Author Topic: Favorite manga (2005)  (Read 7914 times)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« on: May 09, 2005, 12:25:57 am »
Since there are a lot of new people on the forums, it has been about a year since the thread started, and I didn't want to play the role of necromancer with my old thread, I decided to start another "Favorite Manga" thread.

So what is/are your favorite manga?  Have any suggestions for people looking for a new series to check out?  Looking for a new series to check out?  Things like that.
I'll get the ball rolling.

My favorite manga are Love Hina, Mahou Sensei Negima (username), DNAngel, and a couple others.  Has anybody ever read or heard of the manga called "R squared" or "rise R to the second power"? (same book)  I like it, it's pretty good.  I'm hoping the second book will be translated by the time I return home.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 09:31:02 am »
I'm hooked on Tsubasa and  xXxholic,  Bleach is really good, Ragnarok and Rebirth are trickling in :x (want more) Plus I get Shonen jump so I read all of those.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline soupisgreen

• Sailor Scout
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 11:52:46 am »
I like a lot of different mangas, but my favorite is probably Alice 19th. Then it would be Paradis Kiss, Marmalade Boy, Mars, Girl Got Game, Snow Drop, INVU, and D.N.Angel. There's a lot more that I like but I wouldn't call them favorites.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 11:53:24 am »
I'm really looking forward to Yostubato&! in July/June, (Heh, I forgot!).
I really enjoy Naruto, and GALS! right now. I just finished Azumanga Daioh.
Reccomended: Aria(Araia?). Good old fashioned Manga for All ages about a girl who lives on Mars, and it's all about Gondelas. :3 I own two books of it, and its AMAZING.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 05:10:06 pm »
I have alot of favorite manga.

My favorite manga-ka's are Akamatsu Ken and Fujisawa Tohru. I enjoy all of their works (Can't wait to read Fujisawa's new Rose Hip Zero!).

Current favorites include Bleach, Naruto, Black Cat, Full Metal Alchemist, One Piece, and Tenjho Tenge. I'm also really enjoying Ichigo 100% and Death Note.

Offline rosaryblue

• Sailor Scout
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 07:02:58 pm »
The only manga titles I have are Battle Angel Alita Last Order and the manga reprint of the first Battle Angel Alita story arcs.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 11:44:31 pm »
Quote from: "Dustin"
My favorite manga-ka's are Akamatsu Ken...

Thank you gawd I am not alone.  :mrgreen:

@Neko_chan
I've seen Aria around some of the bookstores here.  It looks pretty good and I've been thinking about taking a look at it.

Speaking of which, I have another suggestion for a manga especially if you're just starting to learn Japanese.  It's a Japanese manga called "Minto na bokura" ("we are mint").  It's a shoujo manga about twins (a boy and girl twins).  The girl goes off to another school because she falls in love with a boy.  The brother has a bit of a sister complex and tries to transfer to the school to protect her.  The problem is there is only one opening in the dormitory; the girl's dormitory.  I'll leave the description there for those of you who are curious.  (If anyone is curious that is).
The sentence structure is pretty simple and there's furigana so I consider it a good Japanese manga to practice with.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 12:29:56 am »
Quote from: "Negima"

@Neko_chan
I've seen Aria around some of the bookstores here.  It looks pretty good and I've been thinking about taking a look at it.

you could add me in.  I liked love hina and negima.

I believe I looked into that manga.  as I recall, its about a girl who wants to be a undine(name for boat something...)  on mars.  I didn't get much into it(not to say its bad, it just didn't really capture my interest at the time), but the artwork was so pretty!!! ^_^  I actually considered buying it just for the artwork![/quote]
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 04:19:17 am »
Quote from: "Negima"
My favorite manga-ka's are Akamatsu Ken...

@Neko_chan

Speaking of which, I have another suggestion for a manga especially if you're just starting to learn Japanese.  It's a Japanese manga called "Minto na bokura" ("we are mint").  It's a shoujo manga about twins (a boy and girl twins).  The girl goes off to another school because she falls in love with a boy.  The brother has a bit of a sister complex and tries to transfer to the school to protect her.  The problem is there is only one opening in the dormitory; the girl's dormitory.  I'll leave the description there for those of you who are curious.  (If anyone is curious that is).
The sentence structure is pretty simple and there's furigana so I consider it a good Japanese manga to practice with.

I think I heard about that one. If I remember correctly, the boy then poses as a girl, correct?

I havn't read it, but I have heard of it. Sounds interesting to me. :D

Offline Menchi

• Cabbit
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~kaleide
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 07:38:43 am »
I'm completely in love with Death Note right now. xD;

Other favorites are Hana Kimi (Hanazakari no Kimitachi E), Full Moon wo Sagashite, and Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. ^^

Offline khayman

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.teamarc.org
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 09:45:39 am »
Rurouni Kenshin. I love anything RK lol.

I've also got this nasty habit where I keep watching/reading the anime/manga I have instead of new manga, so it takes me forever to try something new. I'm trying to kick this habit though lol. I haven't even seen Naruto or FMA, even though they're at my disposal.
=SynthesiS= KHaYMaN
~Jeff

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 12:00:23 pm »
Yep. That's Aria. :3

My Habits: I seem to buy 'Mens' Manga. I  own a lot of Perverted/fan service manga, and I'm surprised by it half the time. o--o; Sometimes I suspect it. Anything to do with Boys girls switching bodys, All boys/girls schools, Robots with human brains/hearts, or just plain ol' Plastic wrapped manga. (Pla-manga? ;3 Like Pla-models?) But I don't really care. >__> As long as my mother dosn't find them. Or the school dosn't deem them 'obscene liturature.' Or Aislyn reads them at Dinner.(Ahem. Love Hina.) Then I'm fine with it. It's just art afterall. o-o; It's not as bad as a bunch of the stuff you'll find on the internet.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 08:50:32 pm »
I think I heard about that one. If I remember correctly, the boy then poses as a girl, correct?

I havn't read it, but I have heard of it. Sounds interesting to me. :D

It's good, it's worth checking out at least.

@Neko_Chan
Isn't there a manga that has come out recently (okay, August) where a boy and girl do switch bodies?  I can't remember the title but I think it's something like "Your and my secret" (maybe, not sure).

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 09:29:55 pm »
gender mix up(i.e. boy comes girl) stories are very amusing imo.  example is in kill me kill which has the male character going to an all girls high school in place of his cousin and I thought it was amusing to see how he was rather very apathic about doing it(not that he was completely willing).

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 10:14:18 pm »
I really like 'Prince of Tennis' and 'Hikaru no Go' and I have recently gotten into 'Whistle'.  
I really enjoy sports manga for some reason.

The only other manga I read is 'Battle Royale'.  
That one just finished up in Japan and I think the final volume will reach our shores this winter.  
It is quite good and easily the most graphic manga I have ever read in terms of violence.

But most of all I would recommend reading the novel of Battle Royale.  
Best book I have read in a very very very long time.  Simply a masterpiece.  Highest recommendation.

Other good Japanese translated novels are 'RING' and the sequel 'SPIRAL'.  
The third book in the trilogy, 'LOOP' comes out this month and I can't wait to read it. :D
The trick is not minding.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 11:51:43 am »
Yeah. I wana buy that... :3

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 09:41:34 pm »
I love D.N.Angel, and have been really enjoying Naruto and Bleach as well. There are a few other titles I've been collecting such as: DearS and Instant Teen... I can't say they offer as much as the other titles, but they're great for a good laugh and still worth buying.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 06:17:54 pm »
I was gonna buy DearS, but my Mom took one look in it, but she was like 'What the hell is this?' And I had to put it back. D:

My friend Aislyn was Instant Teen... And I've seen it around school with some of the younger Manga fans. I read a chapter or two, and it was a little too... I dunno. For me. xD

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 06:19:35 pm »
DearS is a pretty interesting manga.  I got the first 2 and I'm pretty interested in its storyline.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 06:21:43 pm »
-sneaks into Kurimono's house and reads DearS- D: -throws flashlight at you- Go back to sleep, boy.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 07:24:00 pm »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
-sneaks into Kurimono's house and reads DearS- D: -throws flashlight at you- Go back to sleep, boy.

umm...its 2 am and since its weekend, I'm not going to bed for few more hours......o_o

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2005, 07:36:49 pm »
Well. Um. o-o; -hands you the Collected work of Poe- Now you'll go to bed. :3

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 12:00:10 am »
poe....?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 01:12:49 am »
Quote from: "Kurimono"
poe....?

I'm guessing Edgar Allen or the ghosts that appear in the Legend of Zelda.

What's Instant Teen about?  I don't think I've heard about it before.
DearS I first saw in an ad (in a manga) but don't know what it's about.  Neko_chan, if you mom didn't like what I'm guessing is the first or second cover, she might not like cover #5 (I think that's it).

Offline Kankuro Of Sand

• Cabbit
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2005, 12:49:10 pm »
i think my favorite manga would have to be Cresent moon

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2005, 07:15:59 pm »
Yep. E.A.P.

I love love love love love Cresent moon. Maybe I'll just take a picture of my Manga collection...

Offline Kankuro Of Sand

• Cabbit
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2005, 02:42:13 pm »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
Yep. E.A.P.

I love love love love love Cresent moon. Maybe I'll just take a picture of my Manga collection...
yup yup their good manga

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2005, 10:10:22 pm »
Sounds like I have a lot of catching up to do when I return home.  I need to get all the copies of DNAngel that I missed, I've been meaning to read Crescent Moon, DearS I want to take a look at at least... (list goes on)

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2005, 06:33:41 pm »
First off, let me say how annoying it is if you see children, ages 9/10 sitting in Borders, with no parents, just plain ol' reading the Manga. With no intention of buying it. Sure, I'll read a chapter or two in the store to decide wither to buy it or not. But I get pissed off when children (haha, I'm surely not a child.) sit there, reading the Manga, I would like to buy, when they can go and read it, without my annoyance at the public Library. And they where sitting in front of the 'H' thru 'K' Section too. D:

There's a deal out now that if you buy a Viz Manga, you get a sampler book. So I went today to Borders, (Hahaha, I had about 60 bucks! >D) and I bought the first of a few series... Hana-Kimi, Eerie Querie, Full metal Alchemist, And Gun Slinger Girl. So I go up there, (Without my mom because she always looks through my books for material she doesn’t like.) And the lady gives me my Bag.
And I look inside and I'm like "Uh. There is a thing going on that if I buy a book from a certain publisher, you guys are supposed to give me a free book with a bunch of samples of other books in it."
Stupid Blonde chick who obviously doesn’t know what she's doing: "Ummm. Well. If we are giving away books, it's probably over there..." -points to the music section-.
Me: "Mmnhm. Well. I've gotten some of them before, and it says they aren't for sale."
Girl: "Then why would we have them?"
Me: "-deep sigh- Just forget it."

>__> I've gotta stop shopping at Borders... I gotta go to my Local Comic shop, they are so much nicer, and they don't look at you weird when you have a book with the cover of two lanky guys kissing. >///___///<

Okay. I'm done. :3

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2005, 02:42:38 am »
Kei-Kei's All-Time favorites in Manga, and Current favorites are:

Inu-Yasha: A Feudal Fairy Tale (Have all 12 original VIZ releases)*
Sailor Moon*
Ranma 1/2
Chobits*
Resevoir Chronicle TSUBASA*
WISH
Mekakushi no Kuni*
Full Moon wo Sagashite*
Ichigo Channel
Dragon Ball*
You're So Cool
Neon Genesis Evangelion

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2005, 07:53:36 am »
Quote from: "Kei-Kei"
Kei-Kei's All-Time favorites in Manga, and Current favorites are:Full Moon wo Sagashite*

i saw the first 6 episodes at kumoricon and really liked it but then some told me theplot out line for the end (plot ninjas where were you?)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
Favorite manga (2005)
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2005, 04:30:05 pm »
Quote from: "superjaz3p"
Quote from: "Kei-Kei"
Kei-Kei's All-Time favorites in Manga, and Current favorites are:Full Moon wo Sagashite*

i saw the first 6 episodes at kumoricon and really liked it but then some told me theplot out line for the end (plot ninjas where were you?)

I was told not to watch the Anime, by some Full Moon fanss at Sakuracon 2004. So, I haven't. It never looked very good to me.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]