Author Topic: Normal people and cosplay  (Read 3026 times)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
Normal people and cosplay
« on: October 28, 2008, 08:42:48 am »
Ok I am all for scarring normies just a tad, not being rude mind you but I just love the looks they give me, and some of the reactions I get from cosplay (especially my blue chocobo cosplay, wearing that to school was a hoot, so was my z z top costume) but how far is to far?

What extent will you go to to have fun with normies or do you at all?

or share funny stories of the reactons :3

Most of you have heard my elivator story but if you havent this is what happend. First day of K con this year and I'm going up the elivator with my friends to the food court in the mall to get some subway in my blue chocobo costume, and going down the elivator is this girl I've never seen before, ever. She has no cosplay, no badge, just a normal mall goer. She sees me, whips out her camera, and takes a million pictures of me. and Proceedes to go down the elivator. I shrugged it off and went to the food cort with my friends. A little later I turn around in line with my tray of food and there she is, taking pictures of me again. The second she notices I see her she runs off and I never see her again. Thats probelly the weirdest reaction Ive ever gotten from cosplay. I'm expecting a lot more next year since I will be Rosette, and there are a few churchs near bye the hilton.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
Re: Normal people and cosplay
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:58:42 am »
I haven't really had any particularly weird moments in cosplay -- though we did have a fun time explaining it to an elderly British couple at the park this Kcon (made more amusing by the fact one of my friends was dressed as Shinigami-sama at the time).  They were very polite and thought it was awesome, though.  (I had another older couple compliment me on my Risai cosplay out of the blue in the hotel lobby at AX, but that's not especially weird.)

However, I've had some pretty strange moments in garb going to and coming from Ren Faire.  I usually go running by the grocery store on my way out to the local one, because I pick things up for the guild, and I'm going in wearing a half-dozen skirts and shirt and bodice, picking up things like salsa or bread or something else deplorably normal.  The funniest was when I ran out of hands, not thinking to get a basket when I came in, and wound up balancing my soda cup on my head when I went to the register.  What?  It worked!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 09:29:49 am »
I don't really have any funny stories but I typically don't mess with other people when I am cosplaying, because most of the time they want nothing to do with you. If they are really interested in what is going on THEY will approach you. If they don't come talk to me I leave them alone. I don't do anything that would make them feel uncomfortable. For the most part (say if I was in the mall getting food) I would just order my food sit down and eat it as if nothing was wrong.

I think the people who annoy others while in costume are a little immature. It's good to act in character in a con setting but for simple meet-ups you should NOT act in character especially when dealing with people who know nothing about cosplaying.

I guess the funniest thing that happened to us at the con was a mom came up to us and asked if she could get a picture of us (she wasn't attending the con) because he teenage daughter was too afraid. The daughter was hiding behind her mom XD It was quite funny.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:31:00 am by nikkiolie »

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 09:47:16 am »
nothin  beats year 2 con when i was in a elavater with 2 links ( from 3 differnt link games) i was a purple link too, and this very drunk lady was waving her drink at us saying "i know for from link but WHAT character are you?!?!"

I explained the 3 differnt games and we were links from each one and she said

"I KNOW but WHAT character are YOU?!?!"

we were like is it our floor yet?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:48:44 am by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 07:52:38 pm »
I do love freaking normies out but not when they get violent.  >:(

my friend went as anthy one day to school and she got shoved and had cans thrown at her. I wore a cute neko cat girl costume one time and they kept making fun of me saying Halloween wasn't for awhile. I was fine with that but the physical insulting was just rude. however when your downtown it's just awesome because they don't touch you. they just stare. XD

da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 08:03:57 pm »
My bro and I had the same experience @ the mall too. It was just soooo funny when people look at you, take pictures, and just ask questions.  It was a fun experience, and cosplay makes me feel like I AM the character, so I don't have to be shy. ;)  Even when we purchased our lunches....the cashiers were just looking and smiling.

I don't really bug people when I am cosplaying unless they bug me.  I'm sure if I were them, I would behave the same (looking, asking, all out of curiosity).

I don't really cosplay when there aren't any conventions, so no stories to mention. ^_^
And so it begins...

Offline YouDontKnowMe

• Oni
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 05:53:21 pm »
I find it kind of embarrassing to go out in public dressed in cosplay when there isn't a con. If I'm around like 20+ people then I'm fine. I'm not one to embarrass, I will go into quiet/shy/depressed mode if I am.
09 cosplays

oslapedo

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 06:00:28 pm »
We should do public cosplay together, I do it all the time with my friends!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 08:36:27 pm »
Its always a lot of fun to do cosplay in groups outside of the con. Even if you are with a small group it is loads of fun.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 08:56:21 am »
I just remebered another story xD

It's K con 08 and I'm at the ice rink with the rest of the KH photoshoot group, and I'm skating around with Riku and Sora, (I'm dressed as Kairi btw) and aprently it was very cute when we were all skating together, but I hear a few shouts and I look up at the bridge over hte rink and there are tons of people cricling the rink and takin pictures and pointing at all of us on the ice! xD it was so funny, I heard a few "Omg! SoraxKairi!!!!" or something along those lines. I love ice skating in the mall now. :3 so we all gathered in the center to take a group picture and stuff and then flashs are pretty much everywhere!

walking back to the hotel to get ready for my skit (I had to leave early) one person says to me "I loved your guy's little show!"
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 09:19:26 am »
I always get "Why are you wearing that?" Or "Is there something going on?"
Whenever I wear my cosplay/s. I didn't have any funny experiences at the con but I did get some at meet-ups

I remember at the first cosplay picnic when all those tourists came up and took pictures with us XD That was awesome.

Second was at the second cosplay picnic where this group of girls stopped us, asked us what we were doing then took pictures with us XD

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 10:39:40 am »
I liked the tourists at the first one and the wedding group at the second one XD

That was so funny. I got to be in a picture with the bride and groom and I was slitting the brides throat while he tried to save her XD

Best time EVER!

Offline Yugure

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 04:14:38 pm »
Haven't had anything particularly interesting really, but it was kinda funny when we were at one of the beaverton max stations, waiting on the wrong side of the tracks for our friends that were going to meet us there.  The trains that went by, everyone was just staring at us.  One of our group members took out his camera to capture a vid of the reactions (mouths hanging open, pointing, long stares).  Honestly, I know we look strange but control yourselves please. At least recognize you are staring.  XD     
Did anybody else see that baby in the park?  Her/his eyes were huge, she just couldn't comprehend what was going on with all the bright colors.  XD
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 04:16:18 pm by Yugure »

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 04:31:09 pm »
Oh god, weddings ...

We actually had a wedding party come up to the Bleach group (it was during the photoshoot) at Fanime this year and ask if they could take pictures with us.  It was pretty random and awesome, especially Big Chris getting everyone with swords to do the arch for them.  :D

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 10:31:53 am »
I just remebered another story xD

It's K con 08 and I'm at the ice rink with the rest of the KH photoshoot group, and I'm skating around with Riku and Sora, (I'm dressed as Kairi btw) and aprently it was very cute when we were all skating together, but I hear a few shouts and I look up at the bridge over hte rink and there are tons of people cricling the rink and takin pictures and pointing at all of us on the ice! xD it was so funny, I heard a few "Omg! SoraxKairi!!!!" or something along those lines. I love ice skating in the mall now. :3 so we all gathered in the center to take a group picture and stuff and then flashs are pretty much everywhere!

walking back to the hotel to get ready for my skit (I had to leave early) one person says to me "I loved your guy's little show!"
ha ha yeah when people think it's for a play or something like that. especially when you costumes really crazy their like 'now what is this all for?' it's just so much fun.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 12:44:19 pm »

This last Kumoricon my friend and I were looking for food in our Bleach costumes and we came across some little smart ass kid.

He put his hands together and bowed saying " we come in peace"  I kind of  lol'd. No, it wasn't all that witty but he wasn't very old so I can give him that one.

The best that I recall was AX at long beach one of the locals asked what was going on then he realized " Holy sh** Your Renji! High five time NOW!"

I got that A LOT that year. ( yes, from 'normals') Even wandering around with Byakuya they completely ignored him and told me how awesome I was. XD

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 05:37:52 pm »
OMG HAHAHA I totally forgot about the bike wedding
That was so epic. They were all really cool about it too XD

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 07:08:18 pm »