Author Topic: Charity Auction Charity  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Charity Auction Charity
« on: December 10, 2009, 11:06:24 pm »
Heya all,
Since the charity auction started, we have picked the same charity each year.  It was brought up to me that we might want to look at other charities as well for the 2010 con year.  So, I thought I would get some feedback on this and also hear what your favored local charities are. 

Three charities have been mentioned to me:
* Outside In
* Cat Adoption Team
* An art program that I forgot the name of. (I will edit the post once I get the name)

Some notes:
For any new charity that we seriously think about going with, I would have a meeting with them to see if they want to work with us. I would be interested to see if there are additional ways we can help them outside of just the monetary donations.   
Kcon is not going to help fund any political or religous group. 
Any charity will be researched to make sure they use funds effectively and for thier intended purpose.
A charity should relate to Kcon in some way.  I guess it doesn't definitly need to be local, but we could do more to help a local charity than a national. 

Our charity for the past few years has been P:ear, and staying with them is definitly an option as well.

So, okay, discuss :)
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
Re: Charity Auction Charity
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:18:41 am »
neeeeevermind I have no idea what I'm talking about
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:19:16 am by Hazuza »

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:22:21 am »
neeeeevermind I have no idea what I'm talking about

Hrmm?  If I was unclear or if you have any questions just let me know :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 06:25:48 am »
N-no, I just didn't read through the whole post, sorry about that. ^^;

Offline lover-of-the-pepsi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 07:29:33 pm »
Hmm....what about the Oregon Humane Society? I'ts a pretty well known animal shelter.
"A friend is someone who will help you move. A best friend is someone who will help you move a body" -Unknown

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 03:50:45 pm »
I can see keeping it local, but then local region or local as in oregon...

There is the oregon food bank, they do good work, and lets face it, there are lots of orego peeps with out jobs right now, and those familys have kids,
One year oregon had the highest number of people who went to bed hungery, and highest number of obese.

in this idea there is also sisters of the road
http://www.sistersoftheroad.org/wa/sisters/info/179/

also Uwajimaya does a lot of fund rasieing for diabitis, anyone remeber the little paper animals of the zodiac they sell for a buck  for it?, a relative of the owners has it, I could see the potentional of teaming with them on a fundraiser during sakura fest, this one is close to my heart as my best friend died at age 20 of childhood diabitis, right after the first k-con
just some ideas
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 07:44:51 pm »
Oh, a food bank might be awesome.  I am just back from an Orycon meeting, and they reported that they had gotten all the leftover con suite food to a food bank.  It was like 218 pounds of food.  If we have peoples from the foodbank on site on our last day anyway for the auction, it might be possible to coordinate some sort of plan where they wisk away some of our leftovers.  Orycon got a receipt for the donation, so our extra foods might even be a tax deductable donation.   Me likely. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline lover-of-the-pepsi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 09:30:01 pm »
I like that idea too.....nice one superjaz ^.^
"A friend is someone who will help you move. A best friend is someone who will help you move a body" -Unknown

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:47:26 pm »
don't stop at con suite, think of all uge attendees who bring things like ramen and pop tarts to con, who wants to lug what they don't eat home ? If there is a way we can collect it, think of the positive
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Sakurakisser

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 10:52:07 pm »
How about having a barrel.. or err food might get smooshed so maybe a small booth where attendees can donate such treats to them while staff can collect them and organize them into boxes or bins depending on the mass?
"Be what you would seem to be or, if you'd like it put more simply. Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared"

Offline UtadaFan20

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 07:59:38 pm »
I think Outside In would be a great one to donate to. I would not have a job right now and be able to support me and my family if it weren't for them. There are some great kids there that are working really hard to get internship's through them but there budget to pay for them and help out the kids with there Transportation, Clothes, food, Shelter (Great food and shelter program), is pretty small for the amount of kids there getting. They also give out great medical care and to go to great lengths to help everybody they can to be able to support themselves. They are an awsome program with amazing people, they could just use a little extra help now and then.
Kumoricon 2012??????

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 03:23:31 pm »
I've heard of them; they seem to be quite reputable.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh