Author Topic: Hetalia World Meeting 2011!  (Read 179236 times)

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
Re: Hetalia World Meeting 2011!
« Reply #750 on: April 21, 2011, 03:04:37 pm »
Exactly my point. Never even once in the anime or manga has any of the characters refered to another nation as nothing other than that nation's name (unless it was an insult such as calling Italy an idiot or something else). Though, considering it's a comedy/parody anime with humanized countries, i don't think there's any real need to be serious about names here.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #751 on: April 21, 2011, 03:18:14 pm »
Okay, that's a very good point.  Personally, it's mainly a thing about being confused about who's who and why doesn't every character have a name.  I saw that Ukraine doesn't have a name when I was looking up info on possible cosplay characters, and it baffled me.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #752 on: April 21, 2011, 03:34:45 pm »
My guess is that Himaruya was just being lazy and didn't feel like comming up with names fr such minor characters. I'm sure that if Ukraine ever comes back into the storyline a few more times, he'll probably come up with some name.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #753 on: April 21, 2011, 04:22:59 pm »
...I guess that makes sense.  btw, do you know America's name?

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #754 on: April 21, 2011, 04:23:52 pm »
Yup, It's Alfred F. Jones.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #755 on: April 21, 2011, 04:25:10 pm »
That's actually not too bad.  I was expecting the name to be atrocious; I'm glad to see that I am wrong on this.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #756 on: April 21, 2011, 04:48:43 pm »
Yeah, i rather like the names that were given to the characters. They fit them pretty well...

Offline Akahata

• Cabbit
« Reply #757 on: April 23, 2011, 01:48:30 pm »
Himaruya has actually officially stopped giving names to characters, I'm pretty sure.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #758 on: April 23, 2011, 02:57:19 pm »
I suppose it'd make sense.  If he wasn't going to do it from the beginning, then there's no point in doing it now.

Offline Shi_no_Akuma

• Chibi
    • I'm not here I'm on Tumblr
« Reply #759 on: April 23, 2011, 06:19:42 pm »
He pretty much was doing it from the beginning. He stopped as it was confusing people, and he never picked it back up for that reason.
Tumblr | Next Con: Fanime
.:As:.
☆ Porrim Maryam ☆ Mami Tomoe ☆
☆ Roxy Lalonde ☆ Jade Harley ☆
☆ The Disciple ☆ Aradia Megido ☆
☆ Maggie Lacivi ☆

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #760 on: April 23, 2011, 06:27:10 pm »
Yeah, it confused me a bit at first too ^^; It's not exactly something that you really need to know about the series, considering the only time their human names are used is in the fandom.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #761 on: April 24, 2011, 06:13:32 pm »
Makes sense.

Say, something that I still don't understand about the fanbase is the concept of the "Bad Touch Trio."  My girlfriend did a little research on it and said it probably had to do with a war in the mid-1700's in which Spain, Prussia, & France were allies.  Other than that, I see no logical reason to pair these three in such a manner, especially to give their "group" such a name.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #762 on: April 24, 2011, 06:18:51 pm »
I really think you should stop questioning a fandom that comes up with something like "five meters"...

Offline Shi_no_Akuma

• Chibi
    • I'm not here I'm on Tumblr
« Reply #763 on: April 24, 2011, 06:53:53 pm »
^Pretty much that.

It really isn't worth questioning things that have been there for years. They have their reasons for being in place, even if the actual thing they're based on is minuscule.
The Bad Touch Trio is more widely known as the Bad Friends Trio, anyway~
Tumblr | Next Con: Fanime
.:As:.
☆ Porrim Maryam ☆ Mami Tomoe ☆
☆ Roxy Lalonde ☆ Jade Harley ☆
☆ The Disciple ☆ Aradia Megido ☆
☆ Maggie Lacivi ☆

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #764 on: April 24, 2011, 06:57:06 pm »
So, what you're saying, is that you refuse to provide genuine answers to a genuine question.  Way to represent.  Also, "five meters"?  My girlfriend and her sister are huge fans of the show, and neither of them have a clue as to what you were referring to.  And it hasn't been "there" long enough to have their "reasons" established.  If you don't wish to go into the reasons, fine, but don't be rude about it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 07:10:47 pm by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #765 on: April 24, 2011, 07:28:02 pm »
What the Hell? We're not being rude, we just can't answer it for you. The Hetalia meme of "five meters" came up in a chatroom somewhere years ago. That is the only information in exsistance about it.
There are so many memes out there that just come out of nowhere. I personally have no idea where the term "Bad touch trio" came from, i also have no idea where the term "Spamano", "Gilbird", or "Germancest" came from ether. We cannot answer a question that has no answer.

And by the way, "5 meters" refers to Prussia's genitalia, "Spamano" refers to the yaoi pairing of Spain and N.Italy, "Gilbird" refers to the little bird that flies around Prussia's head, and "Germancest" refers to the yaoi pairing of Germany and Prussia.
Again, i have no idea where these terms started at.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 07:31:18 pm by Saki-the-cat »

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #766 on: April 24, 2011, 07:32:47 pm »
Washougal: From what I can recall, the bad touch trio idea came from the fact that the characters Spain, France, and Prussia are potential pedophiles. France with various characters (mostly his intense attraction to a young Romano, wanting to own him) Spain with Romano, and Prussia with Germany. At least this is what I've come to understand, thus they came up with the term "bad touch."

The five meters refers to the supposed size of Prussia's, well...nether regions.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 07:40:09 pm by sandrobotticelli »
Kumoricon 2013:
Neophyte Redglare- Homestuck
Madame de Pompadour- Le Chevalier D'Eon

Offline Taikei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #767 on: April 24, 2011, 07:54:26 pm »
Washougal, calm down a bit, no need to insult. Sometimes we can't just answer your questions. There will always be a new meme or phrase, and maybe no one knows what it means. Saki was just pointing out that sometimes your questions won't have answers..

Like I have no idea why all my hetalia-loving friends call America's ahoge 'Nantucket, Tenessee' when Nantucket is actually in Massachusettes. I just don't bother. I liked the fact that thhe main characters had names, mainly cause of the N & S Italy part..I find myself calling them by their human names more often than their country names.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 07:54:56 pm by Taikei »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #768 on: April 24, 2011, 10:22:28 pm »
What the Hell? We're not being rude, we just can't answer it for you.
I personally have no idea where the term "Bad touch trio" came from
And by the way, "5 meters" refers to Prussia's genitalia

You sure came off that way.  You could have simply stated "I'm not sure; sorry."

Washougal: From what I can recall, the bad touch trio idea came from the fact that the characters Spain, France, and Prussia are potential pedophiles. France with various characters (mostly his intense attraction to a young Romano, wanting to own him) Spain with Romano, and Prussia with Germany. At least this is what I've come to understand, thus they came up with the term "bad touch."

...that must be from the manga or a game, because none of them came off to me as potential pedo's (except for MAYBE France, but even that seems like a stretch) in the anime.  Thank you for providing an answer, though.

Washougal, calm down a bit, no need to insult. Sometimes we can't just answer your questions.
Like I have no idea why all my hetalia-loving friends call America's ahoge 'Nantucket, Tenessee' when Nantucket is actually in Massachusettes.

I'm sorry if it looked as if though I made an insult (though I don't see where).  If people don't know, they could have said so.  If they have theories or heard rumors, they could have said those.  Instead, I was advised to stop asking questions.  To me, that is an insult, especially when my question is an attempt to understand a frame of mind that I don't understand.  I was just looking for some sort of info, no matter how feint.  As for the Nantucket, Tennessee, unless the starters had a reason for their geographical blunder, it was most likely a case of forgetfulness or unfamiliarity.  I could believe that it may have even been started by a non-American, which would make the unfamiliarity part seem more probable.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #769 on: April 25, 2011, 12:03:52 am »
@Washougal_Otaku
If you actually read Shi_no_Akuma's post, you might have understood it better:
^Pretty much that.

It really isn't worth questioning things that have been there for years. They have their reasons for being in place, even if the actual thing they're based on is minuscule.
The Bad Touch Trio is more widely known as the Bad Friends Trio, anyway~

If it doesn't make sense, it's a meme, and it came from the Hetalia fandom, it's very likely that you won't know exactly where it came from. Also, there's a huge list of fan terms on the Hetalia Wikia websight, so i would suggest looking there.
Also, i wasn't trying to come off as refusing to help you. If i did refuse, i would stright up tell you that i don't want to tell you that much. I was only stating that you shouldn't really be worrying about where memes start in a fandom such as this. It's like slang words, no one knows who the first person was who said it, but all we know is that a ton of people say it now because it got popular.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #770 on: April 25, 2011, 01:16:28 am »
I did read it, but I also know that a lot of memes CAN be explained.  In fact, most of them (at least the ones that I'm familiar with) can.  I think your understanding of the word "meme" is a little inaccurate.  "A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another."

Many slang terms can be traced back to their roots, too, such as "groovy," "homey," "Catch my drift," and "square."  It's really a matter of investigating.  There's even a term that I remember hearing in an old Chip n' Dale's cartoon, in which Chip called himself a gay dog.  It was a term used at the time that can be compared to playa'.

I think we ought to agree to move on from here.

Going back to the point of this thread, I'm thinking about looking into (the real) Liechtenstein's stance on many of the proposed subjects, such as marijuana and stuff.  I think it'd make the panels more interesting that way...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:18:48 am by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #771 on: April 25, 2011, 01:29:49 am »
True, but it would still take far too much unnecessary effort to find out exactly where a fan made internet meme came from. For the most part, things such as Russia's pipe or the Youtube meme of "nice Florida" can easily be explained because they can be easily found, terms that come from message boards and chatrooms would be much harder to find considering maybe 50 to 100 out of the thousands, possibly millions of Hetalia fans out there know exactly who and where that term was first used.

Also, speaking of pot (and getting back on subject). I heard a few days ago that the entire country of Canada is going legalize Marijuana. So that might be an interesting subject to bring up if that actually happens.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:32:05 am by Saki-the-cat »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #772 on: April 25, 2011, 04:00:26 am »
...good point.

I'm willing to bet that it will pass before the con, depending on how far along the process is.  I think I'll take this opportunity to look into the stuff I was thinking about doing for Liechtenstein now...

:o Look what I found in the process of my research!
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2010/07/snoop-dogg-tried-to-rent-liechtenstein/19406/

Does anybody know German?  (Maybe I could ask a German instructor at Clark...)
http://www.recht.li/
http://www.gesetze.li/Seite1.jsp?clearsvs=true&clearlrs=true
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:15:51 am by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline Taikei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #773 on: April 25, 2011, 03:22:02 pm »
The first link is called "Recht" which means rights and the title of the page "Lieber Besucher, liebe Besucherin"

Which can mean Lovely visitor (male), lovely visitor (female) or...you could substitute lovely for kind, nice, beloved..

"Nunmehr unterhält die Regierung des Fürstentums Liechtenstein unter „gesetze.li“ die gleichnamige frei zugängliche Anwendung. Diese deckt die Bedürfnisse der breiten Öffentlichkeit sehr gut ab. Daher lag es für uns nahe, die „recht.li“ zugrunde liegende Datenbank für professionelle Rechtsanwender auszubauen.

Nunmehr finden Sie neu unter.

*link*

die erste umfassende Rechtsplattform zum liechtensteinischen Recht"

Henceforth maintains the Government (administration) Fürstentums Liechtenstein under "Legeslation.li" the same free accessible use (I'm not sure of what). This covers the needs the massive public. Therefore it was in favor for us to expand the "Rights.li" underlying database for professional practitioners.

Now you will find recent (new content) below

*link*

The first comprehensive Legal Platform(?) to Liechtenstein's rights.

(I'm guessing on parts of this, and using a German dictionary for nouns I'm not familiar with D: Don't quote me on any of this)

Offline Taikei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #774 on: April 25, 2011, 03:25:44 pm »
The second link, I don't know what you want translated on that XD The main content on that page is a definitions thing for helping you search. ( i think)

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #775 on: April 25, 2011, 09:30:23 pm »
Five meters comes from an LJ icon post on the comm a few years ago stating the average penis length in each country. As a joke, the creator put "5 meters" for Prussia's, and it caught on.

It's actually pretty easy to find this info.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #776 on: April 25, 2011, 09:44:01 pm »
^

*applauds*

Thank you for bringing this to a close. (^_^)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #777 on: April 25, 2011, 09:49:15 pm »
You're welcome! Gah I was afraid you'd posted saying I was being inappropriate.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #778 on: April 25, 2011, 10:19:04 pm »
I don't know what you want translated

Well, for starers, I was hoping to get the word for marijuana, and type that into the search feature on the site.  Then, see if someone can find what Liechtenstein's legal stance is on pot...

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #779 on: April 26, 2011, 03:08:42 pm »
Marihuana, Hanf, Haschisch, Cannabis. .

Liechtenstein considers marijuana an illicit drug, though. Source.

I don't mean to sound rude, but most of this information you can get through a search engine.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #780 on: April 27, 2011, 01:33:38 pm »
Yeah, unfortunately, I've been having a difficult time finding anything that actually answered my questions.  I looked at ask.com, google, yahoo, and bing.  Maybe I just suck at this...

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #781 on: May 02, 2011, 07:03:41 pm »
Currently watching a crapton of videos on how to do a Russian accent. Slowley getting the hang of it.

Will update when i get it somewhat perfect.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #782 on: May 02, 2011, 09:50:50 pm »
^ Now that's determination!  I applaud you!

So, I don't remember who recommended it, but there's a flag store nearby the Lloyd Center Mall called Elmer's.  They have many flags, but sadly enough, no Liechtenstein.  Even if they did, they charge $79 dollars for a 5'x3' flag! :o I think I'll take a look at eBay, or something, after all...

Offline sushisoap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #783 on: May 03, 2011, 10:36:43 am »
That's crazy! Those must be some fancy ass flags.
We have an army store here that sells them for under $5. Not an amazing selection, but still.

Amazon.com too, has all kind of flags you could ever want.
2012 cosplays:

0% done // 5% done // 0% done

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #784 on: May 03, 2011, 01:56:56 pm »
I think they were, too.  It's the only thing that'd make sense to me.

Where is this store?  I'd like to check it out.  Even if they don't have what I'm looking for, it may be possible that they could get it...

I'd like to try to avoid the internet, if possible.  I've never purchased anything from Amazon; I assume I can get stuff with credit cards rather than eBay, which would be nice...  (I wonder what else I could find).

Update: It looks like I can purchase stuff straight from my checking account... I'm liking this idea.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:27:45 pm by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline sushisoap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #785 on: May 03, 2011, 04:17:53 pm »
White City. Near Medford. ::) They might be able to order one for you, I've never asked.
But yeah, there are several options for paying online. <3 If you get more into it, I suggest getting a Paypal account. *thumbsup*
2012 cosplays:

0% done // 5% done // 0% done

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #786 on: May 04, 2011, 02:20:41 pm »
I have a PayPal account already, and I hate them.  It's their customer service department, mainly, but there's other things about them that have led me to hate dealing with them.

I'll try looking them up and seeing if they'll not only order it but mail it up here to Vancouver, because there's no way I'd be able to make it down there.

Offline AgehaIX

• Catgirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #787 on: May 04, 2011, 02:32:53 pm »
Okkkkkkkkkkkkk since I transfered my Scotland to someone who is a way better scotty boy then I am, I shall probably be Rome for both. SO PUT MEH DOWN FOR ROME~~! <3 Instead of scotland... though scotland will probably still be there.. maybe..
kcon 13': Ranma Saotome, TBA, TBA

Offline saki-sempai

• Chibi
« Reply #788 on: May 19, 2011, 06:38:02 pm »
So!
Wales isn't happening right now. Still in the plans. Not for this con.
Can you put me down for Lithuania for both?
K-con 2015-
Lamento: Asato
KnB: Aomine Daiki
TnC: Gunji
Possibilities-
Something from persona, something from SNK, possibly DmmD?

Offline Chibiorochimaru

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #789 on: May 19, 2011, 09:36:13 pm »
You got it~ I Very much approve of more baltics.
La vie est le plus beau spectacle sur terre~

Offline KyoKyo866

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #790 on: May 19, 2011, 09:46:06 pm »
More baltics for me to molest! <3 hurray!
KC '16 Cosplays:
Sweden [APH] - Nearly Done
Germany [APH] - Uncertain
Modern Day Russia [APH] - Done
Lolita - Done

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #791 on: May 19, 2011, 11:03:53 pm »
*Russian high five*

Offline Chibiorochimaru

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #792 on: May 20, 2011, 12:23:36 am »
oh dear >o> Do not want....
La vie est le plus beau spectacle sur terre~

Offline saki-sempai

• Chibi
« Reply #793 on: May 20, 2011, 08:40:54 pm »
...... O-oh my..... -clings to chibi-
Any Russia should remember one thing though. -laughs- I'll probably be taller than you. <3
K-con 2015-
Lamento: Asato
KnB: Aomine Daiki
TnC: Gunji
Possibilities-
Something from persona, something from SNK, possibly DmmD?

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #794 on: May 20, 2011, 08:47:37 pm »
...Probably OTL I was one of the shortest Russias at K-con last year.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #795 on: May 20, 2011, 11:34:41 pm »
Hmm....I'm curious about something. Would it possible for SATW characters to be a part of this?

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #796 on: May 21, 2011, 07:38:37 am »
Any Russia should remember one thing though. -laughs- I'll probably be taller than you. <3
Ha! It's true. You towered over me at Sakuracon. Tall Prussia and my tiny lil' Russia ffff.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:28:52 am by sandrobotticelli »
Kumoricon 2013:
Neophyte Redglare- Homestuck
Madame de Pompadour- Le Chevalier D'Eon

Offline KyoKyo866

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #797 on: May 27, 2011, 10:04:07 am »
@Saki, I would think so o.o hetalia or SATW it's still a country~

btw for ya'll, for the >18 panel I decided to host as Germany~ So be afraid! Very afraid! Muwhahah!
KC '16 Cosplays:
Sweden [APH] - Nearly Done
Germany [APH] - Uncertain
Modern Day Russia [APH] - Done
Lolita - Done

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #798 on: May 29, 2011, 12:02:17 am »
Well if that's the case, i think i might switch to Sweden for this insted ^^;

Offline Nando-KiT

• Bunnygirl