Author Topic: How can I make my arms/legs into swords?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Triangle

• Cabbit
How can I make my arms/legs into swords?
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:55:23 pm »
So, recently I've fallen in love with this game called 'The Suffering'. Specifically its symbolic enemies called Malefactors. There are several types of malefactors in the game, and each types appearance is linked to a specific form of execution done to criminals in the past. At some point I'd like to try cosplaying the most common malefactor type, 'Slayers', who were linked to execution by beheading.

The main problem I'm running into is that they have swords/blades for limbs. More specifically they have normal human shoulders and upper arms, and a few inches of forearm before...well honestly it looks like the limb was hacked off at that point and replaced with a sword blade. The process is much the same for the legs and sword-bits begins a few inches below the knees.

Now, as I am not a quadruple amputee I have these fleshy arms and legs already in place and they are kind of getting in the way of a potential costume. :P

So, does anyone here have experience or just ideas for how a costume could give the illusion of blade arms/legs?
Anyone have experience in making swords they might share? Things like materials and tutorials might be useful for this project too, since I don't really have that much experience in making weapon props yet. If you want you can ask and I'll try to find some references of the Slayers but it's a bit of a pain. <3

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
Re: How can I make my arms/legs into swords?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 12:16:25 am »
Posting some pictures may help us...help you. :)

is this a reference you are looking for?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:22:34 am by princessmoon »
And so it begins...

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 12:24:08 am »
 . Gah, sry wrong button.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:24:40 am by princessmoon »
And so it begins...

Offline Triangle

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:30:22 am »
Somewhat, though that is fanart. Screenshots are a pain in the arse to find.
Here:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:31:17 am by Triangle »

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 03:15:21 pm »
this is a toughy. ALthough I do have to agree that if I were gonna cosplay a malefactor, this'd be the one I'd do.
Maybe there's someway you could cheat your legs away...
If this were a play I'd know just how to do it but as I cosplay I'm not sure :D
I eat toasters 0_o

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT/ED/PA d—s-: a- - C+++ L E W+++N o+ K++w+ O+ M - - V PS+ PE+ Y PGP t+++ 5+ X++ R  tv+ b+++ DI+ D G++ e++ h- !r  x-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 04:15:54 pm »
For the arms, the swords seem to come from the elbow. For this make your arms appear bigger with the fabric used for the upper arm and then around your lower arm use tighter fabric. To elongate your arm you can make it like a glove with wire to hold the shape past your hands.

If you are good enough with balance, you could use stilts for the swords and then from the knee up would be your body. You'd just have to make the fabric around your feet resemble the knee which would be easy. (Just billow the fabric)
If you suck at balance, you can use the same design as for the arms. For your feet it would be difficult. You could find the color of the ground you will be walking on and make a shoe cover that color or you could get weighted ballet slippers which make you walk on point. Your feet would die but then would be easier to make into swords.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 06:30:42 pm »
well for the hands, the blade pretty much starts at the wrists, so just make the blade a little thick and hollow, (at least at the hilt, as it were) with a handle inside, so you can just stick your hands in and hide them. They shouldn't be too hard.
It's just the feet that get me.
I'd have to agree that if you could, stilts would probably carry the look the best, buuut...not everyone was made for stilts. :D
I eat toasters 0_o

GAT/ED/PA d—s-: a- - C+++ L E W+++N o+ K++w+ O+ M - - V PS+ PE+ Y PGP t+++ 5+ X++ R  tv+ b+++ DI+ D G++ e++ h- !r  x-

Offline Triangle

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 02:58:12 pm »
Thanks for the ideas people. :)

I'm actually considering making a slayer captain instead. They're the type I xed out in the above pictures. Reason being that their 'hands' look infinitely easier to fit my hands into somehow.

Ticra, would the play style cheat you had in mind involve wearing a black bodysuit underneath everything and just kind of setting up the leg blades around it?  ;)
(That's what I considered at least. Wouldn't really work anywhere but a stage though lol.)

I agree that the feet are the hardest part. Sure to think up something though.

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 08:32:39 pm »
yes. :D
I'm a stage kid, it's always my first thought, so I was like "OOH OOH I KNOW!" and then I realized it wouldn't actually work in person. >.>
I eat toasters 0_o