Author Topic: How to make wings? May have trouble!  (Read 3345 times)

Offline misaxamane

• Sailor Scout
How to make wings? May have trouble!
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:52:58 pm »
Yes yes. So, wings. I'm thinking, some cardboard, a hole puncher, string, glue/hotglue gun, white, cream, darker cream, and brown feathers. 

Think... 13 foot wings *if that large isn't aloud, then what about... 4-6?*, starting from the top feathers, brown, darker cream with  the white ones and cream mixed in, a layer of cream feathers, and finally all the remaining room on the wings will be the white feathers.

How would I come across that?

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
Re: How to make wings? May have trouble!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 05:56:51 pm »
Magic.

Offline misaxamane

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:06:00 pm »
That was a little rude. :(

oslapedo

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 06:07:14 pm »
How so? o-O

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 06:08:58 pm »
I'm sorry. >///< As far as wings go, I wouldn't use cardboard. Insteead, I would use wire, or some sort fo plastic.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:09:08 pm »
have you bothered reading the topics in the cosplay section? If you have you would have found this http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=8336.0

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 06:16:22 pm »
Somehow I don't think that people would be happy with 13 foot wings unless you keep them outside. If you could do them folded in or smaller it might be better. As far as making them with cardboard, I would be worried about how stable they would be if they're going to be big. Maybe look up a tutorial that uses wire or something more stable like that. n.n

This one is a good tutorial BTW~ n.n
http://etaru.deviantart.com/art/Cosplay-wing-tutorial-56518340

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 06:18:30 pm »
I know that 13 foot wings wont be allowed. You have to be able to get through hallways with out any problems or hurting others and I bet 13 foot wings would take up the whole thing or close to it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:18:43 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline misaxamane

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 07:13:19 pm »
I'm sorry. >///< As far as wings go, I wouldn't use cardboard. Insteead, I would use wire, or some sort fo plastic.

Cardboard and wire hangers. The cardboard for the base. Paint it brown and white or something...

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 09:37:25 pm »
I would drop the cardboard idea. It won't come out looking clean, or professional. Making a wire base is your best option. Well, um, in my opinion atleast. o///o

Offline misaxamane

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 09:42:58 pm »
Matters how well a person can work a box cutter. :p

That or a wire hanger. and duct tape. Eh. Wire Hangers (about 2-8, depnding on the size.), Batting... Feathers, White, Brown, and light brown.

Won't need TONS of every one. It'll add up. Plus some of those uber-flufftastic feathers. :)

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 09:58:30 pm »
I, too, side with wire. I've seen some cool things with wire... not so much cardboard, when we're talking wings.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 10:03:01 pm »
I'm making mine out of copper wire tubing and chicken wire for the base. covering that with fabric batting, and then gluing feathers on.
I just prefer metal because you can bend it and make it more realistic, whereas cardboard is just....flat...and probably not as durable.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 10:12:07 pm »
I would say wire too. I don't think cardboard would look too good. I try to avoid using it if at all possible.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 10:29:09 pm »
Well honestly... I have a pair of cardboard wings (covered in fuzz and feathers lol) and it can be done quite well if you put the effort into it~ I remember someone on cosplay.com that made tons of cardboard props that came out beautiful *0*

You could use cardboard as a nice base or support, possibly wire as well, and add foam on top of that to add shape~

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 08:24:06 am »
Matters how well a person can work a box cutter. :p

That or a wire hanger. and duct tape. Eh. Wire Hangers (about 2-8, depnding on the size.), Batting... Feathers, White, Brown, and light brown.

Won't need TONS of every one. It'll add up. Plus some of those uber-flufftastic feathers. :)

heres my tip to you if your wints are a brownish color

I did a blue chocobo last year, while i didnt have wings I had a LOT of feathers. Michaels sells packs of feathers that are reallly hand.... you probally want to buy a multi shaded brown bowa (next to packeged feathers in the kids area) and a bunch of their brown feathers that come in clumps, you have to seperate them yourself.

and also did you look over those tuts I sent you? thos are inexpensive well done and decent sized wings.

and also, i recomend hot glue the feathers to your frame then tie them around tightly for insurance
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 12:18:01 pm »
again I personally like the way these wings turned out http://www.paper-wings.org/tutorials/wings/wings.html

I want to make that backpack XD

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 02:05:22 pm »
I know that I have used Cardboard as a centeral base for wings before. It worked really well. You can use wire for the actual wing outline but the cardboard against your back holds much stronger. Plus you can always cover it. Id love to see some sort of diagram or picture of what you are intending to do, it would make it much more easy to follow. Its hard to give advice if I cant see your thoughts. lol. :) Best of luck and im sure it will turn out great.

(Oh and as a staff member I will agree that 13 foot wings would probably cause an issue. Having wings as tall as you are would be allright, but that depends on how they curve. Are they going to hug your body? or are they going to stick out. If they hug or fall down to the floor than it would probably be ok if they were as tall as you are. If they stick out at 90 degree angles from your body than it would be a pain for others to get around you and we would have to ask you not to wear them in the halls. And if they go straight up than we might have doorway clearance issues lol. Once again pics would be ideal! )

Hope that helps! :) :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:06:48 pm by Deviant Spider »
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 10:29:35 pm »
Oh, little note. If you buy feathers from a craft store, be careful to check what direction they are *-* Well, mainly long feathers. I bought some to add to my wings and had twice as many for the left wing than the right D:

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 12:43:48 am »
And to continue with the wire idea:
Wire will make it lighter and also flexible. If someone accidently hit your wigs, the wire would just slightly bend and wouldn't be harmed, while cardboard wouldn't bend at all and possiblly break off your costume.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 04:01:58 pm »
ff, I dunno what kind of cardboard you work with, but for me it's hard as hell to rip D8

Wire's just harder to bend ;~; But you could always use wire as a support also if you have delicate cardboard O-o

As I said... last time...