Author Topic: Makeup Thread  (Read 18965 times)

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Re: Makeup Thread
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2010, 11:57:07 am »
I need .. uhh ... I bought some makeup the other day at the store.  Talk about 30 minutes of awkward silence as I walked up and down the several makeup aisles.  Thankfully, I had my cell phone out that I kept checking (to look up what I should buy), thus perhaps giving the illusion that I was, you know, communicating with some hot babe that is my hypothetical girlfriend.  So hopefully the reaction was, "Aw, that guy dressed in all black with the metal t-shirt on is getting makeup for his girlfriend!" and not "OMG, CREEPER ALERT!! SECURITY!!!"

Anyways, I'm completely lost now. XDDD

Here's what I bought:

- Concealer (eye)
- Red lipstick, pink lipstick
- Mascara (black)
- Eyeliner (black)
- White sparkles xD
- Coconut* lime body mist

* I have a strange draw to coconut.  If I'm at work, head down, busy, and suddenly I get a whiff of coconut scented anything, I stop what I'm doing and look around to see where it's coming from.  Then I take a moment to enjoy the smell.  It really is almost intoxicating to me.  Like, I feel like I'm in love, haha. And find myself wishing I could follow that person around that smells so nice.  D:  Luckily for me, common sense prevails.  As much as I enjoy the smell of coconut, I fear the smell of pepper spray. xD

I probably need a few other things, too. Can anyone make some suggestions?  I'd like to buy some color for my nails, but I'm completely lost as to what all that would entail.  Like, I'm going to need to be able to remove it, yes?  So what do I need?

Anything else for my face?  Powders?  Blush?  I don't even know what these things mean, but they sound important!

Also, the whole .. 5 o'clock shadow thing still persists.  Gotta figure out how to cover that.  I heard covering your beard area with a red lipstick, blending it in, and then covering with concealer works .. but .. I tried that last night and my face just looked pink.  xD  Then again, I may have done it incorrectly.

Any suggestions? D:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:58:34 am by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
    • Kato's mini Japanese Anime, Culture and Hobby Page
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2010, 12:09:39 pm »
I need .. uhh ... I bought some makeup the other day at the store.

Any suggestions? D:

I think I can help here too. I'm one of the crossplayers who ran the Crossplay Panel at Kumori last year and at the last few Sakuracons and this is one of the topics I cover.

First, yeah shopping for makeup if you're a guy can be embarassing but if you go with friends it's not only alot more fun but easier.
If you're solo, I sometimes make a list of what I'm after and pretend I'm buying it for my girlfriend and they help me with the list.

As for makeup, you have a good start. Most important thing is to buy it for your skin tone (foundations) and also buy it for your cosplay character. For example for my Vocaloid character, I need purple tones. For my Princess Princess Mikoto I need pinks.
So depending on your cosplay you will want:
-2-3 shades of eye shadow
-mascara or false eyelashes
-orange concealer
-foundation
-neutral powder
-blush
-lip liner pencil
-eyebrow pencil
-good quality eyebrow tweasers
-eyelash curler
-brushes
-sponges
-qtips
-eye makeup remover
-general makeup remover wipes
-nail polish remover
-nail files
-nail colours

The beard stubble can be a real trick. You combine really close shaving, moisturizing and then apply an Orange corrector tint.
They make whole corrector colour wheels to correct for different tones/problem areas.

I get alot of my makeup from TG cosmetics here: https://www.tgcosmetics.com/home.asp

Look at their tutorials and also their foundations/correctors. I can help you with some of the finer points if you need.
Here's their tutorial page: https://www.tgcosmetics.com/tips/tips.htm

Cheers!
Kato ~ Crossplay Society
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:16:41 pm by Kato_Shiroi »
To be truly happy, volunteer your talents, treat others with compassion and watch as much anime as possible...Mina san, Kampai!!!

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2010, 04:20:46 pm »
Weee just found the "How to Cosplay Vol. 1 Transformation and special-effects make-up" issue! So much great advise.

Reppy here is some advise from the book on you stubble issues. Use a concealer thats close to the shade of your stubble and put that lightly over the area where the stubble is at and extend a little farther into the face. Then take a color thats slightly lighter than that and extend that even further into the face than the last cover. Then apply a small amount of red-tinted foundation. It even warns not to overdo it otherwise you draw more attention to it! XD Finally go over it with a light semi-translucent powder then go about putting on the rest of your make-up although if you are putting blush on you may want to do it before that final coat of powder
Secrety secrets!

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
    • Kato's mini Japanese Anime, Culture and Hobby Page
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2010, 04:29:31 pm »
Weee just found the "How to Cosplay Vol. 1 Transformation and special-effects make-up" issue! So much great advise.

Yeah, thats a great book. I use it alot as examples in my Crossplay Panels. I'm looking now for some of the other cosplay books in that line.
To be truly happy, volunteer your talents, treat others with compassion and watch as much anime as possible...Mina san, Kampai!!!

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2010, 04:47:34 pm »
I need to tint/color my eyebrows for varios cosplays. Right now they are a dark blonde color, but I need them lighter for one cosplay, dark blue for another, lightish blue for another, green for another, white for another, and dark blue for another xD how should I go about doing this? I tried the painting one for white eyebrows before, but it looked slightly silly and was ichy.
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2010, 04:49:53 pm »
Did you put glue on your eyebrows before painting them?

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2010, 04:57:54 pm »
yeah

Offline tas110

• Chibi
    • The Depp Squad
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2010, 07:03:15 pm »
I found the same eyeliner used in the pirates of the Caribbean movies for johnny depp (I guess thats telling you how anal I am about my cosplay)  :o

i basically just use a powder to get the tan on no liquid

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2010, 09:06:48 am »
thanks!

I have to get white eye liner anyways. I'll look for the eyeshadows today~

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2010, 11:38:39 am »
Does anyone have tips on removing false eyelashes? I'm so bad at explaining owo.

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2010, 12:02:10 pm »
Does anyone have tips on removing false eyelashes? I'm so bad at explaining owo.
you just peel them off.... o3o

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2010, 07:03:50 pm »

Take a wet paper towel/towel and put them over your eyelids for about 10 seconds. It should loosen the glue up.

Thanks 8D

Offline wolfy2491

• Chibi
    • My facebook~
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2010, 07:10:45 pm »
Cosplay makeup is my life. xD So glad I found this thread~

So, my friend was searching the internet and came across this website that has every single thing you guys are asking about.
Here's the makeup page
http://www.darkelements.ca/Tutorials/list.htm#makeup

Here's the regular webpage.
http://www.darkelements.ca/Tutorials/list.htm