Author Topic: Otaku said in"the Oregonian, A&E (pg34)  (Read 4612 times)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Otaku said in"the Oregonian, A&E (pg34)
« on: February 28, 2005, 08:33:24 am »
heres the webby
http//oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/enterainment/1109250335123292.xml?oregonian?alf
now afer you read it, it it just me or does it make otaku sound as if we only look for good grafics in anime and not good story or dioalog?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 10:46:42 am »
It'd be nice if I could find the artical. >__> -cursing-
I can't find it, and when I type in 'anime' 'otaku' in the damn search box I come up with lame oscar and mudslide crap.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 01:38:23 pm »
heh.. you copied the URL wrong, that's why it isn't working. For one, you forgot the ":" after http ...

anyways, I found it here: http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1109250335123292.xml?oregonian?alfs

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 02:35:48 pm »
:lol:

I find the content of this article interesting.  We showed the movie they are talking about, 'Wonderful Days'/'Sky Blue' at our last LANime party.  I always wonder why names get changed.  I mean even on my DVD copy after the intro it says 'WONDERFUL DAYS' in big black letters in ENGLISH.  Why change it?  oh well.  

This is the second time my club has beat the theaters to the punch.  The first time was when we showed 'House of Flying Daggers' a month before the US theaters had it. :P
The trick is not minding.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 10:40:07 am »
I went thru my trash to find it.
I /am/ offended my the artical.
>__> Damn hollywood.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 12:32:45 pm »
(glad not just me) who but an otaku, WOULD know what he means by a "strong dialog in cowboy bebop," an oh gee otaku don't pay attention to bad dubbing...(as if we hadn't been aruguing(the good kind) how bad/good the dubbing for naruto would be all week)

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 08:17:36 pm »
I /hate/ dubbed anime. >_> If it's like a last resort I'll watch, or a theatrical release, I'll go, but I'd much rather like it in Japanese.
Like Osaka in Azumanga Daioh, she sounds so much diffrent. And yeah, I understand she's from a diffrent region, and they speak diffrently, just like in Okinawa, but it's like. UGH. She sounds like she's so southern.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 08:29:13 pm »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
UGH. She sounds like she's so southern.

whats wrong with southern?  

Personnally, I think it depends on anime.  Fruits Baskets had a good one imo.   Sometimes its the translations.  Either they go the wrong way(cause of content or whatever) or they dun translate it in a way that makes sense.  Like the "evil eye" for byakugan in the Naruto manga is a direct translation.  however, it doesn't make much sense for the english audience due to cultural differences.  And since translating Japanese is more art then science, I'm willing to give the translators some slack.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 08:32:25 pm »
Nothing's wrong with southern. It just bugs me slightly on how much effort that put into it, it sounds forced...
Some anime, I agree have excellent dubbing, and thoes very few, I will praise.
And I do like how on DVD's they have added 'Translator Notes' to the extras, for thoes who may not get all the connections, word puns, ect.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 09:18:41 pm »
And I do like how on DVD's they have added 'Translator Notes' to the extras, for thoes who may not get all the connections, word puns, ect.

Oh I really like those.  thats why I like the manga by Del Ray(Negima, Wallflower, Gundam Seed, etc).  At the end of each of their manga, they have a cultural notes explaining what is going on in various areas.  Only time I noticed they missed something was in vol 3 or so(not sure exactly) of Tsubasa Reseivor(sp?).  in that one, it takes place in the world of Chun Hyang, another manga by Clamp, that Del Ray didn't mention.  My only guess is either Del Ray missed that fact or they worried about a copy right issue(Chun Hyang is sold by Tokyo Pop).
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 02:27:52 am »
Quote from: "Kurimono"

Oh I really like those.  thats why I like the manga by Del Ray(Negima, Wallflower, Gundam Seed, etc).  At the end of each of their manga, they have a cultural notes explaining what is going on in various areas.  Only time I noticed they missed something was in vol 3 or so(not sure exactly) of Tsubasa Reseivor(sp?).  in that one, it takes place in the world of Chun Hyang, another manga by Clamp, that Del Ray didn't mention.  My only guess is either Del Ray missed that fact or they worried about a copy right issue(Chun Hyang is sold by Tokyo Pop).

Don't get me started with DEL RAY.  I'm not very happy with some of the translations they did with Negima ("it's THOUSAND MASTER not SOUTHERN MASTER!!!!!")

But yeah, I like it when translator notes are added into Anime and Manga.  Has anyone seen "Kare Kano"?  There's no way I would have understood some of the jokes or puns without those notes.
(example *english version*: The naming of two make-believe babies: Pamela and Erson.)

For those of you who don't get it yet, take your time....

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 07:49:11 am »
soem of the dubbing makes sense after a japanese class, like kenchin sounds like yoda some times the way he repeats when he just said, but i think it just just a result of litral trasnslating because in japanese when taking the form is like that some times

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 03:42:41 pm »
Really, the article is ripping on Sky Blue.  I find that most of the anime I watch is quite varied.  There are a few that have really bad animation that I watch anyway because I like the story, and there's a few that I watch that are pretty, but have a weak story.  More of the former than the latter.  They are pretty general in how they refer to 'otaku', but that's pretty common.  They at least tried to compensate with the fact that there are several anime that have both great animation, and a strong story/characters.
~Sean Larson~