Author Topic: Today is APAH - Asian Pacific American Heritage Month  (Read 7892 times)

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
Today is APAH - Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:26:58 pm »
Today marks the first day of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month; as always, it kind of came in under the radar. Google didn't change its front page like it did for Black History Month, there was hardly anything in the news (even in the Asian media), and I highly doubt that kids in school are studying Asian history or making special crafts to celebrate the occasion.

May was chosen commemorate the immigrations of the first Japanese into America as well as mark the anniversary of the transcontinental railroad buily by Chinese labor. People seem to forget that even after slavery was abolished in this country, Chinese were being traded like cattle and worked to their deaths.

Someday, I hope that we Asians will be more than just a box to check under a list of ethnicities, that we will be represented in the entertainment industry beyond the stereotype of the action hero or nerd in school, and recognized as a serious voice to the government. Asians make up 15 million Americans and are the second fastest growing group in the country but when was the last time you heard how government decisions on immigration, health care, welfare, taxes, or education impact the Asian population of this country? We helped build this country yet seem to not be included in shaping its future.

So, for the month of May, lets think about how to celebrate our Asian culture and honor those who came ahead of us. We are more than just a bunch of slant-eyed immigrants who all look the same. We are Asians and we are Americans. And in a global scale, there's more of us than anyone else so we can crush you all.

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
Re: Today is APAH - Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:27:55 pm »
Someday, I hope that we Asians will be more than just a box to check under a list of ethnicities, that we will be represented in the entertainment industry beyond the stereotype of the action hero or nerd in school, and recognized as a serious voice to the government.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNmzegQUtFA

I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:56:03 pm »
Wow, great song haha. So sad, but true.

Did you know the two most recognizable Asian male actors on TV are Daniel Dae Kim and Mazi Oka (stars on Lost and Heroes, respectively. They are on prime time TV yet whats sad is that neither of the characters that they actor play can speak English. Asians are still being depicted as foreign, exotic, not as people who are also Americans.

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 09:09:59 pm »
Wow, I'm Asian myself and I haven't heard of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month.
We're the second largest racial minority group in the US, but I still don't think we're really fully accepted here yet.

Back in March, I was doing much spamming and advertising for Utada's second official US album,
but sadly I wasn't getting the response I wanted from my white/other heritage friends.
She made an appearance on CBS's Second Cup cafe, which is more screentime than other Asians debuting from overseas
(BoA, Dir en Grey, etc) have had so far.

Here's her CBS appearance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXFMrJragGI

The weird thing is, Utada was born in New York and is pretty much a native English speaker,
but I'm not sure if the American public is ready to accept her with open arms yet :(

Just because she's Asian.

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 09:56:16 pm »

The weird thing is, Utada was born in New York and is pretty much a native English speaker,
but I'm not sure if the American public is ready to accept her with open arms yet :(

Just because she's Asian.

There aren't many Asians in mainstream Entertainment at all, and even fewer in the music world.

Hopefully, through exchanges such as these and events like Kumoricon, we can create a stronger representation of what is a huge part of not only the U.S, but the world.

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 04:02:02 pm »
We are Asians and we are Americans. And in a global scale, there's more of us than anyone else so we can crush you all.

Yup, I am American, and I am Asian! Such truth to those words, yet amusing when you say we have crushing forces. lol. We @ OSU have few things for APAH, but not as much as there should be!
And so it begins...

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 07:01:08 pm »
Yup, I am American, and I am Asian! Such truth to those words, yet amusing when you say we have crushing forces. lol. We @ OSU have few things for APAH, but not as much as there should be!

There's power in numbers, lets form an army and takeover the world.

Seriously though, the Asian community has been quiet for so long. I think bringing awareness to some of the issues that affect us as citizens will only help make the world a better place for everyone

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 05:48:48 pm »
I have this working theory that China is trying to take over the world, but they aren't going to use bombs, guns, or the like (because that's too easy to track... e.g. Iran), but they're breeding an army and when they're ready, they're going to cross the Pacific with a human land bridge to take over North America as well as cross the Himalayas (on yaks!) to take over Russia, the Middle East, and so on. Then they'll reinstate the emperor and enslave any non-Chinese and rule with an iron fist! :P *ahem* Well, it's just a theory...

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 05:56:12 pm »
I have this working theory that China is trying to take over the world, but they aren't going to use bombs, guns, or the like (because that's too easy to track... e.g. Iran), but they're breeding an army and when they're ready, they're going to cross the Pacific with a human land bridge to take over North America as well as cross the Himalayas (on yaks!) to take over Russia, the Middle East, and so on. Then they'll reinstate the emperor and enslave any non-Chinese and rule with an iron fist! :P *ahem* Well, it's just a theory...

There's some evidence in that (like China's over population problem...but then again, they try and limit the number of kids parents can have).

If it ever did happen, I wonder what would happen to me since I am of Chinese descent but was born in America. Hmm...

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 11:19:12 pm »

LOL, you have quite some time on your hands to be coming up with such a theory. :)

Like Simon mentioned...

If it ever did happen, I wonder what would happen to me since I am of Chinese descent but was born in America. Hmm...

So, since I am 100% Chinese + aka ABC  ::) (American born Chinese), what would that theory hold for moi? Stimulate some brain cells and theorize some more! :D

And so it begins...

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 02:27:20 pm »

LOL, you have quite some time on your hands to be coming up with such a theory. :)

Like Simon mentioned...

So, since I am 100% Chinese + aka ABC  ::) (American born Chinese), what would that theory hold for moi? Stimulate some brain cells and theorize some more! :D

First, to grow their ranks, China's going to start like a "Chinese return to China" campaign to bring back all the people that have immigrated away including their decedents and then they'll all train everyone in badass kung-fu! Part Chinese people would also count (because they need as many warm bodies as they need for this invasion!) So I think we'd be safe (I'm also ABC ^_^).

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 04:33:55 pm »

First, to grow their ranks, China's going to start like a "Chinese return to China" campaign to bring back all the people that have immigrated away including their decedents and then they'll all train everyone in badass kung-fu! Part Chinese people would also count (because they need as many warm bodies as they need for this invasion!) So I think we'd be safe (I'm also ABC ^_^).

You are just so funny! I think we are so off topic now, well, kind of. :P *ahem* coffee prince.  Well, I APPRECIATE MAH FELLOW ASIANS! LOVE AND PEACE TO YOU ALL!

Now, I gotta get back to work.... lol.
And so it begins...

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 10:25:17 pm »
I wonder if Pendleton, Oregon is doing anything about APAH. They do celebrate the heritage that the Chinese left them. Also there is Kam Wah Chung park somewhere over in the area, to honor the good doctor, who saved many lives, that weren't only Asian.

Does this mean then that no one will call anyone else a haolefied banana? I hope so.

Are you sure you mean the Chinese are going to do what you think, and not the Mexicans? Seems that the Mexicans and the Muslims are doing their darndest to do just that. Look at the demographic shift of Europe.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 11:38:15 pm »

You are just so funny! I think we are so off topic now, well, kind of. :P *ahem* coffee prince.  Well, I APPRECIATE MAH FELLOW ASIANS! LOVE AND PEACE TO YOU ALL!

Now, I gotta get back to work.... lol.

Lol- you recognized my avatar ^_^. And I don't think we're *too* off-topic. It's semi-related to Asian culture... sort of :P.

Well, I said this on the Sakura Con forums and I hate repeating myself but to get this train back on track, I'd like to see more Asians in advertisement. I know when I go to the cosmetics aisle, I see lots of ads with African Americans, Caucasians, and Latinas but I don't see many with Asians. Plus makeup artists always talk about how to highlight the eyes with eyeshadow- don't they understand that Asians don't have eyelids to highlight?

Are you sure you mean the Chinese are going to do what you think, and not the Mexicans? Seems that the Mexicans and the Muslims are doing their darndest to do just that. Look at the demographic shift of Europe.

Last year in a class I took we did an  exercise about world population and Africa had the highest population growth so maybe Africa's going to take over the world. But maybe then we'll all interbreed and become varying shades of brown and tan instead of black and white ^_^.

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 07:47:08 am »
Last year in a class I took we did an  exercise about world population and Africa had the highest population growth so maybe Africa's going to take over the world. But maybe then we'll all interbreed and become varying shades of brown and tan instead of black and white ^_^.

Did you know that the fastest growing ethnic group in America is the Asian population? It's true, we're taking over. We might only be at 5% of the population now, but in a few years, they expect that to be doubled.

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 10:44:41 pm »
If I reproduce within those few years, I shall contribute to the Asian population...LOL. Nahhh.... no plans there! Really? Is the Asian-American group growing fast? What source was ur info from? I'm curious!
And so it begins...

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 11:12:21 pm »

Did you know that the fastest growing ethnic group in America is the Asian population? It's true, we're taking over. We might only be at 5% of the population now, but in a few years, they expect that to be doubled.

Really? That's cool. I have noticed more people going to the Asian church I go to.

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 08:42:21 am »
If I reproduce within those few years, I shall contribute to the Asian population...LOL. Nahhh.... no plans there! Really? Is the Asian-American group growing fast? What source was ur info from? I'm curious!

According to the World Journal:

he Census Bureau released its most recent survey Tuesday, which shows that the Asian American population is the fastest growing of all ethnic groups. The World Journal reports that as of 2007, there were 15.2 million Asians in the United States. Percentage growth of the Asian population between 2006 and 2007, the highest of any race group during that time period. Asian Americans were also the most educated, according to the report. Among Asians over 25 years old, 50 percent have a Bachelor’s degree, compared with only 28 percent of the total U.S. population. About 20 percent of Asian Americans hold Master’s degrees, which is twice of the national average. Among all Asian Americans, Indians have the highest education and income level. Nearly 70 percent of Indians in the United States have Bachelor’s degrees and the average annual income of Indian families is $83,820.

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 10:05:31 pm »
Oh, wow! That IS really interesting. Kids, stay in school... You'll get your money's worth in the long-run.  ;D
And so it begins...

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 12:03:36 pm »

According to the World Journal:

he Census Bureau released its most recent survey Tuesday, which shows that the Asian American population is the fastest growing of all ethnic groups. The World Journal reports that as of 2007, there were 15.2 million Asians in the United States. Percentage growth of the Asian population between 2006 and 2007, the highest of any race group during that time period. Asian Americans were also the most educated, according to the report. Among Asians over 25 years old, 50 percent have a Bachelor’s degree, compared with only 28 percent of the total U.S. population. About 20 percent of Asian Americans hold Master’s degrees, which is twice of the national average. Among all Asian Americans, Indians have the highest education and income level. Nearly 70 percent of Indians in the United States have Bachelor’s degrees and the average annual income of Indian families is $83,820.

That's really cool news but that also plays into the stereotype that Asian parents push they're kids to be over-achievers (which isn't a bad thing).

Lol- this suddenly reminds me of a clip I heard of Margaret Cho. She was talking about Hollywood and how she'd been offered some TV and movie roles but she was saying how she didn't want to wear glasses, she didn't want to be the "smart kid" in class, etc... basically all those Asian stereotypes depicted in media ^_^.

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 12:28:18 pm »
Margaret Cho is hilarious. A bit off topic for me... but fellow asians:

Speaking of Asians...(LOL), if anyone is semi-fluent in any Asian language and would like to contribute to a good cause, please consider volunteering for the organization below. My Cantonese is only conversational, but did the job when it came to helping! ^_^

Asian Health and Service Center's Health Fair Volunteering request‏

Dear Community Volunteers,

It’s that time of year again. The Asian Health and Service Center is organizing the 8th Annual Asian Community Health Fair, to be held August 22, 2009, from 11 am to 4 pm at our Southeast Portland location at 3430 SE Powell Blvd., Portland, OR 97202. We have benefited greatly from your support in years past, and we hope that you will be able to participate again this year.

For over 25 years, our Center has been serving the comprehensive needs of Asians in the Portland area in a culturally and linguistically appropriate way. Many Asians experience barriers to accessing health care services, such as lack of health insurance. Our annual health fair provides a unique opportunity to reach out to Asian community members and connect them with free health screenings and resources to promote health. We invite you to once again bring your compassionate heart and join our effort to serve the community!

Last year’s event was a success, drawing approximately 600 participants. With the help of 30 health professionals from local health organizations and hospitals and over 100 volunteers, we were able to offer 16 different free screening services and host 15 health information booths. The response from the community was very positive. Without support from volunteers like you, this success would not be possible.

This year we aim to serve 800 community members. Please indicate below if you are able to attend. If you know any other bilingual volunteers who would like to participate, please pass this message along to them or refer them to us and we’ll be happy to send them information. For further information, please contact Samantha Kaan at (503)872-8822x 225 or Gemma Kim at (503)872-8822x233. Please fill out the form and send us through email at skaan@ahscpdx.org , or fax it to us at (503) 872-8825. We would appreciate your prompt response for effective planning and coordination of the event. Thanks for your support and commitment to the community!

Sincerely,

Christine Lau
Operation Director
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                               Volunteer Confirmation of Participation

Name: _____________________________________ 
Language you are fluent in besides English:
(Please circle)   Cantonese    Korean    Mandarin       Taiwanese      Vietnamese
Other:
Address: ________________________________________________________________
Phone number: ______________________ Fax: _____________Email: _____________
____    I will participate.
            Time I can participate: ______________________________    (11 a. m. to 4 p.m.)
 _____ I can’t participate this time, but I’d like to participate next time, if I can. 

Please send us your response through email, fax, or mail. Thank you.
And so it begins...

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 05:47:31 pm »
Margaret Cho is hilarious. A bit off topic for me... but fellow asians:

Speaking of Asians...(LOL), if anyone is semi-fluent in any Asian language and would like to contribute to a good cause, please consider volunteering for the organization below. My Cantonese is only conversational, but did the job when it came to helping! ^_^

Another great place to volunteer (for all Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, etc) is APANO: www.apano.org (they also work with health equity issues, advocacy, and much more!)

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 10:32:11 pm »
Bah- my Chinese is so bad >_<. I'm so American it's not even funny...

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 10:57:48 pm »

LOL. My cousins (now 20-ish) in Cali can't speak Chinese anymore--they did when they were like 8. That's just sad. The greatest opportunity to learn is in your own hands.

GET to those lessons--practice! lol!
And so it begins...

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 12:33:58 am »

LOL. My cousins (now 20-ish) in Cali can't speak Chinese anymore--they did when they were like 8. That's just sad. The greatest opportunity to learn is in your own hands.

GET to those lessons--practice! lol!

Lol- I know some Chinese and I can understand it ok (if they speak slow enough) and I can usually pick up the jist of a conversation but I'm still really outta practice.