Author Topic: Kumoricon Location Idea  (Read 10932 times)

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
Re: Kumoricon Location Idea
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2010, 04:27:47 pm »
K-Con is at an awkward stage I just hope this isn't the end of it. I want to see K-Con go on because it's so much fun.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2010, 10:24:00 pm »
o.o i would love it if it was in the doubletree. just cuz it was the first con i was interested in going to (but couldn't cuz of parents lol) and i heard that it was nicer compared to last year's (which was my first con lol) and i didn't like it AT ALL! it was too crowded, i had to walk up the stairs to get to the karaoke!!! AND the elevators were STUFFED! ugghz! @.@

all in all i vote for the double tree hotel! (just cuz my friends told me it was nicer there and "roomier")

but just outta curiousity? has anyone thought about doing it in the rose quarter? i mean i've seen conventions done in there? i mean it's relaly nice. and they have ton of room too <.< just putting that out there >.<

I'm pretty sure the Rose Quarter is too big for us, not to mention there isn't a connecting hotel.
KCon is at a weird stage with its attendence.  We're too big for small hotels and too small for big convention sites and unfortunately there isn't a convenient, easy-to-reach hotel in the area that fits us perfectly.

well i meant the convention center there portland. not the rose quarter lol sorry. i mean i've seen smaller meetings done there! and i know it's possible to do it there, but i'm not sure if you guys considered that >.< and i saw several hotels around there, and i mean i wouldn't mind riding the max down, i mean last year i had to ride the max everyday from beaverton to portland, and i'm like 45 min or so away >.<

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2010, 12:57:19 am »
well i meant the convention center there portland. not the rose quarter lol sorry. i mean i've seen smaller meetings done there! and i know it's possible to do it there, but i'm not sure if you guys considered that >.< and i saw several hotels around there, and i mean i wouldn't mind riding the max down, i mean last year i had to ride the max everyday from beaverton to portland, and i'm like 45 min or so away >.<

Here are two problems that are often brought up when thinking about the OCC:

1. Price: Hotels subsidize their convention space WAY CHEAP because we book so many of their rooms. In a funny way, your booking and paying for a hotel room sorta pays for the convention space and the registration pays for the difference and the events and equipment. (that is an incredibly cut and dry way of looking at it, but at least you get the picture.) With the Oregon Convention Center, it would be hard to get as much subsidies as we get from the hotels for that space. In the end, the price would be much, much more than we pay now... and thats significant to a convention of our size.

2. Distances: If you thought crossing the block last year in the rain and the dark was tough, wait till the convention is at the OCC and you are walking 2 - 10 blocks back to your hotel. I'm not saying it isn't do-able, I could do it easily. I have no qualms walking at 11pm in the dark or rain back to my hotel, but I'm not a 14 year old girl in a Sailor Scout uniform. Our attendees consist of people who we have to consider at all times, including those with heavy or elaborate costumes that have issues with weather or security, two things that... once outside of convention space, we cannot control.

These aren't excuses, these are situations, I am always looking for good ideas on how to combat them... it just takes a lot of brain power..

I know that Kumoricon will keep thriving, we just have to get through the growing pains and find our comfort zone.
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2010, 08:40:40 pm »
i c what you're saying, and i know we're not that big of a con, yet. but i mean i'm thinking of all the other cons i could think of in the US, and all that comes in mind are the big ones.. T_T and most of those are done in actual convention stadiums. T___T i mean we are big enough for that but i know the costs will go up, and it might be a hassle for younger ppl, but either way, it's still dangerous either way. ughz i wish there was a convention center with a hotel right next to it! ._. or a bigger hotel!

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2010, 07:41:58 am »
You and me both sister!
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2010, 05:41:21 pm »
waaa~ ;A; we need magic! =w=

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2010, 10:09:38 am »
Wait! So Kumoricon has basically hit puberty? Urgh.... poor con. I hope this awkward phase passes soon and I commend you wonderful people for working through it!
Secrety secrets!