Author Topic: Beowulf  (Read 2248 times)

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
Beowulf
« on: October 31, 2007, 06:35:54 pm »
Okay, now I have been reading this in my English for the Major class, and if I could continue on in Old English, I would be reading it in Old English, which would be neat in and of itself. Great and complex storyline, would make a killer anime!

But the movie is coming out the 16th of November. Is anyone going to see this film besides me?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Beowulf
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:00:24 am »
I am for sure! I'm so stoked about this film. I have been waiting for a quality Beowulf adaptation for years now (and I have gone through a lot of crappy ones, might I add). I am definitely going to see it.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 12:39:53 am »
While I am not sure they are going to be able to do the story justice..I am wanting to go see it. Though I will be at a con that weekend so it will probably have to wait until the weekend after that.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 09:33:24 am »
My entire British Lit class is going to see it!

lol together? Thats awesome!
I actually thinks it looks good, Ive only seen one commercial for it though,

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 11:08:26 am »
kendo fiancee wouldnt mind seeing it as it was co-scripted by neil gaimen, but there are too many other movies i'd rather see like one missed call american version and the mist
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 11:55:41 am »
kendo fiancee wouldnt mind seeing it as it was co-scripted by neil gaimen, but there are too many other movies i'd rather see like one missed call american version and the mist

I agree about those films, but why not see them all? Aside from money, I am going to attempt to see each one. They all look awesome to me (except I'm a little wary of One Missed Call, simply because I am already absolutely smitten with the original, and thus I am a bit worried about what they will do to it. I know they changed the creepy ring tone and it isn't creepy at all now......boo)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 12:25:02 pm »
(except I'm a little wary of One Missed Call, simply because I am already absolutely smitten with the original, and thus I am a bit worried about what they will do to it. I know they changed the creepy ring tone and it isn't creepy at all now......boo)
i know, thats kinda why i want to see it cuz i really liked the first one the second ones story really verd off in a strange direction, i havent seen the 3rd missed call yet
also i wanna see i am legend
i wanna see the mist cuz it looked like they actualy did a good job on a scary stephen king story

tho  funds .... movies are spendy even at a afternoon show
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 04:15:31 pm »
...Thinking about seeing it. I live 35 min away from a theater, so I usually see a movie once every three or four months....WANTED to see Rush Hour 3, but....

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 06:16:11 pm »
I've seen only trailers, but at least they do have Grendel, Grendel's mother, and a dragon, all in the original work.

Some guys in my Old English class can't see Angelina Jolie as Grendel's mother. Why not, Grendel is human, just because he is a descendant of Cain, doesn't mean we can't have his mother be human, right? Besides from her Girl Interrupted role, I think Angelina can play a murderous grieving mother, no?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 07:14:50 am »
While I totally agree with their choice to have Angelina Jolie as Grendel's mother, it is quite a diversion from the description in the original text. In the writings, Grendel's mother was a rather hideous mass of foetor, slime and breasts. She was absolutely abhorrent, yet Beowulf was strangely enamoured by her. That is why I can udnerstand them placing Angelina in that role. The general audience who hasn't read the text would be hard-pressed to understand why Beowulf would be tempted by a serpentine blob, but creating the mother as an obviously beautiful and alluring figure (albeit malign) is much more easily grasped.

And just for clarification, even in the film, the mother is not a straight-up human (it's only alluded to in the trailer, but it does show the mother walking and an ominous tail dragging behind her, so yeah, there's that. I do think just from first impressions that they've done an awesome job and I can't wait to see it. There are differences, but overall, looks good.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!