Author Topic: Apples to Apples: Con Edition 2009 - feedback?  (Read 4458 times)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Apples to Apples: Con Edition 2009 - feedback?
« on: September 09, 2009, 03:49:44 pm »
Well, over 100 of you came to my Apples to Apples panel, and I only came home with 4 packs of cards, even though I brought 48 to the con. :) I hope you enjoyed the game as much as possible.

Overall it was a success, but I wanted to apologize for the crowding. I know some of you didn't get much time to play the game.  This was entirely due to limited space and time. Next year I will be requesting a bigger room, bringing in one or two more friends to help out, and extending the panel to 2 or 3 hours long. I'm also toying with the idea of an Apples to Apples tournament.

I'd like your feedback!  Not just about the panel, but also about cards in the game itself. This year's was the introductory beta edition, you see, so there will be more improvements and additions to come.  I'm also going to look into having a panel at Sakura Con 2010 if I can.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Re: Apples to Apples: Con Edition 2009 - feedback?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 04:48:32 pm »
I didn't know about it, but now I wish I could have gone.  I love playing Apples to Apples.  I play it with my friends, and we all have really morbid humors so it's great.  I'm sure there are plenty of otaku that enjoy weird and twisted humor, too.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Winfred

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 09:07:08 pm »
Apples to Apples Con Edition = boss. My friends and I opted out of going into the panel room, but instead bought a few packs of the cards and played upstairs. It was CRAZY FUN WOW. It fit well with our general nerdiness and immaturity level. I deeply regret not buying any for myself, let me tell you. So uh, basically my feedback is THAT WAS AWESOME and THANK YOU FOR DOING IT. I'm super jazzed for next year, if these tales of improvements and additions are true. Even if they weren't, I'd still be jazzed.

I totally won the game, by the way. heeeee.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 01:53:28 am »
Next year tell me to come supervise the halls and maybe I'll grab another yoji and we can make the space/line for playing go smoother?

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 02:05:16 pm »
Sorry for the wait here. :) Back with some replies.

I didn't know about it, but now I wish I could have gone.  I love playing Apples to Apples.  I play it with my friends, and we all have really morbid humors so it's great.  I'm sure there are plenty of otaku that enjoy weird and twisted humor, too.

Sorry you missed us! I talked to you briefly (about your "robot clothes") while you were cosplaying Chii, and if I'd known you would be interested I would have told you about it. But you know how it is; I don't exactly want to be a wandering salesman. :)  Would you like me to let you know if I come up with another batch? I'll be attending meetings periodically, too, and I'm thinking of starting a game with my personal copy to pass the time while people arrive. If you attend a meeting, please come play a game.  Just look for Steve.

Apples to Apples Con Edition = boss. My friends and I opted out of going into the panel room, but instead bought a few packs of the cards and played upstairs. It was CRAZY FUN WOW. It fit well with our general nerdiness and immaturity level. I deeply regret not buying any for myself, let me tell you. So uh, basically my feedback is THAT WAS AWESOME and THANK YOU FOR DOING IT. I'm super jazzed for next year, if these tales of improvements and additions are true. Even if they weren't, I'd still be jazzed.

I totally won the game, by the way. heeeee.

Thanks so much and you're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed the game on your own; I only had time to sell a couple of sets in the hallway.  Sorry it was so cramped. :( I'm sure it's obvious that this was a con-wide problem. But next year I'll address it more thoroughly. And if I have enough sets perhaps I'll even manage to find a way to sell it in the exhibitor's hall. :)

Next year tell me to come supervise the halls and maybe I'll grab another yoji and we can make the space/line for playing go smoother?

Yes, thanks. Next year I will drop by and specifically ask for one Yojimbo well before the panel. I asked for one staffer on my panel form, but I guess I need to be more proactive about it.  I'll also try to have a second panelist to act as an assistant. Emily filled in for that at the last minute, but it wasn't supposed to be her responsibility.

P.S. - As a side note... to those of you who attended, I wanted to say that anime conventions are just about the only place where a guy in a maid costume could lead a card game panel without one person commenting on it. ;) I was impressed how unfazed you were. I hadn't planned on being in crossplay for the panel, but I didn't have time to get out of it. In case anyone's left who couldn't figure it out from my avatar and signature, I'm the same guy who ran the panel in 2008 in a Link costume.

Anyway, see you in 2010... or earlier! Please PM me if you'd like to request a set before next year; if I know the demand I'll budget more time for it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:08:37 pm by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 03:03:16 pm »
Sorry you missed us! I talked to you briefly (about your "robot clothes") while you were cosplaying Chii, and if I'd known you would be interested I would have told you about it. But you know how it is; I don't exactly want to be a wandering salesman. :)  Would you like me to let you know if I come up with another batch? I'll be attending meetings periodically, too, and I'm thinking of starting a game with my personal copy to pass the time while people arrive. If you attend a meeting, please come play a game.  Just look for Steve.

Yeah, I'll certainly have to play a game.  I might even look into whether or not the Clark College Anime Club would be interested in purchasing a few packs or something.  Of course, seeing as how their budget has really been cut, it'd probably end up being me that buys 'em.  Btw, how much do you charge for a pack and what is included?

And I'll try to remember your name.  All I can ever recall about you is that you cosplay as Link.  ;D

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 03:34:51 pm »
I have missed this twice now... I want to play it, man! D8
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 03:54:42 pm »
1 thing I need to learn:
TIME MANAGEMENT

I missed it again.
Crud nuts
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 01:22:31 am »
Yeah, I'll certainly have to play a game.  I might even look into whether or not the Clark College Anime Club would be interested in purchasing a few packs or something.  Of course, seeing as how their budget has really been cut, it'd probably end up being me that buys 'em.  Btw, how much do you charge for a pack and what is included?

And I'll try to remember your name.  All I can ever recall about you is that you cosplay as Link.  ;D

For the introductory beta, I charged $5 for each pack red cards (three different sets, each containing about 108 cards), and $3 a pack for green cards (cheaper since it's smaller at 60 cards).  You need red and green cards to play. You can play with a minimum of one red deck and one green deck, but the game is better if you use multiple red decks (or mix it with the official game).

The prices may be different next time, but if so, it'll be because you're be getting something nicer.  I'm going to look into trying to match the card backing of the official Apples to Apples game.

Hey, don't you know Leashy?  If you can't identify me, ask her. :)

Hey, I remember talking to you about this, too! :-\ I think I owe you a game sometime.

1 thing I need to learn:
TIME MANAGEMENT

I missed it again.
Crud nuts

Same goes for you.  If you come to a general meeting, hunt me down and ask for a game.

It'll be easier to play before the meeting, because afterward things get chaotic with everybody splitting off into departments.  That doesn't mean a game would be impossible, but I'd have to take care of business first.

Apollo Justice

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 08:23:59 am »
More Cowbell!
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 11:37:51 am »
More Cowbell!

Do you want there to be two Cowbell cards just so I can say that there is more?... :)

Apollo Justice

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 06:02:51 pm »

For the introductory beta, I charged $5 for each pack red cards (three different sets, each containing about 108 cards), and $3 a pack for green cards (cheaper since it's smaller at 60 cards).  You need red and green cards to play. You can play with a minimum of one red deck and one green deck, but the game is better if you use multiple red decks (or mix it with the official game).

The prices may be different next time, but if so, it'll be because you're be getting something nicer.  I'm going to look into trying to match the card backing of the official Apples to Apples game.

Hey, don't you know Leashy?  If you can't identify me, ask her. :)

Hey, I remember talking to you about this, too! :-\ I think I owe you a game sometime.

1 thing I need to learn:
TIME MANAGEMENT

I missed it again.
Crud nuts

Same goes for you.  If you come to a general meeting, hunt me down and ask for a game.

It'll be easier to play before the meeting, because afterward things get chaotic with everybody splitting off into departments.  That doesn't mean a game would be impossible, but I'd have to take care of business first.

I know what chu look like (I'm so a creeper) so I plan on it. I just never knew you ran it... now I do, and I can be weird and find 'ja
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...