Author Topic: Is anyone going to the Polish Fesival?  (Read 4976 times)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Is anyone going to the Polish Fesival?
« on: September 18, 2010, 10:03:46 pm »
As is 'from Poland,' not 'surface finishing.'

http://www.portlandpolonia.org/festival/

It's a BLAST !! (and they have good beer too.)

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
Re: Is anyone going to the Polish Fesival?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 10:05:21 pm »
I wish I am 20 so it would not be as fun :'(

China bound!!!

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 10:12:35 pm »
The festival also brings out the many Baltic peoples** living in Portland - they are too diverse to have their own individual festivals, but CHECK OUT THE BALTIC AMBER!

** Estonians, Latvians, Lithuanians, etc
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:14:44 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 10:14:11 pm »
but i have to work T-T

China bound!!!

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 10:24:38 pm »
Woah, this is a big coincidince. Probably not coming though. *checks there food on site*

Lol, I eat 75 % of that home.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:28:38 pm by NARUNIK »

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 10:36:09 pm »
I won't be going, but it would be funny if someone cosplaying as Russia went there...

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 10:47:56 pm »
Like, that sounds totally rad and all but I just like, got back from the Pirate thingy and am totally spent from walking for like, HOURS... Chyah. =A= *bazooka'd*

EDIT: [I'm REALLY tired; so please don't kill me for this. xD;;]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:48:47 pm by Fuyuko »

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 11:03:08 pm »
I won't be going, but it would be funny if someone cosplaying as Russia went there...
I wouldn't do it, personally. Poland and Russia have a less-than-perfect history.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 11:05:07 pm »
I grew up with pierogies & am thrilled to see they have multiple vegetarian varieties there.
Wonder if they will have any Yiddishkeit there.
Depending on how long the Elections meeting is, I might check it out on my way out of town, as a birthday celebration for myself (being half Polish, albeit, Polish Jewish). Thanks for the tip. Are you going?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 11:17:34 pm »
If you mean me, then I wish I could, but I'm not. I live too far away and I have no money.

I might be tempted to make some bigos and pierogi next weekend to drown my sorrows in, though.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 11:20:02 pm »
I meant Guy, but that is awesome that you know how to make those. I haven't had bigos, what are they?

Do you make kasha (buckwheat groats) with bowtie pasta & olive oil & salt & parsley? Or is that just a Yiddish Polish meal? We called it Kasha Varnishkas.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 11:22:47 pm »
I wouldn't do it, personally. Poland and Russia have a less-than-perfect history.

I know. I just have a sick sence of humor for those 'party crasher' like people who show up (like if a Ninja showed up to that pirate festival...but on a much worse scale)

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 11:26:56 pm »
I meant Guy, but that is awesome that you know how to make those. I haven't had bigos, what are they?

Do you make kasha (buckwheat groats) with bowtie pasta & olive oil & salt & parsley? Or is that just a Yiddish Polish meal? We called it Kasha Varnishkas.
Oh. xD And Bigos is hunter's stew. Pretty much all the meat you have in the kitchen + sauerkraut + cabbage + whatever you feel like adding. And I got the pierogi recipe from my grandmother, who is from Poland.

I've never had kasha, although apparently it's in Polish cuisine. It sounds fantastic, though.

I'm pretty sure the only food they'll have at the festival is the food mentioned on the website, which is saddening, but understandable.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 11:31:32 pm »
Perhaps you know the name of something else I grew up with. It was cabbage leaves boiled and stuffed with ground (beef or lamb, both of which I gave up when I was 14) and crushed tomatos, boiled in a beef broth. I liked it at the time and would be into using  texturized vegetable protein (vegan ground beef substitute) to make them. I have so many cherry tomatoes from my yard that I am looking for recipes I can make soon before they go bad. Also thinking of making that salad with cold fresh mozzarella & capers & olive oil (Italian I think).

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 11:35:17 pm »
That's golabki, which is also pretty good. Bigos is a stew. Sort of. Depending on how it's made!

And that sounds Italian. xD
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 12:29:11 am »
Golabki....thanks for the term...Wonder if anyone has made a veggie version of it before...will give it a whirl :)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 11:00:36 am »
Perhaps you know the name of something else I grew up with. It was cabbage leaves boiled and stuffed with ground (beef or lamb, both of which I gave up when I was 14) and crushed tomatos, boiled in a beef broth. I liked it at the time and would be into using  texturized vegetable protein (vegan ground beef substitute) to make them.

The Lithuanians make these too, and thy are called 'cepellinai' - the 'c' is pronounces 'ts' and they are named because they resemble the Zeppelin dirigibles.

Also for vegetarian options, check out traditional Lithuanian Christmas Eve specialties. (The Lithuanian Christmas Eve feast is traditionally vegetarian and sparing - to remind people of the abject poverty of a couple who, expecting their first child, had nowhere they could afford to stay, and no one in town to take them in for a night. Some passages say a 'manger,' some Eastern orthodox writings mention a CAVE.
(Definitely not the Super 8 by any means...)

For another vegetarian option, rolled cabbage leaves can be stuffed with a mix of boiled barley and lentils. A modern variant adds a little MSG, to trick the lentil flavor into tasting more 'beefy.'

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Russia <> CCCP
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 07:33:13 pm »
Quote from: MiriaRose
Quote from: Saki-the-cat
It might actually work well because typical 'ethnic folk costumes' are based on 19th century peasant garb or wedding costumes.
"Russia" was only 'teH bad guys' during the evil, Marxist/Leninist/obamageddon communist age of 1917 ~ 1989.
(Y'know, sending 20 million of your own countrymen to the gulags, banning anyone from government or military jobs if they found out you went to church, and all that.)

My in-laws sharply distinguish between photos of the same place if taken during the Soviet era ("that's NOT Lithuania") versus before or after ("That's Lithuania!")

But anyways, IIRC Hetalia's Russia and Ukraine characters are clad in pre-Soviet era folk costuming so you should actually be cool.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:47:04 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 09:23:00 pm »
Quote from: Saki-the-cat
It might actually work well because typical 'ethnic folk costumes' are based on 19th century peasant garb or wedding costumes.
"Russia" was only 'teH bad guys' during the evil, Marxist/Leninist/obamageddon communist age of 1917 ~ 1989.
(Y'know, sending 20 million of your own countrymen to the gulags, banning anyone from government or military jobs if they found out you went to church, and all that.)

My in-laws sharply distinguish between photos of the same place if taken during the Soviet era ("that's NOT Lithuania") versus before or after ("That's Lithuania!")

But anyways, IIRC Hetalia's Russia and Ukraine characters are clad in pre-Soviet era folk costuming so you should actually be cool.
Except that Russia went and, y'know, partitioned Poland in the late 1700s.  Poland began its wars with Russia in the mid-1500s. And under Imperial Russia, Poles had it pretty bad.

As for Ukrainians, I've found that Poles and Ukrainians simply don't like each other. Probably from centuries of war and treating each other horrible as well.

I can't say how Lithuanians view Russia, but I do know that my Polish relatives don't like Russia very much, even pre-USSR.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 02:04:38 am »
As always, Guy, you are amazingly encyclopedic in your knowledge. Though I grew up avoiding MSG due to my aunt's allergy, the rest of that recipe idea sounds delicious. Usually if I'm trying to give something vegetarian, especially something vegan, a bit of a 'meaty' seasoning I'll use something like Lawry's Seasoning Salt. Though my favorite lentil seasoning is balsamic vinegar, unless I'm making a full-on red-lentil dahl....then it's sour cream with red curry.

Since you mention Lithuania, 3 things:
(a) One of my pals who is Lithuanian often posts photos on Facebook of traditional dress and formalwear.
(b) When I was a kid, we made an annual trip to my favorite museum, The Museum of Science & Industry, for its Xmas Trees From Around the World exhibit. My very favorite was always the Lithuanian tree, because it was very natural, totally not gaudy. Nothing artificial, just snowflakes made from straw, maybe a cornhusk angel.
(c) I had grokked that the tree in (b) was lovely for its naturalism & simplicity, but only just now from what you posted, am also catching that it probably is also emblematic of that remembering of Mary & Joseph's poverty. Many Jewish rituals are also about remembering times of poverty, even providing space at the dinner table for and building shelter in one's yard for wandering homeless folks (respectively for  Pesach /Passover& for Succhot, which is this week). This is that whole "for some thus have entertained angels unawares" theme as well as remembering time as slaves in Egypt & nomads in the desert. BTW, I'm intrigued by the cave idea. Many holy spots were caves. I've actually been to the Cave of the Apocalypse on Patmos, physically put my hand (as they have tourists do) on the rock wall where John rested his head when receiving Revelations. My direct lineage ancestor who founded Chassidism also lived in a cave for meditations & mystical studies (albeit not as a monk; his wife was there too).

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 01:18:56 pm »
Except that Russia went and, y'know, partitioned Poland in the late 1700s.  Poland began its wars with Russia in the mid-1500s. And under Imperial Russia, Poles had it pretty bad.
Well, go back enough centuries, and any one discernible ethnicity can find a historical affront to hate just about any other discernible ethnicity...
Lithuania was HUGE in the 15th century too - covering most of Poland and extending as far east as - what - Novogorod or something? Google keyword "Vytautas the Great," iirc.

Quote from: Rem
Many Jewish rituals are also about remembering times of poverty, even providing space at the dinner table for and building shelter in one's yard for wandering homeless folks
The Lithuanian Christmas table is decorated with wisps of hay or straw to represent the manger - food amongst fodder. This leads to bored kids waiting for dinner to be served to start playing with the straw - next thing you know people are making straw ornaments which can be quite intricate and beautiful. They also do the empty-plate place, but that is to remember family members who have passed on, and whose spirits may be 'dining' with you this night!**

My wife mentions that one or more elder family members would recite a litany of anscestor's names for as far back as they can recall.

My own family's ancestry is French Canadian and we have other traditional foods and stories.

**(Another thing you get in Lithuania that has strange co-inky-dink-ial counterparts in Asia are ROADSIDE SHRINES. But in Lithuania they are all built to the reverence of Jesus Christ, Mary, the Holy Family, or saints as opposed to, say, spiritual entities in more immediate vicinity of the shrine.)

OK - Back to "Let's have FUN this coming weekend!!!" - There will be dancing, music, food, and beer and many merchants specializing in Baltic or Northern European crafts, treats, books, etc. In the hall across from the church (St. Stanislaus PNCC) there is an exhibition of a different city or region of Poland  - they select a new site of interest each year, and usually have a representative or someone who knows the area well who can answer questions or provide touristy tips for people who want to go visit for themselves...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 01:22:39 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 05:44:00 pm »
Except that Russia went and, y'know, partitioned Poland in the late 1700s.  Poland began its wars with Russia in the mid-1500s. And under Imperial Russia, Poles had it pretty bad.
Well, go back enough centuries, and any one discernible ethnicity can find a historical affront to hate just about any other discernible ethnicity...
Lithuania was HUGE in the 15th century too - covering most of Poland and extending as far east as - what - Novogorod or something? Google keyword "Vytautas the Great," iirc.
The partitions are serious business to Poles. That is what I know.

I don't remember how big Poland was in the 15th century, but I am trying to remember when the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was formed. I'd look it up, but right now, my computer is being slow. I'll edit later.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 10:33:35 am »
@ Guy, thanks for the fascinating backstory illuminating one of my favorite memories of childhood!