Author Topic: Cosplay Critiques!  (Read 53085 times)

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
Re: Cosplay Critiques!
« Reply #250 on: August 27, 2008, 03:21:07 am »
AWSOME Ashitaka!! I can't believe you made the hood cover and the hay shawl too~ That's totally awsome! Are you going to try and make a bow and quiver of arrows too? ^^

I do actually have a bow (originally part of my Kagome costume), I just need to re-wrap the grip in new fabric. And I'll be picking up the suede for the quiver tomorrow...the boots used up too much of what I bought and I don't quite have enough. I need to get a few dowels and some brown feathers too, so I can make the arrows.

I love Ashitaka, he's one of my all-time favorite characters, and I want to make sure I do him justice. I'm really excited because one of my friends is doing San with me. We'll be wearing them Sunday.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #251 on: August 27, 2008, 09:57:36 am »
I want to see it. I will be looking for you all Day Sunday....you should be too hard to find >_>

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #252 on: August 27, 2008, 11:06:48 am »
Yeah, that Prince Ashitaka is amazing. Huge thumbs up to you for that. Are you and the San going to be at the Miyazaki photo shoot? Even if you're not I will be sure to keep an eye out for you on Sunday. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #253 on: August 27, 2008, 11:13:33 am »
Unfortunately, no. I'm organizing a different photoshoot Saturday that takes place an hour before the Miyazaki one, and there's no way I can get changed in time. So I'll just have to hope there are other Miyazaki cosplayers around on Sunday and grab them for photos when I can.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #254 on: August 27, 2008, 11:14:26 am »
Oh, well I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding people. Most people tend to wear their costumes for more than just one day, but good luck!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #255 on: August 27, 2008, 11:27:27 am »
yeah that is the reason I am not going to the big weapons photo shoot. I was asked to go as Temari but I also want to go to the RPG photo shoot that is 35 minutes latter and there is no way I can take pictures and change costume in that time x.x

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #256 on: August 27, 2008, 11:51:49 am »
Ah, yeah. I'm just fortunate enough for it to work out that I'll be wearing the same costume for both of those shoots.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #257 on: August 27, 2008, 12:34:47 pm »
Radien: Awsome Link stuff so far. That chain mail looks hella heavy oO;

Yes, it weighs about 18 pounds. Hard to hold up with just your fingers.

Thanks for showing some interest. Wish I'd gotten more than one response, though...
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #258 on: August 27, 2008, 12:42:26 pm »
I responded. I said Both costumes looked great. There is only just pieces of your costume to show though not the whole thing. I would never wear chain mail because it would be so heavy so you are brave.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #259 on: August 27, 2008, 12:43:36 pm »
I didn't see your post until just now, but that really is stunning. Is that real chainmail I saw? That's awesome. I can't give any suggestions or critiques, it just looks too good. Great work and I can't wait to see the finished costume all assembled.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #260 on: August 27, 2008, 01:32:33 pm »
dude 18 pounds? O_- seriosly going to cutdown on movement. awsome costume though....

gah i just woke up D: now i gotta run around and finish up my last costume today ~_~ or at least buy more lace for Mel cause i ran out last night.....

well chocobo is done, kairi is getting fixed at the con, and mel just needs the rest of her hemming to be finished.... so nearly close!

im just glad my chocobo went so well for changing it in one day <3 you guys dont get to see me in it till the first dayyy though! illbe a blue mess running around (and sadly its one of those costumes that you cant change in and out of with out 2 hours work so ill be in it all day)
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #261 on: August 27, 2008, 05:09:42 pm »
Yeah imagine how Link runs in chain mail in the games Oo; No wonder we always cheat and ride Epona whenever we can! ;D

Personally I'd like to wear one of my costumes all 3 days but I've got other ones I want to show. And I did wear my Kairi one all 3 days, but it wasn't as fun as getting to change it up.

x.x Just woke up myself. I'm trying to think of how I can fix my friend's white mage shirt still... Cut a slit down from the neck and maybe a eye/hook or snap somewhere in there... Or just hem it and leave it....
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #262 on: August 27, 2008, 05:12:58 pm »
I would want to wear a costume all three days but seeing how easily things come off I realized that it was a bad idea. My Temari and Hikaru are the best made and Albel looks great but I need to find a better way to keep the armor attached to the clothing. Hot glue isn't really working out too well.

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #263 on: August 27, 2008, 05:19:59 pm »
Clasps? Glue the clasp to the armor and sew it to the glove? Or superglue? XD *used on Garnet's sleeves. Turned out good*
KumoriCon 2012

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #264 on: August 27, 2008, 05:22:48 pm »
just got back from the fabric store.... 21 feet in ribon for the rest of me heming TT_TT god thats a lot

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #265 on: August 27, 2008, 05:23:36 pm »
Its more of the armor on my shoes that is the problem. I'm using Velcro ^_^

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #266 on: August 27, 2008, 05:24:53 pm »
Try to secure the edges that keep coming undone with snaps perhaps?
Kumori'15

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #267 on: August 27, 2008, 05:28:53 pm »
yeah I can try that. It wont be for this con but for Sakuracon I'll do it. I'm only wearing the costume for one day and I don't really car if the armor on the shoes comes off.....any other armor maybe >_>

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #268 on: August 27, 2008, 05:32:43 pm »
Hot glue, in my experience as an artbook Trinity Blood cosplayer, does not keep armor on very well. Use E6000 or automotive silicone. Of course, the automotive silicone won't come off no matter what and holds for ten years or more... It can be a good choice, but not if you want to take the armor off and wash the costume.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #269 on: August 27, 2008, 05:36:39 pm »
Velcro! lol
Iunno... just throwing things out there.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #270 on: August 27, 2008, 05:38:46 pm »
hmm well i wouldnt recomend hot glue... just burnt myself with it while glue'ing the tail to my skirt for chocobo o.-

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #271 on: August 27, 2008, 05:47:29 pm »
^^; I've burnt myself so many times with hot glue over the years I don't feel it any more. I get burnt go "whoa.." and peel the glue off XD
Kumori'15

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #272 on: August 27, 2008, 05:49:12 pm »
well im ussualy a bit more carful about it but Kenzie (who helps me with my costumes) isnt so much...  she tried to glue the tail feathers to my skirt and my shirt road up a bit so my back side is a bit sensative at the momment x.x

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #273 on: August 27, 2008, 06:57:07 pm »
OK, so at AE I premered my Kaede costume...only the boots were so painful that I had to switch to my gym shoes the other two days. Problem is Kaede doesn't wear gym shoes, she wears boots, and I spent 40 bucks on those and I don't want them to go to waste.

The big issue was that it was wearing against my ankles and I was starting to develop blisters. How can I fix that and still keep the boots?

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #274 on: August 27, 2008, 07:26:31 pm »
Thick socks. And change the insole to one of those cusiony ones.
Kumori'15

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #275 on: August 27, 2008, 08:37:55 pm »
Hot glue, in my experience as an artbook Trinity Blood cosplayer, does not keep armor on very well. Use E6000 or automotive silicone. Of course, the automotive silicone won't come off no matter what and holds for ten years or more... It can be a good choice, but not if you want to take the armor off and wash the costume.

Well I rarely wash shoes so I may look into this stuff....the problem is that it has to have some give when I am putting my foot into the shoe so I'll stick with Velcro for now

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #276 on: August 27, 2008, 09:05:16 pm »
OK, so at AE I premered my Kaede costume...only the boots were so painful that I had to switch to my gym shoes the other two days. Problem is Kaede doesn't wear gym shoes, she wears boots, and I spent 40 bucks on those and I don't want them to go to waste.

The big issue was that it was wearing against my ankles and I was starting to develop blisters. How can I fix that and still keep the boots?

Wear thick socks and put athletic tape around the socks. Might be a pain to remove at the end of the day, but that should protect your ankles nicely.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #277 on: August 27, 2008, 11:06:32 pm »
@ nikkiolie: Yeah, automotive silicone has give. It's silicone, after all. It has some stretch, but not so much that you can pull and it'll stretch away like gum. It's fun to squeeze once it's dry, though.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #278 on: August 27, 2008, 11:12:26 pm »
I'll look into it after the con and try it out on some shoes. Thanks for the help ^_^

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #279 on: August 27, 2008, 11:13:05 pm »
@ nikkiolie: Yeah, automotive silicone has give. It's silicone, after all. It has some stretch, but not so much that you can pull and it'll stretch away like gum. It's fun to squeeze once it's dry, though.

DUDE. Your timing on this comment couldn't have been any better. I'm in love with silicone at the moment. It's how I fastened my tentacles to my scuba mask. Also, I'm using it to make barnacles. It works great. It's soft, but pretty shapeable. When it's dry, it can move around without having to break or tear. It helps my tentacles stay on but still maintain just a little swing. Plus it didn't melt any of my materials.

And, it's cheap! Really cheap. But the caulking gun at the Dollar Tree, and one tube of paintable silicone caulking at Home Depot cost no more than $3. It cures in a day, and you can get a lot of milage out of one tube. I've only used one tube for my entire scuba mask and barnacles on the crab limbs.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #280 on: August 27, 2008, 11:16:09 pm »
wow that is a good deal...I wouldn't need a lot maybe 10 little drops ^_^

I could use it to keep the fingers of the claw together since those seem to come apart easily.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #281 on: August 28, 2008, 01:12:46 am »
I responded. I said Both costumes looked great. There is only just pieces of your costume to show though not the whole thing. I would never wear chain mail because it would be so heavy so you are brave.

Sorry, I didn't recognize that you were responding to me without a quote. Yeah, it's only part of the costume, that's why I thought you were referring to somebody else. :)  By the way, I went and picked up the rest of the costume tonight (minus the undershirt and pants). I'll take some pictures if/when I have time.

Chain mail really isn't all that big a deal, really. Unlike weapon props, it is weighted quite evenly over the very center of your body.  Link's chain mail is quarter-sleeve, too (think T-shirt length), which is about 3x easier to wear than half-sleeve and 10x easier to wear than full-sleeve. ;)

Also, people worry too much about it pinching. It really isn't that big a deal. Besides, Link's costume doesn't allow it to really touch skin anywhere on his body.

I didn't see your post until just now, but that really is stunning. Is that real chainmail I saw? That's awesome. I can't give any suggestions or critiques, it just looks too good. Great work and I can't wait to see the finished costume all assembled.

Yep, it's real! And it'll be real fun to wear, if a workout. I don't know what I'd do with suggestions. o_o The leatherwork is mostly beyond my spectrum of skills. I did make two or three useful suggestions to the person I commissioned them from, though...

dude 18 pounds? O_- seriosly going to cutdown on movement. awsome costume though....

It goes jingle-jangle, though. :D I don't think it'll be worse than having the sword and shield on my back, to be honest. Those weigh 15-18 pounds as well, but unlike the chain mail, they'll be bouncing around and knocking into things. :P

I would want to wear a costume all three days but seeing how easily things come off I realized that it was a bad idea. My Temari and Hikaru are the best made and Albel looks great but I need to find a better way to keep the armor attached to the clothing. Hot glue isn't really working out too well.

Personally, I think it'd be more appropriate to attach some straps. Sure, they may end up attaching to your body in ways that aren't visible in the game or the art, but think of it as added realism. Besides, straps are cool. :)

I'm also in favor of costumes that will last longer than 1-3 days before needing major repairs... hot glue doesn't usually help with that endeavor. It's a great quick fix, but rarely a permanent one.

DUDE. Your timing on this comment couldn't have been any better. I'm in love with silicone at the moment. It's how I fastened my tentacles to my scuba mask. Also, I'm using it to make barnacles. It works great. It's soft, but pretty shapeable. When it's dry, it can move around without having to break or tear. It helps my tentacles stay on but still maintain just a little swing. Plus it didn't melt any of my materials.

And, it's cheap! Really cheap. But the caulking gun at the Dollar Tree, and one tube of paintable silicone caulking at Home Depot cost no more than $3. It cures in a day, and you can get a lot of milage out of one tube. I've only used one tube for my entire scuba mask and barnacles on the crab limbs.

This whole description was pretty priceless to read. Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of cosplay. <3
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:13:51 am by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #282 on: August 28, 2008, 01:16:20 am »

It goes jingle-jangle, though. :D I don't think it'll be worse than having the sword and shield on my back, to be honest. Those weigh 15-18 pounds as well, but unlike the chain mail, they'll be bouncing around and knocking into things. :P

stilll....  thats heavy... well guess im a weakling xD i dont like lugging around heavy things... cept my nephiew Gabe... i always give in when he asks for a piggy back x.x

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #283 on: August 28, 2008, 01:32:47 am »
So I can look AND listen for you Radien xD Nice!

I'm for cosplays that can last several cons without needing repairs. If it needs repair work then it probably wasn't made that well >< That's one reason why I'm using a white shirt for my Roxas costume that I already had on hand- and wore actually at Sakura Con.
Kumori'15

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #284 on: August 28, 2008, 10:23:49 am »
Raiden, stay in one spot for a while so I can find you and take pictures, please.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2008, 10:45:19 am »
So I can look AND listen for you Radien xD Nice!

I'm for cosplays that can last several cons without needing repairs. If it needs repair work then it probably wasn't made that well >< That's one reason why I'm using a white shirt for my Roxas costume that I already had on hand- and wore actually at Sakura Con.

Yeah, you should be able to hear a "ka-chink" or a "ka-jangle." ;)

Street clothes that can be used for certain costumes sure are handy.

Raiden, stay in one spot for a while so I can find you and take pictures, please.

If you see me anytime during the day, I will likely be in costume. I spent too much on this cosplay NOT to wear it as much as possible. :P

Apollo Justice

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2008, 01:55:40 pm »
If you see me anytime during the day, I will likely be in costume. I spent too much on this cosplay NOT to wear it as much as possible. :P

That's how I am with my costume. I think you and I might be boiling in our costumes. Chain link? That sounds hot! Epic, nonethless. I'm sensing that water will be very important during this con.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2008, 02:42:04 pm »
Same. Unfortunately the I made a deal to cosplay as Temari with a few friends and I spent so much time on Albel that I only get to wear it one day.....but I'll wear it for two days at Sakuracon ^_^

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2008, 03:45:58 pm »
That's how I am with my costume. I think you and I might be boiling in our costumes. Chain link? That sounds hot! Epic, nonethless. I'm sensing that water will be very important during this con.

It's not the chain mail that'll make it hot... it's the shirt, T-shirt, leather tunic, wig, leather hat, gloves, vambracers, shin boots, and pants. ;) Chain mail will probably only make me hot by making me tired, so if I avoid running around too fast, it won't be as much of a problem. That's also why I'm wearing the T-shirt: better to get that sweaty and change T-shirts daily than to mess up the costume I'm wearing over it.

Davy Jones, on the other hand, couldn't be anything but stifling, I imagine, with all of the rubber and synthetics and makeup. Yours sounds like it will be pretty amazing. I'll definitely hunt you down. (but not kill you; I'm saving that for the Kraken...)

Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2008, 05:04:49 pm »
My Roxas cosplay has no sleeves, neither does Yuna.... But Aqua's got sort of sleeves.... I think the cosplay I'll be hottest in will be Diva: puffy shirt + puffy jacket + puffy skirt XDD I'll probably look like a colorful Jack Sparrow run away (from the movies I mean). It's that kind of nice English type.

I wish I could meet some other Trickster online cosplayers T-T But oh well. To be some of the first is still fun.
Kumori'15

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2008, 05:52:13 pm »
I'll probably look like a colorful Jack Sparrow run away (from the movies I mean).

You totally got my hopes up there for a second and smashed them flat. Haha. I'm hoping there will be a Jack Sparrow there. That'd be awesome. Either way, any costume that looks like that era is cool with me. Those times were stylish.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #291 on: August 28, 2008, 05:56:45 pm »
I agree ^^ I love those styles. I'd probably look more similar to a Jack/Elizabeth sort of appearance... *shrug*
http://i37.tinypic.com/s312de.png Here's a chibi of the costume I'm wearing. Cept with this costume you can have any hair color, and it can be the Red version (Primadonna) or the Green version (Diva). T-T I'll have to look for a red ribbon for the hair, since I can't find a green one bleh.
Kumori'15

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #292 on: August 28, 2008, 06:00:58 pm »
You have to go up to the Jack Sparrow and say "Do you fear death?"

That would be great XD

Anyway I got a nasty bruise on my arm and it's going to show up in my pictures >_<

I'm happy that Temari has longs sleeves but Albel and Hikaru have short sleeves.....actually they have no sleeves >_>

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #293 on: August 28, 2008, 06:08:19 pm »
but they don't hide the bruise.....its just right under it >_<

And I don't bruise easily so I was hit hard v.v
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 06:08:48 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline Winfred

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #294 on: August 28, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »
but they don't hide the bruise.....its just right under it >_<

And I don't bruise easily so I was hit hard v.v

Put a sticker over it! Or a temporary tattoo! *thumbs up* Or I guess a good amount of cover-up. >_<

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #295 on: August 28, 2008, 06:32:20 pm »
I think it will make me look tougher XD

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #296 on: August 28, 2008, 09:15:21 pm »
Albel: *points to bruise* Fayt beat me up for mocking the opponent too much.

XD; Well I'm wearing Diva monday, so I doubt I'll run into any photoshoots.
Kumori'15

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2008, 09:18:25 pm »
It's Albel's battlescar. XD
KumoriCon 2012

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #298 on: August 28, 2008, 09:19:01 pm »
lol aint that right? If anyone it would be Fayt I was going to say Cliff but he taunts just as much as Albel XD

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #299 on: August 28, 2008, 09:20:58 pm »
But then, of course, as luck will have it a Fayt cosplayer will come up behind you while you're telling the story and say "That's not true, he bumped his elbow on the bathroom sink last night."