Author Topic: Girl Genius Dating Game- Advice  (Read 3005 times)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Girl Genius Dating Game- Advice
« on: July 31, 2009, 08:29:43 am »
OK, I'm in charge of a panel this year that is really more of a piece of performance art than an actual normal dating game. All the contestants have been selected and about half the stuff will be scripted while the other half is improvised to keep us fresh. Basically I signed it up as a panel because I had too much material for a cosplay skit,

However I would like to hear from those of you who have gone to or helped with dating game panels in the past. Particularly the ones that Slightly Anime has put together for us at Kumoricon.

I've seen clips and sat in on one for a few minutes but never stayed that long. How much does the host really do once all the "bachelors" and the "bachelorette" are on stage and the questions have begun?

What do you as an attendee like to see in the dating games?

What do you as a participant think helps a dating game panel work better?

How can I help a panel about characters from a mad science comic book fit in better at an anime convention?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Hisaiume

• Cabbit
Re: Girl Genius Dating Game- Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 05:11:58 am »
Okay this may be a little late in the game to help but I've gone to anime dating games at both Kumori and Sakura con and even been selected as a contestant on the answering questions side and my sister has been the one picking the date before...
The host I think sometimes makes the game because they get to throw in their comments as they see fit, keep the program interesting if the contestants are boring or keep some more naughty ones in check. They have the power of the mic and all their comments being heard.
I like to have a lot of laughs from watching the games some from getting an inside joke, to a slightly naughty innuendo up to being almost embarrassed for those up there! Some of the most fun is the banters that happen with the host and contestants.
I think a dating game panel works best when the one choosing knows the questions but the ones answering may not know. Also the bigger the variety of personas for the person to choose from makes it a lot more fun. I hate games where it's a bunch of people trying to make the most dirty joke and that's it. Also the best choosers are the ones that add in a reply after the contestant answers the question. If the questions are answered by all contestants switching where you start from each time works well.
I have read and loove Girl Genius and think that keeping some questions in the world of GG like "what kind of destructive weapon would you make to win my heart?" should still be in the plans of this game. Maybe one way to bring anime in is making one contestant completely out of their world. Throw in some anime character who would wonder why in the hell this person would want a weapon as a token of love. You could also have some questions be anime related. I hope some of this was helpful to you.
My friends and I are cosplaying: Lucrezia, Oggie, Dimo, and a thirteen year old Agatha. If you would like our assistance in your game we would be more than happy to get involved! Can't wait to see it!
Saturday: Blush 100%
Sunday: Toad 95%
Monday: Moogle 60%

Offline Hisaiume

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 11:08:58 am »
Oh and we have Jenka too!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:38:22 pm »
My friends and I are cosplaying: Lucrezia, Oggie, Dimo, and a thirteen year old Agatha. If you would like our assistance in your game we would be more than happy to get involved! Can't wait to see it!

And Jenka.....

HOW DO WE NOT KNOW YOU!?!?

This panel is at 8pm Saturday in Panel Room 2. Please come even if you guys aren't in those costumes that night. Please come, your group is the audience this show was meant for.

I was looking for the advice of the logitics of the game. Some of our cosplayers aren't good enough at improv to be trusted with going in completely blind but I wanted to put in as much improv as possible. Our current plan involves two rounds with the exact kind of questions you mentioned. The other logistics I'm trying to deal with is how to do this sort of show without a real stage or room dividers. I have a feeling that the Programming staff won't be toting those down to our room across the street.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 09:29:41 pm »
If the dividers are not in use (and we can find people to help carry them across) we can use the dividers we have.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Hisaiume

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 04:47:12 pm »

And Jenka.....

HOW DO WE NOT KNOW YOU!?!?

This panel is at 8pm Saturday in Panel Room 2. Please come even if you guys aren't in those costumes that night. Please come, your group is the audience this show was meant for.

I was looking for the advice of the logitics of the game. Some of our cosplayers aren't good enough at improv to be trusted with going in completely blind but I wanted to put in as much improv as possible. Our current plan involves two rounds with the exact kind of questions you mentioned. The other logistics I'm trying to deal with is how to do this sort of show without a real stage or room dividers. I have a feeling that the Programming staff won't be toting those down to our room across the street.

Actually this is our first year doing Girl Genius cosplay even though we've wanted to dress up as those characters for some time now. My sister is working on her shiny Jenka boobs right now. She's blinding herself with them it's kinda funny to watch her work on the costume.
We do plan on doing the GG costumes on Saturday since we heard people are going to try to do group photos after the dating game. We won't miss this for the world!
As for putting in improv if your people can stay in character even with the host improv commenting and not break then that's where i think most the improvisation can fit in. As long as their physical reactions match their characters they don't have to necessarily banter back to the host.
Anyways I'm babbling now. My friends and I are all really looking forward to this!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 05:32:05 pm »
If the dividers are not in use (and we can find people to help carry them across) we can use the dividers we have.

Thank you very much. I was going to email you tonight about materials available. We'll be schlepping our own sound equipment already so I can definitely get those room dividers from you. Who else needs them other than the Anime Dating Game?

Those will save us a lot of room up front since we have to set aside a portion of the front of the room for our "back stage".
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!