Author Topic: Need recommendations for a manga translation group to join  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Need recommendations for a manga translation group to join
« on: June 27, 2005, 11:55:24 pm »
Lately I've been thinking it'd be good more me to get in some practice with my Japanese by joining an online manga-translating circle. However, I am not really very involved in the manga scene at present, and that means that by the time I "discover" a series I like, usually it has already been licensed, or perhaps even made into an anime and licensed. :P

...So I need some suggestions. What new manga are just now being discovered by English-speaking fans who want it to see the light of day over here? Is there anything you're really anticipating that is still practically unknown?

I posted a general offer to volunteer on a relevant site's forums, but most of the requests were for doujinshi translations and stuff that was already licensed and/or commercially translated. Or it was for a project that sounded way too hard for me. :? I need something simple to start with, like... say.... aimed at high school or younger.

Right now I'm not sure whether I'd want to try joining a fansubbing group. Aural translation can be tricky.

Any ideas...?
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 12:36:19 am »
I believes Powell's books sells some untranslated manga, but I have no idea which of them are any good.  only other items that I know of is Tenchi Muyo doujinshi and novels, but then I have no idea if they're high school or not.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 03:46:25 am »
Ah, thanks, but it'd be better to say that I'm looking for a group in need of a new member, rather than starting my own project. I know for a fact there are groups out there that need help; I just want to find a group that is translating something that's unlicensed and non-doujinshi. :)

The groups I've found so far are doing all sorts of projects, so it'd be best to know what I'm getting into (i.e. subject matter) before dedicating...

Apollo Justice

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 04:06:15 am »
I have a lot of manga that I bought in Japan but for some reason I can't think of any of the titles right now. ><  As soon as I do I'll recommend a few to you.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 04:53:50 am »
Thanks! :) That's a start... if I look for synopses by searching for titles, I may be able to make a match with something that's about to be translated.

Tomorrow I'm going to look into Akatsuki's projects. We'll see how that goes.

Apollo Justice

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 06:36:07 pm »
Alright, I found a few manga that I'll suggest to you....

One is called "Shinseiki Evangelion Koutetsunogaarufurendo sekando."  I guess the best way to describe this one is that it's almost like a doujinshi of Evangelion but it's official.  There was a video game in Japan that was like a dating-sim game with the Eva characters.  You played as Shinji and you could choose to go after Rei, Asuka, or Kaoru.  It's a short series that's only four books long and the last book came out early 2005.  (by Hayashi Fumino)

The other is another doujinshi-like book.  There's a Phantom Brave manga made by Douman Seiman (not sure where the space goes on the name).  Again it's short.  However, unlike a lot of the other anthology books out there, this one was done by the same artist.

I still have a lot more manga but only now do I realize I mailed them all home because I couldn't fit them all in my luggage.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 03:56:34 am »
Quote from: "Negima"
Alright, I found a few manga that I'll suggest to you....

One is called "Shinseiki Evangelion Koutetsunogaarufurendo sekando."  I guess the best way to describe this one is that it's almost like a doujinshi of Evangelion but it's official.  There was a video game in Japan that was like a dating-sim game with the Eva characters.  You played as Shinji and you could choose to go after Rei, Asuka, or Kaoru.  It's a short series that's only four books long and the last book came out early 2005.  (by Hayashi Fumino)

The other is another doujinshi-like book.  There's a Phantom Brave manga made by Douman Seiman (not sure where the space goes on the name).  Again it's short.  However, unlike a lot of the other anthology books out there, this one was done by the same artist.

I still have a lot more manga but only now do I realize I mailed them all home because I couldn't fit them all in my luggage.

That Evangelion girlfriend manga got liscensed by ADV. Kinda bothersome since I was at around volume two. Argh.

Well, Radien. Personally, I think Akatsuki would be awesome. I love how they do Black Cat, aswell as how they did Tsukuyomi - Moon Phase. Oh, and I was hoping they'd get through He Is My Master, but that (and Tsukuyomi) got snagged by Tokyopop.

Aside from Akatsuki, I also like Anime-Waves (http://www.animewaves.net/). They have a LARGE amount of projects and I am pretty sure at this time they're seeking Japanese translation help.

>__>@Anime-Waves site.

Whee, Koi Kaze chapter 29! There is a god! :D

Ahem *Comprises himself*

Other good groups I enjoy are ShoujoMagic (for all your Shoujo needs), Inane (for all your....well, Demon sealed inside a Ninja needs), and a few others.

http://manganews.net/ Is a good reference site thats kind of like Anime Suki, keeping lists of releases aswell as scanlators. They do not list liscensed material, by the way. So feel free to scan the scanlators list and find one that appeals to you.

When you do your first work, I'd be happy to read it. :D

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 09:57:10 pm »
Quote from: "Dustin"

That Evangelion girlfriend manga got liscensed by ADV. Kinda bothersome since I was at around volume two. Argh.

For the love of...

I would have bet anything that it wouldn't be licensed.

Okay, another one I just thought of (though I'm not 100% sure of the title) is called "Brafman" ("Burafuman").  It's made by Renga or Rengaworks and the manga company is CR comics.  I recommend it for the artwork.