Author Topic: Unknown Characters  (Read 6906 times)

Offline Shabu

• Cabbit
Unknown Characters
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:28:46 pm »
This is to all who wish to cosplay, but are scared to because their character is so obscure or unknown that they won't...Actually, I wanted to know how many people actually go through this.
I believe that there should be character awareness in conventions. Protests, street brawls, burning stuff-
JUST KIDDING! XD
Just kidding people, but I am serious about the rare characters thing. How many people here actually have that problem? I mean, I probably will be flipped a lot of crap because I have to go around wearing a day-glow orange coat and a bright yellow hard hat for my cosplay. *awkward sweatdrop*
*cough cough*
I'm not talking about popular anime extras *naruto, bleach-cough hack* but the semi-popular stuff and lower.
I bet you're wondering if this has a point, but-NO>_<
Just shoving this question out there for the good of so few. ^_^

Theme song: ~Shabu shabu kwee kwee! Shabu shabu Kwee kwee! KAW~

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Re: Unknown Characters
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 05:27:35 pm »
My friends and I get that a lot. We tend not to cosplay as the well known stuff. I mean to us it should be because it's awesome(or its new) and so we get less cosplay love. But hey I like wearing the costume more then the publicity.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Shabu

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:48:33 pm »
I agree. I also want to avoid doing something mainstream this year, because last year I went as Tobi from naruto. It was my first con, so yeah. I was naieve...stupid...had an awsome time but stiiiill >_>
Oh well. This year I've learned proper behavoir and will not look like a newb! ^.^
Yeah!
ps, how did you make your cosplay signature? I need to post my stuff.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 06:02:11 pm »
I cosplay as mostly obscure characters. I tried to cosplay as something mainstream at my second convention and heated getting stopped ever five minutes to get my picture taken so I make it a point to cosplay as things that aren't crazy popular now. It helps that most of my interests mostly in obscure anime to begin with though, so it isn't hard for me to find characters.
So I root for you people that cosplay as uncommon characters, I am in the same boat.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 06:04:38 pm »
yeah Mainstream does get tiring. I mean there's just so much of it. it does help get more people into anime but they tend to stay stuck in most popular series.

I made it in photo shop. I took images I liked of my cosplays and made them icon sized.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 06:21:15 pm »
Edit for being an idiot. I thought you posted a picture of all of your cosplays that were obscure on here tofu haha.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:49:36 pm by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 09:08:49 pm »
I remember last year I cosplayed Reisen from Touhou (a game) Not many people know about it but I went as her anyways not expecting people to recognize me. and not many people did. But the cool part was when somebody did they got really excited and it was a cool feeling to have to see someone really happy XD

So anyways you never know what the result will come out. More people may recognize you than you think.

btw may I ask who this character you want to cosplay is?

*reads first post again* wait.. Is it Karl?! :0
KAAAARRRRLLL <3 *shot*
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:14:09 pm by kit2kit »
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline Shabu

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 09:50:56 pm »
I remember last year I cosplayed Reisen from Touhou (a game) Not many people know about it but I went as her anyways not expecting people to recognize me. and not many people did. But the cool part was when somebody did they got really excited and it was a cool feeling to have to see someone really happy XD

So anyways you never know what the result will come out. More people may recognize you than you think.

btw may I ask who this character you want to cosplay is?

*reads first post again* wait.. Is it Karl?! :0
KAAAARRRRLLL <3 *shot*
Buwahahaaaa! Yes! I shall cosplay Karl! He is awsome! I wish I could get a LoTs group together for kumoricon, but I doubt many people on here about the Law of Talos.
*cries*
(sniffle) Oh well. I'm also going as Joe from digimon and mello from deathnote. Okay, Joe is a maybe, because there is also a digimon cosplay group set up, so....awkward? Yes.
So I shall need to get as many good cosplay's together. maybe I could go as neuro from Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro...*ponders*
I'll keep thinking. Thanks guys!
ps: KARL FOR THE WIN!

Offline Kagome219

• Bunnygirl
    • Bloggin' lolol~
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 09:54:44 pm »
Law of Talos! I just got in to that less than a week ago. No kidding. xD
If I could had more room in my cosplay schedule I would sooooo cosplay as Mizuno. 8D

@Skylar: Karl? O:
K-con '11 Cosplays:
NO, Thank You!!Mio (K-ON!!) - 100%
Haruhi Suzumiya (TMoHS) - 100%
Sollux (Homestuck) - 100%
Crystal (Pokemon Crystal Version) - 100%
Don't say "lazy"!Mio (K-ON!) - 100%
Alice (Pandora Hearts) - 100%
Haruhi Fujioka (OHSHC) - 100%

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 10:01:36 pm »
Albel isn't that well known but I love the character so much so I don't care if people recognize me or not. I love the costume and I love to make it better and better.

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 12:00:24 am »
If I could had more room in my cosplay schedule I would sooooo cosplay as Mizuno. 8D

Karl is only the most popular OC Ive ever seen XD just got to deviantart and search Karl and you get lots of fanart of him. He was made by a guy on DA with the user Unkown-Person.

And hes a friken shark Liven Statue
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 12:01:51 am by kit2kit »
'16 Cosplay

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 11:10:11 am »
I cosplayed as Sarutobi Ayame from Gintama last year. Not very many people recognized me but I still had fun.

If u like it, then that is all that matters!

^_^
And so it begins...

Offline Michiyo

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 02:47:23 pm »
I'm doing Rin from Togainu no Chi, a game.

It's got an awesome plot line and characters are great, but it doesn't have an official english version, or an unofficial one, so very few people know about it.
It's a fun outfit though, and I like the character, so it's worth it.
Kumoricon '12 Cosplays:

Rainbow Dash (MLP:FiM) - 80% done
Jake English (Homestuck) - 70% done

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 03:26:17 pm »
i'm just going as a oc character*original character* for the last day since i dont have any ideas or anything, unless someone gives me a good idea. and so far, i'm left with an oc on the last day, but who cares if your unknown, if your costume looks good, it doesnt really matter lol

Offline Shabu

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 03:58:13 pm »
Anybody interested in doing a group cosplay with me? For LoTs? Anybody? Just wondering.
If you are, talk to me about it and I'll set up a character claim list

Offline Kagome219

• Bunnygirl
    • Bloggin' lolol~
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 04:08:13 pm »
For this year? D: ;;
What about next year? ^^;;
K-con '11 Cosplays:

Offline Shabu

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 04:13:06 pm »
Any year. I'll open it for both ^_^

Offline Kagome219

• Bunnygirl
    • Bloggin' lolol~
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 04:14:28 pm »

Karl is only the most popular OC Ive ever seen XD just got to deviantart and search Karl and you get lots of fanart of him. He was made by a guy on DA with the user Unkown-Person.

THAT'S who Karl is?! I love that guy. D:  I just never knew his name. xD
He's a... living statue...? *was a spoiler for me* ;~;
Any year. I'll open it for both ^_^

Then I totally will next year! ><
I like Mizuno a lot (from first episode). Could I be him/it? 8D
K-con '11 Cosplays:

Offline Shabu

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 04:20:30 pm »
Sure! Xd
So for next year that leaves:
Relik,princess,Chimbley sweep, Mecha siblings...That's as far as I've watched in the animation.
Anyway, if anyone is interested in this year, every character except for (of course) KARL, is open.

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 07:04:39 pm »
Sure! Xd
Relik,princess,Chimbley sweep, Mecha siblings...That's as far as I've watched in the animation.
Anyway, if anyone is interested in this year, every character except for (of course) KARL, is open.
i want to do it!!! well if its for the last day cuz i dont have any other days open and i just need to watch it *sisters obssesed with it*

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 12:27:50 am »
I tend to just want to cosplay my favorite characters from whatever series I've been reading/watching, and if it's a character that's not well known, or from a series that's not well known, then so be it! I'd rather cosplay who I like, not to just get attention.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 10:14:05 am »

THAT'S who Karl is?! I love that guy. D:  I just never knew his name. xD
He's a... living statue...? *was a spoiler for me* ;~;

Well its not really because Unknown Person said he was in his reference sheet http://unknown-person.deviantart.com/art/Karl-reference-sheet-93320822

(this quote thingy is messed up -_-)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 10:17:33 am by kit2kit »
'16 Cosplay

Offline Kagome219

• Bunnygirl
    • Bloggin' lolol~
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 10:21:43 am »
I've only seen the short flashes. I hadn't read the comics or other things yet. So thanks, Sky. xD
K-con '11 Cosplays:

Offline Shabu

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 11:19:14 am »
Sure! Xd
i want to do it!!! well if its for the last day cuz i dont have any other days open and i just need to watch it *sisters obssesed with it*

Well then, we have our mecha sisters...I think. If enough people are interested in it, I'll start an official thread. There might even be a chance to make a (da-da-da-daaaaa) COSPLAY GROUP NAME!
*proud pose*

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 12:13:10 pm »
I don't think my character is that unknown, but I don't think many people recognized him.  I think I have only been asked for my pic maybe 5 times in 3 different cons.  I attended every day too!  Wouldn't you say that Full Metal Panic is a popular anime?  Would you say playing the commanding officer of the main character would be a recognizable character?  Yep that's me, Lt Commander Andrei Kalinin, Operations Director for MITHRIL.  ;D  I am often see wearing my uniform complete with MITHRIL patches on the shoulders.  Unless people actually stare at me for awhile and read the patch, they all think I am some guy walking around in uniform.  I have been debating changing my cosplay this year to someone a little more mainstream.  My biggest problem has always been that I am 45, male, bearded, and balding.  Want to give me a list of characters I can play?  I'll give you an hour to think about it.  I think that this year I will go from FMP to FMA and try being the main character(s) father instead.  How about it?  Need a Hohenheim of Light?  Would I be recognized?  Hmm....    :-\   It is either that or the walrus mustached shape changed tanuki from Pom Poko, Kincho Daimyoujin the Sixth.  I have been trying to get my wife to play the female tanuki. Fireball Oroku, so we could go as a pair.  So far I haven't had much luck.   :P
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline CharlotteElbourne

• Chibi
    • Charlotte's Cosplay.com Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 12:17:40 am »
I cosplayed Charlotte from Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust... I went to Anime Expo and Kumoricon... and all of them put together... THREE people have asked for my picture and only two recognized who I was... TWO. Out of 30,000 people... LOL

But it doesn't matter, because its my all time favorite costume/character so I am happy ^^

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 12:31:28 am »
I pretty much won't cosplay any mainstream character, on the rare occasion that I cosplay at all.  I find that if I do, I bump into other people cosplaying as the same character, and I'm too judgmental of their costumes.  So, I pick really weird characters to cosplay, like Che Guevara, or Nukka's Zune.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline DooFeRthePanda

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 06:39:31 am »
so me and my sis can be mecha sisters?

Offline SoraKitsune

• Chibi
    • Deviant art account
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 07:22:51 am »
Ive tried in past to actually cosplay a mainstream character (Shikamaru from Naruto though female) yeah I was overlooked 95% of the time. This year I comished a wicked awesome female Shino cosplay. Lets see if anyone recognizes me. Other then that Shikamaru all I have ever cosplayed is OCs. Only got pulled over once or twice cause someone htough my dress was cute (a highly loli fluffy thingie of death, though its a old prom dress).
KumoriCon 2011
Femmy Turkey(aph) Missing pieces: Green hoody, dye hair brown. Mask
Femmy Germany(aph) Missing pieces: Short blond wig, iron cross necklace, Possibly blue contacts

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 07:55:26 am »
last kumoricon was my first con and i wore my first version of calcifer from howls moving castle. and i hated the fact that all my friends were being talked to and i wasnt ;_; then i went and changed and made pleanty of new friends. i want to take my 2nd ver. of calcifer but i dont know how it would go. i would have to find a howl and latch on to him/her i supose? xD
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 10:20:32 am »
yay Karl!!!!
tho my yay is cuz my younger brother is named Karl and all thru school he would get peeps spelling it with a c instead of a K so yay for k!!

on topic :)

I made some peeps dressed as earth bound character very happy one year when i KNEW who they were picture anime big teary eyes, this was before bawl came out

usaly its nice to have a mix well know and less know, this year i have my pakkun for well known and my cookin mama which is less know for any non game players esp with my leek attachment ;)

i am kickin around a 3rd but i'm not sure yet  i have been tempted to go as a flower girl from mpd psycho but i might need stuff i can only get at halloween
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 01:10:27 pm »
last kumoricon was my first con and i wore my first version of calcifer from howls moving castle. and i hated the fact that all my friends were being talked to and i wasnt ;_; then i went and changed and made pleanty of new friends. i want to take my 2nd ver. of calcifer but i dont know how it would go. i would have to find a howl and latch on to him/her i supose? xD

I love Calcifer!~ He wouldn't be recognizable character as cosplay without someone from the same movie because he's just fire... xD  Do you have any pictures?
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 01:12:27 pm »
yup! i got one so far, waiting to go find a good place for photos

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2037518/
kumoicon 2013:

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 02:10:48 pm »
Dude, that's so cool. XD
Though from what I can see, I like version one better!
If you find a Howl to go with you, you'd definitely be recognized.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 02:21:04 pm »
usaly its nice to have a mix well know and less know, this year i have my pakkun for well known and my cookin mama which is less know for any non game players esp with my leek attachment ;)
Haha I have no idea who the first one of those two is but I totally know about Cookin' Mama. :P
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 04:51:46 pm »
xD thanks but i like ver 2 better.. just cuz of the 3 fingered glvoes xD
kumoicon 2013:

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 07:07:14 pm »
Kuja is kinda unknown. There isn't a whole lot of popularity with 9...

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 07:16:44 pm »
my friend is in love with kuja so theres one person who will.... attack you
kumoicon 2013: