Author Topic: Convention Policies (and updates)  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
Convention Policies (and updates)
« on: July 22, 2008, 10:53:14 am »
I would like people to know we do have a copy of our convention policies up on the main k-con website.  I also wanted to clarify a couple of issues.  Convention curfew is 12:00 AM and all minors will need to exit convention space at that time, with or without their guardians present.  Stage steel or live steel will not be permitted unless the weapon is secured to its scabbard, if you wish to have it for photo shoots off of hotel premises we can redo the peace bonds.  For 18+ events, we will be requiring government issued identification at the door, even if you have a blue badge.  If you don't have it on hand, we will ask you to go get it before you are granted entrance.  These are some of the more common questions I've had come up at meetings and yojimbo trainings, so I wanted to let people know what was going on so they can prepare accordingly.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:37:00 am by Hawkeye »
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
Re: Con policies
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:22:55 pm »
For all of our under 18 attendees, we have made a slight modification to the con curfew policy.  Standard policy is to exit con space at midnight, but on Saturday and Sunday nights we will be allowing you to stay up until 1 AM for the purposes of attending the dance (Saturday) and the rave (Sunday).  This is the ONLY exception we are making to the curfew.  Any other events going on in con space after that time, you will still need to exit con space.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:00:04 pm »
For all of our under 18 attendees, we have made a slight modification to the con curfew policy.  Standard policy is to exit con space at midnight, but on Saturday and Sunday nights we will be allowing you to stay up until 1 AM for the purposes of attending the dance (Saturday) and the rave (Sunday).  This is the ONLY exception we are making to the curfew.  Any other events going on in con space after that time, you will still need to exit con space.
OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:01:43 pm »
I think that is a really good idea to let them stay out a little latter. I'm sure everyone under 18 will appreciate it

oslapedo

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 10:17:35 pm »
YAY!!! KCon is the best Con ever! I feel so loved by the superiors! <333

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 01:34:38 pm »
Just remember one thing.  Staying up late does not equal you guys getting to go insane on us, okay?  Please let us retain our own shreds of sanity.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 05:02:37 pm »
Don't worry. Staying up late for me means that I am tried. I wont be acting up, if anything I'll be very slugish.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 05:16:11 pm »
Are said minors allowed out of the rave for a breather outside and such? or must we be trapped inside the rave until we are to be released? lol

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 05:21:51 pm »
I'm sure you could step outside for water or fresh air but you probably couldn't wonder too far off.

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 05:40:51 pm »
Bathroom, water, and air breaks are of course acceptable.  However leaving the dance/rave to attend a panel is unacceptable and will result in you being asked to leave con space.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 01:22:08 am »
The convention policies have had a minor update for 2008. The current version is online at the same place here:

http://www.kumoricon.org/?page_id=44

This update is the version that was printed in the 2008 con book.

For reference, the 2007 policies are archived here: http://www.kumoricon.org/sitehistory/2007/www.kumoricon.org/indexb60b.html

Here are the differences:

Removed parts are in strikethrough, added parts are in italic, and unchanged parts have no special formatting.

Costumes and outfits are one of the best parts of anime conventions. Before you put long hours and hard work into your cosplay, be aware that all outfits must cover areas of the body to comply with decency requirements.obey Washington decency laws. The law reads as follows:

[RCA 9A.88.010] "A person is guilty of indecent exposure if he intentionally makes any open and obscene exposure of his person or the person of another knowing that such conduct is likely to cause reasonable affront or alarm."

You will be asked to return to your room if your outfit covers too little of your body, as shown in the picture below. Outfits that are tight or shear enough to expose those parts which should be covered are also prohibited.

Kumoricon is back in Oregon state this year, so of course the Washington law quote was removed. The relevant Oregon law is much more liberal than Washington's so it made no sense to include it; it might imply that the stricter standards of Kumoricon don't apply. It might imply that you can do anything except the specific things banned by law. Of course, the law applies, as well as Kumoricon's clothing coverage policies.

Solicitation
  • Displaying of signs with profanity, explicit or graphic language, insults, threats, solicitations, or room party advertisementsnot produced and approved by Kumoricon Executive Staff (i.e. "Glomp me", "Hug the Ninja", "Room Party Info")

Other Offensive and/or Illegal Behavior
  • Consumption of alcohol in the Convention Space, unless it is within an event officially sanctioned by Kumoricon with permission to serve alcohol from Kumoricon Executive Staff or the hotel

Consent to Photography
Any photographs or videos of attendees taken by Kumoricon staff in an official capacity may be used or published by Kumoricon without further consent of the attendees being recorded.

Photography by Attendees
Taking photographs and videos is allowed in most public areas of the convention. However, specific events, panels, or areas may restrict photography. Please respect the wishes of anybody who asks not to be photographed or video-recorded.

Photography is not allowed in the art show without permission from staff and the consent of the artist whose work is being photographed.

Photography
Any photos or film officially taken of attendees by Kumoricon staff or its affiliates is property of the convention.

The new photography policies address two things: Photography by Kumoricon, and photography by attendees.

3. A prop is any item that is for display or part of a costume, or a potentially dangerous item, carried or worn by an individual that is not clothing.

4. Convention Sspace is any area that the convention is using for events, panels, activities, and vendor/artist sales areas, and their connecting walkways and hallways.

*Policies are subject to change, and are enforced at the discretion of Kumoricon Staff. Updates will be available at www.kumoricon.org. The most current version will be available in the convention bags on your arrival.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 01:27:27 am »
After the con book printed there was a policy change involving curfew at the dance being extended until 1am. I will get the exact wording of this policy change and the page will be updated once we have that.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 09:27:27 am »
Thank you for this Jeff.  The curfew change as I have been told by Dawn and the rest of the board is as follows.  Curfew will be at 1 AM during the first two days for the express purposes of the dance and the rave.  You can feel free to step out for bathroom breaks and the like, but you may not leave the dance or rave to attend other panels or otherwise wander con space.  If you do so, it will be assumed you have forfeited the right to be up and the yojimbo will ask you to exit con space at that time.  I will be merging the thread I started in the help section over to here as it deals with the same sort of material.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:30:20 am by Hawkeye »

Offline saya-chan14

• Bunnygirl
Re: Convention Policies (and updates)
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 01:15:42 pm »
i have a question before i start making my weapon we are using real metal and making sure it not able to cut anythign and we mite not use steel

world that be ok to have it will be smaller and the 3 blades will not sharp and the weapon will be lite would we need to do anything to it to have at kumoricon or is it fine??
Sakura 11 cosplays
CC
Yosuke
Libra

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 01:53:00 am »
If the blades are real metal it won't matter if they're sharp. That steel can't be covered in a sheath so it can't be peace bonded in.
That metal prop will not be allowed.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 10:33:32 am »
i have a question before i start making my weapon we are using real metal and making sure it not able to cut anythign and we mite not use steel

world that be ok to have it will be smaller and the 3 blades will not sharp and the weapon will be lite would we need to do anything to it to have at kumoricon or is it fine??

If it's metal we'll have to treat it as a steel prop and as such it will not be allowed.  I would advise using wood and painting it metallic, or something along those lines.

Offline Spit

• Sailor Scout
    • http://thebakaotaku.topcities.com
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 07:57:20 pm »
so for weapons, anything thats metal/lead (such as a lead pipe) will be considered steel and therefore not allowed. but wood is ok? so if a weapon/prop was a plank with nails in it, and the wood was real but the nails weren't this would be acceptable?
mention this to me and watch the weather change.
--------------------------------------
Sakura-Con/Kumori-Con 08-10:
Bubble Head Nurse-100%
Zapdos-20%