Author Topic: Stand Up Comedy at Kumoricon  (Read 20486 times)

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
Stand Up Comedy at Kumoricon
« on: July 12, 2009, 02:26:40 pm »
For some time now, I have been contemplating the idea of possibly having a stand up comedy event at Kumoricon. I for one, am a comedian, and I'd LOVE to be able to perform at Kumoricon (and I have been coming up with a fair amount of material lately). And I'm sure, there are other people who would also love to be able to perform stand up. Because from what I have heard, the only other option is the cosplay contest, which probably isn't the best option for performing stand up (because you have to be in character, if I'm not mistaken).

Although this wont happen at Kumoricon this year (only slots open are at 2am), we will more than likely have this at Kumoricon Lite, and Kumoricon next year, and the year after that, and the year after that...

But we want to hear who might be interested in attending this event, or participating in it. And to be honest, stand up comedians in Portland don't really have a whole lot of opportunities to perform, you typically have to hunt down an open mic night or something like that. So an event like this could be a really great opportunity for comedians such as myself to get some experience, and for the rest of us to have a good laugh.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:11:14 pm by Teasel »
"Yes, that's a gun in my pants. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see you."

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
Re: Stand Up Comedy at Kumoricon(?)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:32:15 pm »
It would be cool if I could get some yes or noes on this. (Just assume that it isn't going on during anything big.)

Just for the record, you wouldn't have to be in cosplay if you wanted to perform.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:47:29 pm by Teasel »
"Yes, that's a gun in my pants. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see you."

Offline Mentally Hilarious

• Sailor Scout
    • GaiaOnline
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 08:24:46 pm »
Thats would be cool for me cuz I make my friends laugh ALL the time. (I make up jokes as I go and it seems to work out on some strangers as well)
BUT I would get stage fright. So maybe a no for me.

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:47:58 pm »
I actually had horrible stage fright for the longest time, and I still have stage fright to some degree. But after I found out that I could get up in front of a group of people and make them laugh, it became SO much easier to do it (unless I have a grade riding on it, then I'm scared s***less). But if you have material prepared, and have been practicing a LOT, then you should do pretty good.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:50:35 pm by Teasel »

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 09:06:13 pm »
Sounds like it could be fun.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 12:47:40 am »
Come on people!!! Broaden your horizons!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:48:21 am by Teasel »

Offline Hidamari

• Catgirl
    • Reddsause- fandubs, parodies, and then some!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 08:18:12 am »
I'd definatl do this. I've done stand up once or twice and would have loads of fun with this.
Sakuracon~

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 10:24:00 am »
I wouldn't be in it, but I would definitely watch it if I was available =]

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:37:03 am »
I wouldn't be in it, but I would definitely watch it if I was available =]
This.
Lol, I can't be funny on the fly. My funny is random and nonsensical.
I miss 2010.

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 12:53:14 am »
Interest in this is good, but even MORE interest in this would be GREAT!  ;)

Spread the word! My army of flying monkeys unfortunately can't type, so it's up to all of you! (And some help from me)

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 04:08:03 am »
Ah hell why not sound entertaining... plus it is 4 am and i have not slept for 17 hours.
Thank you Monster Energy drinks

China bound!!!

Offline Blackstar

• Chibi
    • DA Art
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 10:55:57 pm »
Well this is how I see it. This could be really really really funny or it could be really really really strange and awkward. It depends on who gets up on stage.

Not trying to be harsh: There are two group of people with the Con going community are A: really outgoing really funny with grate stage presents and quite affable or B: As outgoing as "A" but strange and very uncomforting and annoying

But go for it. Just try to weed out the group A from group B
Cospaly                    Planed cosplay
Near                         Beat (TWEWY)                                                     Pocky Box                 James (Team Rocket)
Blackstar                   Kiba
Soul
Toushiro Hitsugaya   
Jiraya

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 09:42:01 pm »
*Pointing at Blackstar's comment* THAT! DO THAT!
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 10:01:25 pm »
Well this is how I see it. This could be really really really funny or it could be really really really strange and awkward. It depends on who gets up on stage.

Not trying to be harsh: There are two group of people with the Con going community are A: really outgoing really funny with grate stage presents and quite affable or B: As outgoing as "A" but strange and very uncomforting and annoying

This is true, and we may have to do some weeding (if this even takes off). But we need more people who are interested in performing before we can do any weeding. Personally, as long as I have material written well in advance, I should do pretty good.

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 02:30:44 am »
*CLANG**CLANG**CLANG**CLANG**CLANG*

COME ON PEOPLE!!! WE NEED EVEN MORE INTEREST! Or my name isn't Ludwig Von Happypants!... And it's not.

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 11:54:59 am »
i'd soooo watch this!

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 03:33:00 pm »
i'd soooo watch this!
Yay! And tell your friends too! We need to get more people interested in this!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 03:33:39 pm by Teasel »

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 02:16:41 pm »
Before it becomes too late to do, who do I talk to in order to possibly make this an official event?

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 07:28:52 pm »

This is true, and we may have to do some weeding (if this even takes off). But we need more people who are interested in performing before we can do any weeding. Personally, as long as I have material written well in advance, I should do pretty good.
You could audition people, have them perform for you first.
I miss 2010.

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 07:45:43 pm »

You could audition people, have them perform for you first.
But first we need people. So far it's only me for sure.

Offline kayfig

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 08:46:07 am »
B: As outgoing as "A" but strange and very uncomforting and annoying

Not to meantion are generally the ones who make the dealer room smell like bad tacos.. XP

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 08:08:39 pm »
This is funny; I've been contemplating the same thing!

The way that I was thinking about doing it was like this:

There would be three different categories: Children level, Teen level, Adult level.  The content, irregardless of the category, would have to relate to anime, Japanese culture, conventions, or the Portland area.

People would submit the basic concept of their sketches to me and the remaining judges prior to the con (I was thinking early-mid August).  The top ten choices would get an e-mail stating that they've been selected, with three being possible alternatives, should someone not be able to participate.

Each individual would be granted a maximum of ten minutes of stage time.  Once everyone in their respected category has performed, one of the judges would do a special comedy sketch of their own to entertain the crowd while the ballots are being counted.

I've been thinking about having the judges count as one unit, the crowd as another unit, and the contestants themselves as a third unit.  First place from each unit is worth 4 points, second place is worth 2 points, and third place is worth 1 point.  The one with the most of these points wins!

Anyway, that's what I've been plotting thus far.  Hey Teasel!  Maybe we should make plans to have this happen for KCon '10!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 08:24:13 pm »
This is funny; I've been contemplating the same thing!

The way that I was thinking about doing it was like this:

There would be three different categories: Children level, Teen level, Adult level.  The content, irregardless of the category, would have to relate to anime, Japanese culture, conventions, or the Portland area.

People would submit the basic concept of their sketches to me and the remaining judges prior to the con (I was thinking early-mid August).  The top ten choices would get an e-mail stating that they've been selected, with three being possible alternatives, should someone not be able to participate.

Each individual would be granted a maximum of ten minutes of stage time.  Once everyone in their respected category has performed, one of the judges would do a special comedy sketch of their own to entertain the crowd while the ballots are being counted.

I've been thinking about having the judges count as one unit, the crowd as another unit, and the contestants themselves as a third unit.  First place from each unit is worth 4 points, second place is worth 2 points, and third place is worth 1 point.  The one with the most of these points wins!

Anyway, that's what I've been plotting thus far.  Hey Teasel!  Maybe we should make plans to have this happen for KCon '10!
Why not this year? That way we get more interest in it for next year.

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 09:01:20 pm »
Before we can really go with your idea and have a contest, we need to get more people interested in this. This year we just have people doing stand up, no catagories or anything. If we could just around five or six people who want to do stand up, people willing to go around the convention and get people to attend, a stage at Kumoricon, and a time slot this year, we might be able to get enough of a following so we can go with something along the lines of your idea next year.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 09:34:21 pm »
I see where you're going with this.  My recommendation is to submit a panel request form to Jackie.  Since this'll only be for fun and for promoting a possible contest for next year, I would love to be one of the comedians.  Something that we should consider doing though is discussing what all of the stand-ups will be talking about, so that way we won't have the same thing mentioned every time someone is up there.  That happened during my high school graduation; we had three valedictorians and they all talked about the construction of the campus, and nothing else.

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 09:46:15 pm »
I see where you're going with this.  My recommendation is to submit a panel request form to Jackie.  Since this'll only be for fun and for promoting a possible contest for next year, I would love to be one of the comedians.  Something that we should consider doing though is discussing what all of the stand-ups will be talking about, so that way we won't have the same thing mentioned every time someone is up there.  That happened during my high school graduation; we had three valedictorians and they all talked about the construction of the campus, and nothing else.
Well if you can get all the forms and stuff taken care of, then I can focus on getting the word out. Because I know DJs at two radio stations who may be able to help us out.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 02:12:19 am »
That'd be awesome!

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 03:39:50 am »
That'd be awesome!
Yeah, but we'll probably need to have everything squared away on your end first.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 03:55:43 am »
Well, if I'm not mistaken, the forms can be submitted online.  I'll get working on this before the week comes to an end.

Do you have a recommendation on when we should have this?  I personally don't care, just so long as it doesn't interfere with my Family Feud panels or my Auction-related duties too much.

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 10:34:46 am »
Not during the cosplay chess or anime dating game, those are my two big events (not to mention that they are very popular). But I think it would be a good idea to do it on the second day, that way we can call attention to it on the first day.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 03:54:54 pm »
I see then...   okay, I'll get to work on the form then!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 04:10:21 pm »
I have a few more questions for you, Teasel.

1-How long do you think we should have this event for?  I was thinking an hour and a half.

2-Aside from mics and speakers, what other Kumoricon equipment do you think we'll need?

3-Should this be rated G, PG, or PG-13?  (R is another option, but I'm pretty sure you'd agree with me that this is out of the question)

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 04:28:40 pm »
I have a few more questions for you, Teasel.

1-How long do you think we should have this event for?  I was thinking an hour and a half.

2-Aside from mics and speakers, what other Kumoricon equipment do you think we'll need?

3-Should this be rated G, PG, or PG-13?  (R is another option, but I'm pretty sure you'd agree with me that this is out of the question)
An hour and a half would be a safe bet (probably wont use it all up). Other than mics and speakers, we could use a digital video camara, that way we can film it and then post it onlne, that way people know what they missed and will (hopefully) want to come next year. And PG-13 for sure, I'll do my best not to swear.  :P
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 04:34:44 pm by Teasel »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 04:30:40 pm »
Okay then!

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2009, 12:24:54 am »
Are all the forms taken care of? When will we know whether or not we're going to do this officially?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2009, 04:24:43 pm »
I just noticed this on the forms yesterday.  As it turns out, the deadline for submissions was early June.  I've sent Jaki an e-mail asking if it was possible to make an exception, but I haven't seen a response yet.  I'm also hoping to talk to her at the next meeting, which is next Sunday.  If I get an e-mail beforehand, I'll post it here.

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2009, 09:30:27 pm »
D:

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2009, 10:35:33 pm »
*Starts coming up with Plan B*

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
Re: Stand Up Comedy at Kumoricon
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 05:55:56 pm »
We need to get more comedians.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2009, 06:05:32 pm »
I'd have to work on my routine, and get it more inclined towards anime fans but....

I'd totally do this somewhere! sign me up!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009, 06:08:38 pm »
That's three total!

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2009, 10:55:27 pm »
Out of curiosity, how old are you AllyKat?

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2009, 12:57:54 am »
Would the people doing this be preforming regular stand up or something much more on the topics of anime?  While a laugh is a laugh, I don't know how long people looking for anime specific things at a con would stay for plain stand up comedy. 

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2009, 01:18:14 am »
We will probably be focusing on things of geeky/otaku nature, and yes, anime.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 01:25:08 am »
Legal. And thats all I'm saying on the forums. Even a girl as young and beautiful as I
may/may not be, deserves some mystery. But I'm old enough to vote, drink and cause
all kinds of crazy fun, if the need arises!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2009, 09:07:46 am »
This sounds interesting. I'd probably come see it... Though I wouldn't perform as I'm not spontaneous and can't think of anything funny to save my life. But I'd come see it nevertheless. :)

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2009, 10:51:18 am »
i was actually considering hosting something like this, but if you are going to do it, that saves me the trouble.
the only thing i like more than pre-written comedy, is improv comedy, so NOBODY WRITE YOUR MATERIAL BEFORE YOU PERFORM

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2009, 11:23:46 am »
improv comedy really requires more than one person... so you can play off
eachothers actions and phrases... it's hard to improv a one-person stand-up,
I'm not saying I couldn't do it, because of done Comedy Sportz enough to
know you have to be ready for anything, but.... it's just not a fun.

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2009, 12:27:27 pm »
Yeah, I rarely do well coming off the dome by myself. I occasionally have moments of win, and have done so on stage before. However, the words in my head don't always come out the way I want, so I need some sort of loose script.  :-\

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2009, 01:34:48 pm »
that would definitely be an awesome idea, and doing a stand up at a convention means that if you do nerdy jokes, a lot more people will get it... But I would love to see that.