Author Topic: Surviving the Con  (Read 20869 times)

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Surviving the Con
« on: July 04, 2009, 12:10:08 pm »
So now you want to go to con, but before you get your registration started there are several tips to keep in mind to have yourself a fun, enjoyable experience:

STAY HYDRATED. Walking around the convention center will be a workout all in itself, so it’s crucial that you drink plenty of water during your stay. It will keep you from feeling fatigued during those treks across the con. And no, coffee and soda don’t count.

BRING YOUR OWN FOOD. For every convention, there are bound to be convenient food vendors that have sodas and snacks for you…if you enjoy paying $3.00 for a bottle of Pepsi. Food and drink that are sold within the convention center tend to be overpriced, so it’s best to bring your own snacks to munch on if you get hungry.

Eat Healthy: Many con goers often forget to eat healthy and end up getting sick after or during the convention. Dont forget to take some time to eat 3 square meals a day if you can help it, otherwise you'll end up like me and almost get sent to the ER by MamaKat, our con nurse.

SHOWER SHOWER SHOWER. You’re going to be in an enclosed building with thousands of other attendees just like you, so it’s going to become hot and sweaty within a couple of hours. When you’re in one place with this many people, you’re going to want to be as fresh as possible otherwise you’re going to smell it.

WEAR COMFORTABLE CLOTHES. If you plan on cosplaying throughout the con, once in a while you may want to take a break from those tight boots and heavy coats. Even the most comfortable costumes become stuffy within several hours, so you should always have an extra change of comfortable clothes with you just in case. Comfortable shoes are also a must for this occasion, unless you’re perfectly comfortable walking in heels for several days straight.

THINK BEFORE YOU BUY. So you see an amazing item that you feel you must own? Hold onto your wallet for a second and make sure that you really are getting the best bang for your buck. There are lots of shops in the Dealer’s Hall, and there’s a chance that item you might be eyeing is also available at the booth the next isle down for a much lower price. It’s also possible that your con could host a Swap Meet, an event where people sell and trade their stuff at a much lower price than any dealer could give you.

KEEP YOUR CAMERA READY. Every con experience is different, and it’s always great to capture the memories on film. The last thing you want is for your camera to die or your memory card/tape to run out of space. Always keep spare batteries and spare ammo closeby at all times so you don’t miss a moment.

BE POLITE TO ALL OTHER COSPLAYERS. I know it’s hard to withhold your fangasming if you see a really fantastic cosplayer in front of you, but you have to remember that they’re fans just like you who want to have fun as well. Always ask permission for a picture and be considerate of their personal space. If they do give you permission to glomp though, then feel free to do so.

SOCIALIZE! You never know who you will meet at a con, so don’t be afraid to talk to people you’ve never met before. They’re anime fans just like you, so at least you’ll have some common ground. Sometimes the coolest people you’ll ever make might come from a convention, so remember to get out of your shell and have some fun. A convention is always better when there are others to share the joy with.

HAVE A PLAN. Nothing sucks more than aimlessly wandering a convention without knowing what to do. Every convention will have a guide with a map and a schedule of events, so it’s best to note down the events that you want to attend. There’s no need to create a rigid schedule, but at least have an idea on how to spend the day. You’ll get more out of the weekend that way.

SLEEP: Believe it or not this is important. The con sleeps and so should you. If you do not sleep, your body will not regenerate, you will be unable to digest food or metabolize foods properly and as a result will beecome weak or sick. so SLEEP!
There are tons of other tips that I may have missed, but for me these are the absolute musts whenever going to any anime convention. Follow these tips and you can’t go wrong. You may also want to ask some other experienced con attendees for advice in case you still need help. Keep these basics in mind and you can’t go wrong, and remember to have a blast!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 09:08:46 pm by kylite »
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Surviving the Con
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 12:12:13 pm »
There may be some that you missed but those are the most important ones....other than eat (which I forget to do a lot ^_^;)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 12:23:12 pm »
Great tips! Each one a must. Thanks for posting, Kylite.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 02:44:35 pm »
No sleep lol. ;]
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Namazzi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 11:14:41 am »
Sleep? What's that???
lol. Great tips. Thanks for sharing.  ;D

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 11:27:21 am »
SHOWER SHOWER SHOWER. You’re going to be in an enclosed building with thousands of other attendees just like you, so it’s going to become hot and sweaty within a couple of hours. When you’re in one place with this many people, you’re going to want to be as fresh as possible otherwise you’re going to smell it.

This one is a REALLY REALLY good one @_@ I was stuck in an elevator last year and someone didn't take this piece of advice...

It wasn't very fun squeezed in an enclosed space with BO floating around DX The only upside of being stuck in there was that I got a picture with Yatta Dante from the Anime Hunters xD

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 06:32:39 pm »
Bring extra batteries 8D and I'd advise not to wear heels either but sometimes for cosplays you can't help it.
And don't stack up on energy drinks, they're not a good as you think.
Good tip i got last year was drink water when you wake up and alternate between energy drink and water through out the day.
Another thing is always keeping your possessions in check.

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 08:01:20 pm »
Set up a meet up point if you're going to the con with friends. Pre-determine the time if you want to keep everything running smoothly too.
Going to a con when your sick is a bad idea. (Worse than microwaving paintballs!)
Do not glomp people, said people may accidentally get stabbed with their own costumes or props. Hence, glomping people is also a bad idea.
Do at least one spontanious thing. Breakfast at a waffle house at 4 AM with Seto Kaiba and Luke Fabian, sound good? Henna tatoo? Kiss JoeyBlondeWolf? (Had to add this one~! Heard about it on myspace.)
Edit: Mookychick has a few good articles on conventions too. Check it out if you have time.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:37:38 am by The_Geek »
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline MamaKat

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 03:27:04 pm »
I have one to add.

Follow the 6-2-1 Rule

6 hours of sleep a day. I know this sounds impossible, but even if it is in small blocks, 6 hours out of 24 is a must to stay healty, and moderately sane, during the con

2 decent meals a day. A meal does not consist of pocky and a Ramune! I mean real food, something with protein in it, veggies, and complex carbs. Also, orange juice can be a life saver. 

1 shower a day! Really, shower, please. If you don't have a room, borrow a friends key and take a quick shower, using soap. Then put on deodorant. (Foamy's rules for A-Kon is a must see, google it or surf over to You Tube).

So Remember 6-2-1 For Kumoricon Fun! :P

MamaKat

Kumoricon Nurse 2009, 2008, 2005, 2004

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 04:06:28 pm »
Nice way to sum up the essentials. Nice and memorable (not that I have trouble remembering to take a shower!) ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 07:34:05 pm »
6-2-1 rule I like it!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 09:59:10 am »
here is one, if you are going to be using spray hair color, bring a old towel from home so you dont ruin the hotel towels
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 03:53:17 am »
If you must, do as I do.
Run up to your hotel room and grab your lunch, then eat it waiting in line for your event!~
Just make sure to cover up with napkins or risk spilling on your cosplay! eeep

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 05:43:08 am »
Don't start drinking 9293797 energy drinks and think it's good for you. Energy drinks can usually make you feel hyped up for part of the day, but then you suddenly start feeling really tired or sick; not to mention that all the caffeine and sugar doesn't do well for your body either.

Was it last year that Kumoricon had a ton of free Bawl's drinks all over? I know that drink single handedly had the entire con (or maybe just some of the staff, heh) hyped up all weekend.

I'd have to agree, though. Having a ton of energy drinks may seem like a good idea. "I'm gonna be doing a ton of stuff and not getting sleep, I need energy!" It will definitely make you feel like a wreck, though. Stomach and head aches ensue with too much sugar and energy drinks.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline kayfig

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 08:48:51 am »

Please.
Please.
For Ceilling Cat's sake, please.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 10:14:03 am »
there was an experiment where we gave away free bawls, sadly people kept opening them, taking a sip and setting them down to do the same to another and another.. 1000 bawls cans later.... *ARG*
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 10:16:18 am »
Ah, yeah, I did notice that happening. Never got my hands on a can myself, so I guess I shall never know what I missed out on, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 10:20:53 am »
My advice: Bring aspirin, I know I needed it last year, all that constant going and screaming from everyone gave me one helluva headache. XDD
I miss 2010.

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 11:33:20 am »
OOH OOH OOH!
I have one.
Try and keep your hotel room clean, especially if you have a long drive home. You don't want to spend a huge section of the last day cleaning up your room, and sorting through various peoples crap.

Change of shoes = WONDERFUL IDEA! For last year, that would have been great. This year, my characters wear comfy shoes (flats, platform-flip flops, and sneakers. HAROO).

And yes, you must do at least one thing you wouldn't do any other time. Anime conventions are special, once (or twice, or 3 time) a year things, and you must treat them as such. Spaz about a fangirl obsession (just stay away from ultimate glomping them), play red rover at midnight, laugh like lunatic for no immediately apparent reason (he he, I'll be doing that alot), dance, sing, socialize, be in character! There are so many things that would make you look like a total dumb arse any where else, but at an anime convention you are with people who completely understand spending 20 minutes trying to pull open a push door (friend did that last year)!

(Some advertiser person kept taking my picture with the cans. It made me feel like my costume was appreciated!)
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 11:38:35 am »
One more thing:
Don't forget to have fun!
These are people with the same interests as you, don't hold yourself back for fear of making a fool of yourself. Face it: that's inevitable. XDD
But might as well have fun doing it and laugh at yourself later.
I miss 2010.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 07:51:04 pm »
true this Gs the one place where we all get the joke ,  also  the one place it is safe to accept food from strangers ...
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 08:11:33 pm »
Yep (to the food thing)!
You can even except it if they're in trench coats!
It is going to be...

Offline shikyo

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 01:28:46 am »
You can even except it if they're in trench coats!

Reminds me of the merchant from RE, lol.  ;D I got a good can of Mt Dew. XD

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 08:18:02 pm »
lol.

I thought of another one:
Remember people are going to be taking your picture. Don't obsess about it, but make sure that you look good, and try and practice being in character in front of a mirror or something. I know everyone can pull off the character they're cosplaying, just try and do an in character pose! But do have fun with it, unless you're like sasuke or something. Then pretend that you are amazingly pissed.

Ok.
It is going to be...

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 09:57:49 am »
VOLUNTEER!!!!   ;D   (either as a regular volunteer OR as staff)
You'll learn a LOT about how cons are run and will meet a lot of great people 

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 02:18:05 pm »
Set a sleep schedule!!!

China bound!!!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 02:49:15 pm »
my advice:

1)BRING YOUR OWN FOOD

stuff like breads, its not a garuntee that your going to have a fridge or a microwave, some hotels do. ramen is good, all hotels have a coffee pot I think to heat up water.

[removed text encouraging room stuffing -JeffT, Administrator]

3)energy wise:

GET UP EARLY THE FIST DAY even if your already registered, its fun just to walk around and have fun to : ) you dont have to be in the line, last year i remeber just walking circles around the line early in the morning and I met some great people that way!

also, try 5 hour energy instead of energy drinks ONLY IF YOU REALLY NEED TO its better for you and it doesnt ahve as big of a crash. it tastes nasty but i use it for all nighters.

and here are some tips for keeping awake:

when and doubt stand on your head. it wakes you up believe it or not. it gets your blood moving

4) KEEP YOUR CELL PHONE ON
bring a charger
and if your in a group MAKE SURE that you have EVERYONES NUMBER

5) make friends <3 this is a GREAT place for friends, cause hey we all share the same fandom after all right?

i made a lot of really great friends this way : ) just go up and talk to people, dont be all "OMG BEST BUDS" five minutes after meeting them, but just enjoy your time

6) BREAKFAST

it gets you going, with out breakfast your body fails pretty much

eat good things, not just a box of poky, for instance im baking some muffins that I'm gonna take with our group for the first day so we have something to eat in the morning

7) establish some rules for you rhotel room

they dont have to be incredibley strict but they keep things running smoothly

8) if your sharring a room, take a shower while the others are asleep, you get the hot water, and then your not holding it up for every one

9) explore the city, go outside of the con area a bit : ) theres almost always a park next door, and this year we have a mall and pioneer square really close by (cosplayers invade down town much?)

thats my advice : ) i hope it comes in handy
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 01:22:39 am by JeffT »
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 12:24:35 am »
sadly, when I went, we spent over 50 dollars on food, and barely used any of the food we bought, except the second morning where we made kumoricon sandwiches. So try to bring money for food as well, and pace the amount you spend so that way, you at least have some just in case. When you see something you like, wait a little while, and then go back to it, because you might find something even better. Pace yourself throughout the con, take thing's somewhat slow so you don't exhaust yourself within the first few hours. Definitely shower, it will feel really good for you, and help everyone else out as well. Also, try to plan out the stuff you really want to do, so that you can know which hour's you can go and eat, and sleep, and shower.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009, 10:28:05 pm »
sadly, when I went, we spent over 50 dollars on food, and barely used any of the food we bought, except the second morning where we made kumoricon sandwiches. So try to bring money for food as well, and pace the amount you spend so that way, you at least have some just in case. When you see something you like, wait a little while, and then go back to it, because you might find something even better. Pace yourself throughout the con, take thing's somewhat slow so you don't exhaust yourself within the first few hours. Definitely shower, it will feel really good for you, and help everyone else out as well. Also, try to plan out the stuff you really want to do, so that you can know which hour's you can go and eat, and sleep, and shower.
Ya and pulling a Maderame (Genshiken) is not the best choice

China bound!!!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 08:28:28 am »
Safety tip: before the convention, sort through your wallet and remove everything that you won't need at the convention - store credit cards, library card, social security card, etc. You should only bring the necessities such as your ID, a debit or credit card, and some money. Leave everything else at home to ensure it isn't lost or stolen (sometimes things do disappear from hotel rooms - you could put stuff into the hotel safe if you prefer, but there's still a chance you may forget the items at checkout time).

Next, ensure that you have POCKETS in all your outfits so you have a place to stash your ID, d/c card, hotel room key and money on your person.
For cosplayers, this is sometimes difficult as not all characters have obvious pockets. 
Suggestions:
     * if you plan on wearing a hat, you can attach a small pocket inside the hat. Be sure to include either a zipper or velcro to close it so that nothing escapes when you remove the hat & tip it upside down.
     * if you wear traditional Japanese clothing, the sleeves can function as pockets (that *IS* what the Japanese did), and the opening at the front of the top just above the obi can also hold some items
     * sew in a pocket on the inside of a jacket  - hey, just because the jacket didn't come with pockets, it doesn't mean it can't have any added to it.
     * the quickest mini-pocket is to take a scrap of fabric, fold it in half and stitch up the sides to make a mini-pouch that you can pin to any part of the inside of your clothing - just be sure to pin it in a place that you can access when you need to obtain the items you need.
     * If you've attended other conventions where they hand out plastic badge holders - and have remembered to keep them - you'll have a mini-pocket you can attach to your lanyard behind your badge. Those plastic badge holders don't hold a lot, but are big enough to hold the minimal necessities.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 09:44:58 am »
thankfully two of my three have pockets. XD two of my three costumes use the same pants. I'm not too sure what I am going to do with Kuja though =/ I'll just drag a friend along that will carry my money XD

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 09:50:22 am »
the good thing is, I can replace the pants with another pair of black pants, and it wont change the outfit in any way, which is good.

Offline Marluxia

• Sailor Scout
    • An insane artist's ravings
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 10:55:54 am »
Avoid unfriendly cosplayers. You usually see them in groups of 2-8, with usually well-made cosplays and weapons, sitting or standing in a public area where they will be noticed. But as soon as you walk up to them and ask for a picture, they look at you like you just disturbed their happy place, and grudgingly say yes. Or if you walk by them dressed as the same character, they all glare at you until you walk away or they realise it isnt working. Ask them for pictures if you must, but you would be better off ignoring them completely. These are people who go to cons to show off and act superior, not to have fun.

Chibitalia (Axis Powers Hetalia)- 100% complete
Marluxia (Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories)- 100% complete
Guru (One Fine Day)- 85% complete
See you at Kumoricon '09! <33

Offline Marluxia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 11:02:46 am »
I remember the elavator! I was the Marluxia stuck in there. XD

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 11:46:48 am »
Avoid unfriendly cosplayers. You usually see them in groups of 2-8, with usually well-made cosplays and weapons, sitting or standing in a public area where they will be noticed. But as soon as you walk up to them and ask for a picture, they look at you like you just disturbed their happy place, and grudgingly say yes. Or if you walk by them dressed as the same character, they all glare at you until you walk away or they realise it isnt working. Ask them for pictures if you must, but you would be better off ignoring them completely. These are people who go to cons to show off and act superior, not to have fun.

Hey....now that isn't very nice. All of us good cosplayers aren't mean. If I sigh when someone asks for my picture it isn't that I don't want to have my picture taken it is that I want to get somewhere to sit for just a second. Last year as the sand siblings we could hardly take a few steps without getting our picture taken.

Some are stuck up but not all. Actually I was intimidated but a bunch of them but they turned out to be the sweetest people I know. Missy and Emily are perfect examples of that :P http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs36/f/2008/260/c/4/c4f0d57bf5b3dd76c64addf50cc79412.jpg

Offline Marluxia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2009, 12:08:40 pm »
I wasnt talking about anyone in paticular, or just good cosplayers. X3 Sorry if I made it seem that way. Not all the unfriendly ones are 'good' cosplayers, just half the time, the other half are people who think that they are better that everyone else. THOSE are the ones I advise avoiding.

Offline Marluxia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2009, 12:20:07 pm »
I find at least one group at every con I go to, and by now I just ignore them. My first Kumoricon, I was sneered at by just such a pair.

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009, 12:27:00 pm »
I didn't see anyone like that last year.
+ When I went to take your picture last year, Nikki, you talked to me for a little while. I felt all super honored, especially when I learned that you were a freaking cosplay goddess.

To add to what Marluxia and Nikki said, most cosplayers are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Even when people are glaring at you, walk up to them and be super friendly, they usually stop glaring at you. Even if you're just walking by, smile, I'd actually tell you not to avoid them. Include them in your fun.
 ;D
It is going to be...

Offline Marluxia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 12:32:48 pm »
x3 Ill try and do that.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 12:33:34 pm »
All of the people kinda blend together from the con last year. I should know a lot more this year :P

And they could be glaring because they are in character. I was a little cocky because that is how Temari acts. XD

Offline Marluxia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009, 12:41:19 pm »
Also in addition to showering at the con, to quote Tank-Girl, "BRUSH YO' TEETH." Its important. Trust me. Nothing makes people flee more than bad breath, except not showering. X3

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2009, 07:33:20 pm »
I just found this, and this has to be some of the greatest advice I could have read involving anime conventions in general. It's the Ten Plagues of Anime Conventions and explains the downsides to con's and what you can do to either get around it or beware of certain things:

http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/articles/thecat/8531-10panime

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2009, 11:04:57 pm »

China bound!!!

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 06:37:47 pm »
Katie's advice of life:
Websites never have everything, us, the cosplayers, always know more than the damn sites.
It is going to be...

Offline fuuwindgoddess

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/orihimeichigo
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2009, 02:55:28 am »
Katie's advice of life:
Websites never have everything, us, the cosplayers, always know more than the damn sites.

Thats so true hehe. Anyways the only problem i have is talking to people i don't know, im just to shy for my own good
ICHIGO CUP OF COFFEE!!!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2009, 07:34:48 am »
My most important survival tip:

The revolving doors fit ONE per section.  I recommend people just don't use them when there is a lot of traffic flow.

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2009, 11:28:02 am »
*nods*
Yeah.
Getting stuck in a revolving door is no fun, no fun at all.

And listen to the hotel people. If they say 8 to an elevator, you do not sneak you cousin in under your skirt, I don't care how small he is. The elevators broke last year, and I had to climb 5 flights of stairs in 4 inch heels. Not friggen fun.
It is going to be...

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2009, 11:29:02 am »
*nods*
Yeah.
Getting stuck in a revolving door is no fun, no fun at all.

And listen to the hotel people. If they say 8 to an elevator, you do not sneak you cousin in under your skirt, I don't care how small he is. The elevators broke last year, and I had to climb 5 flights of stairs in 4 inch heels. Not friggen fun.

how do you get stuck in a revolving door???

China bound!!!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2009, 11:30:09 am »
Putting enough people to jam it in one "segment".

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2009, 11:30:57 am »
Yeah, it's easier than you know.
And less fun than you'd think it'd be.
If worst comes to worst, try really hard not to fall down.
It is going to be...

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2009, 11:33:46 am »
sgt you are talking to griff i would jusst stay in the revolving doors and go around and around because it would be fun.
but eve i can see what you mean. to early for me still not thinking

China bound!!!

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2009, 11:36:25 am »
As stated, just don't fall down. NOT FUN!
It is going to be...

Offline flash15

• Cabbit
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2009, 12:42:18 am »
This is something that I harp on at another con, but as I dont see it mentioned here yet, I will do so.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be respectful of others, and I dont just mean the other con goers or staff.

There are people at the hotels who are not a part of the convention.  Dont crowd the halls so they cant get through or hog the elevator, run down the hallways at night, ect.  Please remember there are others out there who need to get on with their lives as well.

And I can not stress this enough, but BE RESPECTFUL OF HOTEL STAFF!!!  They are graciously putting up with us for the weekend.  Please, leave them with a positive memory of anime fans.  I will even just stop by the desk and say thank you to the clerk there as I walk by.  You are not being funny as you run away from them, you look dumb and are causing problems for all of us.

And while I am thinking about it, no room parties, because someone always ends up trashing their room in some way.  Disgusting.  Lots of public transit in P-town, take it somewhere else (as long as it is safe).

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2009, 01:06:01 am »
As stated, just don't fall down. NOT FUN!

Oh, I already know I'm going to fall. xD
Yuna's Wedding dress and Veil... yeah, I'mma fall. A lot. Down the giant spirally stair in the Hilton. xD

I've got a few:
- when staying in the hotel, bring NUITRIOUS FOOD. Most hotels at least have a microwave somewhere, or a coffee machine or a fridge.
- If over 21, BAAAAAAAAAAD idea to drink during the con weekend. You really wanna get up with a hangover and then go spend 20 hours in con area trying to be hyper? Didn't think so. xD
- Keep a watch or clock with you(my PSP for me) to know the time. Being late for a panel or anything is never fun. >.<
- Early is good for any of the lines. Bring a good manga or hand-held videogame majigger with you for the wait. And a bottle of water, 'cause you maybe be waiting.
- KEEP HYDRATED! Preferrably keep a bottle of water in your bag at all times; don't know when you or someone else may need it.
KumoriCon 2012

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2009, 01:13:28 am »
- Early is good for any of the lines. Bring a good manga or hand-held videogame majigger with you for the wait. And a bottle of water, 'cause you maybe be waiting.
I just want to comment on this; it should be in the con book and probably somewhere on the site as well: we won't be letting attendees form lines more than, IIRC, 30 minutes (again this figure should be documented somewhere, so please check the number for yourself.  If you can't find it, ask a Yojimbo staff member at the con) before any event.  Basically, the hotel is a network of rather narrow hallways, particularly around the Grand Ballroom.  If those hallways are jammed up with lines for hours on end, we wind up with other things completely blocked off, including the pathways we need to use in order to move equipment and get events set up and opening on time.

So, in other words, yes, showing up early is a good idea, but PLEASE don't show up too early.  If everyone shows up five minutes early; everyone waits for five minutes.  If everyone shows up 15 minutes early, everyone waits for 15 minutes.

Offline flash15

• Cabbit
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2009, 05:04:21 pm »
I just found this, and this has to be some of the greatest advice I could have read involving anime conventions in general. It's the Ten Plagues of Anime Conventions and explains the downsides to con's and what you can do to either get around it or beware of certain things:

http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/articles/thecat/8531-10panime

This was brilliant!  I was laughing so hard reading some of them.  Sad to think that they really are all true...

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2009, 05:05:52 pm »
I know what you mean, but their up there so that people are aware and can be prepared in advance so that their first con won't be bad.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2009, 09:50:49 pm »
I just want to comment on this; it should be in the con book and probably somewhere on the site as well: we won't be letting attendees form lines more than, IIRC, 30 minutes (again this figure should be documented somewhere, so please check the number for yourself.  If you can't find it, ask a Yojimbo staff member at the con) before any event.  Basically, the hotel is a network of rather narrow hallways, particularly around the Grand Ballroom.  If those hallways are jammed up with lines for hours on end, we wind up with other things completely blocked off, including the pathways we need to use in order to move equipment and get events set up and opening on time.

So, in other words, yes, showing up early is a good idea, but PLEASE don't show up too early.  If everyone shows up five minutes early; everyone waits for five minutes.  If everyone shows up 15 minutes early, everyone waits for 15 minutes.

You are indeed correct: I -explicitly- remember hearing at the last meeting the following fact.

1) Lines in hallways will only be allowed beginning 30 min prior to the official start time of entry to the room for an event. (That is, 30 min before the doors open.  Doors open at the seating time if one is listed, or at the event block's start otherwise.)
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline CharlotteElbourne

• Chibi
    • Charlotte's Cosplay.com Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2009, 11:45:36 pm »
Staying hydrated is important, but be careful! Drinking water makes you have to pee, so make sure you can get in and out of your costume easily D: Also be wary of bathroom floors... they may LOOK clean and not wet, but you have to check and make sure! Don't want to get a costume dirty from toilet water @_@

Heels aren't a problem with me... I've been wearing heels all year. I guess you could call it training for conventions xD They can get pretty comfortable if you have gel insoles as well.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2009, 10:20:53 am »
Hello everyone, Animeman73 here.  I have a blog over at Wordpress.com. There I'm known as Scififantasyanimeman, and I have a post on how to stay safe at a convention. If any of you attendees, Youjimbo (Hope I spelled that right), or staff members want to go over, have a look, comment, and/or copy it go right ahead I think you'll find the information very insightful.  :). Take care all and stay safe.

Here's the Permalink to get there:

http://scififantasyanimeman.wordpress.com/2009/08/15/how-to-stay-safe-at-a-convention/

ENJOY  :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:37:22 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2009, 01:48:08 pm »
Swine flu friendly reminder:

WASH YOUR HANDS!!
COVER YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU COUGH!
If you are sick / have symptoms of the flu - STAY HOME - we don't want Kumoricon to be a vector for swine flu.

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2009, 09:12:44 pm »
Just a few survivor tips. Some of which I picked up at Kumoricon 09
Most of this is probably common knowledge but I'll post it anyways.

CHECK YOUR STUFF
-Before/as you leave (your room, a panel, an event, the bathroom, wherever) Do a pocket check to make sure you have everything. For me this would be quickly patting down my pockets and shirt to check for my wallet, cell phone and Con-Badge. You might look like an idiot feeling yourself up, but your less likely to forget stuff.   Same thing with a backpack or purse. Double check that you have it, if you took something out, double check the contents of your bag to make sure you have everything.

EAT WHEN YOU CAN!
-Its better to eat when your slightly hungry and you have nothing going on then to wait till your starved and crazy busy or locked into something. same goes for going to the bathroom.

SCOUT THE AREA!
-Either on pre-reg day or any other day/time you absolutely have nothing going on, familurize yourself with the surroundings. This is so you don't get lost when youre in a hurry to get somewhere.

SHOW UP EARLY!
-If something sounds kool, there are probably a lot of other people thinking the same thing. Showing up early gets you better seats and better chances of getting in. Your schedule permiting I would suggest heading down/showing up at the very least 10 to 15 mins early, depending on the event/panel maybe even sooner. Use your judgement.

Like I said most of its common knowledge, probably even printed in the con booklet somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 03:14:02 am by KogaRyu »
Team Koga

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2009, 09:47:31 pm »
Just a few survivor tips. Some of which I picked up at Kumoricon 09
Most of this is probably common knowledge but I'll post it anyways.
SHOW UP EARLY!
-If something sounds kool, there are probably a lot of other people thinking the same thing. Showing up early gets you better seats and better chances of getting in. Your schedule permiting I would suggest heading down/showing up at the very least 10 to 15 mins early, depending on the event/panel maybe even sooner. Use your judgement.

Like I said most of its common knowledge most of its probably even printed in the con booklet somewhere.

Showing up early is a good idea.  Plan on spending 30 min if you have to go across the convention or use the elevators.  This year lines were allowed to start 30 min before an event's officially listed starting time (or seating time if it had such a thing).  If you must get in, be there when you're first allowed to line up.

The 30 min rule will -probably- be in effect next year as well, given it's the same hotel; BUT this may be related to fire code and other considerations, so that isn't anywhere near official yet (we've not even had elections, let alone the next 11 months).
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2009, 12:48:45 am »
Sleep is your friend... and its best in bed.
If you were gay, that'd be okay.

I'm mean cause hey, I'd like you anyways.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2009, 03:50:47 am »
I had to do it in a chair after working for 16 hours a day.  Hotel not giving us 2 beds like we are suppose to get, wtf....  Sadly this has happened before and will happen again when a convention is going on >.<