Author Topic: Being known for a certain cosplay.  (Read 11740 times)

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Re: Being known for a certain cosplay.
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2010, 11:41:55 pm »
@Trumby: I know you most for your Firo and Snowtrooper.
Firo, because it was the first cosplay I saw you it and I knew it was you.
Snowtrooper, because I was at the parade thingie last year, that you were in, and I found out it was you, thanks to your MySpace. >>
Haha, well, I suppose my newer friends probably know me for Firo. I have a lot of friends that know me for Greed though.

And haha I remember that. We're doing it again this year. It's actually this Saturday :P
Nuh uhhhh. I know you as Fiiirroooo. :D
..haha, same thing I said to Cloudy! :P
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline CloudStrife32

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook, yo!
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2010, 11:49:54 pm »
And haha I remember that. We're doing it again this year. It's actually this Saturday :P
If I feel like standing around for hours, like I did last year, I'll head down there, just so I can see your Stormtrooper, again~ :3
~Sakuracon '13~
Leon S. Kennedy [Resident Evil 6]
Paperman [Paperman]

Offline Blackstar

• Chibi
    • DA Art
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2010, 11:57:37 pm »
People know me as Black*Star and that who people love me as XD Who that is why I do him at lest once every con I go to. I don't hate being know as him I embrace it
Cospaly                    Planed cosplay
Near                         Beat (TWEWY)                                                     Pocky Box                 James (Team Rocket)
Blackstar                   Kiba
Soul
Toushiro Hitsugaya   
Jiraya

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2010, 12:16:19 am »
From what I remember, reppy, that was kind of your goal ;) You were pretty excited when putting together Man!Chii.

haha.  Well, she is my favorite character.  XD  I like if people remember me, but I guess I do feel kind of bad since a guy crossplaying will get more attention than a girl cosplaying the same character.  Which isn't really fair but I guess it's a novelty, so...

I go pretty much gaga for any person cosplaying as Chii, regardless of gender. xD

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 01:12:18 am »
I know I'm known as Spain and Kyouya. Because I wear those costumes a lot.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 01:25:57 am »
*thinks a bit* I don't think people really remember me for anyone since I kind of bounce around who I cosplay. I've been Roxas at pretty much all Kumori's, but I've also been Yuna and been steadily changing both costumes so it's hard to recognize me I think. Maybe people point at me as Roxas and go ZOMG IS A SHORT ROXAS WITH AN OK WIG?! *shrugs* I've never really been stopped for pictures a lot so I wouldn't know what I'd do with all that attention.

I do know though that I recognize others by their costumes. I know one gal here by her Alice costume cause she's gorgeous in it!
But it's kind of like if I'm not keeping up on the forums to see who'll be wearing what, or on dA, then I'm not sure I'll recognize them in a different costume at con. I know I remember the samurai armored guy, and the lovely Garnet and Yuna from last year. But I also remember the interesting ones- like those halloween town KH characters that had intricate costumes.

*thinks again* ... But really, there always are the faces in the crowd that just 'oh yeah they're in cosplay' but don't get pictures taken of. I'm guilty of looking at some cosplayers like that, or that there's SO MANY of that one character, or that there's too many people in my way. I end up wanting to take a fair amount of long-distance shots of cosplayers at cons- and I did it a good amount last year....

But it's rude, and odd if you're heard even, to yell down over the banister "FLONNE!!! LOOK UP HERE!! PICTURE PLEASE?!" from like 50 feet away....
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2010, 12:37:53 pm »
I like if people remember me, but I guess I do feel kind of bad since a guy crossplaying will get more attention than a girl cosplaying the same character.  Which isn't really fair but I guess it's a novelty, so...

I've found that male cosplayers in general tend to get more attention, since a lot of male characters are played by crossplaying females, especially the less 'manly' characters. When people (generally fangirls) see their favourite male character cosplayed by an actual male... it makes sense if you understand the way a fangirl's mind works. xD;
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2010, 02:00:09 pm »
I've certainly noticed that.  A lot of Kenshin and Edward Elric cosplayers are female.  In fact, I'd say they outnumber the male cosplayers.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2010, 11:05:33 pm »
That brings up a good point. I crossplay a fair amount, but I'd totally count as a chibi cosplayer for most, cept if I ever did Edward Elric again- then I'd be so accurate people'd glomp me if I was noticable enough. Again, if.
But that said, I'm always impressed to see guys cosplaying at all. Maybe I'm just blind, but it seems like most cosplayers I know as friends or see at cons are girls. I think I know only two or three guy cosplayers personally, and there have been some I've seen at cons again and again, but they seem far and few between.
Kumori'15

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2010, 03:47:49 am »
hmm.....I suspect I known as that straight guy who crossplays a lot.  nothing specific.  just crossplays.

I was rather surprised how that seem to take hold though.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2010, 06:12:31 pm »
Hehe, I'm now known at my school for wearing a lucky star cosplay on random days.
That is just about it though...
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2010, 06:21:44 pm »
I guess the only thing our group was known for was Those-people-who-hang-out-in-the-fancy-bathrooms. O.o

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2010, 06:47:55 pm »
people know me as either hojo or Japan and i have been attack quite scary D:

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2010, 07:23:16 pm »
Well, I'm generally known as Fuyuko by those who recognize me on here and other places, as well as England, Canada and the "Hiei clone/twin" by another fellow Hiei cosplayer; But I'm mostly Canada these days.
I've also been told numerous times how cute I am... I still don't understand how I'm associated with that trait. I mean, I play "cute" but I didn't know I could actually pull it off. 8'3

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2010, 09:25:43 pm »
I have no idea what/who I'm known as...I couldn't say cause I know myself as me... who do you think of me as? xD
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2010, 01:55:25 am »
I suppose that after last KCon I will be mostly known as Hohenheim.  I did Lt. Cmdr. Andrei Kalanin for a couple of cons, but I don't think he caught on nearly as well, despite the fact that I was the only one to cosplay him.  I think it would have been better if there had been more FMP fans.  Playing someone from FMA definitely gets you noticed.   ;D

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 01:56:53 pm by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2010, 09:42:07 am »
lol Nyahahaha XD I totally think of you as Soul all the time. I think of you and boom and pic of Soul pops in my head! It's like I think of Nikki as either ... oh god I always forget her name, that gal from Org13, or Kuja - but that's cause that's mainly who I've met her as. I still think of my con buddy Chibi as Hinata, though she hasn't worn it in a loooong time.
Kumori'15

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2010, 11:54:00 am »
lol thats funny cause when I think you, i alsways have lolita allen pop in my head xD occationally its roxas
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline animeotakujoanne

• Sailor Scout
    • Joanne K. Cosplay
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2010, 07:52:18 pm »
I dont think I'm known for a particular character. I havent cosplayed for very long so...
but I do plan on wearing my Taiga cosplay for quite awhile. I'm probably the most emotionally attached to that one as well.
Kumoricon 2013!

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2010, 07:54:40 pm »
I have nooo idea who people see me as , lmao.
hopefully this year 8D I love making friends haha'
But either as a Good Roy or Cross ; A ; not " that cosplayer "
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2010, 10:22:19 am »
^ i will always think of you as havoc xD
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2010, 03:45:12 pm »
I think it depends kinda on who you meet the person first in too... I know Chelsea as Rikku, it just pops to mind... Or Usagi ^^ I think of you CLAP and my brain goes boom good Roy ^^

After this Sakura I probably won't be getting any new costumes so I'm making these next ones to be pretty good ^^ I'll also do retouching to my older costumes, like good pants for Roxas, proper skirt, boots, wig, hair tail for Yuna... So on.
Kumori'15

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2010, 11:51:24 pm »
Ok I totally empathise with this. I have people who still call me Martel, eventhough I retired that costume several seasons back. I think this is because; ONE she's an awesome character and is rarely cosplayed and TWO I cosplayed her well. Though now the people who knew me as Martel are now calling me Olivia, for the same reasons.

I believe the whole reason for this the fact that first impressions are lasting impressions. So when we meet someone for the first time in costume, and it's a good/memorable we remember them as that character.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2010, 12:01:29 am »
People know me as either Black~Rose or as Tifa lol but I made it a point from the beginning that it was my main cosplay =p so its my fault. As for getting attached emotionally, I do, but I try to look at it more as a positive thing. I try to look at it as they like it too so the more the merrier. But I don't like to reveal what I'm cosplaying that year to anyone because I feel that if I don't, then I cant think that any one is copying me so it makes me feel better about them being the same thing as me.

Offline kayfig

• Cabbit
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2010, 09:16:25 pm »
I don't know if I'm known for it necessarily but for at least two years I was the only Great Saiyaman cosplayer. Then I went to Sakuracon and saw about six others and what gets me about that isn't the fact that other people are doing it (DBZ is classic awesome!) but the fact that they don't even try. I saw more then one with no cape or half-assed tunics and it just kind of depressed me because I love Gohan and I hate seeing him done poorly. Your favorite character being bastardized is never fun.

Last year I also went as Hollow Ichigo (with the contacts) but I definitely wouldn't say I was known for that, I spent more time watching the Princess Ruto I was with getting pictures and that was pretty cool. With cosplay, I think I get discouraged if it's overdone. Not that it's bad that it's getting attention, but it's not as much fun to do that myself, I think. I'd rather give love to characters that don't get it as much or at the very least do alternate outfits (not to be confused with inspiration-based cosplay which I personally abhor) because I find that more enjoyable.

I don't know. Anyone else's thoughts on overdone cosplay (such as Naruto, Bleach, Hetalia, etc.)? Though I suppose this forum has more to do with what you're known for, doesn't it?

Offline Givon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2010, 11:44:35 pm »
I actually like it when some one remembers me from my cosplay. Every time I got to con I *in or out of my cosplay* I will hear some one say, "OMG its Tobi!!". Or some character. I think its pretty cool. Which means I had a convincing cosplay characters :b
"Ever done it with a ninja?....want to do it again?"~ Givons random moment

Offline asdfAnimeProductions

• Sailor Scout
    • asdfAnimeProductions-youtube!
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2010, 06:29:55 pm »
Im known as Tama-chan or Tamaki. :D
Because I cosplay him so much.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2010, 12:24:12 am »
I don't know. Anyone else's thoughts on overdone cosplay (such as Naruto, Bleach, Hetalia, etc.)? Though I suppose this forum has more to do with what you're known for, doesn't it?

Yeah, that's a little off topic, but I will say that in previous cons, the massive amounts of Naruto, Bleach, Inu Yasha, whatever cosplayers does get very annoying.

That said, as I am one of six confirmed Hetalia Russias going to K-con '10, I will say that I'm happy for my cosplay yet a little disappointed because I'm a groupie. Hetalia for me was a last minute decision because it was easy. Actually, I wanted to be England so I could just raid Andy and Bax or something, but my friends decided on the Soviet sibling group (Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia). I'm excited to be in such a large photoshoot, but at the same time, I still have those reservations and disappointment that I won't be unique.

More than anything else, the thing that bothers me the most with cosplay is like what you said with Saiyaman. I dislike half-assed cosplay. My "first" cosplay was half-assed, and I don't want to think about it. I did it on a lark to match my friend, and honestly, it would've been better had I not done it at all. The first example I can think of is the Tobi Naruto cosplayers with the construction paper and yarn mask. I saw a lot of those. When I finally saw someone who had shaped theirs out of clay and made a 3D swirl on the front, it was so awesome. Just that detail made the cosplay so much better. 

I guess with the crappy cosplay/overdone cosplay thing, it boils down to this: I've been there. I've done it. I'm going to do the popular thing again. I refuse to do the crappy cosplay if I can help it.

I have a feeling by the end of this, I won't be known as Davy Jones so much as I will an opinionated jerk. :/ Sorry if it offends, but that's my thought process from my ten convention experience.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline DewbMonster

• Cabbit
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2010, 09:37:33 am »
Chie from Persona 4. I cosplay her the most. =u=
Kumori con 2012 (this is a no go)
Aki con 2012 (Most likely a no go)
sakura con 2013 (Maybe)
AX 2013 (Maybe)

Offline kayfig

• Cabbit
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2010, 10:23:32 am »

Yeah, that's a little off topic, but I will say that in previous cons, the massive amounts of Naruto, Bleach, Inu Yasha, whatever cosplayers does get very annoying.

That said, as I am one of six confirmed Hetalia Russias going to K-con '10, I will say that I'm happy for my cosplay yet a little disappointed because I'm a groupie. Hetalia for me was a last minute decision because it was easy. Actually, I wanted to be England so I could just raid Andy and Bax or something, but my friends decided on the Soviet sibling group (Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia). I'm excited to be in such a large photoshoot, but at the same time, I still have those reservations and disappointment that I won't be unique.

More than anything else, the thing that bothers me the most with cosplay is like what you said with Saiyaman. I dislike half-assed cosplay. My "first" cosplay was half-assed, and I don't want to think about it. I did it on a lark to match my friend, and honestly, it would've been better had I not done it at all. The first example I can think of is the Tobi Naruto cosplayers with the construction paper and yarn mask. I saw a lot of those. When I finally saw someone who had shaped theirs out of clay and made a 3D swirl on the front, it was so awesome. Just that detail made the cosplay so much better. 

I guess with the crappy cosplay/overdone cosplay thing, it boils down to this: I've been there. I've done it. I'm going to do the popular thing again. I refuse to do the crappy cosplay if I can help it.

I have a feeling by the end of this, I won't be known as Davy Jones so much as I will an opinionated jerk. :/ Sorry if it offends, but that's my thought process from my ten convention experience.

You're not alone there. My first couple of cosplays (unfortunately) were terrible, but I caught on when I did Saiyaman. I feel the exact same way you do about being part of a hoard, it's not that it's not enjoyable to be part of a group of like-minded individuals (at least in their love of a particular anime) but it also feels less unique and since I, at least, am a shameless attention whore when it comes to cosplay (I'm not really sure why) I miss the feeling of being one of something great.

I don't think this makes you an opinionated jerk and if for some reason it does then I suppose I am too. :D    In any case, I love good cosplay with effort put into it and I enjoy both feelings of going solo and being part of a group, though solo seems to me to be infinitely more entertaining.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2010, 08:46:36 pm »
I wouldn't mind if some one didn't have  the best costume, because there are so many factors that affect it and good costumes cost money, if given the choice between making a better costume and affording con I would want people to go to con,                                     anyway I tend  to be known for 3 things Gackt fan, my cookin mama cosplay which works as in my circle I am known for my cooking, and GIR clothes, lie once ran up to me and took a picture of my shoes...
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2010, 09:05:17 pm »
I will admit I love having my picture taken. It's a little self-assurance that my hard work paid off :)

@superjaz
Yeah, you're right. I don't mind if someone doesn't have the best costume either. It's just when it's obvious that they didn't even bother trying that it really bothers me. Buying a cosplay offline is a bit of a different matter that I'm drawn with. I don't really believe in buying costumes, but I know that some people don't have sewing machines or flat out have no idea how to sew so they have to buy cosplay.

It's kind of a weird idea, I guess.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"