Author Topic: Kumoricon Culinary thread  (Read 18711 times)

Offline korin

• Chibi
    • Artfire Shop
Re: Kumoricon Culinary thread
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2010, 12:54:09 am »
 >:(
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:58:17 pm by korin »

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2010, 03:49:45 pm »

and this is the best ever!!
I made individual jumbo size cream puffs! soo yummy.

Make lightning bolts on them, and you can call them eclairs. French word for lightning.

That's one sweet Jigglypuff.

So Kagome, the only thing different in making your vegan cake, is that you don't use eggs or milk? I wonder what protein source is used to keep the cake from falling after the gas bubbles are no longer supported by internal pressure. Do you use gluten, or perhaps soy flour?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Kagome219

• Bunnygirl
    • Bloggin' lolol~
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2010, 04:03:45 pm »
@korin: KIRBY! <3

@jaybug: I used regular all-purpose baking flour, so, yes, it has gluten in it. It was a vegan cake, but not gluten-free.
K-con '11 Cosplays:
NO, Thank You!!Mio (K-ON!!) - 100%
Haruhi Suzumiya (TMoHS) - 100%
Sollux (Homestuck) - 100%
Crystal (Pokemon Crystal Version) - 100%
Don't say "lazy"!Mio (K-ON!) - 100%
Alice (Pandora Hearts) - 100%
Haruhi Fujioka (OHSHC) - 100%

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
    • Kato's mini Japanese Anime, Culture and Hobby Page
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2010, 09:39:40 pm »
If anybody knows how to make traditional okonomiyaki, I'd love to learn how!  I tried it once four years ago as a way to celebrate my birthday while waching the Seahawks beating the snot out of the Eagles on Monday Night Football, 42-0.  (Biggest shut-out in MNF history).

So, anyone...?

Well, I might be able to help. Okonomiyaki is really in the batter and how long you fry it. Problem is the flour. Japanese Okonomiyaki mix is a blend of wheat flour, Yamaimo powder (similar to arrowroot powder) and flavoring like bonito.
I generally use a mix but when I'm out I go with this:
1 cup sifted all purpose flour
1 tbsp bonito flakes added to the flour
1 tsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch added to the flour
pinch of salt added to the flour
2/3 cup water to start with, more if needed to make a pancake batter consistency (for variety I sometimes use light beer which makes it fluffy)
2 eggs
3-4 cups finely shredded cabbage (napa cabbage works best)
2-3 stalks green salad onion diced
4 strips of bacon cooked and diced

Toppings:
Shrimp cooked and diced
Japanese mayonnaise (regular mayo and a bit of wasabi mixed in is great too)
Okonomi Sauce
Aonori (seaweed flakes)
Sesame seeds
Katsuobushi (bonito flakes)

So, mix the flour and water till smooth like pancake batter
Add eggs, cabbage, onions, and any toppings like shrimp
Oil griddle to about 400 degrees,
Ladle in batter mix and flatten into round pancakes about 6-8 inches diameter
Sprinkle bacon pieces on each pancake
after about 3 minutes, flip pancake. It's easier if you use 2 spatulas. It's similar to how they do it in Japan.
When browned and firm, remove pancake and drizzle with mayo, okonomi sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds, bonito flakes and seaweed flakes.
Serve with some pickled ginger or other Japanese pickles like daikon.

A good non stick pan helps but any good large griddle will do.

Cheers,
Kato
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:03:45 pm by Kato_Shiroi »
To be truly happy, volunteer your talents, treat others with compassion and watch as much anime as possible...Mina san, Kampai!!!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2010, 11:53:23 pm »
Wow! So that's how you make okonomiyaki. I'm guessing the taste right now, and I am coming up with a sweetness, and kind of salty, with cabbage and onion thrown in. Somehow bacon seems odd in that mix to me. So does making this as a pancake instead of a dumpling.

Would squid work as well as bacon? I think that wouldn't necessarily be too hard for an otaku to find in Washougal.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline korin

• Chibi
    • Artfire Shop
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2010, 11:57:21 pm »
@ Jay Bug

Was it really necessary to quote an image that was literally one post above yours?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:57:52 pm by korin »

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2010, 05:54:19 am »
@ Jay Bug

Was it really necessary to quote an image that was literally one post above yours?

Yes, it was. We don't have a spoiler tag anymore to hide big pics. At a picture is better than nothing when we're talking about food. And while I cannot taste nor smell the foods here, I would like to reinforce that I think someone has done a very good job at creating something.

Have Fun

Jay

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2010, 08:57:12 am »
Wow! So that's how you make okonomiyaki. I'm guessing the taste right now, and I am coming up with a sweetness, and kind of salty, with cabbage and onion thrown in. Somehow bacon seems odd in that mix to me. So does making this as a pancake instead of a dumpling.

Would squid work as well as bacon? I think that wouldn't necessarily be too hard for an otaku to find in Washougal.

Oh yeah, you can omit the bacon. There are many regional variations of okonomiyaki. The one I listed is kind of a Kansai regional thing.
Okonomiyaki batter is a pretty generic base to which you can add all sorts things and toppings. In fact an Okonomiyaki shop will have a menu of choices to add to your order...just like ordering pizza here.

I like it because not only is it tasty it's versatile and fairly ease to make. Just make sure your cabbage (or any other veg like carrots) is finely shredded so it cooks evenly. With meats, some need to be pre-cooked like shrimp/pork as the frying time isn't long enough to cook them properly (safety first)

Ala cuisine, Dozo

ja ne
Kato
To be truly happy, volunteer your talents, treat others with compassion and watch as much anime as possible...Mina san, Kampai!!!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2010, 09:03:15 pm »
Can you tell those of us who haven't eaten any, what the brown glaze is?

And here I was thinking on making beans and franks for dinner tonight after work. Sigh. Oh, and butter some bread to go with it. Weird, I am having complete proteins with rice and peas, and then beans and bread. Must be close to payday on the wrong side, eh? lol

I guess I could go to the store and crock pot a roast beef over night. Toss in some peas, baby carrots, my wife loves those, potatoes, and then my own blend of secret seasonings. HA!! Secret seasonings, sure. I just decide then and there what to add as I go along. I do try not to add as many onions and garlic as I'd like, as my wife hates them. Poor thing.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2010, 09:22:43 pm »

I believe you're referring to the Okonomiyaki sauce? They drizzle it along with the mayo over it and sprinkle the seaweed and bonito flakes over it.

Here's the Okonomiyaki sauce (well one recipe for it anyway)

1/4 cup ketchup
1.5 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp dijon or chinese mustard (use chinese if you want it spicier)
2 tbsp Sake (cooking sake works well for this)
1 tsp Soy sauce
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp Mirin
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp honey

Combine above ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer for 1 minute or so over med heat stirring constantly (to keep sugars from burning)
If it's too tangy for your tastes add more honey, if it's too sweet add a bit more soy sauce.
Remove from heat and cool to room temp.
Put sauce in a squeeze type bottle and store in refridgerator.

And there's good eats
Ja ne!
Kato

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2010, 09:39:01 pm »
Forgot to take pictures of dinner again...but I made some carnitas soft tacos cooked with jalapeno, onion, garden fresh chili sauce & topped with fresh cilantro & lime. Oh how I love mexican food...

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2010, 10:33:52 pm »

I believe you're referring to the Okonomiyaki sauce? They drizzle it along with the mayo over it and sprinkle the seaweed and bonito flakes over it.

Here's the Okonomiyaki sauce (well one recipe for it anyway)

1/4 cup ketchup
1.5 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp dijon or chinese mustard (use chinese if you want it spicier)
2 tbsp Sake (cooking sake works well for this)
1 tsp Soy sauce
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp Mirin
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp honey

Combine above ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer for 1 minute or so over med heat stirring constantly (to keep sugars from burning)
If it's too tangy for your tastes add more honey, if it's too sweet add a bit more soy sauce.
Remove from heat and cool to room temp.
Put sauce in a squeeze type bottle and store in refridgerator.

And there's good eats
Ja ne!
Kato

What's Mirin? And if it is found in an Asian grocery, how can I read the label? lol

throw a little oyster sauce in there, and that sounds like a great roast beef sauce.

Forgot to take pictures of dinner again...but I made some carnitas soft tacos cooked with jalapeno, onion, garden fresh chili sauce & topped with fresh cilantro & lime. Oh how I love mexican food...

What goes in your garden fresh chili sauce? And what do you do for your carnitas? Do you buy the meat already marinated?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2010, 07:01:02 am »
For the chili sauce I just used Mike & Diane's Gourmet Kitchen - Ring of Fire "Garden Fresh" Chili Sauce which has a very well rounded balance of flavor & heat. For the pork, I will either just buy it from one of the many hispanic markets/delis in town, or if I have more time, (properly cooked carnitas easily take hours to slow cook) I can make it myself with garlic cloves, onion, salsa, water, broth & a little salt. Most traditional carnitas recipes use lard to cook in but I try to eat just a little healthier than that lol.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2010, 08:21:13 am »

pan seared ahi tuna with fried wonton crisps, I used a simple marinade then paper towle dried it before searing it, and the crisps were suprisingly easy to fry up
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2010, 08:24:23 am »
Mmmmmm...I love seered Ahi Tuna...dinner at your place? :P

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2010, 08:28:20 am »

What's Mirin? And if it is found in an Asian grocery, how can I read the label? lol

throw a little oyster sauce in there, and that sounds like a great roast beef sauce.

Ah, sorry about that, should have explained. Mirin is sweet cooking Sake (Japanese rice alcohol) and is actually easy to find in most grocery stores. It's even labeled Mirin in english on the shelves.
In some asian stores it's in kanji or hirigana (みりん) but often has it in english too.

Yeah, the oyster sauce would be a nice addition. Fun thing with sauces is that once you make the base sauce you can then start to tinker with it to your tastes.
I paid for college working in resturants and as a sous chef so got to work alot with sauces, dressings, marinades and rubs/spices.
It's probably why I love the Good Eats program. it's the science of food.

Have fun ne!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2010, 09:27:51 am »
Yup mirin is a def must have, I just realized that I didn't put what was in the marinade
mirin honey ginger soy sauce bit of hot mustard powder hnot of chinese 5 spice
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2010, 11:37:48 am »
Just thought I'd show one of my Sashimi dishes I made recently for a party. The pink block it's served on is Himalayan sea salt (chilled and lighted from underneath) which gives a nice flavor to the Ahi tuna. It's served with pickled ginger, citrus, diced onion, cucumber, daikon and dipping sauces.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:39:43 am by Kato_Shiroi »

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2010, 08:51:32 pm »
Holy Crow! Fancy! I don't do stuff like that. Guess I get to hungry first. lol

I got inspired to change my avatar. I look kind of like him. BUt with more hair, and mine is grayer. Actually he looks more like my father used to look.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:57:04 pm by jaybug »
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2010, 08:55:55 pm »
Time for me to put in more of my 50 bits. My triple cheese chicken patty special.

Take two slices of any kind of bread and add mayo and Mustard (For those who love spicy stuff I reccommend the country style mustard. For those with more sensitive palettes i recommend the honey mustard.).
A good chicken patty,  I recommend cooking it in a microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds to to cook it through completely.
Next add american swiss, sharp cheddar or pepperjack.
And finally addsome type of lunch meat whatever you like and BAM!!! I lunchtime delight. You also if you have any have the option of ading tomato to it or whatever veggies you see fit.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.