Author Topic: Working with Latex  (Read 6117 times)

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
Working with Latex
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:31:16 pm »
I'm planning on making Silk Specter II from Watchmen for next con, and its going to be latex.
Reference for those who don't know what I'm talking about:

and

I've never worked with latex, but I found a great site where I can get sheet latex and latex glue to work with: http://www.mjtrends.com/gridview-latex-sheeting
They offer .20mm Latex to .70mm latex and i really don't know which to get. I want something sturdy and non-see though (I'm making the boots and body suit) but the thickest stuff is a bit out of my budget.

Does anyone know how to work with latex, and if so can you offer up some advice about what thickness to use? And I would also really appreciate some tips! ^^

(also randomly, does anyone know where I can get boob inserts? I'm to small to play this well all by myself! ;;>_>)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:59:42 pm by NightLotus »

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Re: Working with Latex
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:34:19 pm »
Latex is scary and I haven't touched it yet.

BUT MAKING BOOBS BIGGER IS SOMETHING I CAN HELP WITH.

Anyways, go to Jo-anns, the one in Tigard has a section of wall dedicated to them. You can get little diamond shaped ones that go under your boob and like, push them up to make them look firmer and have more cleavage or you can get one that's like a full cup that will make you look about 1-2 cup sizes bigger. They're about 20 bucks, and don't let cats eat them or you'll have to throw them away D:<
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:56:51 pm »
awesome! Thats great to know! ^^
I know where I'm going to spending my money this weekend!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:57:31 pm by NightLotus »

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 09:44:46 pm »
Wow O.O I'm so happy to see more people doing Watchmen cosplays XD lol Anyways I myself haven't worked with Latex...well except liquid latex. But I think you'll have an easier time working with 4-way stretch vinyl fabric, it's allot easier to work with than latex. It breaths better and has much more elastic to it, so making movement easier, it's also what i've seen allot of people use to make outfits like this one and such.
Like these;

Hope this helped, it's just Latex takes allot and I mean allot of work. The guy who even made it said he had to do so many things to it, like casting, and coming up with new techniques. So if you used 4-way stretch vinyl fabric I think you could get the right look, without the hassle. But if you do it with latex O.O please share your experiences ^_^ I would love to do stuff like that.

^_^ Good luck, can't wait to see it.

Oh you should check out this link, it may help you ^-^

http://www.syren.com/t-watchmen.aspx

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:10:28 pm »
Hot, with all the info hopefully shared on the board to come i wants to see all girls in latex at next event ^.^'

/end creepy fanboy gaga

GL

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 11:23:46 pm »
Thanks for the tips! I would love to do latex, but like you said its going to be so much work O_O I'll look more into vinyl (which was my first choice, but I couldn't find 4-way for the price i can afford... ;;>_>)
that page was great for references and stuff! I think i'm going to make the belt out of either modeling clay or painted foam-board stuff that I have for making armor ^^

I just like the idea of pulling this off! ^^

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 09:21:01 pm »
Thanks for the tips! I would love to do latex, but like you said its going to be so much work O_O I'll look more into vinyl (which was my first choice, but I couldn't find 4-way for the price i can afford... ;;>_>)
that page was great for references and stuff! I think i'm going to make the belt out of either modeling clay or painted foam-board stuff that I have for making armor ^^

yah that's been my problem too, 4 way stretch is expensive T-T I'm looking for cheap ones but haven't found a store yet. XP I hope your cosplay turns out i'd love to see it. ^-^
oh I was looking at the site you had and it sparked an idea I wanted to do. ^-^ Thank you lol

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 09:46:16 pm »

yah that's been my problem too, 4 way stretch is expensive T-T I'm looking for cheap ones but haven't found a store yet. XP I hope your cosplay turns out i'd love to see it. ^-^
oh I was looking at the site you had and it sparked an idea I wanted to do. ^-^ Thank you lol
I'm glad! I'd love to see what you're working on as well! ^^
If i find cheap 4-way Vinyl i'll make sure to send you the link or info ^^

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 11:40:36 am »
sorry about the double post, but it seems like not very many people here have any idea about latex and stuff. So maybe someone might know where else I should ask? That would be super helpful, since i need to start working on this soon! ^^

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 06:41:37 pm »
Cosplay.com?
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 11:32:56 am »

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 11:14:57 pm »
before spending your money I would test a piece of latex against your skin for a couple of hours to make sure your skin doesnt have a reaction to it as latex is one of those things that can irritate your skin
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 01:00:49 am »
Yeah, I think wearing a suit of latex against one's skin for any length of time would cause people to get a rash, even if they are not allergic to it.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 01:00:53 pm »
before spending your money I would test a piece of latex against your skin for a couple of hours to make sure your skin doesnt have a reaction to it as latex is one of those things that can irritate your skin
well I've worn shoulder high latex gloves for an extended period of time, so i'm pretty sure I'm not going to react, but i should probably try again just to be sure! thanks for mentioning that, it had totally slipped my mind to test (I'm very good at getting rashes and stuff, so i should do it a few times with the actual latex i'm going to make my costume out of ^^)

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 01:43:47 pm »

If you buy the coupon book at Joanns, you can get 50% off of the sale price. That's how I was able to put my suit together. I didn't use vinyl though, but I thought that it would be worth mentioning.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 02:22:14 pm »

If you buy the coupon book at Joanns, you can get 50% off of the sale price. That's how I was able to put my suit together. I didn't use vinyl though, but I thought that it would be worth mentioning.
What did you use? because I went to the joanns near me they said they didn't have ANY stretch vinyl or anything of the kind. PLEASE tell me there is one that sells shiny stretchy stuff? :D

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 03:02:33 pm »

What did you use? because I went to the joanns near me they said they didn't have ANY stretch vinyl or anything of the kind. PLEASE tell me there is one that sells shiny stretchy stuff? :D
Oh, I just had to buy 4-way heavyweight stretch spandex and swimsuit lining. I had a hard time finding what I needed too, so, eventually I just called all of the stores and asked around until I found what I was looking for (I'd assume you're in the same boat, except looking for black and yellow vinyl). I'd recommend looking up some locations in the yellow pages and just calling around. It saves a trip... or five... or more. lol.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 04:52:12 pm »
good Plan! Thanks for the advice! I need to go to the Tigard store ANYWAY (to buy myself some boobs! :D) so I'll call there first ^^

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 04:11:51 am »
I would recommend that you clean the latex before/after you are done to help reduce any potential rash.  This may seem strange to mention to clean but many totally forget to care for their items, and the less irritants from the factory and what not the better chances you don't get anything from wearing it.  :)

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 05:50:28 pm »
I would recommend that you clean the latex before/after you are done to help reduce any potential rash.  This may seem strange to mention to clean but many totally forget to care for their items, and the less irritants from the factory and what not the better chances you don't get anything from wearing it.  :)
Oh yea ^^ good point!
I have some latex shampoo for my gloves and I'm sure i can just fill my bath with water and a few drops of shampoo and swish the whole suit around in it, dry it and then store it when I'm not wearing it ^^