Author Topic: Camera's  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
Camera's
« on: December 26, 2010, 11:36:39 am »
Okay so I posted a thread like this a while back but it got buried in the forums.

I'm seriously in the market for a new camera. For taking pictures of Cosplay (and other costume needs). (thus it's in cosplay. *wink wink*)

I'm wondering about camera's that others use, and what they like and don't like.
I have a dinky Canon digital camera point-and-shoot, and I'm looking to upgrade to something a little more professional quality. My brother got a Canon Powershot SX30 IS for Christmas and it seems like a really nice camera. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular camera as well.

Advice? Thoughts?
I eat toasters 0_o

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT/ED/PA d—s-: a- - C+++ L E W+++N o+ K++w+ O+ M - - V PS+ PE+ Y PGP t+++ 5+ X++ R  tv+ b+++ DI+ D G++ e++ h- !r  x-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Offline frogger

• Sailor Scout
Re: Camera's
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 12:29:40 pm »
I also got the same camera as your brother i love it the only thing i don't like is before you take a picture the screen is blurry but the picture comes out great I also like the video on the camera it is easey and comes out fantastic.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 12:40:13 pm »
I'm seriously in the market for a new camera. For taking pictures of Cosplay (and other costume needs). (thus it's in cosplay. *wink wink*)

No need to convince me. :) It's quite true, cosplay is one part sewing/props/makeup/wigs, one part attention to detail, one part being in-character, one part photography.

(And of course, one part just having fun with it.)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 01:07:19 pm »
Lemme ask you this: what sort of price range are you working with?

If money is no object (hahaha!) then you'll want one with lots of options.  Indoor ability is huge, so look for ones that specify still motion, various lighting options, and getting rid of red eyes.

You'll also want to consider going to a place that will have experts giving you proper advice.  In my opinion, Best Buy is a good place to go because they hire people with specific knowledge for various departments.  They'll most likely have someone who'll have some idea on how cons work (possibly even congoers), so they'll possibly know what you want.

Above all, once you get a camera, PRACTICE!!!  That's the most important thing with photographic equipment.  Even if you're a professional, it's good to get familiar with your new gear, so that you'll show your abilities out in the field.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 01:41:23 pm »
Lemme ask you this: what sort of price range are you working with?

If money is no object (hahaha!) then you'll want one with lots of options.  Indoor ability is huge, so look for ones that specify still motion, various lighting options, and getting rid of red eyes.

You'll also want to consider going to a place that will have experts giving you proper advice.  In my opinion, Best Buy is a good place to go because they hire people with specific knowledge for various departments.  They'll most likely have someone who'll have some idea on how cons work (possibly even congoers), so they'll possibly know what you want.

Above all, once you get a camera, PRACTICE!!!  That's the most important thing with photographic equipment.  Even if you're a professional, it's good to get familiar with your new gear, so that you'll show your abilities out in the field.

Haha, yeeeeaah, I wish money was no object. I have a fair amount of cash saved up, but I have a fairly inconsistant cash flow, and every penny I spend on camera's is one less that I can spend on fabric, notionts and costume supplies (I'm also a costume design student, so these cosiderations are fairly important).
I guess the point is, I want a nice camera and I'll pay a fair price for it (up to...500? I guess?) but the cheaper I can get it, the happier I'll be. Thus, Ebay and Amazon Trolling is currently a major pasttime.
I did like my brother's camera. (He let me play with it for a while) and it seemed vary nice. I was concerned about the lifespan of the camera (they start out excellent, but the quality degrades over time) I'm seriously considering it though, It sounds like a nice one.

I've been told to hit up best buy and experiment. Its a good idea, I just hate going to tech stores, so I've been loathe to do it. (something about twelve year old clerks, hungry for a commission...)

Thanks for the advice. What camera's do you guys use?
I eat toasters 0_o

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT/ED/PA d—s-: a- - C+++ L E W+++N o+ K++w+ O+ M - - V PS+ PE+ Y PGP t+++ 5+ X++ R  tv+ b+++ DI+ D G++ e++ h- !r  x-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 02:26:17 pm »
Canon bridges are great. Nikon ones are GODLY.
NEVER.EVER. GET A FUJIFILM.
DSLR's are the best but bridges are great for those who cant afford an SLR.

Just got a Nikon L110 for Christmas and I loooooooooooove it!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 02:56:31 pm »
I would say if money is not an issue go with a DSLR. You can get an entry level DSLR with a bag and another lens for 500-600. I have a Nikon D3000 and I love it. I would love to get another lens for it and maybe a flash but those aren't priorities right now. The 3000 is a basic entry level DSLR and it works really well for what I need it for.

These were all taken with my D3000 and only very minor editing such as saturation and contrast

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 06:47:41 pm »
What camera's do you guys use?

I have a GE A1251.  It's a nice little thing that cost me $90, plus $20-something for a year-long warranty.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh