Author Topic: I would love to become a staff member.  (Read 10394 times)

Offline Kayani_Neko

• Catgirl
I would love to become a staff member.
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:09:23 pm »
I would very much love to become a staff member, but I don't exactly know how to go about this... I sent an email to someone about a week before Con for next year and have only gotten one reply.

I'm a very hard worker and love KumoriCon very much. I want to work with KumoriCon so I can help make it a better Con for everyone!

I just... Don't know how to go about it properly. ^^;

Please help! ><;

~Kay

Offline Namazzi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantART
Re: I would love to become a staff member.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 01:16:03 pm »
Are you wanting to be a yojimbo? There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum for sign ups for next year.  :)
If your looking for a specific position, you'll need to e-mail the director of the department. And you can find their e-mails here: http://www.kumoricon.org/?page_id=20
Or you can contact volunteers@kumoricon.org if your looking to volunteer without a specific position.

Hope that helps some.  :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:19:12 pm by Namazzi »

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 01:16:44 pm »
Heya.  So, what sort of things do you like to do?  We have lots of different departments and types of positions here.  I run relations, which includes things like dealer's hall staff and charity auction staff.

Operations runs yojimbo and registration and volunteer management.

Programming runs panel support, which is making sure each panel has what ever it needs and counting panel attendees so we know what was popular.  

Vice Chair runs maids and con suite.

That's a very vague overview :)  Keep in mind our next meeting is election, so, until then none of us directors can commit to new staff.  I hope to get re-elected, but I can't say for sure who will run Relations for next year.  The best thing to do is to come to one of our early general meetings.  Then you can talk to the 2010 directors directly.  
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 01:20:10 pm »
@ rathany:

Can you be involved in more than one section?

For instance I'd love to help yojimbo and be a part of the reg staff/peacebonding and maid squad informational groups...

but I'm very interested in helping get cool acts and guests of honor to the convention (brushing up on my japanese
to see if we can get a japanese voice actor or creator to come, if even just for autographs!) And helping in that area.
Does it make it too confusing for people to assist in more than one area of the convention?

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 01:33:49 pm »
@ rathany:

Can you be involved in more than one section?

For instance I'd love to help yojimbo and be a part of the reg staff/peacebonding and maid squad informational groups...

but I'm very interested in helping get cool acts and guests of honor to the convention (brushing up on my japanese
to see if we can get a japanese voice actor or creator to come, if even just for autographs!) And helping in that area.
Does it make it too confusing for people to assist in more than one area of the convention?

~Allykat

It depends on the positions.  Some will conflict, some wont. 

Anything directly involving the GoHs is not usually a positon for first-time staffers.  I need to personally trust a person to allow them direct access.  Or, have a recc for them from someone like certain Sak higher-ups.  Also, it needs to be someone who is not going to get all fangirl or fanboy on them.  Anyone new who wants to start getting involved in that would need to start working with me early in the year.  (Assuming I get re-elected) There is also a minimum age of 21 for this position. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 01:43:31 pm »
Oh, I totally understand. (I will be 22 btw) Plus I was more interested in the actually
logistics of getting them here and making sure they are accomodated for, less of the
following them around everywhere they go... I'd probably end up confusing/scarying
the GoH with my way-too-chipper personality. I'm more interested in the writing of
invitations, coming up with options and they assemblying logistical contingencies for
before, during, and after guest arrival and meets. This is where I feel I shine, making things
happen and being a good pitchwoman ^_^ I like knowing that I can get people to do
things or get involved in things by being honest and happy!

Are there any paper-pusher type positions in the staff like that? That are in charge of
getting into contact or finding out how to contact potential guests? Or is that all done
by the board? What about writing those invitations and working with English second language
guests. Have we ever had any such type of guests?

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 01:59:24 pm »
Oh, I totally understand. (I will be 22 btw) Plus I was more interested in the actually
logistics of getting them here and making sure they are accomodated for, less of the
following them around everywhere they go... I'd probably end up confusing/scarying
the GoH with my way-too-chipper personality. I'm more interested in the writing of
invitations, coming up with options and they assemblying logistical contingencies for
before, during, and after guest arrival and meets. This is where I feel I shine, making things
happen and being a good pitchwoman ^_^ I like knowing that I can get people to do
things or get involved in things by being honest and happy!

Are there any paper-pusher type positions in the staff like that? That are in charge of
getting into contact or finding out how to contact potential guests? Or is that all done
by the board? What about writing those invitations and working with English second language
guests. Have we ever had any such type of guests?

~Allykat

I am actually doing 4th year Japanese translation and interpritation courses this year :)  But, I was also supposed to do a Japanese version of the website this year and ... it kinda never happened.  So, yeah, I could use help with that and organizing guest activities.  I also want to do a pre-con newsletter to GoHs next year so they know what is going on at Kcon and in Portland that they might want to check out.  So, yeah, sounds awesome :)   
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Kayani_Neko

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 02:13:31 pm »
I really enjoy organizing and running things such as events, discussions, debates and other such things.

I started and successfully ran the Anime Club at my school this past year, and I also was on the Event Coordination staff for the GSA.

I think my skills lie in things of this nature, but if you need people to work in other areas, I'm perfectly willing. <3

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 02:39:19 pm »
I really enjoy organizing and running things such as events, discussions, debates and other such things.

I started and successfully ran the Anime Club at my school this past year, and I also was on the Event Coordination staff for the GSA.

I think my skills lie in things of this nature, but if you need people to work in other areas, I'm perfectly willing. <3

Hrmm... sounds like a good potential Prog staffer to me :)  But yeah, drop by one of our early General Meetings next year. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Kayani_Neko

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 02:42:01 pm »

Hrmm... sounds like a good potential Prog staffer to me :)  But yeah, drop by one of our early General Meetings next year. 
That sounds awesome. xD

Will do! Has the first one been scheduled yet?

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 02:43:57 pm »

That sounds awesome. xD

Not yet.  The next meeting will be elections, so we need to make sure all noms can be there.  It will be Oct 10th, 11th or 17th.  (18th is a Sak General Meeting, and we don't want to conflict with that.)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Kayani_Neko

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 02:48:09 pm »

That sounds awesome. xD

Not yet.  The next meeting will be elections, so we need to make sure all noms can be there.  It will be Oct 10th, 11th or 17th.  (18th is a Sak General Meeting, and we don't want to conflict with that.)
Oh, okay. Where do I check to find all the info on these events?

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 02:57:58 pm »
Dude, Edward Scissorhands staffer FTW! We'll just be sure to give you a job that doesn't require much handshaking.  ;D  ...Seriously though, really glad to hear you're interested. Programming is great, but let me name off some other possible positions in case you're interested.

* If you like roaming the exhibitor's hall and making sure vendors and artists are happy, Exhibitor Hall Staff might be good. They're under Relations.

* If you would like to help run the Karaoke room, that's under Programming.

* Console Gaming is also under Programming. Creation Station is too, but it's somewhat independent.

* Yojimbo does crowd control and handles emergencies, among other things. They're under Operations.

* Street Team helps advertise Kumori Con in the "off-season" via fliers and other propaganda. They're under Publicity.

There are many other jobs under each department, of course, but those are a few I've seen up close. Consider trying different stuff out. I hadn't thought of doing Exhibitor Hall before, but I tried it this year and it was pretty enjoyable.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 02:58:52 pm »

That sounds awesome. xD

Oh, okay. Where do I check to find all the info on these events?

We have a calender on the front page of the website that gets updated with all meeting times, locations and also other stuff like our midyears events.  We also do dances, support Keep Portland Wierd, run programming for Eugene Asian Festival, run video gaming for Gamestorm and stuff like that.  It all goes on the calender :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Kayani_Neko

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 03:10:47 pm »
Rathany: Thank you so much! <3

Raiden: xD
Thanks. x3

I think I might be mostly interested in Exhibitor Hall Staff or Street Team. :3

But yeah... Hand shaking... xD
That made me laugh. <3

Offline tsukiyume1209

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 06:35:32 pm »
Dude, Edward Scissorhands staffer FTW! We'll just be sure to give you a job that doesn't require much handshaking.  ;D  ...Seriously though, really glad to hear you're interested. Programming is great, but let me name off some other possible positions in case you're interested.

* If you like roaming the exhibitor's hall and making sure vendors and artists are happy, Exhibitor Hall Staff might be good. They're under Relations.

* Console Gaming is also under Programming. Creation Station is too, but it's somewhat independent.

* Yojimbo does crowd control and handles emergencies, among other things. They're under Operations.

* Street Team helps advertise Kumori Con in the "off-season" via fliers and other propaganda. They're under Publicity.

There are many other jobs under each department, of course, but those are a few I've seen up close. Consider trying different stuff out. I hadn't thought of doing Exhibitor Hall before, but I tried it this year and it was pretty enjoyable.

Street Team sounds interesting, since I've been advertising Kumoricon a lot anyways. How do I join that?

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 06:43:13 pm »

Street Team sounds interesting, since I've been advertising Kumoricon a lot anyways. How do I join that?

Street Team is under Publicity.  You'll need to talk to Jeff's replacement for next year ;)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 08:36:07 pm »
For a more complete list of areas, take a look at the official org chart:

Documents Page

See the file Organizational Charts. This is updated by the new directors around November or December each year, but it will probably remain somewhat similar year to year.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Kayani_Neko

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 10:00:09 pm »
Would it be possible for me to work as both Steet Team and Exhibitor Hall Staff?

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 10:02:34 pm »
Would it be possible for me to work as both Steet Team and Exhibitor Hall Staff?

Definitly.  Street Team is pretty much all pre-con work and EX Staff is pretty much all at-con work. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Kayani_Neko

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 10:07:56 pm »

Definitly.  Street Team is pretty much all pre-con work and EX Staff is pretty much all at-con work. 
Okay! Cause that sounds like something I'd love to do. <3

Offline CassieR

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 10:34:47 pm »
Great, we can always use more dedicated street team members!  And Rathany is right, Street Team and Exhibit Hall staff would be easy to share positions.

Offline Kayani_Neko

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 10:40:21 pm »
Okay, great! I'd loved to become as involved with this as I can. <3