Author Topic: Facebook - The Epitome of Pointless Social Networking?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Facebook - The Epitome of Pointless Social Networking?
« on: October 19, 2010, 05:12:20 pm »
You've gotta love when a basic notion - let's say developing a well-interfaced means of communicating with people you might not otherwise communicate with readily - gets blown out of proportion and driven into obscurity by commercialization and society's natural desire for attention.

I check my Facebook account more than I check my email now.  I make significantly more communications per day via Facebook than I do with my phone.  It's a fantastic resource for sharing my unique momentary thoughts, posting song lyrics for my peers to critique, planning events, remembering birthdays, connecting names to faces, and just keeping in touch with people in general.  But then there's the completely pointless crap: "Dear Facebook, I just ate a bagel."  "That test SUCKED."  "Going to sleep now; good night all!"  "Im so drunl rughy noe hahha i lofr youj facerbokk :))))" et cetera.  We've all seen stuff like that, and even worse: we all POST stuff like that.  You even see it here.

A lot of people recognize how pointless it is, but maybe it's not pointless.  When I'm not sleeping (8 hours per day) or at school/out and about (6 hours per day average), I'm on the computer.  Not necessarily actively on Facebook, but if I'm on the computer I have Firefox open with tabs for Facebook, Kumoricon, Meebo, and sometimes gmail, wikipedia, and a few other sites.  That means I spend about 10 hours per day on average existing, to some degree, in cyberspace.  My means of human contact are partly or entirely dependent on my connection to the internet.  The funny thing about cyberspace is that it's like a cave, and empty cave, devoid of everything except the wires that connect us and a very small window upon which we can display anything our resources can produce.  We have complete control over whom and what we see through this window, and a moderate degree over what we can present for others to see, but it's up to them to actually see it.

So let's say that that median 70% of the population - everyone within 1 standard deviation of the mean - spends anywhere from 6 to 10 hours per day "wired in" (likely a conservative estimate).  That means that 1/3 of our existence takes place in cyberspace, 1/3 takes place in dreamland (where we have only our own psychosis to keep us company), and 1/3 takes place in the "real world".  It's an introvert's paradise - an extrovert's nightmare.  Most people aren't completely introverted or extroverted though.  In fact, most people are very balanced.  They like to have a balance of time completely alone, time among others, and time with controlled contact.  The internet represents controlled contact.  What used to be time home alone with the family is now time home alone with the internet.  Since the 1/3 divisions have become so widely standard for most people, that puts the folks who lean more heavily towards extroversion in a pickle.  It's socially awkward, in the cyber age, to make up that difference in societal needs through family contact, so the extroverts find an outlet.  Those who are heavily extroverted, like myself, live through sites like facebook, constantly IMing 3-5 people at once, posting status updates all the time, and reading 300+ status updates, links, et cetera DAILY.  The more moderate extroverts aren't so extreme, but they can be far more annoying.  A quiet shout for attention can often be a lot more obnoxious than a loud and energetic party animal.

And thus you get the flood of frequent, trivial status updates, worthless forum posts, and "wasted time."  However, it's all there for a reason.  What we usually see as droll annoyances are really a valuable means of retaining universal social sanity.  Just figured I'd share my thoughts.  How about yours?
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Re: Facebook - The Epitome of Pointless Social Networking?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 05:33:10 pm »
Could you type up a Cliffs' Notes version of this or something? D:  I'm too busy social networking to care about anything else in my life.

Internet is probably the biggest and best/worst addiction in my life.  It has greatly expanded my knowledge and exposed to me things I never would have known.  I am a much more intelligent person as a result.  However, I'm also more shy now.  I could be doing other things besides, you know, constantly refreshing "Recent unread topics."

IRC was my biggest addiction for many years.  I don't go on IRC as much anymore.  I just have a client connected 24/7 remotely that I'll occasionally log in to to check and see if anyone messaged me, haha. 

Lately, I just check Kumoricon, Gmail, Facebook, and talk on AIM and MSN.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:36:40 pm by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 05:36:12 pm »
Oddly enough, I actually tried to keep this brief.  This would be a great time for me to have to do a 30-page persuasive essay or something.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 08:11:10 am »
You've gotta love when a basic notion - let's say developing a well-interfaced means of communicating with people you might not otherwise communicate with readily - gets blown out of proportion and driven into obscurity by commercialization and society's natural desire for attention.

I check my Facebook account more than I check my email now.  I make significantly more communications per day via Facebook than I do with my phone.  It's a fantastic resource for sharing my unique momentary thoughts, posting song lyrics for my peers to critique, planning events, remembering birthdays, connecting names to faces, and just keeping in touch with people in general.  But then there's the completely pointless crap: "Dear Facebook, I just ate a bagel."  "That test SUCKED."  "Going to sleep now; good night all!"  "Im so drunl rughy noe hahha i lofr youj facerbokk :))))" et cetera.  We've all seen stuff like that, and even worse: we all POST stuff like that.  You even see it here.

A lot of people recognize how pointless it is, but maybe it's not pointless.  When I'm not sleeping (8 hours per day) or at school/out and about (6 hours per day average), I'm on the computer.  Not necessarily actively on Facebook, but if I'm on the computer I have Firefox open with tabs for Facebook, Kumoricon, Meebo, and sometimes gmail, wikipedia, and a few other sites.  That means I spend about 10 hours per day on average existing, to some degree, in cyberspace.  My means of human contact are partly or entirely dependent on my connection to the internet.  The funny thing about cyberspace is that it's like a cave, and empty cave, devoid of everything except the wires that connect us and a very small window upon which we can display anything our resources can produce.  We have complete control over whom and what we see through this window, and a moderate degree over what we can present for others to see, but it's up to them to actually see it.

So let's say that that median 70% of the population - everyone within 1 standard deviation of the mean - spends anywhere from 6 to 10 hours per day "wired in" (likely a conservative estimate).  That means that 1/3 of our existence takes place in cyberspace, 1/3 takes place in dreamland (where we have only our own psychosis to keep us company), and 1/3 takes place in the "real world".  It's an introvert's paradise - an extrovert's nightmare.  Most people aren't completely introverted or extroverted though.  In fact, most people are very balanced.  They like to have a balance of time completely alone, time among others, and time with controlled contact.  The internet represents controlled contact.  What used to be time home alone with the family is now time home alone with the internet.  Since the 1/3 divisions have become so widely standard for most people, that puts the folks who lean more heavily towards extroversion in a pickle.  It's socially awkward, in the cyber age, to make up that difference in societal needs through family contact, so the extroverts find an outlet.  Those who are heavily extroverted, like myself, live through sites like facebook, constantly IMing 3-5 people at once, posting status updates all the time, and reading 300+ status updates, links, et cetera DAILY.  The more moderate extroverts aren't so extreme, but they can be far more annoying.  A quiet shout for attention can often be a lot more obnoxious than a loud and energetic party animal.

And thus you get the flood of frequent, trivial status updates, worthless forum posts, and "wasted time."  However, it's all there for a reason.  What we usually see as droll annoyances are really a valuable means of retaining universal social sanity.  Just figured I'd share my thoughts.  How about yours?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:36:05 am by Cyprus »

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:57:45 am »
Man, Cyprus.. not cool, dude.. why are you trying to make me choke on my food because of laughter? ;<

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 12:23:43 pm »
The pros of FB: I've had some chats w/folks (some for nostalgia, some for flirting, some for actually getting projects accomplished expeditiously) that were more comfortable, more swift, and more able to be kept for reference (cutting & pasting their content into a message to myself) by virtue of taking place on FB than if I had had to wait until I could reach said individuals by phone or in person.

I've gotten to see photos of friends, their families, and loved ones who have recently died (may they rest in peace), that I would not have been able to see.

I've shared information about various activist causes....whether anything other than awareness is raised I don't know.

The cons of FB: I've known so many relationships that broke up over cheating that started on FB that I can't even count them. It's a huge timewaster (I ultimately had to give up Farmville). The $ made off it is mindboggling.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 02:41:43 pm »
Man, Cyprus.. not cool, dude.. why are you trying to make me choke on my food because of laughter? ;<
It seemed like the right thing to do. :P But I don't wish death on you bro...my bad...

On a more serious response though...I have been against the idea of having my own FB or myspace page for years. The only reason I recently got one was to keep in touch with all the friends & family that seem to keep scattering as time goes on. It's nice to finally be back in touch with family & friends that I haven't seen in ages. Also, it is great for helping me to remember birthdays that I always seem to forget as well as plan get-togethers or remember events.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 03:02:49 pm »
That's pretty much how I was.  I was pretty resistive to the notion of social networks, but the more I got into them the more uses I got out of them.  Being able to make an event page for my next concert and invite 300 friends is a pretty valuable tool for me.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 04:06:45 pm »
Me toooo! I was all 'SOCIAL NETWORKING'S FOR SQUARES' and then I joined facebook and it's a fun way to talk to people. :c How rude to change my mind. Hmph.
I miss 2010.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 04:40:02 pm »
^ That was me as well.

I only joined Facebook to talk to people from marching band. ._. Now I'm on there a lot.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 01:17:44 am »
My facebook visits declined like the stock market of 1929 after I graduated from college. I remember I was on FB hourly + during lectures + "potential study time" oh boy... 
My workplace blocks facebook and it's the last thing on my mind when I'm finally home. Have I finally lost the social attraction to bookface?!?!?!

MAYBE!

NOT.

:3
And so it begins...

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 12:19:28 pm »
Keep in mind, Facebook is social networking, and magically eliminating it will not take away the cons. If not facebook, then twitter, if not twitter, then mass text messaging.

It's my opinion, all the senselessness on facebook is from those people on facebook. The only thing preventing them from saying random annoying things in real life is it makes you look mean to shun them with typed words than weird IRL looks :P

I keep myself in check by thinking to myself: Would I say this to my friends in real life?
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 02:34:45 pm »
OP: 100% agree. I'm all for life IRL. Meetups ftw.