Author Topic: I think I messed up my computer..  (Read 923 times)

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
I think I messed up my computer..
« on: May 03, 2009, 02:43:40 pm »
OK..so I was trying to change the path of my downloads from C drive to D drive...I wasn't really sure what to do so I moved the 'Downloads' folder and 'Program Settings' folder to D drive (dragged and dropped) it ended up moving 1 gig to that drive...but then i went to 'Properties' and set my download location to D:/ Downloads...I'm not sure if it worked but I'm scared I messed up my computer because I don't really know how to do much with computers.

And im scared i was just looking in my folders and i went to one and my virus protection popped up and said it found a trojan in one of the folders!!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 03:02:33 pm by Kallika »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Re: I think I messed up my computer..
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:06:08 pm »
"Program Settings" folder?  Not something I'm familiar with.  Maybe it's a Vista thing?  Anyway, just do a virus scan of your computer.  Open the antivirus program you have installed (never accept pop-up "anti"-virus stuff; it's almost all adware or spyware.), scan.  I it finds something, delete it.  If not, just delete your cookies and cache (hint: ctrl+shift+del in Firefox) and that should clear out the false warning if that's what it is.  If you download a lot of torrents and such, you'll encounter those pretty frequently.  Just never trust a pop-up window and you'll probably be fine.

As for moving the folders and download destination, I don't see any reason to move the Program Settings folder, whatever it is.  Moving the downloads folder won't do anything bad, except that a few programs might not know where to find some of the downloaded files you had before moving the folder, particularly Bittorrent and such, so you'll have to redirect them to the new location.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
Re: I think I messed up my computer..
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:22:00 am »
Well i found out that the thing i did won't hurt my computer..it is just a more complicated version then what i should have done and the "Program Settings" thing is one of the things you change to change the direction of your downloads...i think.