Author Topic: Persocom based phone armor  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Eeveeification

• Cabbit
Persocom based phone armor
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:04:53 pm »
I'm planning on building a shell for my iPhone, slowly but surely. As I was dreaming up various designs and thinking of different things I might want, at more or less 4 in the morning, I dreamt up a Persocom-like shell.

This is by no means the voice activated, personality imbued, moving of its own accord Persocom. I simply wanted to make a shell, equipped with speakers in the mouth, thick "walls" (this is still armor), and a way to charge my phone via the shell.

I come here asking for guidance, as this is less about the anime, Chobits, and more about what I need to make my own phone armor. I plan on basing it around Sumomo/Plum, the mobile versions. The phone will sit snugly in his/her belly, with the clothes being fit back in over the hole in which the phone was snugly plugged in and placed. If you have an original design you'd like featured, I'd love to see it :) Even if its the roughest sketch imaginable. If not, it'll just ne Sumomo.

The materials involved would be a homemade plastic, with a way to dye still being questioned. As of right now, my idea is to carve molds out of styrofoam or wax, pour the plastic in, let it dry, and assemble with some sort of strong glue. Painting sounds tacky to me, although I'm not really a fan of plastic either.

I want to wire a small speaker through the mouth that connects down to the phone headphone jack. I also want to see if they sell extender cords for the charger for the ipod, so I could connect chargers through the ears, much like the persocoms.

I made this thread to ask for guidance in my decisions. To make it a short list, I'm planning on doing the following:

-Carving molds out of styrofoam
-Dying homemade plastic using an unconfirmed method, either before OR after
-Filling molds with plastic
-Waiting 2 days, as per the recipe, so it dries
-Peicing together the shell
-Threading through the small speaker and extender cords so as they are always inside, and wires are coiled inside the headband for easy retrieval to plug in

The features are a bare minimum, only applications my iPhone allows, with the 1 or 2 speakers I can fit in there, and charging, all extending through the ears/headband, with most likely an external bluetooth clipped to me to use the voice commands and so I can also answer the phone.

I know its a mess to read, but any and all help would be appreciated! I'm still thinking this out a bit more, I won't actually be starting until AFTER K-con.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:06:44 pm by Eeveeification »
Drifloon - 90%, just missing balloon buddy
Cubone - Not even started, but things fall together.
Cat Girl #1987604134 - Always finished, always ready if everything else fails.

Drifloon is most likely days 1 & 2, with Cubone being day 3/backup.

Offline Eeveeification

• Cabbit
Re: Persocom based phone armor
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:08:33 pm »
Also, as for its uses, I pretty much want this as a cute face to recite the boring GPS voice, a neat little stand for when its charging, a music speaker, and possibly a cute way to talk if that works. Basically cute cute cute. And I love the ideas of Persocoms, even just in a armor shell. Any and all help is loved~!
Drifloon - 90%, just missing balloon buddy
Cubone - Not even started, but things fall together.
Cat Girl #1987604134 - Always finished, always ready if everything else fails.

Drifloon is most likely days 1 & 2, with Cubone being day 3/backup.

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
Re: Persocom based phone armor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:54:46 pm »
This would be SO AWESOME!!!