to excuse the issue, but maybe it'll be enough to explain how we can combat it in the future.
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 12:17:50 am »
OMG Allykay, marries me? :D  You are such a good peace keeper.

If we had a hired staff and they worked 9-5 this would be one freaking awesome HUGE con.

Danayoki -  Hope you got your answer and got some of that stress relieved.  We just got to wait a bit more and then.. maybe you will find out your most favorite person is going to show! ^.~   *hugs*

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 09:34:03 pm »
I know I said I'd leak some unofficial stuff on the website... but it's looking like the directors are almost ready to present all their wares so I am not going take that honor away from them.

Just a little bit longer guys and the fun will be more than you can handle!!!!

^_^

-Ally
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 01:27:27 am »
Double Post I know... okay... you can kill me for it later... but I thought I might point you awesome people to the MAIN PAGE

If you haven't checked out the front of the site recently....

you might find some quite happy news there... that I wont ruin for you... but I gotta say....

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY YAY!

-Ally
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 01:30:22 am »
But Ally...

You're way behind, and con is in 24 days.

All your cosplays are at 0%!!!

<runs over there and hides>
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 01:37:35 am »
WHEEEEEEE!~

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:40:56 am by kimiski »

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 01:49:46 am »
*Stares at her cos-play meter in horror*

AHH! YOU ARE RIGHT! OKAY! TO THE E-BAY!!!

Actually.. I am just in dire need of changing most of them... lol lemme fix that...

There we go!
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair