Author Topic: Insecurity in Cosplying  (Read 20653 times)

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
Insecurity in Cosplying
« on: July 22, 2011, 01:10:58 am »
I am always so nervous and anxious that I will be horrible at my cosplay..

I am wondering if other people feel like this? like you're cosplay won't suit you or that people will mock you?

maybe I'm just paranoid.. lmao >w<

I just need some words of encouragment and inspiration, I think^^;

I'll love you forever^^
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:12:04 am by Ritsu-chan »
Kumoricon 2012: Princess Bubblegum.. 90%.. I just need to style my wig XC

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
Re: Insecurity in Cosplying
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:40:14 am »
Oh man xD I had sort of the same problem when i first cosplayed. The first time i ever cosplayed in a public place was when i went to the second Death note live-action movie in theatres as L. I got a couple of awkward looks by people in the parking lot and the snack stand, but so far so good. Then when i got into the theatre, everyone was like "Hi L!" in hushed voices xD Then i sat down with a group of cosplayers there and i had a blast.

Cosplay meetups have been my greatest source of finding friends and people to hang out with. Heck, i met the girl that ended up becoming my first real best friend at the first cosplay meetup i had ever been to last year. Plus, cosplay meetups are great for photos, exercise, getting out of the house and seeing new people, and most of all having a ton of random and crazy fun ^^

So far, i've never been called names or teased for cosplaying, but if anyone does to you, just ignore them :| Judging people by what they wear, no matter how silly or "different" it is, is something that they teach you not to do in pre school. To put it simply: It's just rude.
And if anyone says you don't look like the character, screw that, you know what? You ARN'T the character. I've cosplayed as so many characters that i look nothing like before and i still had a great time cosplaying as those characters because i really liked them. There arn't going to be many people in this world with the face or body of some sexy blonde god/goddess from some romance manga. It's not possible.
And if anyone says your cosplay is wrong or innacurate because you're missing a piece of it or the color is slightly off, just ignore that. It's not the easiest thing in the world to get fabrics that perfectly match up to the colors of the character's outfit, so it shouldn't be a big deal. And sometimes it's hard to find pieces of a costume, such as a prop or something attached to the main costume. As long as people are able to look at the ourfit you're wearing and be able to say "Oh! That's [insert character's name here]!", you shouldn't have any problems.

Anyways, good luck with cosplaying for the first time and i can't wait to meet you at the mall meetup this Sunday ^^

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:41:24 am »
ahh ^^;; Thank you so much Saki, you made me feel a lot better :D but this isn't my first time cosplaying >w< but it IS my first detailed, intricate and intense cosplay! Your kind words have made me smile, I appreciate the love^^ thanks Again! <3

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 07:17:43 am »
Ritsu-chan, go out there are just have fun with it.  If the squares in the world have a problem with your cosplay it's there problem not yours.  But if you want a fun visual that will make laugh.  This is my 3rd Kumoricon and the first time I'm going in cosplay.  Im a short fat girl and I'm cosplaying Vash the stampede a tall skinny guy and a genderbend of Wolfwood another tall skinny guy from Trigun.  I'm sure I will end up on an epic fail website but I love the characters and I'm just going to go out there and have a great time.  I'm sure your cosplay will be awesome.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:37:42 am by Drauska »

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 07:21:55 am »
I always feel like people are staring at me becvausde I feel fat >< I am ver isecure

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 07:29:23 am »
I always feel like people are staring at me becvausde I feel fat >< I am ver isecure

The way I feel about it is that there is something that your BF/GF spouse can hold onto.  Who really wants to be a stick insect.  I've never known a dieter that is a happy person.  You realize that the word DIE is in diet.  Need I say more?  LOL    ;D

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 09:26:06 am »
I have felt that way before and still do some times, because hey I am over weight.  After telling people I am pregnant, a lot told me don't gain too much weight.  I would like to point out I haven't. Maybe 6-8 lbs total with another 6-10 to go according to doc.

Even now while I am bigger then I have ever been since I am pregnant, the way my body looks, unless you know me and that I am preggers, I just look fatter to other people.  Tho they are not allowed to feel my belly and see its full of a baby that kicks more then a ninja monkey. 

One thing that I think helps is finding something you are comfy  in to wear or cosplay. By comfy I mean both physically and emotionally
 Something that makes you feel as awesome as you are.

Like I got my awesome maternity shirt in the mail this week that I plan to wear to con, Its like I am saying yes I chubby...and full of BABY!!

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 09:33:10 am »

The way I feel about it is that there is something that your BF/GF spouse can hold onto.  Who really wants to be a stick insect.  I've never known a dieter that is a happy person.  You realize that the word DIE is in diet.  Need I say more?  LOL    ;D

Yeah but when your told never wear lolita it makes me super mad ><

Offline Raven

• Cabbit
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 10:05:28 am »
I always feel this way, to be honest  ...
And like some of the others posting so far, it's partly to do with my body image ... I'm chubby myself, and well, I have an awkward time doing crossplays because my figure is too womanly T__T (even though I prefer doing Crossplays *does not like looking girly*)... I also worry because I'm not exactly the youngest person anymore and feel kind of old compared to so many of the other cosplayers who are still in their teens *is 27 years old* .... but I do it anyway, because I just like the characters I cosplay as and I think it's loads of fun ...
But I always wonder is people will accept me as the character I am cosplaying as ... still, I say that it's more important to do what you love, whether or not you make the best looking "whatever character you're cosplaying as" ... it's just important to have fun and love what you are doing!! ^__^
There will always be someone out there who will think you look awesome too, if that helps any!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:07:21 am by Raven »
Possible Cosplays for Kumori Con 2012
Pirate!England, Canada, Romano, and/or Australia from Hetalia
Male Blood Elf Mage (Levi) from World of Warcraft

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 10:57:43 am »
YOU ARE NOT FAT! but i know how you feel, I feel like people will be like look, fat (insert cosplay name here)~ =w=

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 10:59:04 am »

I.. LOVE... YOU! XD you are so great!

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 11:03:59 am »
Thank You SO much everyone! you guys make me feel much less paranoid^^ I appreciate all your kind words and personal stories! <3

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 11:20:22 am »

Like I got my awesome maternity shirt in the mail this week that I plan to wear to con, Its like I am saying yes I chubby...and full of BABY!!

I'm sorry, but i just have to point out that that shirt is awesome xD

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 11:38:44 am »
I have insecurities as well but most of mine come from my body. If a costume I have looks like crap I wont wear it like what happened with my N cosplay at Sakuracon this year.

But my main problem is that I like characters with revealing costumes and I haven't had too much of a problem until recently with Lilith and now Asuka's plug suit. I mean I wore Kuja for crying out loud but my body looks thinner if looking at skin than looking at tight fabric over skin. And in costumes like that I am always concerned about what others think. To help me with this issue I have a workout motivation folder that I look at before working out :D

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 11:51:06 am »
I have never felt insecure in cosplay but I have had some bad things happen.
I was with a Death Note group my first Kumo and we were all moderately dressed. We were all crossplayers and having a blast.
Then some normal girl comes up and starts ragging on us about how we are freaks. She started a fight with one girl in our group and then she left. Then she came back and tried to throw more punches. Then she left again... Then CAME BACK! We had to run to the hotel and ask a staff member to deal with them. They called security and when the girl and her friends saw us and made a bee line the security caught her and forced them onto the max to leave. :/

That's the only ever bad thing that happened but it didn't stop me. People give me weird looks sometimes but so what?
Last year I walked around without a shirt on half the time as Sasuko. I would get too hot and then just slip my arms out of my shirt (It's Sasuke's open shirt from Shippuden) so it was hanging around my waist. It was still in character and people never looked at me wrong which I was surprised at.

On the same side, I think some people need to feel insecure or a little worried about how they choose to dress. I was ready for something to happen to me but it never did. Other people seem too...well too secure.
Last year while in Pre-Reg line on Day 0 there was this larger girl in front of us in a white shirt with NO BRA! She was sweating like a sumo in a sweat house and her shirt was see through. D: I will never unsee her saggy boobs.
So don't be so secure that you walk around like that. But I guess that's more of a dignity thing, iunno. I'm pretty much all for, wear what you want unless I can see through it, or it's too tight. I don't like camel toe no matter how fat or skinny you are. :/
People who judge you on your size need a reality check but still be wary of what you wear. Some things shouldn't be worn by anyone, no matter their size. And make sure your outfits fit you and aren't super, super tight.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 12:07:50 pm »
Alright now that I am done making pancakes I can make a little bit longer post.

Lets see my first Kumoricon was in 07 and I went Sunday and Monday. At the time my best friend went the whole weekend with some of her friends that I really disliked so I didn't join her on Saturday. She texted me a lot while she was there talking about all the stuff going on so I decided to go. I didn't dress up at all Saturday and when I showed up I felt so left out. I'm not sure if this is your first con as well but I felt like I was the odd one out because I WASN'T cosplaying. The ext day I threw together a crappy Ritsuka cosplay from loveless (it was a terrible closet cosplay). I had more fun then.

Sakuracon 08 came around and that was my first actual cosplay. I did Youji from Loveless and I had a blast. I actually ended up meeting one of my best friends there through a girl that was also dressed as Youji. She came up to me for a picture and asked if I wanted to be an extra in their skit and I said sure. Thats when I met Bang Bang Neko and I <3 them so much.

Shortly after Sak I went to my first meetup after joining the forums. We went to the rose festival. I went alone so it was hard walking down the streets as Temari (Naruto). Again, once I meet up with people we had a blast.

After having so much fun at that meet-up I hosted my own, a picnic and about 60 people showed up. There I met so many people. Several of them became very close friends. I found out that one of the guys there lived about a quarter mile away from me and was going to go to OSU that year and stay in the same dorm as me. We are still close friends, some of you may know him a Patrick King, Patar, Mr. Mustach you name it. I also convinced two twins to cosplay for the first time and now I am close friends with them. I actually hung out with Meg yesterday and a few days ago we went to a sex shop where I got my newest wig ^_^

Because I knew Bronte from Bang Bang Neko I went to a dance where I met Zach Marsh from the anime hunters. I now live about a block away from him. I met the rest of the group and ended up dating one of them for a few months. Mewcon 09/10 I meet Lizzie Peterson through Zach and now she is my roommate.

I also met Ninja of the Night through Zach and I lived across the street from them for a while. Kayla made me this awesome cake for my birthday :3

So basically the moral is yes it may seem scary at first but don't really worry too much about what others think and just do it. I still can't walk alone downtown in a very elaborate costume so I still know how that is. But keep in mind that every cosplayer had to start sometime so they went through the same thing you did.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 12:15:03 pm »
It's odd. I'm quite fat but I've never felt insecurity over it.

No, my insecurity comes from feeling SHORT. I'm five foot six! That's not all that short, but I'm surrounded by all these very tall people at the con and it makes me feel like no one can even *see* me.

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 12:21:17 pm »
:/ I'm 5'3"...

Nikki - I love that cake~<3

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 12:46:24 pm »
I'm 5'6" and no I'm not 6' like I wish I was but I'm not that short either. Everyone in my family is tall my little brother is 6'4" and my mom is 5'11" but I'm the same height as my gf and we like it that way, my insecurity comes from my weight, especially my chubby baby face =w= how the eff do i tone my JAW?

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 03:19:55 pm »
Lmfao , my issue is my height and weight . Im a fat 5'5" - 5'4" cosplayer xD i feel like im not good enough to make amazing cosplayers or whatever. I dont know , i agree with .. You all on stuff?
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline Raven

• Cabbit
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 03:42:12 pm »
If it helps any, I'm 5'2 and chubby ... XD ... but honestly, my height doesn't bother me at all, just my weight ... and my face too I guess ... I just have a stupid face! XD ... but oh well! Cosplaying is fun, and that is all that matters!
Possible Cosplays for Kumori Con 2012
Pirate!England, Canada, Romano, and/or Australia from Hetalia
Male Blood Elf Mage (Levi) from World of Warcraft

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 04:33:49 pm »
I'm 5'6" [i think] and chubby fat but cosplaying is still triple fun! I also have chubby cheeks that make me look like a hamster. and my VERY poofy thick ginger/light brown hair doesn't really help. but hey, that's genetics. However, it does bother me sometimes when my much skinnier friends say they're fat and need to work out and I'm sitting over here with a bag of cheetos like "What?"

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 04:34:52 pm »
Lmfao , my issue is my height and weight . Im a fat 5'5" - 5'4" cosplayer xD i feel like im not good enough to make amazing cosplayers or whatever. I dont know , i agree with .. You all on stuff?
I have to say this, I have seen you at kumoricon as Mustang before and you are AMAZING, I think you are a great cosplayer and I admire you

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 04:42:17 pm »
@ tanuki I know what you mean about your friends, my gf and my best friend are both thin and talk about how they need to diet or work out and I'm like umm =w= lol and I go on te getting in shape for kumo 2011 thread on here and people are like i'm 5'6" and weigh 131 and I'm gonna lose weight and I'm like I've never been 131 in my life lol (well at least not since elementary school lol)

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 04:48:13 pm »
@ tanuki I know what you mean about your friends, my gf and my best friend are both thin and talk about how they need to diet or work out and I'm like umm =w= lol and I go on te getting in shape for kumo 2011 thread on here and people are like i'm 5'6" and weigh 131 and I'm gonna lose weight and I'm like I've never been 131 in my life lol (well at least not since elementary school lol)

TOTALLY. I'm always a little worried about doing cosplays that go together with my best friend's cause she's thin and i'm bleh. I sometimes think that people are gonna be like "wow, look at her cosplay!" and then look at me and go "what is that?" But i don't let it bother me much cause they can just go away. all that matters is i like to cosplay and i also like food.

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 05:07:55 pm »

TOTALLY. I'm always a little worried about doing cosplays that go together with my best friend's cause she's thin and i'm bleh. I sometimes think that people are gonna be like "wow, look at her cosplay!" and then look at me and go "what is that?" But i don't let it bother me much cause they can just go away. all that matters is i like to cosplay and i also like food.
yeah, thats how it goes, it's like a universal law lol but it's ok cuz we are awesome!

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 06:13:49 pm »

yeah, thats how it goes, it's like a universal law lol but it's ok cuz we are awesome!

internet high five

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 06:36:36 pm »
I have to say this, I have seen you at kumoricon as Mustang before and you are AMAZING, I think you are a great cosplayer and I admire you
zdfsdgfd. omg ; /// ; I'm very much so flattered. I don't recall seeing you - but dsfgfd. thank you.

ON TOPIC THOUGH ,

oddly , Sakuracon makes me weary .. so many great cosplays . People there are more ... i dont know how to put it.
but kcon makes me feel at home. we're friendly ?
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 07:09:45 pm »

oddly , Sakuracon makes me weary .. so many great cosplays . People there are more ... i dont know how to put it.

I wouldn't worry too much about Sakuracon. Yeah there are a lot of good cosplayers there but there are A LOT of PEOPLE there so you kinda blend in. I would actually think Kumoricon would be worse since you know a large majority of the people there.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 07:19:19 pm »

Thats how it was growing up with my brothers (who inherited the metabolism and tallness) I am 5 3 I felt like "these are my sons! and thats my daughter...

Esp funny is my hubby is 6 2'' and skinny. Tho how I don't know cuz he eats all the time!  But it works cuz he can make me feel tiny and cute.  Most of the time, right now, too full of baby to feel little anything but sore feel (but so worth it)

Tho I do hope that baby gets the tall genes

I just
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 08:05:43 pm »
I hate my body...Okay, not hate, but I dislike my size and am working on it. But the best thing about cosplay is most people don't even know who you are. So who really cares what they think?! I mean, I do care, b/c I want to become a well-known cosplayer, but really, you should just have fun. And if people hurt on you, that's b/c they're jealous that they can't have the skills to do such a great cosplay as you ;)

Just have fun, and there will always be people out there to praise you lol
Do something unique! I make all my cosplays from clothes I get from Goodwill and such and people think that's absolutely awesome! No matter how I really look in the outfit.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 08:45:09 pm »

I know exactly what you're talking about. Sakuracon seems like the big leagues while Kcon is like a home town get together with all your friends.

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 09:30:10 pm »

internet high five
and a fist ppound :3 boom~ lol

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 09:32:50 pm »
zdfsdgfd. omg ; /// ; I'm very much so flattered. I don't recall seeing you - but dsfgfd. thank you.

ON TOPIC THOUGH ,

lol I'm not rememberable, I had a crappy cosplay lol but this year.. it'll be different! I've never been to any other cons, I have to save up all year just for kumo!

Offline Jluvial

• Cabbit
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 10:04:50 pm »
I know that feeling... I hope that not only will my sewing come out well, but everything else I need to do for this crossplay. Makeup is so strange to me...

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 11:22:28 pm »
I just want to encourage everyone to try and discern the difference between "people hating on your cosplay and being mean" and people giving genuine criticism with the intent to make you a better cosplayer. I think everyone should have fun with their cosplay, but should also aim to do the best they can. So, if someone is truly just trying to give you some helpful advice, try to be understanding and apply it to make your costume better.

It's one thing for someone to be rude (and these people don't deserve your time or distress), but if someone tries to give you some valid advice, try to be understanding and make your cosplay as amazing as it can be. Always strive to be the best and do the best job! ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline OokamiYami

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2011, 12:30:48 am »
I just want to encourage everyone to try and discern the difference between "people hating on your cosplay and being mean" and people giving genuine criticism with the intent to make you a better cosplayer. I think everyone should have fun with their cosplay, but should also aim to do the best they can. So, if someone is truly just trying to give you some helpful advice, try to be understanding and apply it to make your costume better.

It's one thing for someone to be rude (and these people don't deserve your time or distress), but if someone tries to give you some valid advice, try to be understanding and make your cosplay as amazing as it can be. Always strive to be the best and do the best job! ^_^

I agree with EveofAbyss. Cosplay is all about having fun. Just don't mind those idiotic people who complain a lot. If they want freaking professional cosplayers, they might as well head to Japan or something. But seriously, just have fun and don't mind them. :)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2011, 12:57:05 am »
To me, the difference between constructive criticism and destructive criticism can be seen most clearly in this: Are they already aware of what you're going to say, and do they have any control over it?
  • If you say "It looks like you popped a seam, and your butt is kinda hanging out... would you want to borrow a couple of safety pins?", you're not being a jerk. You're trying to let them know something they probably don't, and they are able to fix it.
  • If you say "People of XYZ race shouldn't try to cosplay Maito Gai", you're being a jerk on both accounts. There's no doubt they know what race they are, and they have no control over their birth. And if they're cosplaying Maito Gai, then their opinion is obviously different than yours. What makes yours better?
  • If you say "I think you're too fat to cosplay Yoko", you're already a jerk on the first account. Don't you think they know better than you what they look like in the mirror? And on the second account, a significant amount of obesity is genetic, and there's very little the person can do. How do you know that's not true, which would make you a jerk on that account as well?

If you're criticizing someone with something they already know... why? Is it likely that a stranger's opinion will make someone change their mind about that which they already know? Or is it most likely to hurt feelings or start a fight?

And if you're criticizing someone for something they can't change... why? Isn't that kinda being a whole new level of jerk?

~~~

Like EveofAbyss says, people who destructively criticize aren't worth the time. If you're having fun with it and you're not hurting anyone, your opinion is just as valid as (if not more than) theirs. And if it's something you can't change, then by definition their criticism is pointless.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2011, 09:24:35 am »
To me, the difference between constructive criticism and destructive criticism can be seen most clearly in this: Are they already aware of what you're going to say, and do they have any control over it?

If you're criticizing someone with something they already know... why? Is it likely that a stranger's opinion will make someone change their mind about that which they already know? Or is it most likely to hurt feelings or start a fight?

And if you're criticizing someone for something they can't change... why? Isn't that kinda being a whole new level of jerk?

YES! like when people walk by or drive by and call me a fat dyke or a lesbo or whatever, it's hurts a little but then I start laughing, like " WHAT? I DIDN"T KNOW I WAS GAY! OH LORDY HELP ME!! T~T I DIDN'T KNOW DATING ANOTHER WOMAN MADE ME GAY!!" lmfao

Basically I'm just afraid to be remember as fat (insert cosplay here)... but you all help me to feel like that won't happen

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2011, 09:39:46 am »
If that is a valid fear for you, I'll be the one to encourage you to cosplay to your body type. It's only a suggestion, so of course take it or leave it, but I know cosplaying to your body type can go far in cosplay believability.

But then again, as everyone else here has said, ultimately you should do what you want and do what you will have the most fun with. It's not to be expected that everyone cosplaying is entering some competition. Most are doing it just for fun, so it's unfair to hold everyone to competitive standards. I can understand that, but I will still put the encouragement out there. I'm a huge 350 lb. dude and I try to cosplay to my body type, and it makes me feel worlds better about my cosplays once finished, because I don't have that fear of misrepresenting my character. Just an offered option.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2011, 09:43:50 am »
If that is a valid fear for you, I'll be the one to encourage you to cosplay to your body type. It's only a suggestion, so of course take it or leave it, but I know cosplaying to your body type can go far in cosplay believability.

But then again, as everyone else here has said, ultimately you should do what you want and do what you will have the most fun with. It's not to be expected that everyone cosplaying is entering some competition. Most are doing it just for fun, so it's unfair to hold everyone to competitive standards. I can understand that, but I will still put the encouragement out there. I'm a huge 350 lb. dude and I try to cosplay to my body type, and it makes me feel worlds better about my cosplays once finished, because I don't have that fear of misrepresenting my character. Just an offered option.
Thank you :D I think that by choosing male characters I am choosing something more appropriate for my body since that's how I dress most of the time any ways^^

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2011, 12:40:23 pm »
YES! like when people walk by or drive by and call me a fat dyke or a lesbo or whatever, it's hurts a little but then I start laughing, like " WHAT? I DIDN"T KNOW I WAS GAY! OH LORDY HELP ME!! T~T I DIDN'T KNOW DATING ANOTHER WOMAN MADE ME GAY!!" lmfao

Basically I'm just afraid to be remember as fat (insert cosplay here)... but you all help me to feel like that won't happen

That was the best... I haven't laughed like that in at least a good couple of days; thank you. <3

And that really is the best way to deal with stuff that's stressful, hurtful, or a bunch of other -fuls... pretend it's funny, even when it isn't. But usually it's possible to see how it IS funny. All ya have to do is step outside the situation for a moment to realize how petty, dumb, childish, and/or whatever else* it is.

(* -I have to do this on a regular basis with some of my coworkers, and I've found it helps to imagine them as a petulant six-year-old. Bonus points if you can imagine an expression like Chris Crocker. ;))
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2011, 11:26:28 pm »

That was the best... I haven't laughed like that in at least a good couple of days; thank you. <3

And that really is the best way to deal with stuff that's stressful, hurtful, or a bunch of other -fuls... pretend it's funny, even when it isn't. But usually it's possible to see how it IS funny. All ya have to do is step outside the situation for a moment to realize how petty, dumb, childish, and/or whatever else* it is.

(* -I have to do this on a regular basis with some of my coworkers, and I've found it helps to imagine them as a petulant six-year-old. Bonus points if you can imagine an expression like Chris Crocker. ;))
lol thank you for your kind words, you make me laugh^^

Offline Tobias

• Chibi
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2011, 08:05:53 pm »
Well, I'll post my story. 

I've got a problem when it comes to cosplaying: I'm black. I've got very few options if I want to be an accurate cosplayer, and most of the characters I don't like or I've never heard of them.  Last year was my first time cosplaying as Russia from hetalia.  I chose to cosplay that because I love the charachter.  I was really nervouse that people would make fun of me or not talk to me because I was chosing someone clearly not for me, (ie: skinny and white) Race has never been an issue for me,   When I went to the photoshoot I had a blast! The people are always friendly, regardless of who you are. I've been stopped in the street by past hetalia cosplayer who know me as afro russia XD.

(TL;DR) I'm bad with words, but what I'm trying to say is that do a cosplay because you love it.  Regardless of what others think, if you're having fun, then that should be all that matters.
Done:
Garterbelt (Panty & Stocking)
Fem!Demoman (TF2)

2013:
Attack on titan uniform

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2011, 11:00:07 pm »
Thanks for your story, you reminded me of what's really important here!

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2011, 11:15:49 pm »
another thing is that its called cosPLAY not cosSERIOUS. Cosplay is supposed to be fun! its in the name!

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2011, 11:47:14 pm »
You all rock my world so much! You know just what to say to get me back on track!

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2011, 12:13:23 pm »

Yeah but when your told never wear lolita it makes me super mad ><

Wear that Lolita and rock the socks off of it!

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 04:35:19 pm »
I've been lucky in that my mom is a costume nut, and is a larger woman who doesn't care what other people think of her costumes. She just puts her all into whatever she makes and rocks them. I'm not always that confident about cosplaying certain characters, but I'm getting to the point where I just want to wear what I want, and too bad if other people don't like the fact that I'm not a perfect clone of the character.

This year is my first year cosplaying a really (currently) popular character/costume though...that's honestly what I'm most paranoid about...^^;;
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline shikyo

• Chibi
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 07:26:40 pm »
I don't cosplay for con goers I cosplay because I absolutely LOVE the "publics" reactions. There's just something about the joy of seeing the publics  :o ??? ;D look when you walk down the street or going into diners. I'm overweight but truely, I don't care what people think, life is way too short to always be worrying. Love your body. <3
A cosplayer shouldn't feel insecure whether they're thin or overweight. It's all about having fun and because you love the character you chose. The only issue I do have is when too much skin is showing, thin or not.. If you(as in general) have rolls, please keep them covered. Choose characters that have the right amount of clothing, for example I'm overweight so I choose characters that have a lot of clothing on. I cosplay Hannah from Kuroshitsuji, she's tall, thin, and darker skin then me but you know what, her clothes are what fits me because nothing is being shown. An overweight cosplayer can look great with the right cosplay.  ;D
My hannah cosplay ;D