Author Topic: I'm going to college at SOU!  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
I'm going to college at SOU!
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:22:22 pm »
I know it's a bit early to say this since I'm only a sophomore in high school,  but I went there today to talk to a counselor, and he said I could most likely get in. I'mma finally moving out of California. It also means it will be more likely for me to go to K- Con in the future! 

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
Re: I'm going to college at SOU!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 03:24:33 pm »
DUDE SOU ROCKS SO HARD!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah I'm a freshie but my sis went there and I like in ashland so yeah, it rocks socks.

Possible cosplay 2012 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:29:25 pm »
Well, maybe I'll see you if you go there :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:29:51 pm by Kallika »

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 01:56:26 am »
YOU CHOSE WRONG. QUACK QUACK!! YOU LOSE!!
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 01:58:25 am »
More seriously, that's really awesome, but two years is a long time in highschool. Junior and senior year are harder and slacking off gets a looot easier. I get the feeling you're smart folk so if a better opportunity than SOU comes by, take it. Don't do anything you'll regret. :) Usually a university has its own individual specialty. UO has a great liberal arts program and is where I majored in Art History. UO in 2008 was 5th in the nation for Education Studies. I'm currently enrolled at PSU which is top-knotch with environmental studies (and I think that reputation is nationwide). OSU is world-reknown for it's marine biology and sciences. OHSU is VERY hard to get into, usually requiring schooling at another university prior to enrollment, and is one of the top schools in the nation for medical practice and nursing. This is also just Oregon universities. California's universities have their own specialties as well.

I'm guessing you're either 15 or 16 so, I'm sorry to say this, you are still young. (And in comparison to an adorable 104 year old I know of, you're REALLY young. You know she was 90 when you were born?) Don't jump to any quick decision otherwise you might find you made a bad decision. If it's what you want, though, then with the attitude you've got, you're sure to make it. Just don't give up when things get hard!

I may not be 104 years old, but this is advice from someone ten years your senior! Listen to it! Muahaha!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:05:59 am by lychee-twist »

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:18:25 am »
Awesome~ I wanted to go there but PSU just worked better for me locationaly.

Both my parents graduated there, its such a nice area~ Beware the Lithia water ;)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 10:44:54 am »
More seriously, that's really awesome, but two years is a long time in highschool. Junior and senior year are harder and slacking off gets a looot easier. I get the feeling you're smart folk so if a better opportunity than SOU comes by, take it. Don't do anything you'll regret. :) Usually a university has its own individual specialty. UO has a great liberal arts program and is where I majored in Art History. UO in 2008 was 5th in the nation for Education Studies. I'm currently enrolled at PSU which is top-knotch with environmental studies (and I think that reputation is nationwide). OSU is world-reknown for it's marine biology and sciences. OHSU is VERY hard to get into, usually requiring schooling at another university prior to enrollment, and is one of the top schools in the nation for medical practice and nursing. This is also just Oregon universities. California's universities have their own specialties as well.

I'm guessing you're either 15 or 16 so, I'm sorry to say this, you are still young. (And in comparison to an adorable 104 year old I know of, you're REALLY young. You know she was 90 when you were born?) Don't jump to any quick decision otherwise you might find you made a bad decision. If it's what you want, though, then with the attitude you've got, you're sure to make it. Just don't give up when things get hard!

I may not be 104 years old, but this is advice from someone ten years your senior! Listen to it! Muahaha!
Yup, I know I'm still pretty darned young, but California has horrible funding for any school, and SOU has basically all the classes I need for my masters, plus my sister's going to go there next year (She's a sophomore in college). So she might be able to help me decide if it's the right school for me.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:37:30 pm »
Ah! I'm happy to hear that! Sounds like you've got things worked out pretty well indeed!

Yeah, I've heard California's education system needs... help.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 01:23:34 pm »
Only in the post-collegiate education. Also, during my 13 years of California public education, my only problem was a verbally abusive 5the grade teacher. In fact, my first two years of high school were roughly the same thing as middle school for me. Seriously.

As lychee said, there's plenty of other schools you should be aware of, and the UCs aren't bad at all. You're also forgetting the private institutions all over Oregon.

But if you do decide to go to SOU, you'll be in Ashland, which has an awesome debate team. xD;;
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 01:28:46 pm »
Miria, you're like the Debate Team Pimp XD

That's awesome.

I didn't even think of private colleges and universities! Good point!

And what was it with Fifth grade? Jeezus, that was the year I was bullied by this girl for the entire year. Miserable stuff fifth grade was, and the faculty did crap about it.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 05:10:58 pm »
I'M TRYING TO RAISE AWARENESS SO THAT PROGRAMS LIKE MINE DON'T GET CUT DUE TO LACK OF PARTICIPATION Dx

It's actually Ashland High School that has a great forensics team, although appartently Ashland has a lot of creepers. And don't move there if you're politically conservative.

Haha, thanks.

My fifth grade teacher somehow thought it was a good idea to constantly call her students lazy, dumb, idiots, stupid, etc.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 08:56:52 pm »
Wow, that woman should have gotten fired.

We need debaters in this world! With everyone agreeing with everyone else, nothing would get done!

"We need to cure cancer!"
"We're doing fine."
"Oh, well, okay. Nevermind."

Ashland does have a high meth population if I remember right, but that certainly doesn't represent the school. Ashland also has a Shakespeare Fair that's pretty big, too. From what Wikipedia says, it's a huge event! Sounds neat! And they also have an Indie movie fest. I've only driven through Ashland to get to California, but it was very pretty. One of my friends is from there, and she is, like, the nicest, most quiet and sweet person ever so Ashland can't all be scary.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 09:51:56 pm »
I know, right? ._.

According to debaters, if we didn't have debaters, nuclear war would happen. Not even kidding.

Oh, I wasn't talking about the drugs issue- I meant that apparently there are a lot of creepy people there, at least according to one Ashland high schooler. He also said if that the tea party held a rally in Ashland, the RNC would find their bloody corpses on the sidewalk.

I've actually been to the Shakespeare festival and it was awesome, even though they didn't show a Shakespeare play but instead a version of Pride and Prejudice. It's an awesome town, really, and that's where I had bubble tea for the first time.

Back on topic:
I've heard SOU is pretty good. Felix, on these forums, goes there. You two could talk about it, maybe?
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 10:24:47 pm »
God, no kidding on the nuclear war thing. Also put into consideration the role of debaters in every negotiation, bill, act, or any major political movement.

I shouldn't laugh about the Tea party comment, but I chuckled. I admit it.

Yeah, back on subject, SOU isn't UO, but it'll work, I guess ;)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 07:37:44 am »

Ashland does have a high meth population if I remember right, but that certainly doesn't represent the school. Ashland also has a Shakespeare Fair that's pretty big, too. From what Wikipedia says, it's a huge event! Sounds neat! And they also have an Indie movie fest. I've only driven through Ashland to get to California, but it was very pretty.

Yes the festival is really big, and lots of plays are put on.  Its so pretty with the flags on all the lights.

See the red banner with the lion on it?
When little we would love to go to litha park, its one of the best parks ever.  My mom would tell us unicorns lived there.  There was this one thing there a human hamster whell made of wood that was AWESOME!!!
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 07:43:09 am »
Oh hey I'm going to go there! I'm a senior in high school though so I've actually been accepted and will be attending next year.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 07:53:49 am »
God, no kidding on the nuclear war thing. Also put into consideration the role of debaters in every negotiation, bill, act, or any major political movement.

I shouldn't laugh about the Tea party comment, but I chuckled. I admit it.

Yeah, back on subject, SOU isn't UO, but it'll work, I guess ;)
Since my sister went to OSU she kinda made me not like UO :P

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 08:03:46 pm »
Hahaha! I actually love OSU. If I was a science person, I would have gone there in a heartbeat. But since I'm art based, I waddle and quack instead of chew on trees.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 08:08:13 pm »
Freakin' beavers. sigh

So. You're a party girl, eh? Isn't SOU the premier party school in this state? Don't you just love fun facts? lol

Good luck down south. Watch out for Californians! lol

Have Fun

Jay

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 09:22:23 pm »
Freakin' beavers. sigh

So. You're a party girl, eh? Isn't SOU the premier party school in this state? Don't you just love fun facts? lol

But I am a Californian :(
It's north to me :P
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:23:04 pm by Kallika »

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 07:29:29 pm »
Freakin' beavers. sigh

But I am a Californian :(
It's north to me :P

Oh, so you're the problem, eh? lol Actually, you are the savior of our institutions of higher ed. You don't get to pay in-state tuition do you?

So that has me wondering, why SOU? Why not one of the Cal. universities? Get out of Dodge?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 08:42:45 pm »
California's funding is TERRIBLE, the college my sister is going to is being cut over 60 million dollars, that school alone (Plus many other colleges). Also I really like Oregon's way of education, it's wayyy better than California's also. Oregon is a nice place also :P.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 07:32:51 pm »
I thought, on the drive home last night, you should say you are from the state of Jefferson. That area or southern Oregon, northern California. I mean, it popped into my head while listening to Jefferson Public Radio. I think it's out of Ashland.

Did you know that going to California universities was free until Prop 13 passed?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 07:40:30 pm »
Freakin' beavers. sigh

DUCKS FOR THE WIN BRO!!!!!

Possible cosplay 2012 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 09:55:53 pm »
...Or you could just let her go to the college she wants to go to |:
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 09:38:04 pm »
But I know she really wants to go to Oxford. Or was it Tokyo U.?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 09:45:45 pm »
Actually it was Yale. Keep up with the times, Jay ;)