Author Topic: Kumoricon compared to conventions in other areas  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Chibi_Kyo_chan

• Oni
Kumoricon compared to conventions in other areas
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:09:12 pm »
So basically I just moved here from the Ohio area all the way to Oregon and I find it very exciting to know that there is a convention out here.  Now onto the reasons why I made this post...

1.) Is this con any good? I come from the mid west so I'm used to places like Acen, Anime Punch, Ohayocon, sugoi con, matsuricon so on and so forth.

2.) When is a good time to reserve a room? and if it's already out of rooms where is the nearest hotel to book one?

3.) nothing else really I'm just stoked I could meet new friends :P I left all of mine in Ohio =[
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:54:10 pm by JeffT »

Offline FateChooseMe

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: READ ME!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:11:06 pm »
Well I have to say, as every other con, it has it's flaws but I've been going faithfully for years.
<3

I'm excited to meet you!
Welcome to Oregon.
Cosplay;
SeeU - Vocaloid3
Trainer (Dawn) - PKMN Plantinum
Namine - TWEWY

Offline Chibi_Kyo_chan

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:13:17 pm »
:D

Thank you!

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 11:32:41 pm »
Kcon's chill, we've got our ups and downs, but it's a good con. welcom to Oregon, hope you don't mind the rain and odd weather patterns. As I always say 'It's Oregon, give it 5 minutes, it'll change.'
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:54:46 am »
as with any event, you can have as much fun as you want to.
It also depends on what kind of acitvities do you like/look for in a convention
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 05:31:15 pm »
Greetings Chibi_Kyo_chan,

I am Animeman73 and I've lived in Portland, Oregon since 1978. I can say Kumoricon has it's ups and down mostly ups. And I HIGHLY recommend going. I found that every year it's been worthwhile. As to when to register my philosophy is no better time than the present.  And I hope to see you there.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:53:07 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:08:21 pm »
welcome to oregon and dont be suprised when you see my science teacher looking up in awe at the sky on a sunny day yelling that theres an unknown ball of fire in the sky.

Anyways this will be my first K'con, but i have heard nothing but good!

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 10:36:00 pm »
Greetings!

Sorry to hear you missed Acen this year, I heard they had an X-JAPAN world premier and megatokyo creator!

We don't have the infrastructure for Japanese guests like some of the larger midwest cons and the big coast
cons... but what we DO have is a passionate fan base that does a lot of home-brewed content. We are a big
cosplay, artists alley, creation station, amv, fan-fic based group... but that doesn't stop us from having other
great content and guests!

In that way I'd say we are most like Matsuricon, we are fairly young but growing and getting into our niche of
the fandom. Although I haven't been to Matsuri-con myself, I actually had a friend in MHCC who went in 2007 and
had a blast!

The mode (most frequently occurring age) age of our convention is about 21-22, if that gives you a perspective of
where our content comes from. Anything else, feel free to ask.

-Ally
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Chibi_Kyo_chan

• Oni
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 12:06:26 am »
Thank you guys so much for the useful information :) and I will most deff see all those who are planning to attend this year there. Because I'm deff going :D

lol You'll see a group of ohioians screaming Hey boy! hey! the whole time  if we aren't in some type of air gear cosplay :DD
   [/b][/color]

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 07:37:05 am »
Welcome to our state! Home of the... beaver.
I have to say k con is a lot of fun. It's kinda small, but in a good way.
I suggest booking the hotel now.

Save Caprica!!

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 08:41:53 am »
Welcome Chib_Kyo_chan.  Waldport huh...  Say hi to my folks for me.  They live about a block North of the skatepark on Crestline.  The picket fenced front yard with the annoying Dachshund that hates skateboarders and bikes.  If you need a good cosplay or work done on your BJD (Ball-Joint Doll) then my mom is the person to see.  She also likes anime.  Tell her Terry sent you.   ;D

Next time I am over there I'll bring some pics of KumoriCon to show you (I have a few hundred).

I am the guy in Eugene who shows anime every Friday to the local bunch of anime otaku.  I have over two terabytes of stuff on my drives and more burned off to storage.

You may also want to visit the Introduction Thread and Tell us a bit about yourself.  A good place to learn about some of the other members here as well.

Welcome to Oregon!   ;D
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 02:46:34 pm »
Welcome to our crazy state & to the K-con forum family Chibi_Kyo_chan. That's awsome that you have had the chance to go to Acen...I have always wanted to check that con out.

I think that you will enjoy K-con. As was already stated, it has it's ups & downs like any other con but I personally have fun anyway. If I were you, I would look into booking your room as early as you can...you never know when they will be filled.

Also...some food for thought here...there is an amazing convention in Seattle at the beginning of April each year that a lot of the people here like to attend as well. It's called Sakura-con & it would be the bigger convention in the northwest. I highly recommend trying to make it there as well if you are one to travel a little. There are a couple other cons within travelling distance that I hear are great also (Akicon & one other that I remember) but I haven't attended them myself so I will let someone else fill you in on those.

Once again...WELCOME! I hope that you enjoy yourself here in Oregon & at the convention! Always looking forward to meeting new friends at con :D

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 06:23:31 pm »
Hey yo.

K-con is chill, chill as my nizzle.

Im new too but we just gonna eat the poo.  Yeaahhhhhh.....

(Im just funky with the Hachibi rap if ya know what Im sayin'.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:24:31 pm by NARUNIK »

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 06:29:57 pm »
The anime convention is really fun.
Nothing to worry about all depending on your opionions on staff.

Rooming happens as it happens,
we are still trying to get roommates for con [father and i]

Nice to meet you~!

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Re: Kumoricon compared to conventions in other areas
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 12:54:37 pm »
I moved this thread to "General Kumoricon", and changed to a more specific subject line.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Vexenification

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 01:03:45 pm »
Welcome to Oregon, land of rain, and rain, and guess what? More rain! :D
This'll be my first con, but I'm going with a bunch of my friends, and they've told me nothing but insanity and awesomeness goes on inside those con-filled walls.
Hope to see you there :)
Fem!Eleven, Vexen, Animal Crossing
#Richard Brooks was Real

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 10:46:00 am »
As others have said, welcome to Oregon! Enjoy our endless bits of rain. :)

As for your questions...

1.) Is this con any good? I come from the mid west so I'm used to places like Acen, Anime Punch, Ohayocon, sugoi con, matsuricon so on and so forth.
It's not a huge convention by any means, and sometimes can be rather disorganized, but it's still a pretty good convention... And pretty much the only anime convention you'll find in Oregon. There's the Sakura Con in Washington but, well, that's in Washington. :P
There's usually enough to see and do while you're there, most of which are panels (though not much in the line of special guests usually), but if you keep an open mind you should enjoy yourself.

2.) When is a good time to reserve a room? and if it's already out of rooms where is the nearest hotel to book one?
I assume you don't live in Portland? If not, the best time to reserve a room I assume would be at least two or three months in advance. Granted, I live in Portland and don't need to stay in a hotel, and the only convention I've ever reserved a room for was the Star Wars Celebration IV and Star Wars Celebration V this year, where the room was reserved about six or seven months ahead of time.
As for where to go if the hotel is full... Well, the location of KumoriCon changes from year to year so I don't really know how to answer that. This year it's at the Hilton downtown, as it was last year, but I don't know what other hotels are in the area.

3.) nothing else really I'm just stoked I could meet new friends I left all of mine in Ohio =[
I'm sure you'll be able to make plenty of new friends here. :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:47:40 am by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline Chibi_Kyo_chan

• Oni
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 09:57:37 pm »
Right on :D

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 07:45:47 pm »
Hello, Negima here.  Tall guy with glasses and remnants of a tan I got from Hawaii.  Veteran KCon-goer until grad school came along these past 3 cons.

I've been to 3 different Con-areas for quite a while now (Kumoricon, Sakuracon, KawaiiKon (Hawaii)) so I'll be judging compared to those.

KCon is more of a fan-convention compared to an industry-convention meaning we're less likely to get the really BIG names (although they still do come).  There's more of a closeness to everyone here since it isn't too big and we can be close to the guests and staff.  Given the variety of people who go to KCon you're bound to find a group to hang out with.
Overall it's a convention where we have a lot of fun and can hang out and chill without having to worry about large groups trampling all over us.  All we ask is to have patience with the technical difficulties that are bound to happen and to not go sugar-crazy-berserk at the con.

For room and registration, I suggest pre-reging as earlier as possible since there will be a cap on attendence.  There was a bit of a problem with the number of people who came and the size of the hotel/con space.  The hotel room is up to you though.  I always found it fun to stay at the hotel so I don't have to constantly go back and forth from the con every night but not staying there will save you some money.  Try to find others to room with.