Author Topic: Cameras~  (Read 14644 times)

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
Cameras~
« on: May 07, 2010, 04:47:39 pm »
I really want a thread to discuss photographers, and their camera.
It's cosplay related because all of us like taking cosplay photos, because it's an awesome way to show off your costume, not to mention your modeling skillz.

My camera is one of these babies,A Canon Rebel XD 1000d
I got it in the mail finally yesterday, and I'm still fangasming
My twin keeps trying to convince me that we have co-custody even though I paid for it xD

So, what are you guys taking your lovely photos with?~
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
Re: Cameras~
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 09:04:15 pm »
My camera is an older model, but she still takes pictures better than most.
It's a Nikon D100, and she is my pride and joy.
But even of you have a great camera you're still going to need lenses. I use a AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm for close to medium far distance shots, my marco lenses is a AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D, a Tamron AF 19-35mm for wide angle shots, and finally for longer distances I use a Tokina ATX Pro 28-70mm.

I'm a bit of a camera buff.

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:46:48 pm »
Great thread to start soundy! =A= i myself am lookin to buy/save up for a better camera. But im not sure what ro get yet. I currently have a fujifil digital camera that actually takes pretty decent pics.

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 11:10:11 pm »
Having good equipment is wonderful and certainly helps, but the thing you have to remember is that the person behind the camera is the most important factor in having good pictures. Expensive cameras and lenses can't beat having a good eye. I've seen situations where the better of two photographs was taken with the cheaper camera - what made it better was the photographer's artistic skill. In that respect photography is just like any other art form.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. c:

(of course, even the best photographer can't do much with a cell-phone camera.)
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 12:02:32 am »
My Camera is a FujiFilm 51500 Finepix.
I don't care for it, that much. xD
My friend usually snatches it for Photoshoots because she's the Photographer type. But, I'm so excited to use it at Kumoricon this year! I wonder how the pictures will turn out!

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 12:24:35 am »
I myself run a Canon Rebel Xsi with a Canon 50mm 1.4 lens and as a flash I have a Canon Speedlite 430 EX II. Also yes- you can have the best equipment and it will mean nothing if you have no idea how to compose a picture. That is something I still have to learn each day I take photos. But never let lack of equipment or immediate skill stop you from taking as many photos as possible.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 12:24:50 am »
Everyone's camera is WAY better then mine :(  /cry

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 11:29:17 am »
same.
I have a Canon Powershot A550 that was good for a while but has become old and crappy (particularly after a few bad incidents involving rain and flooded backpacks.)
<.<
>.>
so not my fault. :D

Anywho. I'm actually In the market for a new camera. I do loots of costuming outside of conventions (although it will always be my first love) and the camera I have just doesn't do justice to the things I make.
does anyone have any good suggestions for something relatively inexpensive? I have cash, but I'd perfer not to spend it all on a camera...so I can actually GET to K-con to use said camera.
I eat toasters 0_o

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT/ED/PA d—s-: a- - C+++ L E W+++N o+ K++w+ O+ M - - V PS+ PE+ Y PGP t+++ 5+ X++ R  tv+ b+++ DI+ D G++ e++ h- !r  x-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 04:47:58 pm »
Yeah- if you just want something that fits in your pocket and can snap a few quick photos- Get a Nikon or Canon as they are pretty much the best for the Point and Shoot Market. If you want something like a DSLR...wow, Price range, what you want to do with it, and the most important thing- How much you like the feel of it- are all things you should take into account.

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 03:49:13 pm »
I'm, unfortunantly, in the beginning stages of figuring out what I want. I've been using a simple point and shoot, but I think I'm ready to move up to a bridge, or at least a reeaaallly gooood point and shoot. DSLR's are too expensive 0_0 and I probably wouldn't handle it very well yet. Although at some point I would like to be able to capture the work I do in a more photographer-esque manner.
if you get my drift...
I eat toasters 0_o

GAT/ED/PA d—s-: a- - C+++ L E W+++N o+ K++w+ O+ M - - V PS+ PE+ Y PGP t+++ 5+ X++ R  tv+ b+++ DI+ D G++ e++ h- !r  x-

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 04:41:24 pm »
I myself am a Canon fanboy so this opinion may be skewed but-

Canon has MANY higher level point and shoots that you can enjoy, granted they ARE bulkier so you will lose the ability to keep it in your pocket, you will have to carry it around your arm or in a holster. Some good choices are

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX120IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B002LITT3S/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1274484901&sr=1-11 (What I cut my teeth on before I got an DSLR- Takes Great shots, not so good night shots)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B002LITT42/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1274484901&sr=1-14 (if you are more into scenery)

BUT! Two notes-

1. Best thing to do is to go into a brick and mortar store like Best Buy and try out all the cameras, the one that you like the best- even if it is not the best- should be your first choice, a great camera means nothing if you do not want to handle it constantly.

2. Also do not count out FILM SLR's- Ho geez, if you don't mind doing things the old way such as how to properly read your setting and adjust your camera settings to match- you can get a VERY high level 35 mm film camera for about the same price as the digitals I just linked you. Film is laughably cheap and the highest end Film SLRs can auto change their settings for you, I would heavily suggest buying used as the price drops down even more

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-2000-Camera-28-80mm/dp/B00001QEMF/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1274485207&sr=1-7 is such an example- also if you go even older (70s, 80's) The price for the lenses is even more cheap.

Hope that helps!

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 11:26:28 am »
gracias much!
I eat toasters 0_o

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 06:16:11 pm »
After years for a stupid little $20 thing that takes crap crap crap I finally upgraded to a nice coolpix Nikon. 10 megapixles and 13 optical zoom. It's my baby~ I CANNOT WAIT to take it to the convention and get some awesome shots!

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 11:35:35 pm »
Im running a canon 40D and usually running with my 17-55 f/2.8

gonna be running some upgrades and hopefully be getting them near the end of the month
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 06:29:07 pm »
I recently upgraded to a Canon 7D that came with a EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens. Also picked up a EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens & a Speedlite 580EX II Flash as a part of a packaged price deal. Been interested in photography most of my life but have only recently been able to really invest more money & time into it.

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 08:37:04 pm »
simple sony cybershot w350 at the moment

I've been looking into Canon DSLR's. I might get one soon ^.^
And so it begins...

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 08:18:56 am »

So far from my experience & some of my friends...they are worth the investment! You will be very happy with one if you decide to buy.

Offline AceLogan

• Cabbit
    • My Photography Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 08:43:26 am »
I shoot an older Olympus Evolt E-300. Weight wise it's lighter then Nikon or Canon. It's generally accepted that Olympus lenses are better over all. It also shoots in 4:3 aspect ratio which tends to make cropping a non-nessecity. I bought a Nikon D50 a while ago, but just couldn't get into it. It just felt wrong, and didn't make much sense to use.

Another very nice feature is that older Olympus lens are VERY cheap, yet highly sought after by Nikon and Canon owners. You can get a cheap adapter off of eBay and use any of the older lens. I've got a 50mm 1.8f that I love to shoot portraits with so much, that I have two backups just in case. I also got a 600mm 4.5f for about $120. On the Olympus it comes out to about 1200mm and is awesome for taking very closeup shots, or things like star photography.

For Point and Shoots, the little Kodak ones seem to be pretty decent in my experience. I'd stay away from Vivitar though.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 05:17:33 pm »

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 09:16:31 pm »
lol
ummm Im thinking about buying a DSLR and I dont have a lot of money. What camera would be good/cheap for starters?

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 10:37:32 pm »
lol
ummm Im thinking about buying a DSLR and I dont have a lot of money. What camera would be good/cheap for starters?

I am THINKING of selling my current setup of a Rebel Xsi, Kit lens, Bag, Extra battery, two 8 gig cards and lens filter soon if you don't mind waiting. I am deciding if I should buy the 7D or not (have to get a credit card if yes)

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 12:15:08 am »

So far from my experience & some of my friends...they are worth the investment! You will be very happy with one if you decide to buy.

:) I'm still leaning towards the Rebel T2i.... Gosh, decisions, decisions! ^_^
And so it begins...

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 08:31:59 am »
lol

.... well, DSLRs cost money. >_>

The cheapest I've seen is a Nikon, that was $500~
Yeah I was able to get mine for about that.

I have a D 3000 and it is pretty good. Knowing the horrible lighting conditions at the hotel I am going to try to get a flash before the con as well and if I am really lucky, I will try to get a new lens too :D

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 08:42:25 am »
The Canon T2i looks nice, but as it is so new, they are sold out & on back order most everywhere. I usually like to to wait on new products for the bugs to get worked out & to hear other peoples input on them...but thats me :P

lol

I am THINKING of selling my current setup of a Rebel Xsi, Kit lens, Bag, Extra battery, two 8 gig cards and lens filter soon if you don't mind waiting. I am deciding if I should buy the 7D or not (have to get a credit card if yes)
You will be happy with it if you did...I love mine :D

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 11:16:33 am »
lol

yeah I guess I dont mind...

and Dana Im not stupid I know there friggin expensive

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 12:11:13 pm »
The Canon T2i looks nice, but as it is so new, they are sold out & on back order most everywhere. I usually like to to wait on new products for the bugs to get worked out & to hear other peoples input on them...but thats me :P

Ah, yes. Thanks for the advice. I found a few websites who now have it back in stock. I just nee to get to a camera store and just "play" with all of them. :)
And so it begins...

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 01:53:59 pm »
I played with the T2i at Best Buy...almost bought that one but I liked the 7D a bit more. But in no way was it a bad camera...I actually liked it a lot... A few of the employees there are good friends so they didn't care that I stood around forever playing with the cameras :D

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 05:02:16 pm »
The T2i is pretty much a 7D with a Rebel tag and some of the features taken off- it is REALLY sad to say but in pure QUALITY the more inexpensive T2i is almost equal with the 7D

Edit: By quality I mean just photos using that body, if you compare BUILD quality then the 7D wins by a landslide.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:04:07 pm by Mr Silmero »

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 05:46:39 pm »
Ya, they were very close in most of their features & I had a hard time deciding at first...but some of the extra features, the higher FPS, & the build of the 7D are what sold me on that one.

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 11:42:04 pm »
The T2i is pretty much a 7D with a Rebel tag and some of the features taken off- it is REALLY sad to say but in pure QUALITY the more inexpensive T2i is almost equal with the 7D

Edit: By quality I mean just photos using that body, if you compare BUILD quality then the 7D wins by a landslide.

Ya, they were very close in most of their features & I had a hard time deciding at first...but some of the extra features, the higher FPS, & the build of the 7D are what sold me on that one.

Oh, wow. Thank you both for sharing your expertise and thoughts.  :) I'm a newbie and want to take on a fun hobby like photography so maybe the features of the T2i fit my needs. We will see. I sure do appreciate ya'll!
And so it begins...

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 06:43:42 am »
lol

yeah I guess I dont mind...

and Dana Im not stupid I know there friggin expensive

Then er, you shouldn't say you don't have much money if you want to buy one ouo;;
Like what I meant by cheap was not overly expensive....o3o Gosh I have a job I can save up.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 06:58:22 am »

Oh, wow. Thank you both for sharing your expertise and thoughts.  :) I'm a newbie and want to take on a fun hobby like photography so maybe the features of the T2i fit my needs. We will see. I sure do appreciate ya'll!
It also seemed to be more user friendly for someone learning...if that helps :D

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 10:19:06 pm »
SO..... my dad told me he got his old Pentax SLR back from my Grandpa.... because it was in storage or something... its like a camera from the 80's or somethin cause my dad used/bought it in college. I havent seen it yet but he says theres 2 or 3 really nice lenses with it.

The downside: FILM

should I still use it? hes offering to let me use/borrow it when I want to.

Offline pencil

• Sailor Scout
    • http://users.livejournal.com/_pencil_/profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 11:12:53 pm »
SO..... my dad told me he got his old Pentax SLR back from my Grandpa.... because it was in storage or something... its like a camera from the 80's or somethin cause my dad used/bought it in college. I havent seen it yet but he says theres 2 or 3 really nice lenses with it.

The downside: FILM

should I still use it? hes offering to let me use/borrow it when I want to.

Film can be really tricky to use, but its the fastest way to learn! I started on film and then went to digital, and because of that I can actually -use- the camera instead of having to use preset modes. That is incredibly helpful in making sure you get the photo you invision from the start. Only bad part is that it can be super expensive, and stores don't always develop it the way you would want to. So if you can use a darkroom that is awesome (yet still incredibly expensive). I think my happiest moments in college so far have been spent in the darkroom, lol.

Right now I have a Nikon D90 which I almost always use my 50mm f/1.8 with, because its my baby. I'm a sucker for crazy DOF and bokeh out the wazoo<3 I have a refurbished SB-600 flash, which is awesome. And I have some cheapo reflector I got on amazon, which is a SUPER helpful. I also use the 18-55 kit lends from time to time for a wider angled shot.
As far as film goes I use a Canon AV-1, and I also have fisheye toy camera which is super fun to use.

I'm looking into getting a lensbaby at some point, but I'm super broke right now :(
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:22:49 pm by pencil »
K-con 09!
Maetel - Galaxy Express 999
Sanji - Shabondy, Regular, Okama
Mamori - EyeSheild 21 - cheerleader

possibly Allen walker?

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 11:16:40 pm »
Im willing to pay for the film... I HAVE PLENTY OF MONEY FOR THAT :D ugh I need to buy a reflector X_X

I just have no money to buy a DSLR......>_>

Offline pencil

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 11:28:33 pm »
Yup yup! Just make sure you know what kinda film you need when you buy it :) Understanding ISOs is pretty important (and setting your camera accordingly, which i always seem to forget uggghh). TMAX is pretty standard, and probably the best quality you will get for the price. There are tons of fun kinds of film, but they get more expensive the cooler they are, lol.
K-con 09!

possibly Allen walker?

Offline pencil

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 11:30:08 pm »
Also, you should look into making your own reflector! Its super easy, and you can use tons of various materials.
K-con 09!

possibly Allen walker?

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2010, 09:39:30 am »
For Kumoricon I am planing on buying a new lens and a flash for my D3000. I would love to hear suggestions on what would be the best lens for cosplay photography (as well as flash). I have one in mind I'm either thinking the 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2010, 10:03:14 am »
Also, you should look into making your own reflector! Its super easy, and you can use tons of various materials.
wow I just googled it and its easier than I thought XDDDD

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2010, 02:15:19 pm »
I have a little baby camera, the OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP u1050SW,S1050SW
It takes some pretty impressive pictures, though.

Save Caprica!!

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2010, 08:02:04 pm »