Author Topic: Shin splints  (Read 5894 times)

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Shin splints
« on: October 13, 2006, 11:38:49 am »
Does anyone have a quick cure, or at least a pain-easing solution for shin splints?

I bike 4-11 miles a day to get to school, study groups, and grocery trips.  So, unfortunatly, not excersizing the muscles is impossible.  Unless one of you is willing to donate a free car and pay for all of my gas, and insurance.  :lol:

Because, after three days of popping pain meds, it isn't helping all that much anymore, and it's getting kinda annoying limping everywhere on campus.  Makes for great questions from random little children though. ^.^; (there's an on campus elementary school, and the little children have decided I walk like their grandmothers)
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Shin splints
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 11:57:56 am »
Heat compress wraps. They sell them in sports stores.  keeps the blood flow more regulated so the pain should disappear or atlease disapate quite a bit.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
Shin splints
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 12:03:43 pm »
well when I use to get splints in lacrosse I would roll my lacrosse shaft across my legs it helped a bit, I dought you have a lacrosse stick laying around so find something else and roll it on your leg.
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Shin splints
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 12:09:56 pm »
Kinda short lacrosse sticks, sorry Waffles, but I'll deffinitly look for some heat wraps after my Lit class.

Thanks! ^.^

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Shin splints
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 01:09:26 pm »
Quote from: "kylite"
Heat compress wraps. They sell them in sports stores.  keeps the blood flow more regulated so the pain should disappear or atlease disapate quite a bit.

This may not be what you had in mind, but if it were me, I'd sit on my bed with a my laptop on my legs (for warmth - it produces quite a lot of it) and watch live action Sailor Moon on youtube.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Shin splints
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 03:23:11 pm »
i dont know the extent of you injury but i know they have suplments at wallgreens that help for knee cartige rebuilding, those have helped my grandmothers leg pains a bit
but i dont know if can try to drink lots of milk to keep it strong or take cacium or drink juice with calcium
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Shin splints
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 11:17:04 pm »
Ouch!  I've had shin splints and it is definitely no fun.

Best advice I can give you is to buy a foot brace that can fit under your socks and shoes.  You'll need to find something that can give you good arch support.  But don't wear the foot brace too long (i.e. the whole day) or else it starts to hurt your foot.

My other advice is to look into buying new shoes.  New shoes can help cushion your feet and again try to find something that'll give you arch support.  If you don't want to buy new shoes, try shoe inserts.

And go easy on your legs for awhile.  It took me at least two weeks before I could walk my usual pace without feeling my shin splints

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Shin splints
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 11:24:16 pm »
I can't get new shoes out here (I need the heavy boots because of the weather), but I don't have to go anywhere this weekend, so I won't be using those muscles much for two days.  Yay! ^.^

Unfortunatly I still have four miles of biking to do on Monday, as WY lacks public transportation.  :cry:

Please, think of the college students, get a bus route for non drunks WY!!!  Yes, there is a bus route, but it's for the Drunk Bus only, it goes around to the bars, picks up the drunk college students, and drops them off at their homes. ^.^;

Lucky drunks.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Shin splints
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 11:49:30 pm »
Quote from: "princessfrodo"
Unfortunatly I still have four miles of biking to do on Monday, as WY lacks public transportation.  :cry:

That shouldn't be too bad.  I still did hurdles when I had shin splints and it didn't hurt too bad once I got the foot brace.

I mean more along the lines of slowing down a little if you run/jog, maybe not doing DDR of awhile (if there's one out there), basically take it easy when doing anything that might have you slamming down on the balls of your feet.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Shin splints
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 10:40:54 am »
Aren't shin splints like really tiny fractures in your legs? I dunno if there's much you can do except wait it out. Get lots of calcium...?  :?

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Shin splints
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 06:27:06 pm »
Quote from: "reppy"
Aren't shin splints like really tiny fractures in your legs? I dunno if there's much you can do except wait it out. Get lots of calcium...?  :?

My other advice was to just wait it out for 2-3 weeks (that's what I did once track was over) but from the sound of it princessfrodo doesn't really have that option.

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
Shin splints
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 10:16:32 am »
Ow, I'm sorry, I get that too, I walk everywhere on my campus. What I usually do is soak in a bathtub, (if available,) or I massage my legs. Usually that works for me, because my legs are used to me running and walking everywhere.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Shin splints
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 12:18:11 am »
heres one too if you dont have to be on your feet sit and rest your feet,
even if it means sitting on the ground or taking the only free chair take care of self
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Shin splints
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 12:30:59 am »
I actually found out that, if your legs are numb because of the weather (there's a snow storm currently going on right now, and another one is going to hit on Thursday or Friday, yay! ^.^ ), the shin splints don't hurt.

Then again, I can't feel my legs at all after biking two miles in a snow storm, so I'm not sure if the shin splint goblins have fled to a warmer climate, or my legs have decided to flee to a warmer climate and left me behind.  But, either way, no more pain! ^.^

Hmmm... if my legs have fled to a warmer climate without me, does that mean I have automail or cybernetic limbs?  Truly something to ponder during class tomorrow... ^.^

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Shin splints
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 12:45:10 pm »
Please please please get yourself a car or move closer to the campus!  The idea of walking around with tiny fractures is really freaking me out!  You poor thing! OMG!  I can hardly bear the thought of it!

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Shin splints
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 01:27:16 pm »
Hahahaha, Pixie, you make me laugh. ^.^

The thing you have understand is that Frodo is always sick, dying, or limping around somewhere.  This time I'm just lucky enough not to be having a hallucinagenic fever while doing so. ^.^  It's so FUN! ^.^

Besides, two miles only takes me ten or twenty minutes on bike. :P

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Shin splints
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 01:42:33 pm »
Yeah thease kids now days have no idea whats it's like to be old and sick.

I have bone spurs, arthritis, gout and nerve damage you want to barrow my crutches I only need them 2 or 3 weeks of the year.

Von "Gonna spin the lazy susan and see what meds to take today" Dan
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Shin splints
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 01:51:29 pm »
Segue scooters for all!   Princessfrodo, by pixie, did you mean me?  most folks call me pi, but I'm not complaining or anything.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Shin splints
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 03:31:54 pm »
Quote from: "pieisexactlythree"
Princessfrodo, by pixie, did you mean me?  most folks call me pi, but I'm not complaining or anything.

Yeah, I kinda read your name as Pixiethree, not Pieisexactlythree.  My eyes are going. ^.^;

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Shin splints
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 03:37:27 pm »
I even have my own themesong.