Author Topic: Zac Efron as Light.....WAIT WHAT?!  (Read 35585 times)

Offline Hidamari

• Catgirl
    • Reddsause- fandubs, parodies, and then some!
Re: Zac Efron as Light.....WAIT WHAT?!
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2009, 05:11:47 pm »
A year ago I'd buy it and cuddle with it =D
Sakuracon~

Offline Pein_Cupcake

• Catgirl
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2009, 05:29:45 pm »
*shudders at thought* This will not turn out well. It isn't just America that is horrible at adaption, it is the matter of A Jock playing Japan's best. I have seen all of the HSM movies, hoping he would do better each time. As well as 17 Again. He just can't do it! He doesn't look the part! I don't mean to bash your opinions. But I simply cannot put the two together in my head without a horrible outcome. He may be able to portray emotion, but Light is more than emotion. Light is a role model, hope, the dawning of a cleansing era. My fear is that Light Yagami will be turned into the next Troy Bolton. I sign the petition as a respectable follower of both Kira and L!
~Kumoricon 2012~
-Scarecrow (Batman: The Dark Knight Trilogy)
-Finn (Adventure Time)

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2009, 05:39:26 pm »
I honestly just don't want this to happen. I'm tired of anime being brought into the US and made into live actions. I just don't like it.

I don't like Japanese movies, either, but I love the USA's. Maybe they just shouldn't mix? I mean, to portray most anime, you have to be, say, not much realistic.

And I also just happen to hate live actions, no matter their origin.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 05:40:26 pm by CatchxMe »

Offline UtadaFan20

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2009, 09:55:04 pm »
*shudders at thought* This will not turn out well. It isn't just America that is horrible at adaption, it is the matter of A Jock playing Japan's best. I have seen all of the HSM movies, hoping he would do better each time. As well as 17 Again. He just can't do it! He doesn't look the part! I don't mean to bash your opinions. But I simply cannot put the two together in my head without a horrible outcome. He may be able to portray emotion, but Light is more than emotion. Light is a role model, hope, the dawning of a cleansing era. My fear is that Light Yagami will be turned into the next Troy Bolton. I sign the petition as a respectable follower of both Kira and L!

I signed the petition as well and I completly agree with thee above statement. I also agree that American adaption and anything Japanese, Asian, or Chinese DO NOT MIX

[Edit by Administrator, JeffT: Removed off-topic portion]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:24:43 pm by JeffT »
Kumoricon 2012??????

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2009, 09:56:58 pm »
I think whining about this stuff doesn't really help. :B Stuff'll happen, and we'll have to deal with it.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline UtadaFan20

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2009, 10:00:26 pm »
How about we deal with it by not supporting it. Everbody sign the petition and hopefully this will not happen.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:02:48 pm by UtadaFan20 »
Kumoricon 2012??????

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2009, 10:08:18 pm »
I agree with Romo, we'll do nothing~

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2009, 10:12:01 pm »
Online petitions matter very little to corporate America. All we're doing by signing this petition is basically sending more hate vibes around and stuff. Why can't we just shut up and deal with it like we do every other movie that comes out? I mean come on guys, it's a movie. The world won't end if someone bad gets in it. xD (And personally I see no problems with who is being considered as is.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:12:33 pm by Romo »
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline kawaiicupcake7

• Cabbit
« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2009, 03:30:37 pm »

Oh My God (yes, it deserved to be typed out). That's the scariest doll I've ever seen. O_o
Kumoricon 2010 cosplays!
Gakuen Seychelles: 100%
Seychelles: 40%
Dark Abyss Alice: 0%
Others? 0%

Offline ZakkKurama

• Sailor Scout
    • Animes Watching: I Need to UPDATE!
« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2009, 03:38:49 pm »
Im actuallly kind of excited for that to happen,
people say i resemble him and i can cosplay light easilllly!
i think he would do just fine..but i dont know if he can be eviiilll lol

Offline shikyo

• Chibi
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2009, 09:05:19 pm »
Ahahaha nice.  :P

Offline Nanao_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2009, 09:31:59 pm »
One of the reasons why there's so much opposition to this idea is that when everyone says Zac Effron, your mind automatically runs to Disney and HSM. You can't continuously think of one actor based on their movie or movies. Actors are supposed to  be able to play the roles they are given, audience members are supposed to clear their minds of the actor's last role and think of them as the current character. 

Give the man a chance, its not like he's tied to Disney anymore anyway, so now he can do whatever he wants.
-----------------------------
The Random Panel of Doom: More adults than you can shake some pocky at.
(RPoD Panelist 2008-2014)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2009, 10:20:36 pm »
to even begin thinking of an american death note, just the changes the scenery and setting alone..
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Transimage

• Sailor Scout
    • ooorangy@Tumblr
Re: ZAC EFRON AS LIGHT?!
« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2009, 12:26:16 am »
Personally, I think he could do a decent job. People surprise you, besides he's a good actor.~

Must agree. I was very surprised in his recent role in '17 Again'. He was a much more versatile actor that I had previously realized.
I say give him a chance.

Offline kayfig

• Cabbit
Re: ZAC EFRON AS LIGHT?!
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2009, 08:15:20 am »
Personally, I think he could do a decent job. People surprise you, besides he's a good actor.~

Must agree. I was very surprised in his recent role in '17 Again'. He was a much more versatile actor that I had previously realized.
I say give him a chance.

I felt the same way after watching 17 Again. I'll admit as readily as anyone that at first glance he may not seem good for more then campy, heavily-marketed Disney Channel musicals, but I thought twice about judging him based only on HSM after watching that. Besides, his hair is almost perfect for Light. Not saying that no one else could possibly achieve the look considering it's not something insane like Vegeta's hair (oh god, Dragonball Evolution, now that's a horrible movie) but it seems like a good fit.

Another thing (and I haven't read the whole forum yet so someone might have pointed this out already) but in the beginning of the manga Light is innocent and boy-next-doorish. Zac Efron's got that without even trying. His appearance is disarming, which is why he'd be a good Light to start off. Now, it's his transition throughout the series from well-intentioned vigilante to psychotic megalomaniac that he'd have to nail.

Besides.

The kind of parodies that could come out of this would be not just EPIC, but legendary.

Offline kittykat1blabla

• Chibi
    • Facebook
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2009, 02:48:19 pm »
I'm more worried about someone who can do a good L, Light is the average goodlooking guy, and he can be captured, his personaillty. But L seems like a much harder person to perfect.
KumoriCon 2015:

>Kuwabara [YuYuHakusho]
>Barnaby Brooks Jr. [Tiger&Bunny]
>Fuu [Samurai Champloo]
>Griffith [Berserk]

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2009, 05:13:02 pm »

Pause.  PAUSE. 

WHAT.  THE.  HELL. 

Okay, I do find Light to be incredibly hot, but not because I think he's a good role model and a beacon of hope, it's because he's a psychopathic asshole.  I wouldn't mind some time with the fictional character, but really... Come on.  COME ON.
and contributing to the topic, I'd like to see if Zac Efron's capable of this.  I would see this if he was cast into the role.  And I think he could look like Light, maybe if he stopped looking curious all the time.  I'm bad at sentences leave me alone
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline mangakaluna

• Chibi
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2009, 07:07:04 pm »

I agree with kayfig :)
He does have the innocent guy act down. I think he could do psychotic megalomaniac |D

I still need to see 17 again...

Offline Transimage

• Sailor Scout
    • ooorangy@Tumblr
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2009, 07:27:21 pm »

..OKAY WHAT.

What's this about Light being a role model? I... Pardon my surprise, please, but that's really not... not what I would call him.

I like to think of it this way.
Light, at first, is actually just... your average college freshman/ highschool graduate. He is devilishly good looking, and a whiz-kid at that. Even there I have no problem with Zac portraying Light. (Seriously, though? He looks the part. Am I alone in thinking that Zac does indeed, if even a little, resemble Light?)

It is his transition that is the most difficult part of Light to portray. IMO, no even the Japanese adaptaton focused enough on that part. Character complexes are the most important part of a character that actors strive to reproduce. This is why the Joker, in The Dark Knight, is such an appealing character. Heath Ledger's Joker was not only the psycotic clown shown in the other Batman movies, but also his past, and an explanation:
"To prepare for the role, Ledger lived alone in a hotel room for a month, formulating the character's posture, voice, and personality, and kept a diary, in which he recorded the Joker's thoughts and feelings."
I'm not saying that Zac Efron is gonna go all out like this. I'm not saying that he will be as awesome as Heath Ledger was as the Joker. What I'm trying to get across is that Zac has the rare capability to show even the subtlest of his characters' schemes. One of the greatest things I was surprised abot in his recent role in 17 Again was his immaculate portrayal of a husband falling (again) for his wife. He forgets himself. And that alone is cause for applause, because, as easy as it sounds that is the hardest thing to do as an actor.

As soon as I lost that image of Zac as just another 'nice-looking guy whose acting skils were overpuffed by Disney', I saw that he definitely has potential to be an incredible actor.

He was just cursed with a face that makes him look eternally 18. XD

Offline kayfig

• Cabbit
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2009, 10:13:41 pm »
Oh no, I totally agree with how accurate he looks for the part! And I agree with everything you said as well. And Light being a role model?

I'm sure he'd like to think so. XD

Offline ZakkKurama

• Sailor Scout
    • Animes Watching: I Need to UPDATE!
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2009, 10:19:23 pm »
Oh no, I totally agree with how accurate he looks for the part! And I agree with everything you said as well. And Light being a role model?

I'm sure he'd like to think so. XD

hahahahah agreeeeed'

Offline Transimage

• Sailor Scout
    • ooorangy@Tumblr
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2009, 10:20:10 pm »

I signed the petition as well and I completly agree with thee above statement. I also agree that American adaption and anything Japanese, Asian, or Chinese DO NOT MIX

I'll admit I lol'd at this.

Cosplay conventions: THE EPITOME OF ASIAN/AMERICAN NESS. :)

Also, did you know that numerous Japanese and Korean blockbuster movies have been remade into American movies (by American people)?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:22:01 pm by Transimage »

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2009, 10:23:33 pm »
I'll admit I lol'd at this.

Cosplay conventions: THE EPITOME OF ASIAN/AMERICAN NESS. :)

Quoted for truth!!!~
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2009, 10:38:20 pm »
I think that, in a way, everyone copies each other. If there's a hit thing that sweeps a country, other countries will try to make their own adaption of it. Ex: Married with Children (USA to UK), The Office (UK to USA), Hana kimi (Japan to Korea), and the list goes on an on.
It's the same for food, fashion, electronics, and just about everything else.
The only thing I'd want is accuracy.
If you're gonna copy something, don't botch it up with a bunch of things that are going to take away from the original storyline (Dragonball movie, anyone? lol).
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2009, 11:39:31 pm »
Death Note: the Musical!

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline BloodyWhisker

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2009, 12:34:14 am »
I think that, in a way, everyone copies each other. If there's a hit thing that sweeps a country, other countries will try to make their own adaption of it. Ex: Married with Children (USA to UK), The Office (UK to USA), Hana kimi (Japan to Korea), and the list goes on an on.
It's the same for food, fashion, electronics, and just about everything else.
The only thing I'd want is accuracy.
If you're gonna copy something, don't botch it up with a bunch of things that are going to take away from the original storyline (Dragonball movie, anyone? lol).

I completely agree with you on this one. u____u
Cosplays for '12:
Homestuck: Sollux - 45%

Offline Edward~xD

• Oni
« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2009, 03:24:19 pm »
(Let him do it! I'll watch it just for the ending. XD)
Black*star 90% (Soul Eater)
Katsura 100% (Gintama)

Offline D-Chan

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2009, 11:10:07 am »
First Disney buys Marvel, then they want to use Zac Efron for Death-Note?!

I think not!
1st con-Kumori-Con 2007
Naruto in chess for 2007 and 2008

2010 - Yumi, Naruto, and Kid Goku
2011 - Hopefully Mr. 6 will make and appearance, and Lupin III.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2009, 11:19:57 am »
DISNEY IS RUINING ALL THAT IS GOOD T^T

we already had one live action movie! (which was good in Japanese but the dub made me want to throw up)
and i just KNOW by americanizing it, the story will be so screwed with we'd never make the connection with the real Death Note except that the titles are the same. I HOPE they don't make a movie like this :-\

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2009, 12:33:56 pm »

I think not!

Wowwwww guys.

You guys are acting like Disney OWNS Zac Efron. It just so happens he got his first big break there, so what? He's a perfectly capable actor, and you're just assuming he's not going to do well because he's been in "family friendly" films. Disney isn't in charge of this production, I'm not sure who is, but still.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline Edward~xD

• Oni
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2009, 02:16:13 pm »

I think not!

Wowwwww guys.

You guys are acting like Disney OWNS Zac Efron. It just so happens he got his first big break there, so what? He's a perfectly capable actor, and you're just assuming he's not going to do well because he's been in "family friendly" films. Disney isn't in charge of this production, I'm not sure who is, but still.
He's still hot. And I still wanna see it happen. =0 XD <3
Black*star 90% (Soul Eater)
Katsura 100% (Gintama)

Offline J BAAMZ

• Oni
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2009, 03:57:44 pm »
I find this 'Zac' a very fine chap. I have seen a few of his films, and by golly, his acting rivals George Baker himself!

Offline Blackstar

• Chibi
    • DA Art
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2009, 07:41:02 pm »
Reason one this is bad:
"I will beat you L. OK LETS BRAKE OUT IN TO A MUSICAL NUMBER." DEATH NOTE IS NOT A MUSICAL ><

Reason Two this is bad:
I do not want to watch this movie while there are preteen Zac Efron fangirl behind me.

Reason three this is bad:

"Like O.M.G. Misa I am like totally going to use the death note. teehee"

Reason Four this is bad:
I do not want to watch this movie while there are preteen Zac Efron fangirl behind me!!!!!!

Cospaly                    Planed cosplay
Near                         Beat (TWEWY)                                                     Pocky Box                 James (Team Rocket)
Blackstar                   Kiba
Soul
Toushiro Hitsugaya   
Jiraya

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2009, 07:51:52 pm »
Wowwwww guys.

I totally agree... I actually don't think he's a HORRIBLE actor, I mean it's hard to really judge someones kills when all you have to base them off is the same roles that he's been type-casted in over and over again.

My worry is more about the rest of the cast, because if they were to get Zac Efron as their "big name" for the movie and then haphazardly fill the rest of the roles, THEN I would get irritated. A movie can't be carried by one person alone.

Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2009, 07:54:03 pm »
Reason one this is bad:
"I will beat you L. OK LETS BRAKE OUT IN TO A MUSICAL NUMBER." DEATH NOTE IS NOT A MUSICAL ><

You guys just can't get over this can you? SO WHAT IF HE WAS IN A MUSICAL? Jiminy cricket people.

@Dubaby

I agree with you there, using him to make a big name for themselves then being lazy is different then casting him and others because of talent.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline Blackstar

• Chibi
    • DA Art
« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2009, 08:36:41 pm »
I just think that Zac Efron dose not fit the anime community.

Personal I like what is different not what is popular. Zac= popular
Near                         Beat (TWEWY)                                                     Pocky Box                 James (Team Rocket)
Soul
Toushiro Hitsugaya   
Jiraya

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2009, 08:38:23 pm »
I'd rather have someone popular do it well, then someone different do it badly.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline Blackstar

• Chibi
    • DA Art
« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2009, 08:47:43 pm »
I'd rather have someone popular do it well, then someone different do it badly.
I have the felling the the director is going to kill the movie. But I would say pull some no name from musical theather and make him Light. Theather always has the best actors.
Soul
Toushiro Hitsugaya   
Jiraya

oslapedo

« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2009, 08:48:59 pm »
^ That's a bit rife with hypocrisy isn't it? Zac Efron's incapable because he was in a musical and yet any no-name theatre actor could surpass him in acting. Hm...

Offline D-Chan

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2009, 11:06:24 pm »
Actually, it turns out that he likes anime and manga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGnmqln78C4

Who da thought that he might be one of us?  Maybe we should invite him to K-con next year and see what happens
1st con-Kumori-Con 2007

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2009, 11:36:25 pm »
Now THAT is cool. It makes me think that him being chosen for the role as Light is an even better idea than before. Better to have someone who has read, and knows, the series over someone who just randomly got selected into the part; right?

Man, I didn't know that. We so should try inviting him next year!~
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2009, 11:37:16 pm »
Now THAT is cool. It makes me think that him being chosen for the role as Light is an even better idea than before. Better to have someone who has read, and knows, the series over someone who just randomly got selected into the part; right?

Man, I didn't know that. We so should try inviting him next year!~
Yes we should...and we should make him cosplay Light XD
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)
Shuichi Shindou (Gravitation EX)

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2009, 12:29:15 am »
Better to have someone who has read, and knows, the series over someone who just randomly got selected into the part; right?

Read, knows, likes, looks like. I think it's perfect and don't understand why people are opposed on such a grand scale to the idea of him playing Light.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline mangakaluna

• Chibi
« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2009, 12:31:06 am »
Just cuz it has the possibility of being a Disney movie (which I doubt it will be...Death Note is kinda dark for "Today's Disney") doesn't mean it's going to be a musical :\
Don't get upset about unconfirmed factors until they truly become an issue.

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #194 on: September 04, 2009, 12:40:08 am »
From the looks of who's producing it...this isn't going to be a Disney movie by any standards. In fact, the people making it mainly create horror films. So you should be more nervous of them turning it into a crappy gore fest than a musical.

I agree with Cassiopeia though, he's perfect for the part so what's the matter guys? Is it really just because he was on disney? He had gigs BEFORE High School Musical and AFTER it too. So I see no problem.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline D-Chan

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #195 on: September 04, 2009, 10:15:58 pm »
He got harassed by Tony in a NCIS episode.  Hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za_mwyOUeKI
1st con-Kumori-Con 2007

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2009, 05:26:43 pm »
He got harassed by Tony in a NCIS episode.  Hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za_mwyOUeKI
I remember that episode!  :D
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline NickelZinc13

• Cabbit
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2009, 10:06:13 pm »
I just hate modern Disney in general.

Apparently, they also bought over Marvel!  >:(
LOOK! IT'S MY SIGNATURE! :D

I lost the game.

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2009, 10:36:58 pm »
Hahaha, oh that's grand!
If you were gay, that'd be okay.

I'm mean cause hey, I'd like you anyways.

Offline PaperShredderchan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2009, 06:37:09 pm »
Actually, it turns out that he likes anime and manga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGnmqln78C4

Who da thought that he might be one of us?  Maybe we should invite him to K-con next year and see what happens
HOLY CRAP! O.O

Wow... that caught me by surprise...

...that's pretty cool! 8D