Author Topic: Keeping your characters with you?  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
Keeping your characters with you?
« on: June 03, 2011, 01:29:34 pm »
When you cosplay a character they tend to become a part of you (or at least that's how it is for me personally), so I was curious if you guys have a way of keeping your characters with you outside of cosplay.

Do you wear pieces of your cosplay casually sometimes? Do you have merchandise of your character that you keep with you?

I'll sometimes wear my Sweeney trench if it's really cold outside, or I'll wear my Sweeney ring occasionally. As far as everyday wear goes I have a Sweeney necklace I wear, as well as a wristband I never go anywhere without. :3

I also think finding ways to keep your character/s with you after a con helps with con depression. I know that it personally helps me a lot.

How about you guys?

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Keeping your characters with you?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:40:45 pm »
I have a couple pieces of jewelry from my Barret cosplay, a Cloudy Wolf ring and a set of dog tags that I wear occasionally.

The best way that I keep my cosplay with me outside of con-time, though, is tattoos. Very soon I will be getting Barret's tattoo, which will obviously always be with me.

I think these little ways of incorporating the character into your own daily life is a great way of not only keeping the character close to you, but like you said, keeping yourself close to Kumoricon and the fandom as well.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:41:22 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 01:44:38 pm »
I wear my vest all the time from my Walter cosplay :3  But one time I was caught wearing only the top to my sakura dancer outfit on love my characters to death sometimes i forget i wear them.

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 01:50:40 pm »
I think these little ways of incorporating the character into your own daily life is a great way of not only keeping the character close to you, but like you said, keeping yourself close to Kumoricon and the fandom as well.

Couldn't have said it any better! Keeping your character with you also means keeping the con memories with you as well. ;) And those memories help so much when the inevitable after-con depression hits.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:57:21 pm »
The closest thing to this that applies to me is that I will occasionally wear my breast forms, just around my college.  I've done it dressed in drag, and a couple of times doing nothing different to my wardrobe.  I even once wore my girlfriend's wedding dress at the college; she was mad because she thought I looked better in it than she did.

Other than those, no, not really.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 01:58:54 pm »

Couldn't have said it any better! Keeping your character with you also means keeping the con memories with you as well. ;) And those memories help so much when the inevitable after-con depression hits.

Much agreed, especially in respect to the after-con slump. Having not been to a con in a couple years, I had almost forgotten what it's like, but I know I'll be experiencing it this year after Kumoricon. That depression can actually get really severe, and doing whatever you can, whether being on the forums or in this case, continuing on in some relative spirit of cosplay, is definitely necessary in soothing that ache for the fandom.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:59:32 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 02:08:47 pm »
Well i have about five keychains now of Russia, and sometimes in the winter i wear the scarf from my Russia cosplay (It keeps me way warmer than the rest of my scarfs). That's pretty much it though. Most of my cosplays don't really have much i can take off of to wear as everyday clothes.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 02:24:35 pm »
to me it's not about wearing anything it's about keeping the character close to your heart, I mean i don't need to wear anything of value from my cosplay to feel like it's there, sometimes I act like the character in everyday life even though sometimes wearing a part of it helps, but acting it out is good as well sometimes i forget that I am doing it too
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:34:51 pm by Jacob_Blackfeather »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 05:08:59 pm »
I suppose I could include a Haruhi Suzumiya shirt that I got from Hot Topic; it depicts Episode 00, which is when Mikuru wore the bunny girl outfit.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 07:22:05 pm »
Ramona Flowers :|

I actually do so many outfits of hers because it makes me a slightly fashionable person. I wear my shorts, sweater, and other little pieces of clothing quiet regularly along with a crap ton of Scott Pilgrim shirts.

I also have a bracelet I wear from SDCC with Ramona and Scotts faces on it everyday.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 07:45:43 pm »
I have a friend who wears his Simon (gurren lagann) jacket sometimes.

I never really wear any cosplay stuff out of cosplay though xD
Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 08:09:24 pm »
I don't often wear cosplay-related stuff but when I do, it's usually something comfy like my oversized Canada sweatshirt.

Now, merchandise is a different story. I always carry with me a Canada and England keychain on my phone, representing not only the two main characters I cosplay but also ship, hehe. <3

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 09:38:27 pm »
I don't wear my cosplay stuff outside of cosplay, really. Sometimes I wear my wigs for s&gs, but that's it.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 11:23:31 pm »
When I cosplayed Athena I made an awesome headband that's yellow with a star on each side. I wear it out sometimes and people always comment on it haha. I wear it when I want to be a badass, like when I go running ;D
I also sometimes use the punk accessories from Roxy.

Not directly related, but I pick stuff sometimes based on whether or not Stocking would like them. It's giving me a huge thing for purple, especially dark purple. I deco'd a pair of purple sunglasses with candy-looking cabochons (in my icon) for her and I love wearing them normally.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 03:37:06 am »
Thank you for making this thread... it makes me feel a little less silly for wearing Hatori Sohma-ish hair year-round. (^_^) It's kinda short right now, but still just long enough to flip over one eye.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 05:09:20 am »
I have a few pieces of Chii fan art on my wall near my computer. ^_^  A couple Chobits plushies, and some keychain charms (though I don't put them on my keychain coz I'm scared they'll break) that Hazuza made for me.  :D

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 10:58:35 pm »
i thought i was weird when i thought that if i wear my gilbert nightray coat outside...
but after reading this thread... it feels like i can finally do it XDDD
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 01:07:43 am »
We're all hopeless nerds here, Zenneth. Feel not ashamed of thy nerditude.  ;D

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 08:56:54 am »
there's a difference between otaku and nerd~~~

i prefer to call myself an otaku XDDD (otaku mangaka but its quite a mouthful) XDDD
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 10:12:52 am »
I actually don't think there's much of a difference at all (not going to get into it here, but nerd is such an overarching title, otaku most definitely falls beneath its umbrella-definition).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 11:12:24 am »
Man this thread is home !

I have to say though .. Roy mustang has been a part of me nore than the other two lovely coslays i have. I live them but Roy has melted my soul ! I often brin the military watch with me since i love pocket watched . Also having a fma t - shirt and sweater .. Lmfao . I have tons of fma stuff :< my love for him is strong.
Im sure that i'll run around with the other characters i have .. Who wouldnt wear jacks coat?
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 05:16:11 pm »
I tend to always wear my peter jacket. when its cold and then i some times wear my lizzy wig alot

Offline JeniOctavia

• Cabbit
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 12:53:51 am »
I've only seriously cosplayed last year, and planning to this year, and sadly nothing of my Gakupo cosplay from last year (save the boots) happens to be good for everyday use. I WISH I could wear my jacket more but ohgod that thing is sweltering even in cold weather.

This year, though... well, I already have a love of fedoras, and one of the cosplays I'm planning on has just that. So there's something I do wear around just on its own.

But really... one of the characters I'm doing several variations of also happens to be a character I've played on Livejournal RP for almost three years now! She's already close to my heart (and my mind)!

Offline Shingami_lover

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 10:34:48 pm »
I will ALWAYS have apart of Sasuke on my now... I have his curse mark tattooed to me in the right location...
~2016~
Sasuke Uchiha, Kanda Yuu
Touka, Michiru,
and Haha

~Panels~
Anime Court 16, 14, 13 - Chess Master 2014

DicePanda Cosplay, Cosplayers of Oregon, Brothers United Productions

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 04:49:17 pm »
assassin cosplays is in my soul~!!! i wanna cosplay rikimaru sometime soon... so far i have cosplayed assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins in my assassin cosplay roster... i needs more XD

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 04:50:23 pm »
I love to wear my wigs always :3

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 05:27:57 pm »
I always wear my wigs whenever I feel like it. And most of my cosplays are casual enough that I can just wear parts of them out and about.
I also like to get a button or keychain of the characters I cosplay to keep them with me ^^
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 06:46:00 pm »
new thing I seem to tend to wear parts of my charaters becuse my clothing are mixed with cosplay along with other things one day i had peter gun in my bag and i didnt know how it got there =.= yeah toy gun in a store big nono

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 06:47:47 pm »
I love to wear my head dress I have for sakura once in a while or running around with necklaces and earings of my characters as well.

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 06:57:32 pm »
i like to wear my Matryoshka Gumi jacket around town XD

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 09:48:00 pm »
i lost my trap button TT_TT