Author Topic: 2012 Cosplay Progress Thread  (Read 326196 times)

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
Re: 2012 Cosplay Progress Thread
« Reply #550 on: January 11, 2012, 10:53:55 pm »
^ Awesome I need to use a shirt I don't care about too don't I?

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #551 on: January 11, 2012, 11:09:47 pm »
^ Awesome I need to use a shirt I don't care about too don't I?

i've read about that somewhere-- yes. XD you dont want to kill off your fave shirt now XD
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #552 on: January 11, 2012, 11:36:35 pm »
I've finally finished my new helmet for my B-wing pilot outfit (Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi). It took me months, probably close to a year now, but I finally finished it. It took a lot of trial and error, especially with the fiberglass/resin pulls, but I finally did it. It's not perfect but for being completely hand made I can't complain.
I'm so glad to finally have that huge thing finished.

My next task is to finish my "belt box". I have almost everything I need to finish it except for a 2" x 2" black plastic box (preferably with a grain finish). I can't seem to find one no matter where I look and despite my best efforts. I never thought it would be so hard to find one. Has anyone seen one somewhere, does anyone know where I may be able to buy one?

I'm planning to do an anime cosplay this year as well but I think I'm just going to commission it. With my ongoing work on my B-wing pilot outfit there's no way I'd be able to make another outfit from scratch in time.

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #553 on: January 12, 2012, 07:38:19 am »
^^I need a crash corse in resin.

if someone would give you a crash course, can i come with ya~?

Sure, I'm planing a panel for weapon prop making this year.  I've invited Nikkiolie to attend and talk about resin.  

Nikkiolie if you do a crash course may I come as well?  I want to start using resin.  thanks.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:41:20 am by Drauska »

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #554 on: January 12, 2012, 12:32:34 pm »
Black rose: Yes you need to use a tshirt you don't care about, it is going to be cut from the bottom to the neck, plus you wont be able to get the duct tape off easily.

As for my progress I haven't used resin in a long time and I was kinda expecting everything to be rock hard after one coat but its not =/ So I think the plan right now is rather than doing a bunch of layers of my resin I am going to do a few layers of modge podge/ glue then do a final coat of resin to get everything hard and smooth. However the sword just needs a layer of resin on the hilt and its done.

Other than props, I sent the payment for my duster and arm warmers to someone on coscom. I should be getting it next week.

IF I  do a crash course people will need to bring their own resin. :P Its kinda expensive. I don't think I would be doing it at my apartment since I want my deposit back. It would probably be after my parents move depending on what the new place is like (they want a place that is kinda out of the city with a bit of land so it should work fine)

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #555 on: January 12, 2012, 01:12:21 pm »
can i just look at you while you work?? i just need to look at how it's done, where to buy it and im good =w=

can i crash ov- i mean can i go to your house tomorrow or something and spy on ya workin on it?
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #556 on: January 12, 2012, 01:23:05 pm »
I have work tomorrow but if you aren't doing anything today I am going to be working on it in a little bit. Times like these I wish I had a web cam and I would just broadcast it :P You can get resin at most craft stores. I get mine at Michaels.

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #557 on: January 13, 2012, 12:16:39 pm »

As for my progress I haven't used resin in a long time and I was kinda expecting everything to be rock hard after one coat but its not =/ So I think the plan right now is rather than doing a bunch of layers of my resin I am going to do a few layers of modge podge/ glue then do a final coat of resin to get everything hard and smooth. However the sword just needs a layer of resin on the hilt and its done.

Nikkiolie, I just discovered mod podge hard coat.  Have you tried it yet?  I'm gonna bust it out this weekend for a finishing layer then sand and start painting.

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #558 on: January 13, 2012, 01:28:45 pm »
ened up puttign all cosplay stuff on hold till we move my sister this weekend

Offline Maiku

• Sailor Scout
    • Octavian Cosplay
« Reply #559 on: January 13, 2012, 01:50:38 pm »
Finally got finances to get started on cosplays, though I'll get the rest next week.  Gonna order some of the parts I'm not doing myself for Squall today and a wig, plus finish figuring the pattern out for Kojuro's armor so that when I get materials I can start on him.
2012 Kumo

Dad - Homestuck / Yukimura - Brave 10 / Captain Marvelous - Gokaiger / Flame Prince - Adventure Time

See some of my work: http://www.facebook.com/OctavianCosplay

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #560 on: January 13, 2012, 03:51:10 pm »
Okay, looking at how much sewing I've got left to do before Sakur-Con, I've decided not to do Princess Bubblegum's usual outfit, and instead go with this instead:

I've already got white shorts, pink shoes and some red ribbon I can add to them, so all I need is the shirt and socks (and to trim the bangs on my wig).

I hope to go to Michael's sometime this weekend to get fabric paint for Dolorosa, and I know they sell cheap t-shirts in block colors there, so hopefully I can get one in light yellow and some fabric paint and then maybe be almost done with PB before next week. I want to get one in a larger size so I can modify it to fit hers better (it looks like the sleeves and neckline are a bit different from most t-shirts).

Offline OokamiYami

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #561 on: January 13, 2012, 10:08:08 pm »
Today, I ordered an awesome poseable Mushu plush doll for my Mulan pinup outfit. :D Tomorrow, I'll be shopping some more to prepare making my outfit!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #562 on: January 13, 2012, 11:08:31 pm »

Nikkiolie, I just discovered mod podge hard coat.  Have you tried it yet?  I'm gonna bust it out this weekend for a finishing layer then sand and start painting.
I will have to check that out. So far my chest armor is coming a long. It isn't as smooth at I want it to be but it will when I'm done. I think I need to get more coarse sand paper.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #563 on: January 13, 2012, 11:27:30 pm »
@nikkolie

how hard can a resin get? can it be close as durable and hard as a pvc pipe? *planning to coat the core of a tissue roll as the pieces of my wings

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #564 on: January 14, 2012, 10:25:53 am »
@nikkolie

how hard can a resin get? can it be close as durable and hard as a pvc pipe? *planning to coat the core of a tissue roll as the pieces of my wings
I think it would be cheaper and easier just to use pvc pipe. XD;
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #565 on: January 14, 2012, 12:01:42 pm »
@nikkolie

I think it would be cheaper and easier just to use pvc pipe. XD;
I agree PVC is really cheap.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #566 on: January 14, 2012, 04:52:03 pm »
Go for the PVC the resin is mainly used to smooth things out and fill in holes and cracks and what not.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #567 on: January 14, 2012, 08:17:50 pm »
well... the thing there is, WRS' wings is bent-- and i dunno how to bend pvc pipe-- nor have the equipments needed to bend a pipe oTL

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SlkfB3sZ25Y/TU6ylOYpcwI/AAAAAAAAA64/kI8qYQD9UjM/s1600/white+rock+shooter+-+dannychoo+-+0.jpg

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #568 on: January 14, 2012, 11:33:12 pm »
You can bend it with a heat gun. I used pvc pipe on the inside of foam tubing for my Lilith wings and that is how I bent them.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #569 on: January 14, 2012, 11:57:44 pm »
no heat gun oTL

nor prolly have enough moolah to buy one

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #570 on: January 15, 2012, 08:53:51 am »
You can alternate 45 degree and straight sections to get a bend. http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings-Valves-PVC-Pipe-Fittings/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbuf5/R-100166908/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&superSkuId=202904871 At least in that figure it doesn't look like it has to be a gradual bend the entire time. Or you could use clear pvc tubing to get the bend (put wire in it to make it rigid?) maybe. http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings-Valves-PVC-Pipe-Fittings/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbuf5/R-100127878/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 And heat guns look like they're $25-$50 usually, which is pretty affordable if you think about how much you can use it for. Armor, pvc, etc.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #571 on: January 15, 2012, 07:00:22 pm »
Did you know that you can buy PVC matierial but in sheets not pipes?  Someday I'm gonna start using that instead of foam.  I found a supplier in Tigard.

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #572 on: January 15, 2012, 09:31:45 pm »
got almost all the blue done on lita.... version one of her hat... failed hard core xD whats left: hat ver 2, leg strap, finish sleeves, make sleeve belts.

anyone know of a good tutorial or have advice on her giant hat?
ref pic: http://images.wikia.com/atelierseries/images/7/7f/Litablanchimont.jpg
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #573 on: January 15, 2012, 09:53:12 pm »
rubber sheet- i'll show you once i get it

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #574 on: January 15, 2012, 11:20:34 pm »
Okay, Michael's was a success and PB's nearly done! I need to add details to her shirt, figure out how I'm attaching the bows to her shoes, and get socks.

I got fabric paint for Dolorosa, so hopefully I can get some decent work done on her dress tomorrow and maybe start painting the skirt. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to go fabric shopping next weekend, I'm pretty busy, but the weekend after that I should be able to so I can get some kind of sheer fabric for her cape thing.

Still need to order wigs, I've been procrastinating, but of the three wigs I'm ordering (two of which are for friends) I only need to style one of them, since one should be fine out of the bag and the other is being passed off to my friend's mom, who has much more experience with curling irons than I do.

Offline toonafeesh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #575 on: January 16, 2012, 01:19:01 am »
Bought/Painted/Finished the Pants and Shoes for Canaan TODAY.
Started the 6ft sword for Clare. (It's a nightmare!!!)
Have the Kanekalon wefts for the teardrop thingy for Hokuto, just have to buy the wigs!
Have the pattern, material, lining, 50% of the shoes, fur danglies, and the PVC pipe for the surprise cosplay's staff.

Now I just have two wigs, two pairs of contacts, pleather, spray paint, MOAR CRAFT FOAM, sand paper, tights pleather boots, red sleeveless turtleneck leotard, black sports bra, and a bunch of other COMPLETELY RANDOM crafting thingy majiggers that I have yet to buy. -.-

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #576 on: January 16, 2012, 09:57:20 am »

I will have to check that out. So far my chest armor is coming a long. It isn't as smooth at I want it to be but it will when I'm done. I think I need to get more coarse sand paper.
Well it works better then regular mod podge but resin still works best.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #577 on: January 16, 2012, 11:13:42 am »
erm-- so... can a resin get as hard as a pvc???

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #578 on: January 16, 2012, 12:42:19 pm »
At this point, I might only be going as Sailor Neptune, my secret wedding cosplay, and hopefully one more.  My financial aid appeal was denied, but I've got an appointment tomorrow to look at getting it overturned.  If it does, I'll most likely have that third one, possibly a fourth...  I do plan on updating my signature soon, though.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline CyberIncision

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #579 on: January 16, 2012, 02:42:46 pm »
What is the best fabric paint (that also has a variety of shades and colors), and anyone know where to find a good pattern for short sleeve ruffles? I also wish it was easier to find a light (like orange cream ice cream-orange) orange tight fitting t-shirt :/ Also where to find plyable metal to create a skeleton for a prop (to be paper machete'd over) And what to fit between the pliable pieces to retain the shape should it be bumped?

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #580 on: January 16, 2012, 03:04:57 pm »
I generally use Tulip brand soft fabric paint, in matte shades. They sell it at Michael's and it works pretty well.

For something to paper mache over, I'd say something like tinfoil works fine. I use tinfoil and masking tape to make the form I need, and make sure that before you start with the paper mache you cover all the tinfoil with masking tape. You could also probably use crumpled up newspaper.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #581 on: January 16, 2012, 11:33:14 pm »
Got all the pieces for my kira cosplay cut out! Next weekend I will start sewing. I will also be sending the Acrylic ink off to the friend who is helping me with my wig. I need to stop procrastinating ><

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #582 on: January 17, 2012, 08:09:51 pm »
got my tangled wig basicly done i kind wanna add fiber to the ear tabs to cover my hair.... and maybe remove a few flowers?
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline Tranny

• Catgirl
« Reply #583 on: January 17, 2012, 08:21:56 pm »
I think it looks fine but Yeah I think you should take away some flowers because from the picture it just looks like flowers not wig.

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #584 on: January 18, 2012, 06:59:34 pm »
I got fabric for my God Tier Rose dress and hood today. I still have to finish my muslin copy though.

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #585 on: January 18, 2012, 09:41:13 pm »
soo i m thought of doign a two in one and do Sebastian from black butler in ciels pink ballgown I mean i have my red contacts and black hair o.O it sounds like fun 

Offline icanhaspocky

• Cabbit
« Reply #586 on: January 20, 2012, 10:19:52 pm »
soo i m thought of doign a two in one and do Sebastian from black butler in ciels pink ballgown I mean i have my red contacts and black hair o.O it sounds like fun 

That would be awesome!
KumoriCon 2012- Maka Albarn, Alois Trancy [from OVA](maybe), Matryoshka Gumi (maybe)
ECCC- Annabeth Chase, Kuro Lolita or Matryoshka Gumi
----_/\_*
'~(*w*)-*
--<'''♥'">
---'\_|_/ * Alphonse Elric loves you!
And now for something completely different

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #587 on: January 20, 2012, 10:38:38 pm »
gonna do photos probly tomorrow

Offline OokamiYami

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #588 on: January 21, 2012, 01:33:34 am »
I got my black bodysuit for Medusa and will start altering it soon. Plus, I received my Mushu doll for my Mulan pinup. :D

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #589 on: January 21, 2012, 01:36:20 am »
I got my lolita wig :D next month I get my lolita

Offline icanhaspocky

• Cabbit
« Reply #590 on: January 21, 2012, 10:48:45 am »
I got my Alois wig a few days ago, and I already have the shorts (I just need to alter them a little).  I really need to get out to a thrift store to try to find other parts. . . or I'll just make them. :)
KumoriCon 2012- Maka Albarn, Alois Trancy [from OVA](maybe), Matryoshka Gumi (maybe)
ECCC- Annabeth Chase, Kuro Lolita or Matryoshka Gumi
----_/\_*
'~(*w*)-*
--<'''♥'">
---'\_|_/ * Alphonse Elric loves you!
And now for something completely different

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
« Reply #591 on: January 21, 2012, 10:51:13 am »
@Jacob_Blackfeather

I <3 your voluminous your wig is! It's very cute =]
I like goats.

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #592 on: January 21, 2012, 10:53:57 am »
@Jacob_Blackfeather

I <3 your voluminous your wig is! It's very cute =]

thank you it is rather poofy.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #593 on: January 21, 2012, 01:41:45 pm »
Resin, resin and more resin. I have gone through over half my bottles and the armor isn't quite smooth enough. Its getting close though. I figured one or two more layers and I can sand it and it should be good. The sword is ready for a little bit of paint though and Rinoa's weapon is coming a long (waiting for paper clay to dry on the blade then I can sand)

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #594 on: January 21, 2012, 03:45:46 pm »
I did this for fun and i think i m going to cosplay it o.O at kcon its Sebastian  in ciel dress all i did was pull my shorty hair into two pigtails and them add my black clips
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:46:21 pm by Titus_Love_Doll »

Offline Maiku

• Sailor Scout
    • Octavian Cosplay
« Reply #595 on: January 21, 2012, 04:49:06 pm »
Just picked up the fabric (yummy suade) for my Kojuro coat.  Very pleased with the find :3

As reference:
2012 Kumo

Dad - Homestuck / Yukimura - Brave 10 / Captain Marvelous - Gokaiger / Flame Prince - Adventure Time

See some of my work: http://www.facebook.com/OctavianCosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #596 on: January 21, 2012, 06:52:33 pm »
And after he got all that fabric I realized my coat isn't good enough and remade it. I am about to add the white deatiling to the back and next payday I will get more white bias tape and finish it up. I also got my Rinoa duster and arm warmers today. So that costume is ready to wear, just the weapon is all that is left.

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #597 on: January 21, 2012, 08:23:07 pm »
I found a skirt for my Roxy Lalonde cosplay that I'm doing just for fun. I don't think I'll be bringing it to the con though.

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #598 on: January 21, 2012, 08:43:16 pm »
Dolorosa has been officially postponed until Kumoricon. I need to fix up a few things with Rose (one of her sleeves is donked, her collar needs work, one of the Thorns needs minor repairs and I want to cut the bangs on her wig)and get red ribbon and knee socks for PB, but that's all that's left on my own costumes.

For my friend's LSP I need to detangle/dye a wig, hem her skirt and figure out how we're doing her star, and for her Jade I need to detangle and cut another wig and possibly make a skirt. But there's plenty of time between now and Sakura-Con, and this is a far cry from the 'one elaborate costume done each month for three months' plan I was working with before.

Aaaand I need to kick the third member of our group and get her started on Marceline, and possibly convince her to be John Egbert.

Offline Rofflz

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #599 on: January 21, 2012, 08:58:57 pm »
So I need to redo my entire Stocking blouse T^T I seem to have mismeasured myself. Next time I'll have somebody else do my measurements properly. I'm glad I still have money on my JoAnn's giftcard.
I also need to get an undershirt for my Mio cosplay. I hope I don't completely mess up her blazer :S I don't know how to follow patterns, but I have one that should work... but it's very confusing! :d *fingers crossed* I also need to find socks, shoes and a sweatervest for Mio.
For Len, I need a white short sleeve dress shirt to alter for Meltdown. For rolling boy I only need a black sweat and it'll be complete. :/
I WILL NOT BE ATTENDING THE CON! I'M MOVING OUT OF STATE! AND IT IS THE SAME WEEKEND AS SABOTEN IN AZ. SORRY EVERYONE~!