Author Topic: How fast can you work?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
How fast can you work?
« on: August 03, 2009, 06:38:01 pm »
Really Im just rather curios how long it takes most people to make a costume.

Really for me it takes a week at least, then months of me procrastinating then another week or two to get the final details right, i mean I'm still not done with Peach (theres a few things I want to fix so desperatly, like be able to remove the god damed safety pins. )

on average for sewing- 3 or 2 days of strait working to get it all done and done nicley

wig - a day or so, depends on wig I supose

props- dont have enough experience yet but i start work on my Black Rose Armor tomorrow.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
Re: How fast can you work?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 06:39:49 pm »
I once saw someone do a kairi who was able to make her entire outfit (including the keyblade with the leaves and vines and flowers on it) and she did it in about 2 - 3 days.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:43:31 pm »
that is incredibly fast.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 06:56:21 pm »
one day. well if i have all the materials yup. i plan on doing my ryofu jacket though later, same with my mew too. just want to do it a week and a half before con. losing weight lol ^___^

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 08:13:16 pm »
If I have all the supplies, and my machine doesn't break, I probably could finish a basic outfit in a weekend. So long as I don't procrastinate, that is... ._. 
A prop, depending on if I use paint, glue, bondo, etc, could take a day working all at once, or a week with a few hours a day :I

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:32:54 pm »
I'm a busy person, so mine have taken about a month each. No matter the simplicity.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:33:37 pm by The_Geek »
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 10:02:43 pm »
I really don't have the time to sit and work on stuff just straight on. But adding my time up.
A simpler sewing costume will take me about 3 days of average work to complete from the drafting stages to final touches.
Harder sewing projects can take me a week to a month (I'm kind of slow).
Props usually take me about a month to do as well, but most of that time is spent drying either glue or gesso.
I haven't worked with wigs much, but the minimal work I do only takes about an hour.
Accessories like armor take me about a week as well, but again, a lot of that time is just drying things.

I may be a little slow at my costumes, but I think my time proves to put out a great project.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 10:25:08 pm »
I'm about to find out, actually. We just bought fabric for a Loveless Cosplay about two and a half hours ago, and already we almost have a jacket sewn together. All we need is another jacket and viola! 83
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 12:10:51 am »
Well....it depends on the costume. For this one I'm making, it's taking me weeks... I only spend a few hours on it every week though. I'm about halfway done with the main garment, but still need to make the accessories too. I think if I actually incorporate much more effort, I could have been done in a week, that is 7 days, full-time cosplay making. Then, again, it's my first real sewing machine experience, so I've been doing A LOT of trial and error...  :-\

I don't think I can ever do more than one cosplay at a time... (I like making...not buying costumes...) ^_^
And so it begins...

Offline Arrow

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 12:18:29 am »
Oh geez...
I am a horrible procrastinator, so it can take months to finish a cosplay -- or other sewing project, like plushies -- from the time I buy all my materials to completion. Of course, if I just ignore all the days/weeks where I do nothing... I'd say about a week to completely finish? Haha... I really wish I had the dedication to just sit down and do it all at once, but I get distracted quite easily. ^^;
two thousand sixteen plans
??? | 0% | ???

choices are hard

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 09:41:15 am »
I sew like a calafornia driver :)

as long as i have all the materials i need for a costume i can blitz thru it in about 2 sitting of 3 hours each, some times less, or more depending on details, but that sounds about right for somthing big like my pakun , it helps if i have a dead line or somthing to help motivate me, this makes week before con crazey,

tho somthings it seems to take less if i want to make a deal with myself, like with toms dress i really wanted to try to make jam, so i made a deal sew it and then i could make jam, 2 hours later jam time, when vallie came over later that day to watch true blood i was like "i have toms dress done...and JAM!!!"

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 09:58:05 am »
I dont have a sewing machine so it takes me longer. So I have to go to other peoples houses and make some things by hand. and it also depends on the costume
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 02:10:39 pm »
Since I have a penchant for doing costumes that are either comprised of umpteen million pieces, complicated, or I'm basically making the patterns up for (or some combination of those three), I don't usually get things done insanely fast.  In terms of work time, I think my fastest to date would have been either Okita (total work time could've fit inside of a weekend, though it was spaced out -- like others have said, I can't usually spend a whole day sewing or propmaking because of other obligations) or my sleepytime Unohana.  There's a lot of deceptively simple stuff out there: Miranda's dress didn't take too long to construct the basic shape of, but the inset white took far longer than I expected, and the corset and petticoat for the period silhouette had to be done as well.

Guess that's a tl;dr way of saying that while I can breeze through an easier cosplay in a weekend, most of what I do is just crazy enough to take me probably at minimum a solid week's worth of crafting time.  (And then there's the truly insane ones: I've already spent several hours just doing the handsewing on my Trinity Blood costume, and that's for the bias tape on the veil alone.)

Offline lucrezia03

• Cabbit
    • http://home.graffiti.net/nimue1540:graffiti.net/
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 11:17:17 am »
I usually try to give myself about 2-3 months for a costume. I like to make really big, competative costumes and they typically cost me a few hundred dollars in materials so I like to give myself enough time to buy stuff so I'm not broke! (Hopefully!) Also I'm a terrible procrastinator and I have a job and other stuff going on as well. The last costume I made was Ashlotte from Soul Calibur IV and I made it in about a month and a half which was insane! Way too stressful for me and everyone around me. (Not to mention we were sawing steel cables in our hotel room the night before the competition...) A small costume without props usually takes a week or two.

I am always amazed by the people who can do things really fast! :o