Author Topic: What Anime has literally Blown your Mind?  (Read 13406 times)

Offline Classy Viking

• Chibi
    • My Random the Thoughts through the Days
What Anime has literally Blown your Mind?
« on: July 10, 2009, 09:34:10 pm »
For Myself I fine Dead Leaves as an anime shotgun blast to the temple. Not only due to the fact that it is mind numbingly packed with action, but it actually is well animated.

For a small taste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTm19juIP_g

You all's thoughts?
BUNCH OF BABY DUCKS
SEEND THEM TO THE MOON~

Junior Cadet of the TD BRO CHAD

My [Censored] belong to Nikki J

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
Re: What Anime has literally Blown your Mind?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 09:54:58 pm »
Well Brosef, I have to agree with Dead Leaves.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:41:17 pm »
i dont know about mind blown but talking about fruits basket can bring me to tears
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 11:43:54 pm »
Chrono crusade I cry and it is an amazing anime and manga.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 12:08:32 am »
Boogiepop Phantom made me "WTF" though the whole thing. Still does in the books.

<3 Dead Leaves though. It's one of my favorite movies.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 12:55:58 am »
If I could remember what it was called, I still wouldn't be able to talk about it here.  Very graphic, completely insane, fantastic piece of Anime history which I can't remember the name of. :/

There's always FLCL, Paranoia Agent, and Samurai Champloo.  Those aren't really much compared to Dead Leaves though.  I still need to check out Boogiepop Phantom. :P
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 01:41:34 am »
Code Geass's plot was perplexing
Katekyo Hitman Reborn has shocked me a few times.
but after watching dead leaves I'm just like "wtf?"

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 11:21:51 am »
yeah flcl
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 05:10:02 pm »
I have to agree with all the people who said FLCL. I was in awe of the awesome random. (Speaking of awesome random there's a banana battle going on. Food network.)
Tales of the abyss kind paired some interesting tropes in the mix of the series, but I was absolutely sobbing when he made his decision. (The last little bit of 2 years after had me begging them to tell who it was.)
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 09:52:44 pm »
Serial Experiment Lain, Haibane Renmei, Elfin Lied, Serei No Moribito, Ghost in the Shell- the Laughing Man or Stand Alone Complex, for ones not previously listed. But I agree with FLCL, and Boogiepop Phantom, .

Close but am not so certain if it merits being in such vaunted company, Jin-Roh, the Wolf Brigage.

For me though Lain was maybe a bit too far over the top, especially as I really don't have a degree in computer science.

I could say the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, as it really stretched my mind just trying to keep up with what is what. I would have hated to try to watch the show as broadcast. I still have yet to do that.

I am close to saying Last Exile, but it kind of loses integrity in the last few episodes, and wraps up to quickly, as if they were not granted a third season or something, and really wanted to not leave things at a complete dead end. Dunno.

I'd say Kenichi History's Mightiest Disciple, simply for the way for some reason I just love that show to pieces. It isn't History's Greatest Anime or anything. It just gets me all excited. It would be like trying to explain why I like the color yellow. I just do, okay? lol

And from when I was not into anime, but liked to see animated movies, back when hardly anyone besides Disney was doing animation, Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Castle in the Sky. Ghibli films pretty much blow me away.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 10:18:33 pm »
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind had a really profound effect on my views of good and evil, and survival.  It didn't necessarily blow my mind, but it really opened it up to a lot of greater consideration.

Not an anime per se, but I've heard that Ever 17 is probably the most mind-bendingly deep visual novels ever made.  It's also incredibly rare and difficult to track down though.

Offline CloudStrife32

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook, yo!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 10:19:22 pm »
A lot of anime has made me go 'WTF?!', but not many have actually caused my mind to be blown!
In fact, as of right now, the only two animes that have managed to do that, are 's-CRY-ed' and 'Cowboy Bebop'.
~Sakuracon '13~
Leon S. Kennedy [Resident Evil 6]
Paperman [Paperman]

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 04:08:52 am »
So, it's taken this long to mention Evangelion? How can that not blow your mind? I know, to many younger people, it seems contrived, but you have t remember, that the shows you watched, the newer ones? They were ripping off Evangelion, so Eva did it first. Does that make sense at all? I hope it does.

x2 on Jin Roh. Some of the conclusions it leads too are, hmmm, 'unfortunate', but the end was the real whammy.

Now and Then, Here and There was screwed up as hell as well.

Maybe I'll post more later, but I gotta go to work.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 07:39:46 pm »
Kemeko Deluxe - This series is on par with Excel Saga, FLCL and PaniPoni Dash! for WTF action!

Seirei no Moribito - This has to be one of the most beautiful anime series ever!  The entire series has a quality you would expect in a theatrical release.  Just eye popping good!

Cross Game - OK I am sure some are asking why I put this show here.  I suppose it is because of the first episode.  Watch it.  Make sure you have a good supply of tissues.  Did it blow your mind (maybe make you blow your nose), or at least surprise the heck out of you?

I suppose there are others, but these came to mind first.  There are also many movies that blew my mind, but I sort of expect that in a theatrical release.  ;D
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 07:56:08 pm »
I'd have to say Fullmetal Alchemist was one that really blew my mind. It was just full of twists, turns, and it really tugged at my heart-strings from some of its really depressing moments. It's definately one of my all time favorite animes.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 11:27:22 pm »
Eden of the East is pretty mind-blowing and awesome. This series is just 11 episodes, but I find that most anime that are this short to be really good. Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, Elfen Lied, and Kino's Journey are all personal favorites too.

here's a link if you want to know what it's about.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10474

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 12:50:13 am »
Gonna say Darker than Black and Gurran Lagann
Darker than Black because it is always keeping me on the edge of my seat
Gurran Lagann because it is always full of energy and never really has a dull moment

China bound!!!

Offline PrinceZacky

• Cabbit
    • My DA
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 12:14:46 am »
Gurren Lagann and Wolf's Rain.
Gurren Lagann has literally everything and then some, plus it's ridiculously epic and full of manly power XD
Wolf's Rain is just heart wrenchingly beautiful

*edit DARNIT I ALWAYS SPELL IT WITH AN A Dx
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:12:27 pm by PrinceZacky »
K-Con '09
Sho Minamimoto - TWEWY

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 01:25:52 am »
3 things:
1. It's Gurren Lagann
2. Gurren Lagann was awesome. Mind blowing is up to personal taste, as it wasn't anything ground breaking.

3. Gunbuster will in fact blow your mind and Drive you to tears. Fact.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 01:27:55 am by Man of the Public »

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 09:43:47 am »
to me, it's anime that effects me in some way. FMA is one of them, do to the controversy it has in a few episodes (I'm refering to Night of the Chimera's Cry mostly) also the characters are well done, the story is well thought up, and it's not one that is overly done to where you can actually guess what's going to happen next. Rumbling Hearts (Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien) is another one. A story that at the beginning is a normal love story, but then take's a big turn for the worse. Unlike other anime, it show's the human being for what they really are and how they truly act, even if some of the stuff is a little to far fetched. It still show's us what we would do in certain situations and be truthful about the human mind. It doesn't have action, or comedy, and the ending is bitter sweet. But it is reality at it's worse and it's still one that effects me greatly. Requiem from the Darkness is one of the most screwed up series I've ever seen. It shows the evil side of the human race and what some of us will do to get what we want. It's dark and thrilling and definitely should get more recognition than what it does have.

Offline Chaotic.Fox

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 04:19:05 pm »
Ok on Valentines Day, I was alone, so I sat down and watch all of an anime called "Final Approach" which is one anime that is cute and really random but then I sat down and watched all of FLCL in one sitting, and after that I was all "Whoa" So FLCL is one of those anime that seriously blew my mind at how awsome it was..

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 10:31:57 pm »
Soul Eater and FMA, to start. Those are the only two mainstream ones I haven't lost interest in after two episodes. But I really liked Double Arts. I almost cried when I found out the last chapter was forced on way too soon. D:
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 10:58:49 pm »
dead leaves, excel saga, sayoonara zetsubou sensei, paprika, Flcl, Utena, Jungle De Ikou, And burst angel.

And I love them all so much. X3
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 02:18:30 am »
death note. i love that story to death. MUAHAHAHA. but i hate how it ends. light is so cool, then a wimp. UGH

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 10:59:46 am »
you know i love me some elfen lied!

i think the ending of berserk blew my mind.
i don't understand why everyone thought that was a bad ending, i thought it fit the series quite well

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 11:09:19 am »
I know this has been said but FMA definitely, I absolutely loved the storyline and FMA will ALWAYS be one of my all-time favorites.
It was really captivating.
I miss 2010.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 12:46:46 pm »
I know this has been said but FMA definitely, I absolutely loved the storyline and FMA will ALWAYS be one of my all-time favorites.
It was really captivating.

that's because FMA was something new, it dared to do something that was controversial and go against the norm for anime, and it did well. The characters great, they had life and emotion, and showed what humanity was at it's best and it's worse. The environment was also different, especially when they threw in that little loop hole in one of the last episodes.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 03:04:42 pm »
If this is too innapropriate, I'll go ahead and delete this, but tentacle hentai has always blown me away, but possibly not in the way that this thread was designed for.  It freaks me out; why wouldn't the monster just eat the girl, or something?  It's just wrong.

Excel Saga was another one and, in some ways, Blue Seed did, too.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 05:06:18 pm »
An anime movie called "Mind Game"

It's like if Excel Saga and FLCL had a baby.  That's how weird it is.

Offline animeotakujoanne

• Sailor Scout
    • Joanne K. Cosplay
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 05:09:36 pm »
besides full metal alchemist and other epic anime, Both Princess Tutu and Toradora have really blown me away, and remain two of my all-time favorites. In a blog I read I completely agree with Toradora being the new classic and standard for tsundere anime
Kumoricon 2013!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 09:57:11 am »
An anime movie called "Mind Game"

It's like if Excel Saga and FLCL had a baby.  That's how weird it is.

I've heard of it, but never seen it.  Sounds like I'd enjoy it.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 02:17:14 pm »
petshop of horrors blew my mind n 4 episodes, which is great because i don't think i could have watched much more of it >.>
its great, but its like hell girl in the fact that every episode is the same

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 06:38:54 pm »
A mind-blowing series... That's a tough one. There are a number of them that I've really enjoyed, but as for one that has blown me away... Well, that's tough. :o

I'd probably have to say "Mobile Suit Gundam", "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann" and "Kaleido Star". All three blew me away when I first saw them, and I still love them today. MSG and KS I have an obsession with... ><

...Maybe next year I'll do a Kalos Eido cosplay. XD

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline Chaotic.Fox

• Chibi
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2009, 06:40:12 pm »
it didn't really blow my mind more of scare me, but Potemayo *shutters*

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 06:50:00 pm »
it's not technically an anime, but it's close and is cosplayed, Avatar. The story was magnificently done, with great characters, and a really mature theme. It was mature, even tho it didn't have blood, gore, cursing, or sex, it still dealt with adult issues, like genocide, slavery, imprisonment, and torture. To me, this series show's much more maturity than (sorry for even mentioning this series) Naruto and Bleach.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 10:22:54 pm »

I'd probably have to say "Mobile Suit Gundam", "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann" and "Kaleido Star". All three blew me away when I first saw them, and I still love them today. MSG and KS I have an obsession with... ><

Bet your excited about Cynthia Martinez being at KCon this year.  The VA for Sora!  W00T!  Get your Kaleido Star wall scroll signed.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 01:28:19 am by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 01:07:10 am »
lately, i have been addicted to chibi vampire. idk why, but the story concept seems very well thought out. and i just love the story and chars. GAH, me and my manga phases.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 05:49:30 am »
Perhaps I missed it, but I don't think anyone has mentioned Higurashi no koro ni?  I think the English version is When They Cry or something like that.  Anyway, I remember watching a few episodes of this a couple years ago and just not being dynamic enough to follow it.  I'll probably re-watch it sometime soon.  It seemed to have a lot of depth that I was just not connecting with at the time.

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2009, 09:38:45 am »
oh, there was one anime that i thought was amazing. but i can't remember the name. it was like, crap. i forgot. ok, it was about these people who could use like some magic thing. but they had to take from the area to make their weapon. like the main guy had an arm, that was red. and it like had rockets on the back or something. and then when they were absorbing the crap to make their weapon, it was all rainbows and crap

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2009, 03:37:08 pm »
I have to say I've become a huge fan of the series "Baccano!" There's something about the balance of violence, humor, and suspense in it that I just totally wasn't expecting when I started the series. In my opinion I think it deserves WAY more love....

I read a review of it somewhere online and the person gave the best description of the show ever...
"It's Quentin Tarantino, meets the mafia, and soaked in the swagger of the 1930's."
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline alphonselric89

• Oni
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2009, 09:23:27 pm »
D-GRay man and Full metal alchemist

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2009, 11:48:33 pm »
Darker than Black because it is always keeping me on the edge of my seat
I just recently started watching it.

MY MIND HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY BLOWN.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2009, 11:50:25 pm »
Gurren Lagann. <3

Offline Hidamari

• Catgirl
    • Reddsause- fandubs, parodies, and then some!
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2009, 11:51:13 pm »
Higurashi. The way all the elements of the plot unravel is spectacularly done.

Not done yet, but also, Gurren lagann
Sakuracon~

• Catgirl
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 12:27:55 am »
oh, there was one anime that i thought was amazing. but i can't remember the name. it was like, crap. i forgot. ok, it was about these people who could use like some magic thing. but they had to take from the area to make their weapon. like the main guy had an arm, that was red. and it like had rockets on the back or something. and then when they were absorbing the crap to make their weapon, it was all rainbows and crap
S-cry-ED

And the name of Rocket Arm guy is Kazuma the Shell Bullet.

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2009, 01:24:24 am »
FullMetal Alchemist. My favorite and always will be <3

And not an anime, but a live action series of a manga: A taiwanese drama called... Mars. ^^
KumoriCon 2012

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2009, 10:26:19 am »
S-cry-ED

And the name of Rocket Arm guy is Kazuma the Shell Bullet.
i was actually just going to mention this.

one anime that really blew my mind just from watching the first volume is basilisk.
i love the theme, its like romeo and juliet w/ ninjas.
totally badass.

Basilisk >na-retard-o for sure...
actually...
anything > naruto IMO

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2009, 04:10:48 pm »
Okay as an adult I, Animeman73, have seen lots of anime over the years  :D. But I can think of several anime that blew my mind. Back in the early 90's when i was going to college Syfy, known then as, The Sci-fi channel, had a program line-up called Adventures in Japanese Animation which was three anime movies that really blew me away and got me into anime. Those movies were, Robot Carnival, Lensman, and Vampire Hunter D. All three of those movies rocked so hard and reeked of sop much awesomeness that I couldn't help but think this is the collest thing I have ever seen in my life  8). Yeah i know they're pretty old school but hey that's my thoughts on the matter  :D.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2009, 04:14:58 pm »
I also forgot to mention Mushishi, which totally blew my mind.

Offline NickelZinc13

• Cabbit
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2009, 09:04:54 pm »
It's not an anime, but a visual novel. Ever17 was the BIGGEST mind blast of anything I have seen - or read, rather.

If it HAS to be an anime, then Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:07:01 pm by NickelZinc13 »
LOOK! IT'S MY SIGNATURE! :D

I lost the game.

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2009, 10:14:15 am »
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei...Wicked funny and very clever.  I love the running jokes and stupid things this show can get away with, also its a lovely satire on Japanese culture too, and just beautiful to watch.

And those intros...  I busted those out in my design class and we rewatched them maybe 7 times over a 12 week course and most of the (very diverse) class loved them too.

Also a mind blower for me was Gankutsuou.... a visual stunner and a nice adaptation of one of my favorite pieces of literature. I manged to get both my mother(50) and grandmother(85) to watch it and even they were wowed.
If you were gay, that'd be okay.

I'm mean cause hey, I'd like you anyways.

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2009, 11:57:03 am »
Higurashi no Naku koro Ni.  It went to very unexpected, trippy places very quickly, and episode 5 starts up after the events of episode 4 with me going "huuuuhh???"  which was pretty spectacular.

BUT THEN!!!  The way the story arcs all intersect and come together, and when the pieces of the puzzle start falling in place, that was pretty much a "MY MIND WAS JUST BLOWN" moment. 

And then the second season adds MORE depth to the whole thing and it's just like, "BHALBHLABJALAJBLAJBLJ????

AWESOME. <3  Higurashi is so cool.  I like a series that you can re-watch and pick up on so many things that didn't seem quite so significant before.

Also, Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan and Puni Puni Poemi blew my mind in that they were so fast-paced and filled with general WTF-ery and rapid-fire comedic chaos, and that was swell. <3

Also, my first exposure to Evangelion was The End of Evangelion movie and....my mind was soup.  But it was pretty. <3

k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2009, 09:02:49 pm »
Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan
Bokusatsu tenshi doku-dokuro-chan.
the epic troll of all animu.

one of mai personal favorites.
they should have continued that series.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2009, 09:11:26 pm »
Well misamisa who do you have to thank for that anime hmmm?

I saw it on the internet first and got both seasons at bestbuy for like 16 bucks.

as for me hmm:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei really threw me for a loop as well but my first mind blowing came from Outlaw Star as it was my first taste of Modern anime.

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2009, 10:56:10 pm »
i agree with everyone that has said fullmetal alchemist, i adore that anime and it really hit me deep down. i have a tattoo of the last transmutation ed draws on himself ^.^

i saw someone else say requiem from the darkness, agreed there too. i've never seen such a gruesome anime. i loved it! the style was just sooooo different than anything i'd ever seen before, and some of the stories were just jaw dropping. thanks to eve for showing me that one >.O

someone else said wolf's rain, agreed there too. i cried. a lot. T.T

another would be le chevalier d'eon. visually stunning with a complex storyline that still has me asking questions after seeing the whole anime twice through. i've never seen an anime that draws on actual historical events and people then takes it to a whole new level. everyone should see that anime.

and another would be speed grapher. the concept was crazy and really unique. i've seen it twice through also and both times i was in awe of the story/plot and all the great characters that were introduced.

most of the ones i've seen, the more serious ones at least, have made my jaw drop and given me a lot to ponder, thus giving them a lot of re-watchability, but my list has gone on long enough for now, lol.

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
    • Myspace profile :)
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2009, 11:14:07 pm »
Hellsing blew me away cause it opened me up to a lot of things I wasn't aware of like graphic violence, sexual themes and language. I found it somewhat forbidden for me and I loved it.

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2009, 09:53:04 am »
claymore i watched it and it had to be one of the best animes iv seen
elfen lied it has so much controversial subjects (rape,nudity,animal abuse,child abuse,etc.)
berserk for being good then kicking you in the face at the end of the last disk

Offline gladimus

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2009, 01:47:52 pm »
Oh man, this is hard for me to choose!

Story-wise: Higurashi no naku koro ni and ni kai.. Rei I'm skeptical on because it's so far full of fillers and just when I was getting excited about the first arch in season 3.. It turned around and disappointed me >__> I just love how everything pulls you in to the story, it's confusing at first but the confusion makes you want to watch more until everything is answered.

Artistically- Paprika and Arashi no Yoru ni. One is full of mind-blowing detail, while the other has a very soft playful look that keeps an old traditional art style, but at the same time has the new modern look tied into it.

Characters and story- Princess Tutu. Despite the name and first appearance, this is definately a case of 'Don't Judge a Book by it's Cover'. The plot is very engaging and keeps finding ways to keep you hooked til the very end, the characters are all so fun and interesting, and I love how it incorporates the old with the new. Especially the classic music. Everyone knows the music, but the way it's put in the series always puts the proper emotion. Bringing old folklore, fairytales, and ballet classics and making them new and exciting is another thing I love.
It's a great anime for most anyone, even guys can enjoy it thoroughly.

Humor- Ranma 1/2 and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. I seriously can't stop laughing in either of them. The jokes are always funny! And in Zetsubou I have to pause a lot to see more jokes, but they're always funny to find.

cuteness- Potemayo. I think I might have exploded from the cute when I watched it....

Other's I've been amazed by... Fullmetal Alchemist (so many emotional moments) Grave of the Fireflies, Angel Sanctuary, Phoenix, Blackjack
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 01:50:14 pm by gladimus »