Author Topic: This year's convention is terrible... (Ideas to make it better in years to come?  (Read 102483 times)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
princessmoon: <3 *hug* <3 You're a sweetheart, and the kind of person that makes staffing worth coming back to. (^_^)

I.e. a minor in heat...

Wut?

Incident from years ago; no harm no foul.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
It really is great to see people so involved and so willing to put forth ideas to make things better...
I wonder, however, if this surge in activity and frenzy of ideas doesn't happen every year after the
con. As someone who was a first time attendee I barely lurked the forum for the past few years,
dreaming of being able to go to the actually convention. I have no knowledge of if this is a re-accuring
instance or merely the result of issues presented at the Convention.

I am a little miffed (conceededly so) that no one, not even the original poster of the other discussion on
future years commented on my analysis of the surrounding hotels and their meeting halls! I was so
surprised I was able to comprise a working model, and yet no one else noticed... it got burried in the
conversation!

http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=11250.msg467875#msg467875

Regardless, looking to this year, we might as well consider the same possibilities around the hilton. What
hotels really close by offer meeting halls and gathering rooms? I found:

Hmm... a terrible lack in event space... *frowns* The Heathman (opposite the hilton main tower and caddy
corner from it) Has room it appears for up to 150 people... and the Paramount has room for 60 people?
Possibly 120 is they are meaning that each room can function for up to 60.

However,

A short hop skip and a jump away (on the other side of the Pioneer Square) there is the Nines...
They boast 14 whole meeting rooms:

Room Name               Area         Height    Banq.    Thtr.     Conf.    Rec.    Class     U-Shp

The Nines Ballroom   7,176sq. ft.  18.0'      540        900                800       450 
Culture                  2,415sq. ft.  18.0'      180        280       60       250      150       50 
Fashion                  2,415sq. ft.  18.0'      180        340       60      250       150      50
Design                   2,415sq. ft.  18.0'      180        280       60      250       150       50 
Design 1                1,225sq. ft.  18.0'       90         120       30      100        75        30
Design 2                1,225sq. ft.  18.0'       90         120       30      100        75        30 
Culture/Fashion       4,830sq. ft.  18.0'      360         560      100     500       300       60   
Fashion/Design        4,830sq. ft.  18.0'      360         560      100     500       300       60 
Studio                   1,440sq. ft.  8.0'        100        180        30     125          72      32
Gallery                   2,268sq. ft.  8.0'       150         250       54      200       120       50 
Gallery 1                   792sq. ft.  8.0'        60           90       30       60         45        22 
Gallery 2                   720sq. ft.  8.0'        60           86       30       60         45        22   
Gallery 3                   792sq. ft.  8.0'        60           90       30       60         45        22 
Gallery 1/2              1,512sq. ft.  8.0'       100        160        30      120        72        32 
Gallery 2/3              1,512sq. ft.  8.0'       100        160        30      120        72        32 
Meier Boardroom         528sq. ft.  9.0'        -           -           16       -          -           - 
Frank Boardroom         616sq. ft.  9.0'        -           -           18       -          -           - 
Georgian Room         1,450sq. ft.  9.0'       80         140         30       70       48          20 

I doubt it would be cheap.... so it's probably not a viable option... but... there is ample extra
room nearby if we DONT want to/have to cap registration....

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
The way you post it makes it seem like there are multiple rooms; in this quote I'm trying to cut that down to just the single large rooms without any splits.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury/property/meetings/overview_map.html?propertyID=1757

http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=11250.msg467875#msg467875

A short hop skip and a jump away (on the other side of the Pioneer Square) there is the Nines...

Room Name               Area         Height    Banq.    Thtr.     Conf.    Rec.    Class     U-Shp

The Nines Ballroom   7,176sq. ft.  18.0'      540        900                800       450 
Studio                   1,440sq. ft.  8.0'        100        180        30     125          72      32
Gallery                   2,268sq. ft.  8.0'       150         250       54      200       120       50 
Meier Boardroom         528sq. ft.  9.0'        -           -           16       -          -           - 
Frank Boardroom         616sq. ft.  9.0'        -           -           18       -          -           - 
Georgian Room         1,450sq. ft.  9.0'       80         140         30       70       48          20 

Those are the distinct rooms, everything else was just a variation of combining the space and having a pre-determined capacity rating for that combination.

I don't seem to see the Georgian Room on that map though.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
You are right, I am sorry, I didn't examine that quite as thoroughly as I thought...
heh! Guess I wasn't paying attention! Regardless... that is still (if split up)
About 10 more meeting rooms available to us... if that is what we need. I don't
know if it is... but it's an option!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
You are right, I am sorry, I didn't examine that quite as thoroughly as I thought...
heh! Guess I wasn't paying attention! Regardless... that is still (if split up)
About 10 more meeting rooms available to us... if that is what we need. I don't
know if it is... but it's an option!

~Allykat

While its true that there are additional rooms down the street, A few things need to be remembered.  By adding a third location (Hilton Main, Exec Tower, the place mentioned) you will be splitting your staff up even more.  So lets say there were 60 yojis and everything was evenly split.

This year it would have been 30 at main tower, 30 at exec tower.  Adding a third building into the mix would now become 20 at Main, 20 at Exec, 20 at new.

Next thing you need to factor in is weather.  If its raining, how many people would want to walk that distance for a panel or viewing room, especially those in cosplay.

And then the next factor is time.  We all know DT-Ptown is full of creepers, so would K-con be using this building with the 24 hour time frame, or would it be different.

Its a good idea to try and get a third building, but IMO, the second building thing isn't fun either. 
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
The second building is also kitty-corner across the street.

This other hotel (while it sounds reachable via Maxline within fairless square), is still farther away.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
This year it would have been 30 at main tower, 30 at exec tower.  Adding a third building into the mix would now become 20 at Main, 20 at Exec, 20 at new.

Well I certainly hope they didn't have 30 yoji at the Exec tower. There were only what, 5 rooms at that
hotel? Most of them small classroom style panel's/workshops? The only time when things would have needed
excessive yoji pressence there was durring the adult content times and even then, the yoji pressence was
lacking and I rarely saw much choas because of it. The executive tower was a satelite, an overflow area and
being as there wasn't a whole ton going on there, and it was all downstairs... I think that made things
considerably easier to maintain with the few yoji I did see over there. I am not saying it was understaffed, they
seemed to be doing just fine. And honestly I only went to two things over at executive tower, even though I
was staying there, so there may be panel/workshop rooms I didn't see. As far as I know though, you could split
the numbers higher for the main tower and the third hotel, and leave maybe 10 or so yoji at the Executive tower.

Also, if there are the same number of staff this year as there were at K-con 2009, then we don't have any
choice but TO cap the reg. The staff can't handle as many people as we have, let alone more. It isn't feasible
to grow without our volunteer group growing as well.

Next thing you need to factor in is weather.  If its raining, how many people would want to walk that distance for a panel or viewing room, especially those in cosplay.

I cry for my fellow Oregonians, I really do. It's hard to live here. But to Quote 30 days of Night:

"We live here because nobody else can."

You simply have to be prepared for bad weather. How does Sak do it? Even in April (maybe especially in april)
Washington can be even rainier than us! It's cold and wet and windy all the time, Oregonians and Northwesterners
have to expect it. Much like trick or treating you take into account the rain and the dirt and the cold and you
prepare for it. Unfortunately that means some cos-play choices are not feasible, or you have to be prepared to
Scotch-gaurd the buttons out of it. Umbrella's may not be an Oregon tradition but perhaps a friend with a less
intricate costume/prop can hold one for you to protect the wings you spent 12 hours hand making. Or maybe you can
get one or two of those rain ponchos and (since you are a master of the craft, and I mean that in a very real
way, some of these costumes just baffle me how they can be made by real living people and not machines!) create
a poncho that fits your costume, props and all, without damaging it. For those with trains and trailing cloth, think
about how it was handled in the 1800's. Mud was much more prevalent then, and girls HAD to wear floor length
dresses. Pick it up and start walking, or figure out a way to get it off the ground for the trek. There really is no
way around that.

It's difficult, no body is questioning THAT. However, it is the burden a beautiful cosplayer must bear to show their
wares and their art. Especially in Oregon and Washington.

And then the next factor is time.  We all know DT-Ptown is full of creepers, so would K-con be using this building with the 24 hour time frame, or would it be different.
Its a good idea to try and get a third building, but IMO, the second building thing isn't fun either. 

I think the solution for this is simple; Other than events that are for adults only, try to keep the offerings at
the far away hotel meeting space only durring daylight hours. Once the sun starts to set things should either
begin to shut down or at least move to straight adult content so that the kiddies return to the main hotel.
Anything after dark that allows children or under 18's into it should be at the main hotel so as not to have them
walking around late at night. As for adults... The buddy system is your friend, big numbers of cosplayers and con-
goers are less likely to be tormented if they stay together and stay focused on eachother. This is all I can really
think of as, having lived in Gresham and S.E. portland, the people of Downtown really seem rather friendly to me!
^_^

In the end it's the board and staff's decision to make.
Should we expand the convention to increase convention attendance allowance, in favor of longer walks between events and panels and potential security risks, or;

Do we cap attendance and keep it centralized, barring growth but allowing for security and convienience to the
attendees who do get a badge.

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
    • Myspace profile :)
Very well put AllyKat, I applaud your great understandings of this situation. I couldn't agree more. (No sarcasm included)

Offline trinket

• Sailor Scout
This is all I can really
think of as, having lived in Gresham and S.E. portland, the people of Downtown really seem rather friendly to me!
^_^

I agree with this. While I haven't lived in too many cities,only Portland Seattle and Olympia, I have by far felt the safest in Portlands downtown area compared to the others. In fact when i used to live in Portland there where every so often times that i would be out on foot or on my bike near 2 am by myself. (not that this is recommended). I mean once its dark as long as your staying within about a 4 block radius of the hotel your pretty much fine as long as you keep your wits about you.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
You missed the first part about yojis when I said Everything is split evenly for maths sake.

But it doesn't change the fact that you are still splitting up a staff into smaller groups.  As much as they appear to be, the yojis are not robots, so even if there were 60, split that in half since we could say half are sleeping.  That gives you 30.  if you threw say 6 into the exec tower, that gives you 24.  Now instead of having 24 people cover the hilton main tower, which you could factor say 3 roaming yoji per floor (and with 3 floors thats 9 yojis) dropping that down to 15.  Then if you want to have two work crowd control for say 6 venues at the main tower, that takes another 12 yoji out of the equation.

Your idea is sound, the only problem is staff.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
Your idea is sound, the only problem is staff.

That is always the problem! ^_^
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
 There is far too much here to respond to  every subject but one did stand out- 'age' and 'content'

For the love of God please, PLEASE leave it alone!

This is what has killed Sakura-con. Basically, giving its loyal, adult attendees the finger in favor of pleasing the easily offended and parents of minors.
This is an ANIME convention. There is going to be offensive (to the easily offended) and pg-adult material. If you can't handle it than DON'T GO.

Also ( this has not been brought up) At the con I heard people talking about 'the rave' NO ONE bothered to call it a dance. So...were pretty much just going to look the other way? Just continue to host Raves with nothing but techno that ravers could hear at least every weekend? Not even going to attempt to put a BIT of anime/Japanese influence into it?

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
About the 'dance'; I didn't go, I wasn't anywhere near it, and I didn't run it.  It seems -they- were there and know better than I if it were indeed a Rave or not.  However maybe 'Rave' is the kind of 'Dance' that a portion of our attendees like to attend (while a dance would be something they'd try to avoid because of the stodgy music).
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
Re: This year's convention is terrible... (Ideas to make it better in years to c
« Reply #363 on: September 14, 2009, 09:55:41 pm »
There is far too much here to respond to  every subject but one did stand out- 'age' and 'content'

This is what has killed Sakura-con. Basically, giving its loyal, adult attendees the finger in favor of pleasing the easily offended and parents of minors.
This is an ANIME convention. There is going to be offensive (to the easily offended) and pg-adult material. If you can't handle it than DON'T GO.

There have been a few threads in the past about this. This is a lost cause. :(

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
Re: This year's convention is terrible... (Ideas to make it better in years to c
« Reply #364 on: September 14, 2009, 10:00:03 pm »

I know that on the SC forum there is a guy there with multiple accounts who will gang-flame anyone who so much as mentions it so that no one even dares to do so. It's OBVIOUS he's doing this and the mods do nothing. I'm almost convinced he's a plant.

But...I was hoping Kumoricon was better than that

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #365 on: September 14, 2009, 10:17:42 pm »

I know that on the SC forum there is a guy there with multiple accounts who will gang-flame anyone who so much as mentions it so that no one even dares to do so. It's OBVIOUS he's doing this and the mods do nothing. I'm almost convinced he's a plant.

But...I was hoping Kumoricon was better than that

Who?  Wha?  Kcon is not going to do anything to reduce our content aimed at adults, echhi or otherwise.  We've been trying to grow it for years.  Who is saying that we are?
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
"There have been a few threads in the past about this. This is a lost cause. Sad"

That's where the confusion is coming from.  It sounds like we're axing adult panels.  I suspect it might have been referring to Sakura Con.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
"There have been a few threads in the past about this. This is a lost cause. Sad"

That's where the confusion is coming from.  It sounds like we're axing adult panels.  I suspect it might have been referring to Sakura Con.

Ah, ok, in any case, we like our yaoi, yuri, hentai and other panels.  Jason Thompson and Carl Horn doing late night yaoi reading FTW. 
Also, we <3 our non-ecchi programming that is aimed at older fans. 

2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator

Ah, ok, in any case, we like our yaoi, yuri, hentai and other panels.  Jason Thompson and Carl Horn doing late night yaoi reading FTW. 
Also, we <3 our non-ecchi programming that is aimed at older fans. 

Wait? Carl Horn was doing late night Yaoi readings???? And I missed this???

*is filled with regret*

How come this Con was so awesome and I missed so much of the awesome-ness doing other awesome things???? WHY!!!

*despairs into endless dreaming of cute shonen-ai pairings*
Thats it! I need a LOVELESS Costume and someone MUST be my Soubi.... Who is up to the challenge???

@Anyone thinking we've been talking about cutting Adult content:

I haven't heard that mentioned in this thread once so... unless this is troll infiltration, you are getting way too
worked up in the wrong place. The only time I (or I think anyone) discussed Moving or touching Adult content
was to put it in the extra space we have, so things for people who can't walk outside alone or in small groups
can stay in the main hotel and people who are older, wiser and more mature (example; people who can go to the 18+
events) will take the adventurous road to their panels!

But that was all forum non-binding not even really considered by the board type talk...It's just forumers and noobs like
myself ranting...

But hey someone really should cosplay Soubi for me... ^_^ You don't even have to wear cat ears! ^_^
(jk... no pressure!) Boy love rox socks!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
Jason Thompson and Carl Horn doing late night yaoi reading FTW. 

What what? How did I miss this?!? ::sadface:: What'd they read?

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
Suggestion #1 for ADULT content next year... BIGGER ROOMS.  I think we more or less have a good set of events, we just need the space to fit everyone in who wants to go.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #371 on: September 14, 2009, 11:49:40 pm »

That's where the confusion is coming from.  It sounds like we're axing adult panels.  I suspect it might have been referring to Sakura Con.

No, not at all. If source gets called, I can start digging for the thread tomorrow. My #1 complaint is the hypersensitivity that exists in standards to appeal to the general goon-off-the-street parent. The most recent instance was a discussion about a Hellsing cosplay, an in particular a cosplayer who would be dressing up in Nazi garb for a particular villain. The thread derailed to a degree about what is and isn't acceptable in terms of what. After some banter and wanting a cemented answer the final judgement by a mod was, "okay fine you want an absolute answer? It's FINE, unless we change our minds." The meaning of absolute was lost, proving the whole intent on getting a solid rule moot. If someone were to get offended, they'd have to change out of their cosplay. Extend to any number of other things and the rest can get diluted to mediocrity. 

In rereading, if the poster I quoted was referring to adult-specific panels, then my response is irrelevant. As I read it now, though, it seems pretty general to a con and not panel or show-room specific.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:52:07 pm by XFD »

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
We are of course still bound by the general laws for public places and spaces on the streets between convention areas, and the public areas (lobbies/etc) within the conventions are more or less bound similarly as they are well exposed to the streets.

Certain symbols are highly insightful, and the particular uniforms might cause... reactions that you the cosplayer would not desire from members of the general public you'd run in to.

My solution to this would be, if possible, to have strategic alterations that could be made to make the uniform more 'general period' than 'Faction from period' while not in deeper convention areas/photo-shoots.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Jason Thompson and Carl Horn doing late night yaoi reading FTW. 

What what? How did I miss this?!? ::sadface:: What'd they read?

I missed is due to needing to do work.  *sad panda*  But, I understand they did Gerard and Jacques and a bunch of other titles.  Andrew from Prog read the sound effects. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
Suggestion #1 for ADULT content next year... BIGGER ROOMS.  I think we more or less have a good set of events, we just need the space to fit everyone in who wants to go.
The Hotel only has rooms so big, Jaki works really hard on the schedule to fit in as much stuff as she can. There are already panels and events that can easily fill live1+live2 so making some events bigger would put the others into smaller rooms.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
The Hotel only has rooms so big, Jaki works really hard on the schedule to fit in as much stuff as she can. There are already panels and events that can easily fill live1+live2 so making some events bigger would put the others into smaller rooms.

:( Yeah, but I know of at least a few events which should have taken over the next-door rooms even if that meant we'd have to cut some programming.

Anime that Scared me for Life (Live Total)
Hentai (Should have taken over both of those rooms that were right next to each other across the street)
The Yaoi and Yuri panels each should have had similar space; if not Live Total
AMV Overflow and Off Hours AMV (adult AMV) should have had two viewing rooms combined.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
:( Yeah, but I know of at least a few events which should have taken over the next-door rooms even if that meant we'd have to cut some programming.

Hentai (Should have taken over both of those rooms that were right next to each other across the street)
AMV Overflow and Off Hours AMV (adult AMV) should have had two viewing rooms combined.

Programming's panelist staff make notes on each panel, including attendance, so they know what is popular and what needs what space.  There are also other considerations, like, combing rooms costs time and money.  The hotel does not do that labor for free, and, IIRC, the labor costs go up after a certain time of night.  Also, what tech setups each room has.  For the adult panels, doubling the entrances means doubling the staff to check age. 

I am not saying that they should get more space, I am saying that there is more to this than you are aware of.
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
It sees to be even more of a balancing act than I'd realized.  Any tools I create in the next convention year will definitely need additional feature input to help explore and track the related options.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline Kristy

• Cabbit
    • The Echo Chronicles

Programming's panelist staff make notes on each panel, including attendance, so they know what is popular and what needs what space.  There are also other considerations, like, combing rooms costs time and money.  The hotel does not do that labor for free, and, IIRC, the labor costs go up after a certain time of night.  Also, what tech setups each room has.  For the adult panels, doubling the entrances means doubling the staff to check age. 

I am not saying that they should get more space, I am saying that there is more to this than you are aware of.

Just curious about the programming staff.  In the panels that I ran, I only saw a programming staffer once and it was at my lowest attended panel on Monday.  Were they taking count at every event or only the bigger ones?  The reason I ask is that one of my events will definitely need a bigger room next year, but I wasn't sure if a staffer had been by and taken a headcount.  The Beginner's Para Para panel that I ran was beyond capacity for a good duration of it, even having some people dancing in the halls.  Those that were in the room had some crowding issues and I was concerned that we'd be causing some unintentional injuries from stray flails.  Ha ha.

Check out the TEC voice over auditions being held at KumoriCon this year: http://teccomic.com/auditions/

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
Panels staff were supposed to check in on each panel a couple of times to see how things were going.  Unfortunately, we were understaffed, so they got to as many as they were able.  When you submit for next year, you can indicate on the form how many you expect.  Since your panels were new this year, we guessed on room size... we'll have a better idea for next year :)

Yes, some of the panel rooms were smaller than anticipated, or what we needed.  And yeah, we could combine rooms, make them larger.  But that takes away from the overall count of rooms, which means less programming.  So, what gets cut?  Who gets the axe because this panel thinks they need a bigger room, or there are a bunch of people that want to see this one?  It's a balancing act, and not a simple one.  We try to make sure there is something offered for everyone.. what may not be your cup of tea may be the one panel that someone else is dying to see.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #380 on: September 15, 2009, 05:51:04 pm »

That's where the confusion is coming from.  It sounds like we're axing adult panels.  I suspect it might have been referring to Sakura Con.

No, not at all. If source gets called, I can start digging for the thread tomorrow. My #1 complaint is the hypersensitivity that exists in standards to appeal to the general goon-off-the-street parent. The most recent instance was a discussion about a Hellsing cosplay, an in particular a cosplayer who would be dressing up in Nazi garb for a particular villain. The thread derailed to a degree about what is and isn't acceptable in terms of what. After some banter and wanting a cemented answer the final judgement by a mod was, "okay fine you want an absolute answer? It's FINE, unless we change our minds." The meaning of absolute was lost, proving the whole intent on getting a solid rule moot. If someone were to get offended, they'd have to change out of their cosplay. Extend to any number of other things and the rest can get diluted to mediocrity.  

In rereading, if the poster I quoted was referring to adult-specific panels, then my response is irrelevant. As I read it now, though, it seems pretty general to a con and not panel or show-room specific.

It's theoretically possible someone misread the earlier posts in this thread about wanting to split the con into one kids day, one teens day, and one adult day. That could have the effect of reducing mature content; no need to hearken back to an old unrelated thread.

But in reality, it's probably just someone wanting to start confusion where none really exists.
  • A post so nonspecific to its subject often indicates cut/pasting.
  • Cut/pasting often indicates that someone is griefing/trolling (trying to get others to waste a lot of time arguing a moot point, while wasting little time yourself).
  • It's only brainstorming; there's no indication the split will ever be adopted.

There isn't any particular reason that I know of for anyone to worry about losing mature content. But if someone's honestly worried about it, the best thing to do would be to gain a voice. Become one of the people who actually make all these ideas happen, i.e. join staff. (Like the old joke goes, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, tell others how to do it.")
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:02:08 pm by randompvg »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline ashdandy

• Oni
Just giving my two cents:

I've been going to Kumoricon since its debut in Eugene back in 2003. I've never once thought of Kumoricon badly (even though I find that the staff is often rude/yelling/not even responding - but hey, some volunteers are power-trippin... To the polite and courteous staff, thanks!)

However. This has got to be by far the worst convention for Kumoricon thus far, and is my worst convention experience to date :/ I hate to sound as if I'm exaggerating, but it really was. People had tickets for the contests, but both the Hotel and Con Staff REFUSED to let them down in the main events room. I was lucky enough to get down there, but the main events room wasn't even HALF FULL. There was such serious miscommunication (apparently) between the hotel and con-peeps. I have my concerns about rude con staff, but the hotel staff was RIDICULOUS. I couldn't believe the way me and my fellow con-members were being treated. It was very unfair, and as the majority guests of the hotel, we should be treated fairly. It was really stupid that there was a "Normal Hotel Guest Line" and a "Convention Guest Line".... We ARE hotel guests, whether or not we have our badges on.

Unfortunately, due to the two year contract and this years result, I highly doubt I'll be returning to KCon next year - which is extremely sad, but I'd rather spend my money on a vacation I know I'll enjoy. Because seriously, I've never done so little at a con - and not by my choice. Panels were moved/cancelled without warning, and the staff wouldn't let anybody go anywhere - even to the main events.

I'm sure all of this has been heard, and I'm a little late on the bandwagon but I wanted to voice my feelings on the matter. Great job to the staff and other con-goers that were polite, courteous, and understanding - you made things bareable :)

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
Panels were moved/cancelled without warning,...

Okay, I have seen this posted a couple of different times.  Can someone clarify this for me?  To my knowledge, there were only a couple of panels that were cancelled (due to no-show panelists), and no panels were moved.  I know that some started late (unfortunately, that is not uncommon), but I am unaware of any major changes.  If someone could enlighten me, I would very much appreciate it :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:20:15 pm by Rathany »
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
Panels were moved/canceled without warning,...

Okay, I have seen this posted a couple of different times.  Can someone clarify this for me?  To my knowledge, there were only a couple of panels that were canceled (due to no-show panelists), and no panels were moved.  I know that some started late (unfortunately, that is not uncommon), but I am unaware of any major changes.  If someone could enlighten me, I would very much appreciate it :)

I too would like to know what events you had trouble with.

Are you also sure it wasn't merely confusion with room location/schedule items?   -Several- rooms had similar names and you may have mistaken one for another.  Creation Workshop and 'Workshop' or Creation Panel and Panel 1/2.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline xkuroxhanax

• Chibi
    • LJ, gaiz.
Just dropping by and giving my thoughts on this year. So, I love Kumoricon. Always have, but this year was definitely the least enjoyable. I mean, cons are always fantastic just being around all the people, but as far as actual con activity and environment, this wasn't the best. My main issues were with the hotel and staff, and the location.

As far as the hotel and staff went, I thought the hotel wasn't exactly big enough for what the con needed. The layout of the con was rather confusing, and having events on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and then 23rd floors was odd. It also caused an unnecessary amount of elevator congestion, which the hotel staff handled rather poorly, to be honest. I totally understand that hotel staff are stressed when cons are around because there are just so many people running around and going where they shouldn't be, and loitering like none other, but the way the staff was treating con attendees was kind of unacceptable. People who weren't doing anything wrong were getting yelled at and scolded for standing/sitting by couches.

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs47/i/2009/251/7/3/Summary_of_KumoriCon_2009_by_JailBreakDesigns.jpg

Also, people were constantly getting harassed about needing to move, but the problem was that there weren't many places to go, really. I feel like this con just needs more space. Maybe it's time for a venue change? I think that the con is going to be big enough for the Convention Center, soon. I think that will solve a LOT of problems. Because that actually relates to my other problem with this year's con.

Location. So. This year, the con was right in the heart of downtown, and while I love being downtown and having a bunch of stuff around the con to explore, the area wasn't that well-suited for a convention. I thought the Double Tree last year was fantastic, because not only was there food close-by (Lloyd Center), but there was a great place to just chill and take pictures (Holladay Park). I think the con would be better suited in an area that's less crowded than the main downtown area, personally. Having a park that close-by was lovely.

Of course, the rain played a part in the crowding, but rain is no one's fault, so whatever.

Just thought I would offer my opinions, in case they might help next year, I guess.
2009 Cons:
~Sakura-con 09
~Anime Evolution 09
~Kumoricon 09

Current cosplays:
~Axel (KH2)
~Kanda (DGM)

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #385 on: September 16, 2009, 09:26:39 am »

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs47/i/2009/251/7/3/Summary_of_KumoriCon_2009_by_JailBreakDesigns.jpg

Oh man, I'm sorry but that guy just looks plain old ridiculous. Is he trying to sass them with goofy posture?

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
What's amusing was that everyone CHEERED when we first heard that the convention was moving to Downtown Hilton...
(I was one of the ones who was not thrilled with the idea, but was quiet because I assumed that logistics had been researched. Would it have been better to have kept Kumoricon at the previous hotel? unknown....)

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
I was at the 2008 hotel. While I liked the hallways better, and the fact that there were -wide- stairways connecting the only levels of the convention, I felt we were already packed in last year.  That was with sun on most days and practically -filling- that park right across that side-street.

This year?  We'd have probably been shut down for fire-code if we'd happened to be at that hotel with anywhere near the cap we had.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
Oh oh oh! At opening ceromonies they should tell everyone where the parks are, and things of that sort. It would make it less confusing for those of us who have no clue where we are.
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline PaperRoxas

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • My Cosplay deviantART Account
But there really should've not been that much confusion as maps were made >>  I'm just saying.

It's kind of sad that it will still be at the Hilton next year, however, I think they will get a better handle on things.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
But there really should've not been that much confusion as maps were made >>  I'm just saying.

It's kind of sad that it will still be at the Hilton next year, however, I think they will get a better handle on things.

Practice makes perfect and it's better if we stop hopping around and have to keep adjusting and training
on new layouts/equipment.

K-Staff will have a good idea of what to expect and the experience to teach others
Hotel staff will have heard the horror stories and will be prepared when they "work the con"
Convention Attendees will be forewarned of lines and will plan ahead (like they should) to see their favs

All in all... seems like 2x in a row might help us be a better con! YAY!

Now if we can just squeeze in a few hundred more poeple.... ^___^

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline PaperRoxas

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • My Cosplay deviantART Account
xD yea seriously allykat

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
Hopefully a meeting can be arranged between the new board, the hotel, and the fire marshals; even more hopefully it will have the desired results.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 10:00:10 pm by MichaelEvans »
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
Hopefully a meeting can be arranged between the new board, the hotel, and the fire marshals; even more hopefully it will have the desired results.

....Or....

Maybe I'll finally get funding from the evil leauge of evil for my shrink ray! And I'll do a test run on
the convention goers of Kumori-Con! Thus decreasing there size allowing more of them to fit into a
space!

*laughs evilly*

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
Maybe I'll finally get funding from the evil leauge of evil for my shrink ray! And I'll do a test run on
the convention goers of Kumori-Con! Thus decreasing there size allowing more of them to fit into a
space!

*laughs evilly*

~Allykat

Unfortunately with everyone reduced to less than 1/4th normal height, legs are unable to use the stairways to exit or reach the second floor.  The elevator is still usable, but sticks are required to reach the upper floors.  The convention is shutdown due to fire code and the police searching for an evil mastermind.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
good point.... hmmm....

And so the quest continues!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
May I suggest making designated line-up areas by cordoning off specific areas into a queue? That way there would no longer be problems with lines going everywhere. And I don't just mean the first ten feet of a line, I mean at least along two walls before doubling back.

Of course if this creates Fire Marshall problems, then I understand why it wasn't implemented this year.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
May I suggest making designated line-up areas by cordoning off specific areas into a queue? That way there would no longer be problems with lines going everywhere. And I don't just mean the first ten feet of a line, I mean at least along two walls before doubling back.

Of course if this creates Fire Marshall problems, then I understand why it wasn't implemented this year.

I think the biggest reason it wasn't instigated this past year was lack of rope.

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
This up coming year for the con can there be a place where con goers can go to report abusive hotel staff or con staff?

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
This up coming year for the con can there be a place where con goers can go to report abusive hotel staff or con staff?

Isn't there already a place for that? Most hotel's have comment cards and front desk agents who will take down
names and information and report it to managers, and I'm sure the registration staff or the information desk can
point you to the proper authority to explain your problem to.

Unfortunately there really is no way we could have a "complaint desk" Cause thats just another space.. another crew
and we are already skeleton staff as it is. But deffinetely utilize the channels already in place. If a yoji is rude or abusive,
look for another one and have them point you to the yoji office where you can let the heads of the yojimbo and opperations
staff know. If it's reg staff, ask information or really anyone for the reg coordinator... actually.. you could once again
go back to yoji's and ask them for the ops coordinator...

really, unless you have a problem with the Operations coordinator themselves, or Yoji #1 and #2, go to them and they
should be able to channel/sort out your issues efficiently. If it's with one of them... ask someone for the vice chair
or another board member... Really... any of the higher ups should be able to take your complaint... or show you who can.
Just... ask! ^__^

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair