Author Topic: How often do you wash your cosplay?  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Hidamari

• Catgirl
    • Reddsause- fandubs, parodies, and then some!
How often do you wash your cosplay?
« on: July 19, 2009, 12:44:40 pm »
Now is the big question, guys. How often do you wash your cosplay? Every 12 hours you're in  it, every other use, every single time you wear it, even if it's only an hour? Be honest!
Sakuracon~

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Re: How often do you wash your cosplay?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:02:49 pm »
Every use unless I'm staying at a hotel at a con and don't have access to a washing machine.

I also usually try to dry clean my costumes to keep them safe. It's a little expensive but at least I don't have to worry about them getting damaged in the washing machine. I'm really crazy too and wash my wigs after every use unless they are heavily styled.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 01:21:19 pm »
I usually dry clean my cosplays right after the con, since I only have one costume per day. However, there's some things you just can't add water too.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 01:34:50 pm »
If anything gets on Maria, that skirt is getting dry cleaned. I don't trust myself or anyone else with it while a washing machine is involved.

Other than that, I don't have a lot of costumes that survive long enough to need washing. The few that do I wash.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 09:43:21 am »
I always wash everything as soon as I get home from a convention.  I don't bother with drycleaning because I made sure that all my cosplays are 100% washable.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 10:34:19 am »
I've got a tricky apparel item that, after the last time I tried washing it in a machine, is probably going to be getting dry cleaned from now on. I usually don't need to wash it but once a year (as I only wear my costumes to Kumoricon). But basically I would like to wash my costumes after every wear. Most things can be washed in the machine, but that vest may be getting the dry cleaning treatment now as the machine busted a seam last time it was in.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 10:39:35 am »
I tend not to wash mine too much unless my outfit gets dirty or starts to smell something foul. But like EveofAbyss, mine get washed roughly once a year unless needed.
Excluding my gloves which get washed usually after every time I get back from a convention as they get dirty really easily. Though by now I should probably just buy a new pair... :o

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline Mentally Hilarious

• Sailor Scout
    • GaiaOnline
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 10:48:26 am »
My cosplays arent very fragile. I put them in the washing machine after I wear them, but I hang them to dry. Damn dryer eats everything.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 10:53:00 am »
I try to wash my outfits after every use. Instead of sending them through the wash, I'll wash them by hand because I don't trust the machines in my building T,T;
If I'm at a con and don't have time to wash things by hand, I'll usually use a tide pen (which btw works wonders on white suits) and Febreze in a spray bottle.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 10:54:06 am »
Febreeze is a great idea. I need to remember to bring that with my this year. Collective con-funk has a way of permeating your clothes, even if you yourself don't stink, lol

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 10:55:22 am »
i was after every use... unless its a "just finished now i take photos" use or if it cant be washed by my washing machine ;_; *shakes fist at yuna skirt and org coat* i will have to dryclean them soon
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 11:07:09 am »
Hm, I'm one of the people who hand wash and hang to dry. I don't trust the machines enough...
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 12:20:54 am »
Febreeze is a great idea. I need to remember to bring that with my this year. Collective con-funk has a way of permeating your clothes, even if you yourself don't stink, lol
True dat. I definitely recommend it.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 06:43:19 pm »
Ahaha, I rarely ever wash my costumes, lol. I'm not unclean or anything, it's just that I don't really wear my costumes for long periods of time; not long enough to get all sweaty and smelly in them.

And yes, Febreeze is God <3

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 10:30:39 pm »
Ordon Village Link has never been washed, but I never got sweaty in it. It doesn't stink, either so I think it's pretty clean.

Alphonse Elric was cardboard, so that answers that.  I did wash the turtleneck and sweatpants I wore underneith.

Davy... I really want to wash him, but I don't know how. I honestly thinking that a garden hose is the way to go. I'm worried that the mask wouldn't dry and start mildewing. The coat is also a conundrum with the seashells, barnacles, and spray paint. I have a hard enough time keeping the barnacles on as it is.

I guess when my cosplay starts to smell or when it gets dirty I wash it if I can.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"