Author Topic: Big dissappointment, wont be attending next year...  (Read 22930 times)

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Re: Big dissappointment, wont be attending next year...
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 06:25:16 pm »
much like a parent is conected to a child
but that does not make the child the parent or vice versa
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 07:56:33 pm by kylite »
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 06:32:42 pm »

Wut? You speak like a politician you know.

*edited to match above post*
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 07:56:58 pm by kylite »

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2009, 06:34:32 pm »
I am not sure what argument you are refering to in terms of Sak-con...

But, I will let you know that you needn't worry about Kumoricon becoming
Sakura-con. At least not in the close years. We don't have the funding, the
backing, the attendance rate or staffing to be that big. We also have the
problem of being too close to Sakura-con to justify being just like them.

They are an industry convention - meaning they do a lot of stuff that is primarily
run by industry reps and leaders. You wont see many panels there done by
fans or about fan stuff. What you will see is a lot of great info from some of the
best up-and comming Anime/Manga creators, VA's and artists out there as well
as previews and exclusives that you might not get elsewhere. There will also
be a lot of people and a lot more activity. Thats just what being a big convention
industry grown is all about.

WE are a fan based convention - meaning our clients in panel and artists alley and
vendors hall and everything we do are very low key, low budget and high effort
groups. We do panels about anything and everything, have many different types of
Guests of Honor and a decent number of activities for our size. As far as I understand
it we do NOT get corporate funding from the big Anime companies, we do NOT have
Funamation/bandai/gainax logos all over our staff shirts and K-con merch cause they
don't pay us to be involved. WE sometimes pay THEM to have some small amount of
their content and in return we get cool viewings or giveaways or whatever we may
ask for. And it's all up to them what we get. Most of the stuff is all run by fans for fans.

That wont change for a good long time, especially because of Sakura-con. Two main
stream industry cons just could not function in this area, not yet anyway. We'd be
fighting all the time for content and guests and sponsors and it would be a nightmare,
and a battle that we'd end up loosing because we would be fighting Sakura-con, who
HELPS us with most things, and are also already in contracts and negotiations with
these companies, they would not be likely to break contract with a bigger and better
convention, if we were to switch over.

Other than that I'm not sure the bad vibes you get from Sakura-con. Everything is run
differently, and as far as I've seen Sak may share some of our staff and board, but they
have a different way for everything! (or almost everything) because everything they do
is done differently then how we have to do it... their influnce is more of a leg up then
an elbow in the way...

It's just kinda hard to see that cause we are in the shadow of our big sister! I know it's
hard to see the bright shinny new day, because problems will always occur... years of
epic fail will happen and dreams will be crushed into athousand pieces.... but we are like
the pheonix... and the rainbow after the storm clouds! We will arise anew! we will defend
whats ours! And no one can take that belief in the future of our very own Portland/Oregon
convention away from us! NO ONE!!!

*takes a breath*

....what was I saying?

Oh yeah... don't stress Sakura-con, it's just a different kind of ramen up there!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2009, 12:56:14 pm »
I am not sure what argument you are refering to in terms of Sak-con...

But, I will let you know that you needn't worry about Kumoricon becoming
Sakura-con. At least not in the close years. We don't have the funding, the
backing, the attendance rate or staffing to be that big. We also have the
problem of being too close to Sakura-con to justify being just like them.

They are an industry convention - meaning they do a lot of stuff that is primarily
run by industry reps and leaders. You wont see many panels there done by
fans or about fan stuff. What you will see is a lot of great info from some of the
best up-and comming Anime/Manga creators, VA's and artists out there as well
as previews and exclusives that you might not get elsewhere. There will also
be a lot of people and a lot more activity. Thats just what being a big convention
industry grown is all about.

WE are a fan based convention - meaning our clients in panel and artists alley and
vendors hall and everything we do are very low key, low budget and high effort
groups. We do panels about anything and everything, have many different types of
Guests of Honor and a decent number of activities for our size. As far as I understand
it we do NOT get corporate funding from the big Anime companies, we do NOT have
Funamation/bandai/gainax logos all over our staff shirts and K-con merch cause they
don't pay us to be involved. WE sometimes pay THEM to have some small amount of
their content and in return we get cool viewings or giveaways or whatever we may
ask for. And it's all up to them what we get. Most of the stuff is all run by fans for fans.

That wont change for a good long time, especially because of Sakura-con. Two main
stream industry cons just could not function in this area, not yet anyway. We'd be
fighting all the time for content and guests and sponsors and it would be a nightmare,
and a battle that we'd end up loosing because we would be fighting Sakura-con, who
HELPS us with most things, and are also already in contracts and negotiations with
these companies, they would not be likely to break contract with a bigger and better
convention, if we were to switch over.

Other than that I'm not sure the bad vibes you get from Sakura-con. Everything is run
differently, and as far as I've seen Sak may share some of our staff and board, but they
have a different way for everything! (or almost everything) because everything they do
is done differently then how we have to do it... their influnce is more of a leg up then
an elbow in the way...

It's just kinda hard to see that cause we are in the shadow of our big sister! I know it's
hard to see the bright shinny new day, because problems will always occur... years of
epic fail will happen and dreams will be crushed into athousand pieces.... but we are like
the pheonix... and the rainbow after the storm clouds! We will arise anew! we will defend
whats ours! And no one can take that belief in the future of our very own Portland/Oregon
convention away from us! NO ONE!!!

*takes a breath*

....what was I saying?

Oh yeah... don't stress Sakura-con, it's just a different kind of ramen up there!

~Allykat

I hope ThiefKingsHier will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what he might be saying is: Because a lot of people who work for Sakura-con also work for or work with Kumoricon, there's a danger of attitude poisoning. (Not just attitude problems created by the situation.)

From working for WAY too long in retail, I think he has a very legitimate concern - the "bad apple" principle, i.e. one bad apple can spoil the whole barrel. Person 1 is having a bad day and does ABC wrong thing. People 2 and 3 see this and thinks that DEF isn't so wrong, since someone's getting away with ABC. People 4, 5, and 6 see others getting away with ABC and DEF, so is it really that bad to do GHI? And so on... it quickly downspirals, because what "someone else" is doing always looks worse to us than what we're doing.

But I'm not as worried about it as it might sound, because I believe we already have the antidotes to this in place: 1) People who believe the best of each other; 2) A responsibility-based hierarchy rather than a power-based one. This can be exasperating in its own way, I admit - it's horribly frustrating to bring up legitimate concerns about what a staffer is doing wrong and immediately be greeted with "Well, they were probably just having a bad day" or "Were they being provoked?" But it means that instead of spreading like wildfire (i.e. the above scenario), nasty behavior tends to get damped out very quickly.

Attendees don't see it, because staff don't want to publicly trash-talk each other, but people who repeatedly act like jerks will get privately asked about it. Most of the time, that itself will be enough to encourage them to tone down. When it's not, usually the person will find themselves increasingly isolated until they either shape up or ship out. It's not an absolute solution - but absolutes work very poorly in a volunteer environment. They're best left to the workplace, where the relationships are ones of power... and I have serious doubts about how effective they are even there. It may not be very heartening to know that so-and-so who yelled at us won't get "written up" for it. But the alternative is to try to make it a hire/fire scenario, with the board being the "owners" and the directors being the "managers," and whoever the directors don't like will get "fired." That would be an absolutely sure-fire way to ruin Kumoricon.

People don't generally "work" without "reward." At Kumoricon, the reward is feeling like you're making the world a better place for your con family, for people you care about. In the workplace, the reward is money. Take away both, and what do you get? The only staff who'll be willing to stay without getting paid will be the ones who get the "reward" of bossing others around. To get an idea of how well that works, try watching the way ill-paid prison guards usually treat those under their care.

I'm glad that we have the system as it is now, with the board being more like chaperones and the directors being team leaders who work with their groups instead of bossing them around or arbitrarily deciding who will get "hired" and who will get "fired." It keeps things warm and caring, like a family rather than like a workplace. Sometimes it means that jerky behavior doesn't get stomped on immediately, and that attendees won't get the "vindication" of watching the person who treated them badly get humiliated. But it works a lot better than the alternative. Try to force power into the equation, and you'd very quickly end up with power-tripping staffers who would make the worst of the hotel staff this year look like saints.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:09:46 pm by randompvg »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2009, 01:12:26 pm »

Wut? You speak like a politician you know.

*edited to match above post*

Hope you don't mind the applied translation, kylite, but:
A saintly parent may have a jerkarse child.
A jerkarse parent may have a saintly child.
Sometimes parents learn from children's mistakes, and vice versa.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2009, 02:38:59 pm »
works for me, tho sounds less cryptic *grins*
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2009, 03:03:53 pm »
works for me, tho sounds less cryptic *grins*
there is that BAness we were talking about >.>

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2009, 06:49:56 pm »
not on my watch it doesn't
Nor will I let it happen on my watch either.  I have done my best in the years to help kylite with the squad and train them into a crack team.  Sometimes people work well in the role of Yojimbo, sometimes they don't.
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2009, 07:09:54 pm »
@ Randompvg & TheifKingsHeir:

To be honest, I don't quite understand all the internal politics associated with
Sakuracon that make us worry about "attitude poisioning" which, I think, means
that the cold hard and perhaps sometimes very corporate feel of Sakura-con
(I make no judgements eitherway mind you, everyone I've met from Sak has
been super friendly and fun!) may one day infiltrate our little sister convention
of Kumoricon by way of the volunteer staff that we share?

If I am right in this deffinition then I feel my previous answer stands; we are just
too different. That would be like saying just because my brother gets tired of
drawing art and complains about how stupid drawing anime is and how he prefers
to do graphic design so much more, that this in turn might push me towards the
career of graphic design as well. I feel this couldn't be further from the truth!

Think of it this way; our conventions are fundamentally different, a relatively
different clientel, (with some percentage of overlap) and different panels and offerings.
This means that when a staff from Sak works at Kumo, they are getting a different
experience altogether. Imagine if the con staffing year is aproximately 7 - 8 months
long, there may be 2 months or so (depending on position) of overlap in duties but
every 6 months your main focus is a completely different type of convention! Sure
booking vendors and permisions and planning out fire exists and the like are going to be
the same (except for venue!) but the basic programing, relations, publicity and operations
of these conventions are handled very differently! And while my brother may loan me
his tablet or give me a copy of his art software... I certainly don't use it the same
way he does. Likewise, we may get some loans from our big sister to the north, but
how we handle the day to day use is still primarily up to us.

Think of us kinda like a refuge for the staff of Sakuracon, and think of Sakuracon as
a practice for the staff here at kumoricon. We are a bit smaller, easier going and very
fan oriented so it's a much more laxed situation (but not too lax!) whereas they have
a large attendance group, more events to plan and put on and a lot more industry work
to put together, which gives our hard working staff a great deal of practice at seeing
what will need to be done to make K-con run even smoother every year!

Attitude poisoning can really only happen if you let it. If you are tired of doing the job,
it'll show in your work ethic and people will not want to be around you. K-con is a fun
loving group and we subconciously disconnect from those who want to bring us down,
if you are getting tired of your job and it starts to show, it seems to me that the
rest of the staff will do everything they can to slide you out and put someone in who
can do the job. But that takes volunteers, and while we are doing everything we can
to utilize the ones we have to the best of our abilities, like any even we can always use
more volunteers!

I really hope that makes sense, we are the 2 sides to the same coin, anime conventions
with two different outlooks on anime, and in that effect we are actually perfect for
eachother. I wont say it again, cause I just keep floating on in my happy circular logic,
but I'm sure you get the idea. Negativity breeds negativity and as long as there are people
who WANT to have a good time and want to make the convention amazing and fun, the
negativity wont stand a chance to breed in our ranks, and new Anime fans are being born
every single day, coming of age and getting ants in their pants at the very thought of
volunteering at the conventions... so... we just have to go out and harvest the willing and
provide the attendees with the show of there lives!

Man... is it just me or do I have a tendency to create the old "Wall o text" when I get going?

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2009, 12:02:11 am »
demanding people stop taking shonen ai photos.
You say this like it's a bad thing.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2009, 12:02:59 am »
demanding people stop taking shonen ai photos.
i was waiting for you to find this thread.
this is not the context i thought it would be in though xD

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2009, 08:04:12 am »
@ Randompvg & TheifKingsHeir:

To be honest, I don't quite understand all the internal politics associated with
Sakuracon that make us worry about "attitude poisioning" which, I think, means
that the cold hard and perhaps sometimes very corporate feel of Sakura-con
(I make no judgements eitherway mind you, everyone I've met from Sak has
been super friendly and fun!) may one day infiltrate our little sister convention
of Kumoricon by way of the volunteer staff that we share?

If I am right in this deffinition then I feel my previous answer stands; we are just
too different. That would be like saying just because my brother gets tired of
drawing art and complains about how stupid drawing anime is and how he prefers
to do graphic design so much more, that this in turn might push me towards the
career of graphic design as well. I feel this couldn't be further from the truth!

Think of it this way; our conventions are fundamentally different, a relatively
different clientel, (with some percentage of overlap) and different panels and offerings.
This means that when a staff from Sak works at Kumo, they are getting a different
experience altogether. Imagine if the con staffing year is aproximately 7 - 8 months
long, there may be 2 months or so (depending on position) of overlap in duties but
every 6 months your main focus is a completely different type of convention! Sure
booking vendors and permisions and planning out fire exists and the like are going to be
the same (except for venue!) but the basic programing, relations, publicity and operations
of these conventions are handled very differently! And while my brother may loan me
his tablet or give me a copy of his art software... I certainly don't use it the same
way he does. Likewise, we may get some loans from our big sister to the north, but
how we handle the day to day use is still primarily up to us.

Think of us kinda like a refuge for the staff of Sakuracon, and think of Sakuracon as
a practice for the staff here at kumoricon. We are a bit smaller, easier going and very
fan oriented so it's a much more laxed situation (but not too lax!) whereas they have
a large attendance group, more events to plan and put on and a lot more industry work
to put together, which gives our hard working staff a great deal of practice at seeing
what will need to be done to make K-con run even smoother every year!

Attitude poisoning can really only happen if you let it. If you are tired of doing the job,
it'll show in your work ethic and people will not want to be around you. K-con is a fun
loving group and we subconciously disconnect from those who want to bring us down,
if you are getting tired of your job and it starts to show, it seems to me that the
rest of the staff will do everything they can to slide you out and put someone in who
can do the job. But that takes volunteers, and while we are doing everything we can
to utilize the ones we have to the best of our abilities, like any even we can always use
more volunteers!

I really hope that makes sense, we are the 2 sides to the same coin, anime conventions
with two different outlooks on anime, and in that effect we are actually perfect for
eachother. I wont say it again, cause I just keep floating on in my happy circular logic,
but I'm sure you get the idea. Negativity breeds negativity and as long as there are people
who WANT to have a good time and want to make the convention amazing and fun, the
negativity wont stand a chance to breed in our ranks, and new Anime fans are being born
every single day, coming of age and getting ants in their pants at the very thought of
volunteering at the conventions... so... we just have to go out and harvest the willing and
provide the attendees with the show of there lives!

Man... is it just me or do I have a tendency to create the old "Wall o text" when I get going?

~Allykat

I could be wrong, but I think we're saying the same thing from two different angles for why it's not going to happen at Kcon - your "subconsciously disconnect from those who want to bring us down" -> my "find themselves increasingly isolated", and my "nasty behavior tends to get damped out very quickly" = your "negativity won't stand a chance to breed." For that matter, we both parallel kylite and Hawkeye's "not on my watch." And from my experiences in science in grad school a lifetime ago, two or three separate lines of reasoning leading to the same conclusion are much more powerful than one. (^_^)

And, yeah, Allykat... wall o' texts are a terrible, horrible thing to do! I'd never do that myself...  ::)  More seriously, your passion is a good thing. If you ask me, it's line of reasoning #4 for why Kumoricon will stay Kumoricon.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2009, 10:25:56 am »
lol! awesome! I like it when people have the same feelings as me!
(Or when I have the same feelings as people!)

As I say... GO TEAM K-CON!

Hey, and you are right, the more people with different paths to
the same conclusion seem to verify the end result! It's good
logic!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2010, 01:12:10 am »
 Yah, this is really late but  I Haven't been here in a while.

Alley kat - ( Don't really want to quote your entire 'wall of text'

I get see what your saying and I do agree. It's like Kind of like the difference between AX and Fanime.

But like AX and Fanime-my concern is the same. AX is falling apart. Surely some of it's staff will want a job with Fanime. As AX has a bigger name (and possibly more experience) they could be placed in higher positions giving them more power. Thus there will be no slow poisoning just an immediate overhaul.

See this kind of intolerance and demanding that EVERYONE else stop doing something that you don't like is what destroyed SC.

On this topic-someone on SC suggested a yaoi photo shoot.  I told them we should take it outside to avoid trouble.That post was deleted as was' 'slander'. I know, this isn't the a place for 'telling' on others but I consider it more of a lesson on what NOT to do.

Alleykat, I believe you now NO convention could possibly become as bad as this..I truly hope.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2010, 09:14:37 am »
I personally feel that K-con was simply overwhelming to the hotel staff & caused a lot of confusion...that was the reason(although still wrong) for the poor attitude & treatment of con-goers. I also agree with most, & my impression of K-con was not the best(2009 first K-con)...but I have faith that the bugs will be worked out. My G/F & I have already booked our room & registered. As with anything, when there is a big change all of the sudden, you have to expect some glitches in the new system. Give K-con staff a chance to show you that the con you have always loved is still there, just going through some changes to help accomodate the growing popularity of the event.

As for the hatred for Sakura-con...I must say I just don't understand why lol. I have had nothing but fun there. Not to mention, Seattle is an amazing city so there is a lot to do elsewhere when you are killing time until your next panel.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 07:03:08 am by Cyprus »

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2010, 04:11:21 pm »
I personally feel that K-con was simply overwhelming to the hotel staff & caused a lot of confusion...that was the reason(although still wrong) for the poor attitude & treatment of con-goers. I personally agree with most & my impression of K-con was not the best(2009 first K-con)...but I have faith that the bugs will be worked out. My G/F & I have already booked our room & registered. As with anything, when there is a big change all of the sudden, you have to expect some glitches in the new system. Give K-con staff a chance to show you that the con you have always loved is still there, just going through some changes to help accomodate the growing popularity of the event.

As for the hatred for Sakura-con...I must say I just don't understand why lol. I have had nothing but fun there. Not to mention, Seattle is an amazing city so there is a lot to do elsewhere when you are killing time until your next panel.

Yah, I have no intention of letting it ruin my overall opinion of KC. The 'glitches' were just too much of a hassle for me ( mostly because I HATE rain and there was not much room inside) I may not attend next year but I have every intention of retuning after that.

Well the example i stated pretty much sums up SC as a  whole.
 Sure, SC is great as long as you don't ever suggest/do anything they don't approve of. I live right in down town Seattle above the Uwajimaya. I love my city and wouldn't want live anywhere else.
It's embarrassing that this great, culturally diverse, open-minded, exciting city has such a convention represent it.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2010, 07:08:07 am »
I have friends & family up there that I visit whenever I can so I spend quite a bit of time there already...so I think I am also a bit biased in my opinion of Seattle. But as for Sakura-con, I guess I haven't had any confrontations or anything to give me a negative vibe...I hope that your future experiences are better.

As for K-con, I'm glad to hear that you aren't giving up on it for good! They need all the support they can get to make these changes & any future changes go more smoothly.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2010, 08:04:29 am »
Yah, I have no intention of letting it ruin my overall opinion of KC...I may not attend next year but I have every intention of retuning after that.

My feelings precisely. I'm taking a year off, but I still love Kumoricon and it is a community that I don't want to shut myself off from. I love what Kumoricon brings to my life. I just want to spend a year "on the bench", so to speak, and let the kinks get straightened out before I become active again.

So many of the issues I had were venue specific, in no way bound to Kumoricon itself, so when the locale changes, I'll be back.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:05:04 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2010, 09:27:43 am »
I can honestly say that I have stayed at Hilton hotels many many times & have always had nothing but the best of service. My G/F's dad travels a ton & is able to put us up in Hilton hotels for free when we travel & we love it. I think that they just weren't ready for what was to come. Now that they have an idea what to expect & that there will be a cap on registrations, I think this year will go much smoother.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2010, 10:12:29 am »
I think that limiting the number of people will help a lot. I also think that not double booking the hotel will help a lot too XD

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2010, 11:12:07 am »
I think that limiting the number of people will help a lot. I also think that not double booking the hotel will help a lot too XD
Oh ya...almost forgot about that part...that would definately be a good thing lol.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2010, 01:29:38 pm »
Oh ya...almost forgot about that part...that would definately be a good thing lol.

Yup, which is what we have made sure of as team this year. We have the main tower almost exclusively to ourselves.

(I say almost because of course there are going to be random individuals who may have a room or two here or there
that we don't use, but no big groups!)

I really like this, it makes movement in the elevators, stairways and walk ways make more sense because time tables and
events will keep things running smooth as possible where people want to go to certain "destination" events or panels and
can get there with the flow of traffic!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2010, 05:07:12 pm »
its easy to complain about what didnt work, its hard to get  involved and try to fix it
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline ZombieFace

• Sailor Scout
    • Jailbreak Designs / Photography
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2010, 04:02:36 pm »
I am not sure I will be attending this next years KumoriCon.  I have gone the last 5 or 6 years and it is my home con, but nearly the entire experience was jaded for me.  I stayed in the other hotel across the street that was MUCH MUCH more friendly to exit and enter.. However, I had friends in the main hotel and I could not go visit their room AT ALL because the lines for the elevators were soooo so bad.

Every time I think I may want to come I remember this photo I took that summarized the con:

I was photographing like crazy at the con this which allowed me to meet a great amount of new people and get many great shots.. It's just too bad that the main topic of conversation was the complaints and horror stories.   

I suppose it just depends..  *sigh*

~JailBreak Photography~
www.jailbreakdesigns.com

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2010, 07:23:08 pm »
I'm surprised the cop guy didn't let you guys off the hook because of the scantily-clad ladies. I mean, I'm sure he doesn't see that type of thing often. xD

oslapedo

« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2010, 07:25:55 pm »
Haha~

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2010, 10:14:08 pm »
I personally feel that K-con was simply overwhelming to the hotel staff & caused a lot of confusion...that was the reason(although still wrong) for the poor attitude & treatment of con-goers. I personally agree with most & my impression of K-con was not the best(2009 first K-con)...but I have faith that the bugs will be worked out. My G/F & I have already booked our room & registered. As with anything, when there is a big change all of the sudden, you have to expect some glitches in the new system. Give K-con staff a chance to show you that the con you have always loved is still there, just going through some changes to help accomodate the growing popularity of the event.

Yah, I have no intention of letting it ruin my overall opinion of KC. The 'glitches' were just too much of a hassle for me ( mostly because I HATE rain and there was not much room inside) I may not attend next year but I have every intention of retuning after that.

Well the example i stated pretty much sums up SC as a  whole.
 Sure, SC is great as long as you don't ever suggest/do anything they don't approve of. I live right in down town Seattle above the Uwajimaya. I love my city and wouldn't want live anywhere else.
It's embarrassing that this great, culturally diverse, open-minded, exciting city has such a convention represent it.

Yeah, Sak's pretty terrible.

I mean, all that culturally relevant stuff they do, and the fact that they are opening up more 18+ programming. It's like they don't listen to anyone these days.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2010, 03:50:15 pm »
Yeah, Sak's pretty terrible.

I mean, all that culturally relevant stuff they do, and the fact that they are opening up more 18+ programming. It's like they don't listen to anyone these days.

Dont forget how often they help out smaller conventions in the northwest, and their proffessionalism in the greater convention and japanese industry. They really make you feel like with $25 bucks and a bucket of nails you could make a much better convention ^_^

Everyone is always going to have their own opinion, and things are going to get on someones nerves that actually make the convention for others, it's the way of life. I can't convince everyone that, for seperate reasons, Sakuracon is amazing, and Kumoricon is too. It's not possible, because life happens, and you wont always get the superb experience I have had. (Also, most people aren't as sickly optimistic and easily enthused as I am, which tends to make their critiques harsher)

I say, whatever you feel, good... feel it, but remember that thats your opinion from your experiences, and that new experiences could change that feeling, and you should never count out an oppourtunity only because of past experiences. The future is what should be most important.

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2010, 07:26:36 am »
I say, whatever you feel, good... feel it, but remember that thats your opinion from your experiences, and that new experiences could change that feeling, and you should never count out an oppourtunity only because of past experiences. The future is what should be most important.

~Allykat
THIS^  ;)