Author Topic: Homestuck Cosplay 2012  (Read 143953 times)

Offline krystir

• Cabbit
Re: Homestuck Cosplay 2012
« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2012, 09:13:20 pm »
Ahh, help! I'm happy and excited.

I have been doing copious research now for a few days and realized that this will be much more of an undertaking than previously thought. I actually thought about the stocking idea, so I am glad that it's actually viable. I was assuming I'd have to make horns myself, so I was looking up tutorials. But those horns are AWFULLY cheap, which I approve of 0_0 I might end up grabbing a pair and making my own when I have more resources at my disposal.

As for the paint... hmm, I've seen sort of mix reviews about "Ben Nye" (which I will always read as Bill Nye, nbd) but I MAY have found an elegant solution for that as suggested by my friend playing around with makeup. But thank you both for your help :3

Offline zeekaice

• Oni
    • My blog
« Reply #251 on: April 03, 2012, 09:36:00 pm »
Hello all! I stumbled into the cosplay section to see if anyone was going to be doing any Homestuck costumes as I recently got back into reading the comics AND WOW, needless to say I was surprised. Jegus.

I am fairly certain I will be making a Aradia costume, as I am too lazy to get more than one wig this year and with a little bit of basic curling my hair will be good to go.

Mostly I was wondering how other Trolls were making their horns, and if other Trolls were worrying about their skin color as part of their costume. I am pale as the unfiltered moonlight, and it would be easier for me NOT to deal with that unless someone has a quick and easy trick that won't rub off on any unsuspecting bystanders that might get my face run into them. ...or something. That sounded really weird and kind of creepy.
troll horns are best made with model magic and a headband and for the skin there is this body creme called "Ben Nye" (well, thats the brand) you can get in either online or there is a store down town portland. There is also some people who use dyed nigh-longs for their arms.
For my Terezi cosplay (I was only really proud of the horns) I used sculpey and acrylic paints!

I haven't ever worked with model magic, but this is just another option.

Day 0 - Spades Slick
Day 1 - Nervous Broad
Day 2 - Spades Slick
Day 3 - Nervous Broad

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #252 on: April 03, 2012, 09:38:06 pm »
re: makeup, i've heard that kryolan is also good.

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #253 on: April 03, 2012, 10:05:55 pm »
Woops, haven't really been keeping up with this thread.

Auricle and I use Kryalon. It applies faster than Ben Nye, and it's water-based, so it's easy to wash off mistakes. Once you've powdered and sealed it, it just takes some scrubbing with soap and water to get it off. It does take some practice to make it look good, though. I was using grey Kryalon for the test I posted here. I can't remember what the color number is off the top of my head, but I can look it up if someone needs it.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline kittyhumaniod

• Cabbit
« Reply #254 on: April 03, 2012, 11:13:23 pm »
Sadly I would like to report my mother has decided to drop the Mom costume, for she has valiantly decided to go along side my aunt as one the evee evolution for the Pokemon  Gijinka project.  :'-(

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #255 on: April 04, 2012, 02:16:07 pm »
Finally got myself a headband for Rose!

Offline Psych

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #256 on: April 04, 2012, 03:03:20 pm »
Hi! This is going to be my first Kumoricon experience and my third convention altogether (first one was Anime Banzai, the second was Anime Salt Lake; I'm going to be moving to Washington in June (GOOD RIDDANCE, UTAH)), and I'm really excited :D I'll be attending this con as Slick. I'm 90% done with the cosplay, I just need the zentai suit, to make the face on the zentai suit, and the right shoes. The rest of it was found at home, so this is a fairly easy cosplay for me. Next time I'll have to try something more challenging. (I'm never doing a troll again, though, my Terezi cosplay was HORRID.)

I'm excited to see you all at the convention!!

Oh yeah, and my sister is either going to be Gamzee or Vriska. She's nervous about Gamzee, though, because explaining Gamzee to family is kind of strange. I really hope she goes with Gamzee, though.

Hey! You're going to be Slick? Yes! Maybe I will throw together a Snowman costume. If no, I'm definitely going as Bec Noir and we can just be alternates of each other. =D I'm excited.
Wonder Northwest 2012: Chell with Wheatley (Portal 2)
Kumoricon 2012: Jack Noir (Homestuck), Magolor (Kirby), Chell

Offline persium

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • deviantART
« Reply #257 on: April 04, 2012, 05:59:36 pm »
o hai first post on these forums yay

so my friend talked me into being fem!Dave who I have tentatively named Dawn. said friend is going to be fem!John if possible, but might not be able to get that stuff together beforehand. I on the other hand am SO excited since this is my first cosplay and I am gonna rock it ~
uh I'm like 65% done, mostly need to order & alter the shirt and find a wig. though I'm not 100% sure I can go to Kumoricon yet. D:
twewy all day erry day.
2013: Day 0 - FemDirk (Homestuck) // Day 1 - Atarashi
Coco (TWEWY Live/Solo Remix) // Day 2 - Sho Minamimoto (TWEWY) // Day 3 - Raimu Bito (TWEWY)

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #258 on: April 04, 2012, 06:06:48 pm »
You could totally call fem!Dave Dave. Beta Bro is enough of a jerk to name a little girl that just 'cause it sounds cooler.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline CosplayGeek4

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #259 on: April 04, 2012, 08:12:51 pm »
I am sorry to say that I will be unable to go as WV..but i can possibly go as Sis Strider if i get everything done :DD

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #260 on: April 04, 2012, 10:23:07 pm »
i suppose i should mention, my rose lalonde cosplay is officially 100% done and i hope i get to see at least some of you at sakura-con!!

Offline krystir

• Cabbit
« Reply #261 on: April 04, 2012, 10:31:01 pm »
Woops, haven't really been keeping up with this thread.

Auricle and I use Kryalon. It applies faster than Ben Nye, and it's water-based, so it's easy to wash off mistakes. Once you've powdered and sealed it, it just takes some scrubbing with soap and water to get it off. It does take some practice to make it look good, though. I was using grey Kryalon for the test I posted here. I can't remember what the color number is off the top of my head, but I can look it up if someone needs it.

Was wondering how expensive it is to get set up with the makeup and powder and sealer :| because it looks quite nice~ but I am not going to have a ton of money between this and my rainbow dash costume.

ALSO CONGRATS CHIBACHI :3 A finished costume this early is something to be quite proud of.

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #262 on: April 04, 2012, 10:42:02 pm »
I buy my Kryalon at Hollywood Lights. Large cakes (2.5 oz) will last you for a really long time, and they cost $12 each. The small cakes are about $6, and they're .45 oz. I know that doesn't sound like much, but that's a pretty normal amount for all body/face paints.
Sealant can range pretty sharply in price, depending on how big you buy it and what kind of application method it is. Aerosol spray cans, which are the easiest, are also bigger amounts which are way more expensive. For the spray, you kinda have to see it as an investment in supplies, since you'll also be using it for a long time.
You can get powder pretty cheap, since you don't even have to buy it Kryalon brand. Just make sure it's 100% clear, not just translucent.

Hope you Sak people have a good time! I'm holed up at school after doing ECCC last week.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline persium

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • deviantART
« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2012, 08:27:08 am »
I am sorry to say that I will be unable to go as WV..but i can possibly go as Sis Strider if i get everything done :DD

omg if I get to go and you get everything done, I must request to meet you. if you didn't see my post I'm working really hard on a girl!Dave cosplay. the reason for wanting to meet you speaks for itself I hope ~ \o/

@Malaria -- would fem!Dave think being named Dave is cool though? I dunno if I can see that being used actively as opposed to a self-made nickname... can you? I might just be being dumb lol.
twewy all day erry day.
Coco (TWEWY Live/Solo Remix) // Day 2 - Sho Minamimoto (TWEWY) // Day 3 - Raimu Bito (TWEWY)

Offline Oniurufu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2012, 11:09:53 am »
i suppose i should mention, my rose lalonde cosplay is officially 100% done and i hope i get to see at least some of you at sakura-con!!
I made it happen, I'm getting to Sakura-con

Offline krystir

• Cabbit
« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2012, 06:59:54 pm »
Thanks so much for your help Malaria :3 I'll definitely look into that~ Your help is most appreciated.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #266 on: April 08, 2012, 05:56:48 pm »

Offline CosplayGeek4

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #267 on: April 08, 2012, 06:27:52 pm »

omg if I get to go and you get everything done, I must request to meet you. if you didn't see my post I'm working really hard on a girl!Dave cosplay. the reason for wanting to meet you speaks for itself I hope ~ \o/

@Malaria -- would fem!Dave think being named Dave is cool though? I dunno if I can see that being used actively as opposed to a self-made nickname... can you? I might just be being dumb lol.

sounds awesome! I got a pretty nice wig for my Sis Strider cosplay so i just need to get a couple more things o 3 o

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #268 on: April 08, 2012, 08:54:34 pm »
@Saki: You're adorable ;A;
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #269 on: April 08, 2012, 09:02:59 pm »
@Saki: You're adorable ;A;

Thank you so much ;_; You have no idea how much that comment made my day.

Offline CosplayGeek4

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #270 on: April 08, 2012, 09:22:50 pm »

this is the wig and crap :P

yes i was wearing a penguin suit

but i now need a better hat, better glasses, and the clothing. also should i get one of those white Zentai suits? I like the effect of how Hussie had Bro's face and body completely white
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:02:33 pm by CosplayGeek4 »

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #271 on: April 09, 2012, 01:07:15 am »
Hey! What trolls do we have going? Me and some friends are trying to set up a Homestuck skit panel that was canceled at Sakuracon, but a lot of people really wanted to see unfortunately.

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #272 on: April 09, 2012, 07:29:12 am »
I wasnt planning on bringing Terezi this year but if needed I can serve as a backup.
'16 Cosplay

Offline Esif

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantART
« Reply #273 on: April 09, 2012, 08:59:22 am »
Woooh so many people posting :0
I'll be cosplaying Classy/Steampunk!Eridan forsure (anyone who saw the Eridan in the top hat at Sakuracon, that was me)
and I have a couple other possible Homestuck cosplays, but nothing else is final yet o3o
2014 Cosplays:
-Pearl (Steven Universe) 80% complete
-Ilse (SNK OVA) 15% complete
-Secret Cosplay (Soul Eater) 20% complete
- Crow Arrow (Ava's Demon) 99% complete

Offline stencilSparkler

• Cabbit
« Reply #274 on: April 09, 2012, 04:20:14 pm »
Hey! What trolls do we have going? Me and some friends are trying to set up a Homestuck skit panel that was canceled at Sakuracon, but a lot of people really wanted to see unfortunately.

OH MY GOD THAT WOULD BE SO MUCH FUN
now i really wanna see that ;A;

oh also my friend may be going as kanaya in her pink dress, but im not sure she would want to get up in front of a crowd or anything XD
kcon 2012: trickster rose lalonde (homestuck)

Offline CosplayGeek4

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #275 on: April 09, 2012, 04:59:41 pm »
I also may be joining in on the whole Steampunk Idea o 3 o
But i am probably going to be Steampunk!Vriska

Offline persium

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • deviantART
« Reply #276 on: April 09, 2012, 05:57:08 pm »
[pic]

but i now need a better hat, better glasses, and the clothing. also should i get one of those white Zentai suits? I like the effect of how Hussie had Bro's face and body completely white

I think that suit thing would be up to you, haha. who's version are you using?
twewy all day erry day.

Offline CosplayGeek4

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #277 on: April 09, 2012, 09:07:14 pm »
[pic]

I think i like this version best: http://ktysh.deviantart.com/art/Sis-Strider-213001910

Offline Esif

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantART
« Reply #278 on: April 10, 2012, 07:20:39 am »
I also may be joining in on the whole Steampunk Idea o 3 o
But i am probably going to be Steampunk!Vriska

Awesome :3 Can't wait to see how that turns out.
2014 Cosplays:
-Pearl (Steven Universe) 80% complete
-Ilse (SNK OVA) 15% complete
-Secret Cosplay (Soul Eater) 20% complete
- Crow Arrow (Ava's Demon) 99% complete

Offline krystir

• Cabbit
« Reply #279 on: April 10, 2012, 01:51:04 pm »

I'm about 80% sure I'm going as Aradia. So if I'm counted in on anything I can bump that up to 100% :3

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #280 on: April 10, 2012, 02:49:55 pm »
So cool! Relative Interest I see. If you are interested, you should message me so I don't have to sift through posts/interpret/clog up the thread. For reference, we already have for sure Terezi, Sollux, and Gamzee, so if that's what you have, sorry, we're already covered. Thanks guys!

Offline persium

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • deviantART
« Reply #281 on: April 10, 2012, 05:09:38 pm »
[pic]

I think i like this version best: http://ktysh.deviantart.com/art/Sis-Strider-213001910

awesome o: good luck finding all that stuff!

got the tanktop undershirt in common with mine lol. this is the femDave I'm using fyi. or did I post that already? I got permission there, as long as I send some photos when I'm done.
twewy all day erry day.

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #282 on: April 11, 2012, 05:14:44 pm »

hey, do you mind if i ask what happened with that? all i know is that fifteen minutes after the panel was supposed to start and we were still in line, some con staff came out and told us the panel was cancelled because the panelists couldn't be found.

also, i've swapped out dolorosa for the disciple and started working on her horns/gathering patterns for her dress.

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #283 on: April 11, 2012, 11:37:39 pm »

hey, do you mind if i ask what happened with that? all i know is that fifteen minutes after the panel was supposed to start and we were still in line, some con staff came out and told us the panel was cancelled because the panelists couldn't be found.

also, i've swapped out dolorosa for the disciple and started working on her horns/gathering patterns for her dress.

What happened was a lot of misunderstandings and people not sharing information they should have. The panel was canceled a week before Sakuracon even started, (Script wasn't finished, let alone rehearsed.) but for some reason, only the higher ups knew. The Panel coordinator wasn't told nor were the Yojimbos, so everyone thought the panelists jumped ship. That specific script planned for Sakuracon is now being performed at Akicon to my knowledge. The one we have planned for Kumoricon is a slightly altered script with new victims, motives, and alibis to keep things interesting.

Offline stencilSparkler

• Cabbit
« Reply #284 on: April 12, 2012, 07:45:33 am »

What happened was a lot of misunderstandings and people not sharing information they should have. The panel was canceled a week before Sakuracon even started, (Script wasn't finished, let alone rehearsed.) but for some reason, only the higher ups knew. The Panel coordinator wasn't told nor were the Yojimbos, so everyone thought the panelists jumped ship. That specific script planned for Sakuracon is now being performed at Akicon to my knowledge. The one we have planned for Kumoricon is a slightly altered script with new victims, motives, and alibis to keep things interesting.

i have a question about the panel. are there going to be kids in it also, or just trolls?

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #285 on: April 12, 2012, 01:31:32 pm »

i have a question about the panel. are there going to be kids in it also, or just trolls?

No. Just trolls for this one.

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #286 on: April 12, 2012, 08:09:36 pm »

aaaah, okay that makes sense. thank you for clearing that up.

edit: hey so uh. i started a thread for a homestuck panel some friends and i were thinking of running. over here.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:52:05 pm by Chibachi Nero »

Offline stencilSparkler

• Cabbit
« Reply #287 on: April 15, 2012, 03:10:04 pm »
just went and bought a white tshirt and pattern transfer thing at craft warehouse apparently its harder to find plain pink socks at fred meyer then it looks
 i also ordered my wig last week. im finally getting started officially on this costume  :D

Offline persium

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • deviantART
« Reply #288 on: April 16, 2012, 04:03:35 pm »

almost doneeee
just need a wig, the shirt alterations and then potentially contacts ~
twewy all day erry day.

Offline stencilSparkler

• Cabbit
« Reply #289 on: April 19, 2012, 05:35:36 pm »
after the update, im wondering how long itll be until a tavrisprite cosplay is created...

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #290 on: April 19, 2012, 08:22:51 pm »
not gonna lie, i'm considering it...

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #291 on: April 19, 2012, 10:46:31 pm »

almost doneeee
Looks great : D
Have you picked out a wig yet?
(I cant remember if you had said or not ;;;; )
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:46:54 pm by kit2kit »
'16 Cosplay

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #292 on: April 19, 2012, 11:20:12 pm »
I'm just gonna throw up this picture from the 4/15 meetup because I really like it. Fleshy pink Karkat rides again!
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #293 on: April 19, 2012, 11:38:41 pm »
I finally found a really good tutorial for God Tier Rose so hopefully I'll be able to start on her soon.

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2012, 11:21:18 am »
Thank you for the wonderful response to my request for panel members! With all of you guys that volunteered to join the panel, we have found actors for every troll but Eridan. (If you're interested or know someone who would be, message me!)

With that out of the way, I've created a thread for the panel, and I would love it if you Homestuck folks requested some scenes for us to do! A lot of the script is written already, but there are still scenes we want to replace since they're being done at Akicon and who better to ask than the people who are going to the show?

Short version: We need fan request scenes! Post them in the panel thread!

http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=16801.new#new

Offline persium

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • deviantART
« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2012, 04:40:12 pm »

almost doneeee
Looks great : D
Have you picked out a wig yet?
(I cant remember if you had said or not ;;;; )

um I'm thinking about Arda Wigs' Jeannie in platinum blonde and just putting the ponytail into a fluffy/messy bun instead. but I could also get one at Wig N It here in Eugene, the owner there showed me it isn't very hard to use one of those massive butterfly clips (I think that's what they're called) to get the same thing. the one here is $60, and that wig online is $40, but idk how much shipping will be and I don't really have much besides photos of how the wig looks. I'd also probably figure out wtf I need to do to get it to stay on nicely. ahaha, never cosplayed, let alone been to a con before so I dunno what I'm doing when it comes to these newfangled wig things.
twewy all day erry day.

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #296 on: April 20, 2012, 08:40:07 pm »
Persium: Shipping from Arda should be more than $10. I think I paid $8 on my last wig from them.

For wigs, you should be able to Google around for a bunch of wig wearing tutorials, but here are the basics:
Since your hair is so long, you should pin curl it up.
Then put a wig cap on over it. Wig caps are essentially panty hose for wearing wigs. They keep stray hairs from slipping out from under your wig and becoming visible.
Use hair pins (that's a specific kind of pin, not just any ol' pin that goes in your hair) to keep the wig on your head. Bobby pins right in front of your years, and at the front or back will keep it from slipping around. Whether or not you put them on in the front or back depends on where your wig is heaviest. If you've got a big bun or ponytail in back that wants it to pull the wig backwards off your head, you'd put bobby pins at the front to keep it from sliding back.

Also, not wig related, but you should really wear makeup! Even the very basics, like foundation and eyeliner, will make you look much nicer in pictures. It'll keep your skin looking even, and if you start to sweat (Kumoricon is still a summer con, after all) it'll keep your face from getting shiny from grease. I guess eyeliner could be optional since you're being Dave, but if you ever want to take your glasses off, it's important that your eyes don't disappear in all the other big, heavy and bright stuff you've got on.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #297 on: April 20, 2012, 09:53:23 pm »
I'm just gonna throw up this picture from the 4/15 meetup because I really like it. Fleshy pink Karkat rides again!

whoa i saw you there! i was the ms. paint, haha.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:55:03 pm by Chibachi Nero »

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #298 on: April 20, 2012, 10:00:28 pm »
oh heeey! I love that people are cosplaying Ms Paint. <3
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #299 on: April 20, 2012, 10:13:55 pm »
yeah, i saw like 3 or 4 of her at sakura-con! now i just need to find a hussie to take pictures with.