Author Topic: The Lolita Thread  (Read 203574 times)

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
The Lolita Thread
« on: June 15, 2009, 05:32:57 pm »
Please tell me if this is in the incorrect area!

Anime conventions have are notorious within the lolita community for having some really, really bad outfits. A lot of time, the lolita fashion itself is known for being considered "cosplay" because it is worn poorly at anime conventions, which it really is its own style of everyday clothing.

My goal is to help you guys with your lolita outfits to bring out their full potential and keep them from looking like a cosplay, and to keep you from being ridiculed online. I'm not an expert, and I doubt that anyone truly is, but I've been a part of the lolita community online for over a year now, and I've seen a ton of outfits. Some good, and some not so good.

First of all is a quick history of lolita fashion.
Because it is considered an alternative fashion, the roots of lolita are somewhat unclear. It gained momentum during the 80's and 90's, but specialty lolita shops are said to have been around as far back as the 70's. Throughout the years, the fashion has changed and grown, and it is still evolving today.

There are many different styles of lolita.
Gothic: the most well known, by far. In fact, most lolita is referred to as "gothic lolita" even when there are no gothic elements present. The colors used in gothic lolita are usually black, or sometimes white, but black and white lolita is mostly considered sweet lolita now. Navy blue is also popular.
Sweet: this could be considered the most popular style right now. A lot of overseas sweet lolita brands started shipping internationally, leading to a surge in the popularity. The colors are traditionally pink and white, but almost any color can work. Pastels are common, along with motifs involving candy or pastries or animals.
Classic: another style also becoming more popular. This is the most "laid-back" style, because it is generally less over-the-top than the other styles. Colors and cuts are generally more mature and subdued, with creams, burgundys, and browns. The skirts are usually less cupcake-like than sweet or gothic, more like an A-like shape.
There are other sub-sections of lolita, but these are the main ones. You can find more information in the links below.

There are a lot of misconceptions about lolita. For example, the idea that you have to act polite and sweet while wearing lolita. This is very much untrue! What you wear does not dictate how you act, which is something a lot of lolitas like to remind people. There are a variety of other misconceptions, which I'll add on as I think of them.

So now, here are some links to places with more information about lolita:
lolitafashion.org
Lolita Handbook
EGL Community

I can almost guarantee that one of the first questions will be "where can I buy cheap lolita clothing?" So here are some more links:
Bodyline (please use caution when buying from them; not all of their products are lolita)
EGL Community Sales
Anna House (prices are in Hong Kong Dollars, not USD)
Again, I'll add more links as I find them.

You should never, EVER buy lolita from these places:
Hot Topic
Ebay (unless you're buying shoes, and be careful)
Rakuen
Etsy (some accessories are okay)
Cosplay shops
Goth shops
Milanoo

I'll hopefully be adding more onto this post, but feel free to ask questions about your lolita outfits and I'll give you my input! ; D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:27:01 pm by fleur_fraise »
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
Re: The Lolita Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 05:37:25 pm »
i'm going as a lolita but because i love that style and its my interest and i go all out. i feel sad that peoplethink they are lolita but arent. its hurts me but hopefully this year it wont be bad but yup. I HOPE TO SEE LOLITAS cuz they rock.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 05:40:18 pm »
I'd love to see a picture of your outfit! :D I'll post pictures of mine when I can find them.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 05:52:19 pm »
Curiously, why is it you don't want to buy from those websites?
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 06:00:39 pm »
Curiously, why is it you don't want to buy from those websites?
In general, poor quality and prices.
Hot Topic mostly has slutty pieces that are marked "lolita," with cheap lace and fabric and skirts that are WAY too short for anyone, lolita or not. Ebay shops are known for stealing Japanese brand pictures and sending you a crappy replica that is falling apart, Rakuen is just a bad store in general. Etsy CAN have nice things, but you really have to be careful, and cosplay/goth shops rarely known what they're talking about when they label things "lolita."
There are always exceptions though, and some of those stores can have nice accessories or shoes or things.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 06:05:00 pm »
I got something from Rakuen once so I was curious.  thanks for answering.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 06:12:03 pm »
I got something from Rakuen once so I was curious.  thanks for answering.
Rakuen is far from the worst on the list, but it's not a good place to direct newbies. Plus you could probably order a cuter outfit for less at a different store.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 06:22:26 pm »
ahh.  it was for princess princess cosplay group that I joined on the spur of the moment.  at this point though, I'm trying to sell the dress away.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 06:24:18 pm »
I'd suggest selling it on the egl community sales. Do you have a livejournal account?
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 07:10:32 pm »
I should already have a buyer, it just getting meeting arranged to conduct the transaction.  if it doesn't work out, that try that suggestion.  I don't have a livejournal account however.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 07:52:48 pm »
Some of those 'bad' stores have some pretty decent accessories, though~ And I think I've seen a few good things on Etsy; one of our vendors (customcosplay?) actually makes some really nice lolita stuff and sells some of it on there.
But yeah, for a newbie it isn't that great since if you typed in 'Lolita' in the search bar, you'd probably get some weird stuff...

Do you have any cool lolita outfits you could show off to us? c: I only have one that isn't all that great... But I'm working on expanding my wardrobe over the summer, and once I get enough money.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 08:47:19 pm »
Some of those 'bad' stores have some pretty decent accessories, though~ And I think I've seen a few good things on Etsy; one of our vendors (customcosplay?) actually makes some really nice lolita stuff and sells some of it on there.
But yeah, for a newbie it isn't that great since if you typed in 'Lolita' in the search bar, you'd probably get some weird stuff...

Do you have any cool lolita outfits you could show off to us? c: I only have one that isn't all that great... But I'm working on expanding my wardrobe over the summer, and once I get enough money.
I could've sworn I put a "these shops can have good accessories" sentence, but I guess I didn't D: I should do that.
Customcosplay's stuff is amazing, seriously. I have a ring from her, and I love it.

Most of my pictures are somewhere on lj or lost on my computer, so I'll model some of my outfits when I have time. It's finals week D; I got a nice petticoat recently, so a lot of my pictures have the old crappy one in it. Here's a picture from the last meetup I went to:
I'm the one with the red purse.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 10:05:30 pm »
Ah, you said that in one of your posts but I missed it, sorry xD

Nice bonnet o3o I think I've seen you before... Somewhere... I lurk egl and d_l  a lot, so maybe there? The girl in the white dress also looks eerily familiar. She on the forums here?
Good luck with finals, btw :P

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 07:53:38 am »

I could've sworn I put a "these shops can have good accessories" sentence, but I guess I didn't D: I should do that.
Customcosplay's stuff is amazing, seriously. I have a ring from her, and I love it.

Most of my pictures are somewhere on lj or lost on my computer, so I'll model some of my outfits when I have time. It's finals week D; I got a nice petticoat recently, so a lot of my pictures have the old crappy one in it. Here's a picture from the last meetup I went to:
I'm the one with the red purse.
thats a cute dress. i cant post any new pics since i dont have any of my lolita outfits yet(all with my aunt) but i'm getting one soon then i'll post a pic and i have to sew more lace on it since its  mainly frilly >.<

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 09:35:16 am »
Ah, you said that in one of your posts but I missed it, sorry xD

Nice bonnet o3o I think I've seen you before... Somewhere... I lurk egl and d_l  a lot, so maybe there? The girl in the white dress also looks eerily familiar. She on the forums here?
Good luck with finals, btw :P
I need to put that in the main post DX
Oh yeah, I use egl. I rarely post, but I've posted a few pictures before, and I've been to meetups. Yeah the girl in white/blue is on the forums here. That picture is from the last meetup picnic.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 03:21:17 pm »
My Lolita dress is really a cosplay, because the character is From Rozen Maiden.
Am dressing up as Suigintou.
Here dress is Gothic Lolita. (even though it has white) but ya.
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 03:50:16 pm »
Oh yeah, Rozen Maiden is considered a lolita manga. That's actually why I started reading it.
However, the characters don't actually wear lolita. For the most part, their clothes are more inspired by lolita, or, rather, inspired by the same things that inspired lolita.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 04:29:48 pm »
I'd probably say inspired by similar things ^-^; Or in this case, since Rozen Maiden is based on dolls, I'd say by outfits porcelain dolls wear o~o
The outfits in Rozen maiden are a little... I dunno, exaggerated? To be considered everyday fashion like lolita.

And yes, gothic lolita can even have white elements in it, or can be mainly white. I can't find any good examples at the moment but... yeah xD;;

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 06:13:17 pm »
Rozen Maiden is definitely inspired by dolls. Victorian ones, I'd say. And Victorian dolls (along with Rococo/Marie Antoinette fashion) was one of the big inspirations of lolita.

lolitafashion.org has a bunch of bxw gothic lolita examples. Here are a couple:
http://lolitafashion.org/images/gothic7.jpg
http://lolitafashion.org/images/gothic11.jpg
It's funny to look back in old lolita magazines, because a lot of what was considered "gothic" then is now considered sweet. Blackxwhite is usually considered sweet, but it depends on the prints/motifs/cuts of the outfit.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 06:29:54 pm »
ok so i'm making an ero lolita dress cuz right now i'm into designing it and i'd rather make it then order, so what colors...
red/black
blue/black
red/gold
blue/god
red
white/black
red/black
blue/white
which colors?

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 06:36:29 pm »
What inspiration are you using for ero? I've only seen it done well a few times, and they were professional photoshoots D:
Blue/black, definitely. That is a great color scheme for ero-loli. Red/black could work too.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 06:40:59 pm »
lol i seen some good examples and a friend thats a photographer in training and this is going toward a portfolio for college. lol i think i'll do a good job when i get the main sketch down i'll post it ya?

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 06:42:23 pm »
That sounds awesome! I love old-fashioned lady's underthings, like corsets and bloomers, so ero-loli is so fun to look at. If I were in better shape, I'd wear it.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 06:50:41 pm »
Haha, one of the pictures you linked got mad at me :'D Ffff no hotlinking there.

@DooFeR- I don't look at many Ero-loli outfits, but whitexblue looks something not too common. o_o or Whitexanything really.
Of course, I'm probably wrong :'D I usually only see outfits with black...

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 06:55:50 pm »
They're working fine for me D: They're on lolitafashion.org if you really want to see them.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Hidamari

• Catgirl
    • Reddsause- fandubs, parodies, and then some!
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 07:16:23 pm »
Really informative first post!
Sakuracon~

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 07:27:18 pm »
hmm i just love the ero style is sooo provactive yet conservative. yup i'm probably gonna post my sketch this week once i get my scanner. but ya its gonnabe either red/black or blue/black. ya  i think i can pull this off just need to save money and wokr out some more. but ya. do any of you guys have any lolitas. i got a loli like corsage for prom too it was cute! oh and mana does blue/white, candy lolita has alot of pink/white, and theres alot of black/white lolita outfits.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 07:31:14 pm »
I meant that I'd never seen white used too much in an Ero outfit. Of course there are ton of other styles incorporating white. o_o

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 07:32:50 pm »
Mana wears a lot of things that lolitas shouldn't wear. XD Super-short skirts, whiteface makeup, etc. He's pretty much the guy who made lolita popular in the 80's and 90's, and he does have his own brand, but he just wears Mana clothing instead of lolita.

Black and white has gotten less popular recently, mostly because a lot of people associate it with bad, tacky lolita with cheap materials. So have the "traditional" headdresses, the rectangular ones that sit on the head, and so have socks with insane amounts of lace at the tops.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 08:30:18 pm »
well ya i think i'll do a good job on this i'm working it out right now. so far soo good i'm going with red and black right now. i think mana made lolita cool but over dramatic. he started a new style, "drama lolita" (over dramatic) lol.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 08:39:48 pm »
He started "elegant gothic lolita" or egl.
And thus marketed it to weeaboos and Hot Topic.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 09:38:10 pm »
ok so heres a cleaned up version of my rough sketch. coloring is bad and detailing isn't that good(cant really draw lace lol) but ya.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:32:40 pm by DooFeRthePanda »

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 02:14:57 pm »
OMG!! its so AWSOME!!

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 03:00:57 pm »
OMG!! its so AWSOME!!
lol thanx i plan on finishing it b4 haloween cuz were gonna have a fancy teaparty and i plan on having this b4 then. sorry it looks crappy. lol

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2009, 03:58:11 pm »
It's nice, but I think it still has to be a little longer to keep with the lolita look. I'm also not crazy about the gloves or necklace, they look really cosplay-ish.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 04:33:50 pm »
lol its just a rough sketch i'm still working on it. for some reason i know how i want it but cant keep it right. but ya i dont know about the color yet. hmm but ya its just ar ough sketch.

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2009, 04:45:25 pm »
I think it looks just fine.

(people on here r just buzz kills)
If that was my dress I would were it all the time.
Its got good color to. I really love it.
(GIVE IT TO ME) lol.
if you dont like the red, what about dark Purple?

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2009, 05:46:29 pm »
hmm i'm gonna draw it a bit better tho maybe less ribbons well cuz i need it to match some jewelry and more lace and stuff.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2009, 07:05:40 pm »

When you post something online for everyone to see, people are allowed to submit feedback. This is exactly why I created a lolita thread- so that people can put up their ideas and help keep their designs within the guidelines without bothering the entire egl community.

After looking at the picture again, I think that it would look really nice if, instead of being red with black accents, the dress was black with red accents. Straps would also be a nice addition, like maybe a halter-top?
You can never go wrong with all-black, of course, and I think that would look very elegant if you can't decide on colors.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2009, 07:09:28 pm »
lol i think i will change it back to black because my first design was black and red but i ddnt like the design. so i'll post up the new design later with more detail ok? and ya sorry if it looks bland lol its just so hard to detail it to where it looks like the frabric. but ya. thanx for the feed back tho, and your not a buzz kill ^___^

edit: ummm i'm gonna take the ribbon the off the neck cuz i put the ribbon my neck, it makes it look chunky and it makes it look  alot shorterthan it really is.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 07:11:37 pm by DooFeRthePanda »

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2009, 01:47:48 pm »
I wasnt saying you are a buzz kill, but there really is a some one, on here who shoots me down a lot.

When you post something online for everyone to see, people are allowed to submit feedback. This is exactly why I created a lolita thread- so that people can put up their ideas and help keep their designs within the guidelines without bothering the entire egl community.

After looking at the picture again, I think that it would look really nice if, instead of being red with black accents, the dress was black with red accents. Straps would also be a nice addition, like maybe a halter-top?
You can never go wrong with all-black, of course, and I think that would look very elegant if you can't decide on colors.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2009, 04:50:53 pm »
I don't think it needs too much more detail, just different ones. Simple lace and some ruffles would work wonderfully.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2009, 10:04:57 pm »
lol i redesigned this one and its way better so ya. i might post it up soon so ya.

Offline bluewolf130

• Sailor Scout
    • Myspace
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2009, 12:26:01 am »
ok so i'm making an ero lolita dress cuz right now i'm into designing it and i'd rather make it then order, so what colors...
red/black
blue/black
red/gold
blue/god
red
white/black
red/black
blue/white
which colors?

I think blue and white would look cool if it was a darker blue.
Kumoricon '10 cosplays:
Shizuma Hanazono from Strawberry Panic!
Takuto Kira from Full Moon wo Sagashite

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2009, 01:24:22 am »
So, I'm a young adult male with a long-term interest in Victorian fashion in general.  I started with the architecture, but the clothing, the theatre, and the music are all also really intriguing to me.  I've been vaguely aware of the Victorian-inspired Lolita fashions for about a year and a half, but I've never really felt that drawn to it until recently.  More recently, as I've been trying to interact with more members in this community and better understand the people I'm working to serve, a lot of people have been asking me what type of cosplay I wear.  The answer?  I wear suits that I throw together from clothes I buy at Goodwill.  I first did this at Sakuracon 2008 as a joke cosplay, and I realised that I felt very comfortable walking around the convention wearing really dressy clothes.  Since then I've brought a suit or two to every convention I've been to (4, I think, plus a couple mini cons).  The elegance of a suit really appeals to me, but not just a plain, modern, socially acceptable suit.  I love vintage suits.  In short, I love Victorian suits.  Coat-tails, frilly undershirts, SILK (oh god I love silk)...it's just so suitable for a fellow like myself.

So, back to why I'm here--I want to be more than just a guy in a suit.  I want to be THE guy in THE suit.  I want to captivate the elegance and class around which this great fashion was made.  I want to show the world what real style is, and I want to do it properly.  I was wondering if you ladies might be able to help me work towards those goals.  I am also seeking a counterpart to my suits to cavort around conventions with.  Without a doubt--the most attractive garment a man might possess will be found on the lady accompanying him.

Cheers,
-Tofu

P.S.
In case it isn't clear, I'm primarily interested in Classic Lolita.  Gothic Lolita has some appeal to me, but Classic is what I am truly drawn to.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 01:25:59 am by DancingTofu »
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2009, 11:37:37 am »
So I assume that you don't want to be wearing dresses. XD

There are two man "male" styles; aristocratic and kodana.
Kodana is sort of girly, with childish touches like cropped pants. This style looks kind of silly on some guys, but if you can pull it off, go for it. There's one boy on livejournal who wears kodana SO well, but his journal is friends only. This is the best picture I could find- also, he's wearing a fake scar on his face for a fashion show.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/nyannyanx/lolita/17all.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/nyannyanx/lolita/29smileyguro.jpg
The aristo link is for womens fashion, it looks like, but guys can dress that way too. You can even toss in steampunk elements if you wish. The girl who ran the Gothic Lolita Tea Party for kcon last year has a boyfriend who dresses in a casual aristocratic style:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/FizzTheCarbonated/KCon08/CIMG4739.jpg
I also found this great example from lolitafashion.org:
http://lolitafashion.org/images/aristrocrat8.jpg
To make these fashions more classic than gothic, you can simply change up the color scheme. Instead of black and white, try brown and cream. You can even go with dusty blues and roses.

For stores... It's kind of hard to find male aristocratic brands from Japan, but if you can find the right things at Goodwill and second-hand stores, go there. Hawthorne has cool vintage stores that could sell the right stuff.

I'm not quite sure where you would find a lady to go with you XD A lot of the lolitas in Portland are VERY sweet. Maybe you could ask around on the Oregon Lolita Community on livejournal?

Wow, I typed a lot D: Sorry for the novel.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2009, 11:47:43 am »
So I assume that you don't want to be wearing dresses. XD

There are two man "male" styles; aristocratic and kodana.
Kodana is sort of girly, with childish touches like cropped pants. This style looks kind of silly on some guys, but if you can pull it off, go for it. There's one boy on livejournal who wears kodana SO well, but his journal is friends only. This is the best picture I could find- also, he's wearing a fake scar on his face for a fashion show.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/nyannyanx/lolita/17all.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/nyannyanx/lolita/29smileyguro.jpg
The aristo link is for womens fashion, it looks like, but guys can dress that way too. You can even toss in steampunk elements if you wish. The girl who ran the Gothic Lolita Tea Party for kcon last year has a boyfriend who dresses in a casual aristocratic style:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/FizzTheCarbonated/KCon08/CIMG4739.jpg
I also found this great example from lolitafashion.org:
http://lolitafashion.org/images/aristrocrat8.jpg
To make these fashions more classic than gothic, you can simply change up the color scheme. Instead of black and white, try brown and cream. You can even go with dusty blues and roses.

For stores... It's kind of hard to find male aristocratic brands from Japan, but if you can find the right things at Goodwill and second-hand stores, go there. Hawthorne has cool vintage stores that could sell the right stuff.

I'm not quite sure where you would find a lady to go with you XD A lot of the lolitas in Portland are VERY sweet. Maybe you could ask around on the Oregon Lolita Community on livejournal?

Wow, I typed a lot D: Sorry for the novel.

I have always wanted to participate in Lolita fashion, I've loved it ever since.
But I can not afford a real lolita dress TAT as of yet. So until that day comes~~   :33
I didn't know LJ had a Oregon Lolita Community, that's really smart~!

And I agree with Cassi. With the past experiences I have, some of them do not appreciate if its not a brand name : [

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:23:01 pm by anime_gurl_123 »

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2009, 12:21:18 pm »
I find lolita fashion really cute and interesting, but I find a lot of lolitas really critical about each other's clothing, which has been an off-putting aspect for me. I also find it also all too expensive.  :'[
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2009, 01:57:14 pm »
Oh, brand is totally not a factor. I've been to several lolita meetups and have posted my pictures online, and I've only heard good things about my offbrand and handmade pieces. If you know basic sewing, and you have a good eye, it's easy to make and find your own lolita for fairly cheap.

As for the infamous bitchiness of lolitas, I've been apart of the communities that "start" drama, and a majority of these girls aren't any more catty than the normal non-lolita person. Plus, the way a small amount of the community acts shouldn't keep you from dressing how you like.

The point of this thread is to keep you from getting posted on the websites that make fun of bad lolitas.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 01:58:27 pm by fleur_fraise »
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2009, 03:20:05 pm »
I was actually mostly looking into Ouji (prince) styles.  Kodana doesn't really have any appeal to me; I don't look boyish and I haven't since I was 10.  Aristocrat also carries a significant degree of interest for me, partly because it can probably be more workable with my long hair and facial hair.  The facial hair's fairly inconsequential though, so I could easily remove it if I were to find a greater compulsion towards Ouji.

Are there any particular stores on Hawthorne that you would recommend?  It takes me 5 or 10 minutes to get there so it's pretty accessible to me.  I haven't noticed anything at Buffalo Exchange, and House of Vintage seems to have mostly womens' clothing.

Thanks.

P.S.
fleur, lolitafashion doesn't appear to allow direct linking to their images for bandwidth purposes.  Try saving them to your hard drive and uploading them to photobucket or imageshack. (after uploading, you can delete them from your hard drive)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:30:00 pm by DancingTofu »
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>