Author Topic: LBGTQ Meet-Up 2010  (Read 4215 times)

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
LBGTQ Meet-Up 2010
« on: March 30, 2010, 01:00:54 pm »
Hello everybody, I just wanted to switch threads because the other one has been dead for quite a while and I thought a new thread would be more attractive to people who were not involved previously. I would like to use this thread to discuss what all of you would like to do with this panel this year and what improvements you think I should make.

My own thoughts on this matter are as follows: I had absolutely no clue that so many people would show up and had prepped to have a small, casual discussion group and instead found myself trying to facilitate 60+ people in what I couldn't help but think of as "The Fan-Girl Panel: Queer Edition". I think considering how different it was than what I expected, it went wonderfully and I am very excited to facilitate it again. However, I feel like it would help if I were a little more organized this year and I'd love it if all of you could recommend things you'd like to see/talk about. IE: Should we focus on queer related anime that came out this year? Should we talk about queer issues in American otakudom? Should we talk about queer issues in Japan? Should I make some sort of PowerPoint?

Thank all of you who attended last year for a wonderful panel and I hope that everyone who attends this year will have an even better time!
~Raven

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
Re: LBGTQ Meet-Up 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:10:30 am »
Haha, well, I would be more concerned but I think I'm just a little too early right now. But yes, one thing I'd like to discuss this year: "Should homophobic views of writers/voice actors/directors/etc cause their work itself to be viewed negatively?" For example: If there was a manga you really enjoyed and then you got to the end and they said something really homophobic in their afterward, should you not support their other work?

As always, feel free to pop in with comments/suggestions/replies; try not to talk this one to death on the forums though, I really want to talk about it in the live group. :D

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:40:38 am »
Well, I don't fit into any part of the LBGTQ equation but I am sensitive to their rights, needs, and sensibilities.  To me, finding out someone I looked up to is a bigot is a real let down.  So, when I read something like that, I have to first assume it was a comment made simply out of ignorance (not realizing how it could be interpreted negatively) or meant to be a "joke" that wasn't harmful.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:57:09 pm »
Well, I'm totally for LBGTG equality, and I've never experienced reading something overly inappropriate and homophobic.

If I can compare, while I was reading Lovely Bones, a book I liked, a part came up about animal lives being worth much less then humans. This bugged me beyond no end, yet I still accepted the overall book as good. So I think the same would be for if it was a homophobic remark.

Offline Michiyo

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 06:29:48 pm »
Good to see a new thread for this.

I personally have run into no problems at cons or in the general populace of otakus. Everyone I've ever met at a con has been really great. I think when you're an otaku, even if you start out close-minded, you become more open-minded as you get more into it, since yaoi and yuri in both canon and fandom are such big things, and crossplayers are really common at cons. I know a number of people who did change as they got more into the whole otaku community. We're just an accepting bunch, and it rubs off on people. At least that's what I think.

As for what we should do, I liked when we talked about how different yaois and yuris portray the LGBTQ community in both positive and negative ways. That was very interesting, since once I thought about it, a lot of the series I really liked, some of which I still like, are ridiculous and unrealistic. Other than that, the discussion will probably just go wherever it goes, as long as it has a jumping off point.
And although I know you already know this, definitely a bigger room and way more time would be good. Last time the conversation got cut off by time contraints just when it was really interesting.
Kumoricon '12 Cosplays:

Rainbow Dash (MLP:FiM) - 80% done
Jake English (Homestuck) - 70% done

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 07:22:27 pm »
And although I know you already know this, definitely a bigger room and way more time would be good. Last time the conversation got cut off by time contraints just when it was really interesting.

I asked for both this year and got the form in pretty early so hopefully it'll work out. Glad to hear you enjoyed it last year :)

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 03:13:34 pm »
Hopefully this notice reaches some people... Thinking of making a power-point presentation reviewing 2010 anime with queer characters just as a jumping-off point for the rest of the discussion; anybody have anything they think I absolutely need to mention?

Hope to see lots of you there :)

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 03:26:11 pm »
Thank you all for a wonderful panel again this year! I look forward to it being even *better* next year.

I would also like to announce that there is now a mailing list and we are talking about having (perhaps multiple) meet-ups outside of Kcon, likely around Portland. PM me if you would like to be added to the mailing list and/or keep an eye on the forums for updates :)

Oh and I totally forgot, this is a list of the series that were mentioned this year, in order:
Canaan
Axis Powers Hetalia
Baka to Test
Bakemonogatari
Kuroshitsuji II
Hourou Musuko
Sasameki Koto
Complex
Strawberry Panic!
Strawberry Shake Sweet
Loveless
Junjou Romantica
Afterschool Nightmare
My Two Wings
Eerie Queerie
Kashimashi
Pretty Face
Hands Off!
Kyo Kara Maoh
Gravitation
Gakuen Heaven
Angel Sanctuary
Earthian
Meine Liebe
Boy Princess
Princess Princess
Le Chavelier D'eon
Legal Drug
Vassallord
Shounen Onmyoji
Plica
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:11:10 pm by murder_of_raven »

Offline Michiyo

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 04:49:55 pm »
Oh yeah, I wanted to mention a couple more, but I forgot them during the panel.
For series with extreme amounts of subtext, try Ookiku Furikabutte, Karneval, Pandora Hearts, Haibane Renmei and Nabari no Ou.
There's also No Bra, a comedy that has a male to female transsexual as a major character.
Kumoricon '12 Cosplays:

Rainbow Dash (MLP:FiM) - 80% done
Jake English (Homestuck) - 70% done

Offline Hawkochen

• Oni
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 12:59:00 am »
You know what, Raven?

I joined this forum just so I could find you and this thread.

Also to ask about the possibility of getting the Leetstreet Boys to play at the con next year, but that's another story in itself. XD

Anyway, I would love to be put on a mailing list. I don't live anywhere near Portland, but I'd be more than happy to help with any meet-ups or planning if you need me.

This is the Hiei cosplayer, by the way. Though my friends call me Hawk.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:59:47 am by Hawkochen »
Hey, look. A signature. With words. Hilarious.

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 02:16:15 am »
Ohaiyo! Thanks for stopping in and saying hi, I have added you to the mailing list. We are currently working out the details of meet-ups and such and (although I am sad to hear you live far away) I will be certain to keep you up to date. :)

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 10:52:56 am »
Ohohoh, add me to the mailing list :D   I tried to make it to the meet-up and I COULDN'T FIND THE ROOM. That was frustrating. I circled the area probably ten times and asked several people and then gave up. I'd love to come to meet-ups and to LBGTQ2011, so yeah, email me please XD  scrum.yummy@gmail.com

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 12:27:50 pm »
Oh noes! I hope not too many other people experienced that problem; it was a sorta tricky place to find. But yes, I have absolutely added you and planning seems to be going smoothly, we will likely be ready to discuss details with everybody soon :)

Offline blazinghydro

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 12:26:28 am »
I was at the panel this year, it was interesting; Im glad I went. I was the one after it was over that asked you why you decided not to transition. Anyways, please add me to the list Blazing_Hydro@yahoo.com :D

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 08:27:57 pm »
Hey everybody, the first LGBTQ meet-up outside Kumoricon is planned for October 2nd, in downtown Portland. PM me for details :)

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 02:08:20 pm »
Hey guys! I was hoping that I hadn't missed any emails about meet-ups, I just thought about the fact that there hadn't been any for a while. Here's hoping for more! :D

And that this goes down at k-con 2011.