Author Topic: Anyone know of REALLY good Japanese food near hotel?  (Read 3118 times)

Offline Fractaldragon

• Cabbit
    • DragonTamer Design
Anyone know of REALLY good Japanese food near hotel?
« on: August 03, 2010, 11:44:31 am »
My husband and I are coming down for Kumoricon from Seattle. He's the Anime fan, I'm the general Japanese art & design &culture fan. But we both LOVE good sushi and other Japanese food. Anyone know of such a restaurant near the hotel? Reasonable driving distance (<5 miles) is fine, since we will be driving.

Thanks! :D

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
Re: Anyone know of REALLY good Japanese food near hotel?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:55:27 am »
My G/F & I like the Dragonfish which is only about 2 blocks from con if I remember...there is one in Seattle as well if you haven't had the chance to eat there yet. Not sure if it will live up to your expectations or not, but I have never been dis-appointed with it. If you go during the right hours, they have happy hour sushi...only $2 for a 1/2 roll of certain types of rolls. There will be a map with your kumo programming guide & you can see where it is from there...hope you try & enjoy it :D

Offline legoman60

• Sailor Scout
    • M.E.W.con
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 01:37:35 pm »
Sushi Ichiban is the only good place to get sushi downtown. It is on broadway and couch (about 15 blocks from con if I remember right).
2008-2010 MEWcon Staff

2008 Kumoricon Attendee
2009-2010 Kumoricon Staff
2012 Kumoricon Attendee

2010 Sakuracon Staff

Offline Fractaldragon

• Cabbit
    • DragonTamer Design
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 01:53:53 pm »
Sushi Ichiban is the only good place to get sushi downtown. It is on broadway and couch (about 15 blocks from con if I remember right).

My G/F & I like the Dragonfish which is only about 2 blocks from con if I remember...there is one in Seattle as well if you haven't had the chance to eat there yet. Not sure if it will live up to your expectations or not, but I have never been dis-appointed with it. If you go during the right hours, they have happy hour sushi...only $2 for a 1/2 roll of certain types of rolls. There will be a map with your kumo programming guide & you can see where it is from there...hope you try & enjoy it :D

Thanks to both of you! Will keep these in mind (and mayber check out the Seattle Dragonfish before we come to kumoricon.) :)

Offline Hitmage

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 11:17:44 pm »
Bluefin Sushi is a good, cheap place for sushi if you want a kaiten (conveyor belt) type sushi place that's close to PSU. It's on 6th avenue, and the best part about it is that on Saturdays, each plate is only $1.50, so it's a good deal.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

Offline wolfgames

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 04:53:36 pm »
try todias
¤ø„¸ ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
   ¨°º¤ø„¸TECHNO„ø¤º°¨
    „ø¤º°¨FOREVER`°º¤ø¤ø
           ネオン <3 :3

Offline countbeavertron

• Oni
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 09:48:13 pm »
If you're looking for world-class sushi I would recommend Murata, on Second & Market. It's about a 10-minute walk from the hotel, and a bit on the spendy side, but IMHO the best place in Portland.

Offline Agent47

• Chibi
    • MySpace
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 10:12:20 pm »
try todias

It's actually just called 'Todai', but I can vouch for this one as well. It's on one of the upper floors of Pioneer Place, and when I was younger, my mother had a birthday there with a good 10-20 people, and it was a very nice, classy restaurant.

If you're looking for world-class sushi I would recommend Murata, on Second & Market. It's about a 10-minute walk from the hotel, and a bit on the spendy side, but IMHO the best place in Portland.

Spendy doesn't equate to "world-class". If you want spendy, on quality japanese cuizine, there's a place on the east side, on Powell, I believe, called Ichidai. They are, what I'd consider, far more "world-class" than a restaurant that doesn't even have it's own website(or atleast one easily accessible via a quick googling.)

Also, for cheap sushi eats, there's a Marinepolis Sushiland on 10th Ave, a block and a half north of Burnside. They're a conveyor belt style sushi restaurant, where you can look and pick what you want, instead of having to order specific items.
Who wants a hug from the Hitman/Generic Turk/Vergil?

Offline countbeavertron

• Oni
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 10:28:02 pm »
??? Re: Murata... Not equating price to quality, just an advisory. I think they can justifiably demand a higher price, but I certainly would never criticize anyone else's recommendations.

Ichidai is a quite a ways from the hotel, but if you're considering ranging further than walking distance, let me add another suggestion: If you like izakaya, there's a great one in Beaverton called Yuzu. No sushi, but excellent small dishes and I hear the ramen is very good as well.

Offline XxBelovedxSoubixX

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 08:26:47 pm »
Todai is my #1 choice for down town Japanese food. It's a little spendy but they're the best in my opinion. You should check it out!

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 09:04:32 pm »
A good choice for me would have to be at the "Samurai Bento" food stand that's on 940 SW Alder St (where all the international food stands are). They have a small, but authentically Japanese menu and it is (so far) the only place that I know of where one of their menu items got a rave review from Hayao Miyazaki himself! 

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 12:11:47 pm »

Thanks to both of you! Will keep these in mind (and mayber check out the Seattle Dragonfish before we come to kumoricon.) :)
The one in Seattle is 2 blocks from the convention center at the bottom floor of the Paramount Hotel :)

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 02:35:57 am »
Sushi Sakura Sushi go around is amazing. It's four to five blocks north on 6th ave past pineer SQ.
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 04:11:05 am »
I only know one SUPER AWESOME sushi shop which I HIGHLY recommend trying out
It's at the clackamas town center and is downstairs. The entrance is outside so you'll have to look on a map
It's called Sinju Sushi Bar & Restaurant
But sushi runs cheap like 6 for a whole roll and like 4 for 2 nigiri
Clackamas town center is just a hop on the green line from the kumoricon hotel so just if you wanna go to an awwwwsome sushi place with great atmosphere it's the place to go in my opinion but it seems out of the way XD soooooo nvm me XD