Author Topic: How can you stick with one?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
How can you stick with one?
« on: July 16, 2010, 03:40:44 pm »
Sorry if there's already a thread about this, but it's been on my mind for a while.
How can you limit yourself to just one cosplay?
For example, I'd like to cosplay all of Nia Teppelin's outfits, and have her as my only cosplay so I can do a good job.
Unfortunately, every time I see something cute, or a good anime, I feel the need to cosplay it.
How do people limit themselves to just one character, and stick with it?
Is this even possible, haha.
Halp~?

Offline Spontaneous

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
Re: How can you stick with one?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 03:48:44 pm »
As much as I'd love to cosplay all my favorite characters, I have priorities. Yeah, cosplay is tons of fun, but is it really going to help me get a better future? Do I really want to spend so much time on a costume that I might wear for a couple of days max, when I could be doing other things with my summer?

This doesn't mean I'm against cosplay- I'm all for it! It's just my way of limiting myself.
Day 1: Natalia Lanvaldear
Day 2: Mikasa Ackerman
Day 3: Maya Fey

tumblr
deviantart

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:59:11 pm »
...money constraints with props...*whistles*

also time- I have no sewing ability so I usually commission my stuff and I want to make sure it comes out RIGHT so by the time one outfit is done I maybe have enough time for one more outfit to be done.

But mostly it's cause I am lazy and I don't want to go to my hotel room and change outfits twice a day.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 04:01:33 pm »
Haha, I suppose those are all valid ways.
Unfortunately I have a bunch of money I don't need usually, and there's nothing like that stopping me.
It's like when I see a new anime, I suddenly like those characters more then the ones I already cosplay. xD

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 06:33:21 pm »
I don't. I just pace myself, and if I didn't really want to make the costume then by the time I get to it I just skip it.

Unfortunately, though, sometimes I end up adding costumes that I simply have to make or I'll go insane, and other costumes get pushed back because of that.

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 06:35:44 pm »
I usually set my priorities straight with costumes, according to budget and how much I would enjoy/like the cosplay.
Also when I make a set of costumes, I only buy materials for the costume Im currently working on incase I have to cancel another, so I don't spend extra money buying material for a cosplay I probably will not make for a while.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:10:53 pm »
I guess what I'm saying is more like, how do I keep myself from being tempted by other cute characters? xD

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 08:23:59 pm »
Watch less cute stuff.

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:36:54 pm »
I have a folder in my computer for all the cosplays I'd like to do but am not working on until I'm done with what I've already started.  The rule is I can work on any of them when I finish the one I'm currently working on.  So the folder gets all the reference photos I happen across. 

I also print out a page and stick it in a clear page protector for each character, and in it goes all loose sketches for construction.  It's enough to keep me satisfied for a while. 

And if you have excess money, throw it in a bank.  A CD can keep it out of your hands for a good six months.  And stay as much out of craft stores as you can, so it's not so much on your mind.;)

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 12:39:22 am »
I limit to two or three at a time, rewearing my favorites but always trying to wear one new costume to each con.

Offline AgehaIX

• Catgirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 01:22:24 am »
Aiya Shay. I, too, have the same problem.
kcon 13': Ranma Saotome, TBA, TBA

Offline ainekatt

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 01:31:46 am »
Dude, doing only one cosplay would be so impossible.

I'm having a tough time forcing myself into doing four, haha.

And there's a voice in my head saying "You know what, who cares if you're already doing Yuna, Vanille, Craig and Sarah Jane? You should do Pajama Sam too."

I commend you, little voice, but you're crazy.

Currently working on: Toni Ipres - Hanna is Not a Boy's Name

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 10:40:55 am »
Well I typically take a few costumes to con but once I get there I end up wearing one more than the other. I set days aside for some but after a while I want to change back to a different one. But it is nice to have options :D

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 05:16:22 pm »
I just find that cosplaying certain characters are more fun than others. :3 At a con, if I bring more than one costume, I'll usually just stick with the one I'm having more fun with.

In general I never have that many costumes at any given time that I want to do. I've had the same list, sans one added, for over a year now of cosplays I'd like to do. I guess I'm just lucky that way. :P But when I actually DO the cosplay I put a lot of money and effort into it to get it right.

It might also help that I'm not that much into anime anymore.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline leadpoppy

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 09:34:04 pm »
Well, if money wasn't an issue for me I would most likely be doing more than one cosplay. But seeing as how I am poor, this sailor fuku will have to do. Cosplaying more than four characters would really take a lot out of me...and my wallet. Lol. I'm a first time cosplayer, but I think it would save a lot of time just sticking to a few, ya know? Or maybe I'm just lazy, lol.

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 10:07:22 pm »
the only thing keeping me from cosplaying as many Rin Kagamine outfits as I can is the fact that I don't have any friends who interested enough in Vocaloid to do it with me. (Though I know plenty of you who would be willing here on this site! so that's always nice)

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 11:06:39 am »
the only thing keeping me from cosplaying as many Rin Kagamine outfits as I can is the fact that I don't have any friends who interested enough in Vocaloid to do it with me. (Though I know plenty of you who would be willing here on this site! so that's always nice)
I CAN BE YOUR LEN. xD

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 01:58:43 pm »
Are we talking one character ever or one character per con?

If it's one character and one character only ever, I'm not sure. Cosplay is so much fun that I want to try multiple outfits.

If you go to a convention with only one cosplay, that I can explain. For Kumoricon '09, Sakuracon '10, and this year's Kumoricon I have two cosplays to go in/went with. The only reason why I have multiple cosplays is that my secondary cosplay is decently cheap and easy to make.  Doing something that's fancy or detailed takes a lot of time and a lot of money, so I can't really afford to do more than one. I've been averaging around $100-200 per costume I make.

After working so hard on a detailed cosplay, I really want to show it off. I'm more baffled by people who go to conventions with more than three cosplays.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"