Author Topic: 2012 Cosplay Progress Thread  (Read 324873 times)

Offline kappa roll

• Sailor Scout
Re: 2012 Cosplay Progress Thread
« Reply #1500 on: August 07, 2012, 05:12:14 pm »
Nearly done painting the polka dot pants for my Gamzee cosplay. I picked up a sweet wig today for about 12 bucks, but I'm worried it's too short. :T
As well I've got the horns all shaped and what-not, I just need to sand 'em a bit and paint them. I'm surprised I could get all of this together so quickly actually. Also, I found a costume shop with that Ben Nye Creme Liner stuff that I'll need. I think "cadaver grey" looks like it'll be the perfect color, and they have white as well. Not sure if they have any darker greys, though. I'll be picking that up in about a week. Other than that, I just need the arm socks and t-shirt.

On the subject of the horns, anyone know how I can keep them attached? Like, I know a headband should work, but how do I connect them to the headband? They don't have wooden dowels in the center as suggested by that one tutorial, so I can't exactly drill screws into them. :F

the best way to get the right troll grey is mix one 'grey' with one 'white' and it comes out perfect.

but attach your horns to the headband with 1 1/2 inch (or longer) wood screws. since gamzee's horns are so long, it's difficult to keep them secured with anything less.

| roxy lalonde (100%) | kh2 sora (0%) | akira agarkar yamada (25%) | judal (100%) | fem!trickster!god tier! john (100%) |

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #1501 on: August 07, 2012, 09:04:01 pm »
After my second trip to Goodwill, I secured a pink dress, red sneakers, red purse, and another green jacket that has absolutely nothing to do with my cosplay... :D

I ordered both wigs, and I found a stuffed dog that will work for Angelica.

We also secured an old Verizon flip phone.. not sure if it's the best one just yet..

To do: take in green jacket, hem pink dress and sew on white fringe, sew wings and harness for Angelica, lay out design for phone
To find: Takizawa's army-green jacket, Saki's red coat, boots.. I see another Goodwill in my future!

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1503 on: August 08, 2012, 01:00:26 am »
Sweeeeet!  Looks good, Neko!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline 9LRCenturion

• Sailor Scout
    • deviantArt
« Reply #1504 on: August 08, 2012, 01:00:47 am »
Got my wig for Kyouya~ All I need now are the glasses and shoes, then I'm set. *thumbs up*
2012 Cosplay: Pirate!Spain, Kyouya Ootori

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #1505 on: August 08, 2012, 08:01:03 am »
I've waited way too long to get going on my cosplay. I still have nothing that I need. Just ordered the Foamcoat I'm going to need for my harpoon, the only progress of which I've made so far being cutting a hole out of a styrofoam disc. Awesome.

I need someone to kick me or set my pants on fire or something.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Lady In Red

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1506 on: August 08, 2012, 08:15:51 am »
God tier Sollux progress! :)
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/311582_500755766604460_1328569501_n.jpg
I still have to make the wings but I'm done other than that!
Kumori-con 2013 cosplay plans:
Day zero: Sollux Captor
Day one: Meenah peixes
Day two: Fem! Grand highblood.
Day three: We leave at about 1:30 pm, and it's a long drive home, so no cosplay on day three. Too much make up to take on and off, haha.

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #1507 on: August 08, 2012, 09:34:43 am »
I've waited way too long to get going on my cosplay. I still have nothing that I need. Just ordered the Foamcoat I'm going to need for my harpoon, the only progress of which I've made so far being cutting a hole out of a styrofoam disc. Awesome.

I need someone to kick me or set my pants on fire or something.

Virtual ::KICK:: !!  I'm right there with you :)  Welcome to the club of last-minute procrastinators!  :D

Offline EmAino

• Chibi
« Reply #1508 on: August 08, 2012, 04:12:24 pm »
On the plus side, I got my wig for Captain Unohana the day before yesterday. :D   On the down side, my wig cap has gone AWOL. Sigh.
Sakuracon 2014
Kyoko Sakura - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Yugito Nii - Naruto Shippuden
Sailor Jupiter - Sailor Moon

Kumoricon
God Tier Jane Crocker - Homestuck
Komachi Onozuka - Touhou

Offline Darzoz

• Oni
« Reply #1509 on: August 08, 2012, 05:52:18 pm »

One or two more coats and they should be painted. Do they look to cracked/bumpy or do ya' think I did okay?
the best way to get the right troll grey is mix one 'grey' with one 'white' and it comes out perfect.

but attach your horns to the headband with 1 1/2 inch (or longer) wood screws. since gamzee's horns are so long, it's difficult to keep them secured with anything less.
The grey I found was a little different, so I'm not sure about mixing, I'm sure I can play around with that once I've got a bit on hand. But about the horns, I said they don't have wood in them, meaning wood screws aren't possible. They've got thick wires and aluminum foil in the center. I'm sure I'll figure something out. I guess.

Also, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a hold of any really good teeth unfortunately, might have to settle for either cheap ones, or just none at all.
Q.

Offline kappa roll

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #1510 on: August 08, 2012, 06:04:48 pm »

One or two more coats and they should be painted. Do they look to cracked/bumpy or do ya' think I did okay?
The grey I found was a little different, so I'm not sure about mixing, I'm sure I can play around with that once I've got a bit on hand. But about the horns, I said they don't have wood in them, meaning wood screws aren't possible. They've got thick wires and aluminum foil in the center. I'm sure I'll figure something out. I guess.

Also, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a hold of any really good teeth unfortunately, might have to settle for either cheap ones, or just none at all.

i have foil in the center of mine. i only specified wood screws cuz work well on pretty much any soft material. but just hitting up a hardware store and seeing what kind of screws they have.

| roxy lalonde (100%) | kh2 sora (0%) | akira agarkar yamada (25%) | judal (100%) | fem!trickster!god tier! john (100%) |

Offline CyberIncision

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #1511 on: August 08, 2012, 07:43:52 pm »

New Paine wig to redo her for Kumoricon :D

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #1512 on: August 09, 2012, 10:02:54 am »
i ordered a new faceplate for my Desert Punk.  The other one that I made was a bit suffocating and there was not enough room for a fan.  But the new one I got is really big.  I think that I might have to trade them out during the day. 

I am hoping to find some Yokos from Gurren Lagann in the park to take some photos with.  I will use the small faceplate for those photos and then go switch it out for the bigger one with the fan inside.  No passing out rule in effect.

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #1513 on: August 09, 2012, 02:00:31 pm »
^ the Paine wig looks AWESOME!

My third trip to the good ole GW netted me some of the most important pieces!  Got the red coat ($13, SCORE!), boots (not quite the right light tan, but they'll work), and a green jacket that fits me better AND looks more like Saki's.. fewer alterations ;)

Both wigs and the dog have shipped and should be arriving any day.

Now we just need to find a army-green jacket for Takizawa!

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #1514 on: August 09, 2012, 04:44:15 pm »
Got my Sophie Wig today and My Fluttershy ears! :D

Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #1515 on: August 09, 2012, 09:25:22 pm »
Just got my custom business cards for my Kyubey cosplay ~~~
just need to sew on the tail then he's all done !
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #1516 on: August 09, 2012, 10:46:52 pm »

Got my Dipper Pines hat done, plus bought shoes and a shirt. Now I just need the vest and I'm done! I'm hitting up Goodwill for that tomorrow.

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1517 on: August 09, 2012, 11:46:05 pm »
^ how did you get that hat?! DX I still need to get or make mine.

Offline venicekind

• Cabbit
    • My Anime List
« Reply #1518 on: August 09, 2012, 11:57:15 pm »
Someone cosplaying Gravity Falls?! Be my new best friend.

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #1519 on: August 09, 2012, 11:58:52 pm »
@Tanuki19 - I ordered the hat off Amazon (it's this one) and painted the symbol on using a stencil and some blue acrylic paint.

Also: Gravity Falls people, we should like. Meet up and take pictures at some point.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:02:45 am by Chibachi Nero »

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1520 on: August 10, 2012, 10:22:35 am »
Oh man, I just might order that. I've been having the hardest time finding a hat. Thank you!

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #1521 on: August 10, 2012, 11:42:20 am »
Here's the finished product to my earpiece (side view, plus the hat. And my face o-o) >w<

It was a pain in the butt to paint, since some of the paint peeled or smudged off easily (I used acrylic paint), but now I just put light coats on it everytime it dried, now it's fine ^^. I'm glad it turned out better than I thought c:
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)
Hope to see you all then! <3

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #1522 on: August 10, 2012, 01:26:38 pm »
Makeup test for Ice King. The nose is derpy and I'll have to fix that. As well, I will be gluing hair in places to look better, I just didn't want to do that now.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=339993692753323&set=a.264679766951383.66868.263651763720850&type=3&theater
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1523 on: August 10, 2012, 02:19:51 pm »
I got shoes and a possible hat for Dipper today. The hat has a bunch of dumb crap stitched on the front which I'm going to try to seam rip and if it doesnt work then whatever, the hat was only a quarter. I'm still trying to convince my mom to buy me the one from Amazon XD

Offline KinkyFriedChicken

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1524 on: August 10, 2012, 05:19:38 pm »
Sewed all of Double last night but her habit and arm cuffs. FUUUUU- I'm so excited, I'll have pictures up sometime soon.

I still need Wendy's shirt and Buttons for Double, then I am dooonnneee. AGH.

@Tanuki:
If you want you can borrow my Dipper hat! :0
It's all painted and done and what not. I'd need it back after con but other than that, have at it. x D
~Sakuracon 2016

Furiosa [Mad Max:Fury Road]
Fenris [Dragon Age 2]
Modern Day!Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #1525 on: August 10, 2012, 05:46:01 pm »
I'm so mad...  got my Saki wig yesterday and it's orange and yellow hair... Thought it was just orange.  It should have been just orange :p  Will be sending it back and possibly ordering a new one from Amazon (after a quick check at the year-round Halloween store).

Also discovered Saki has a mini skirt under that red jacket.. will be looking for one of those too.  And I forgot another important prop from King of Eden: the carousel ring.  I think I'll also do an iron-on Air King shirt for hubby, just for good measure  :D

Still looking for that army-green jacket for Takizawa, and have yet to tackle the phone.. though I found a GREAT site with lots of good reference photos.

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #1526 on: August 10, 2012, 07:06:39 pm »
Ahh I need help! I have a photo shoot set up for Monday but I have no clue what costume to wear and no clue where to have it!!!

I'm thinking either Mami (Would probably be best, cause I'd like a barren location. Kinda dark and scary.) or Sophie and Howl (Which I'd like to have be in a flowery place...)

I don't really know the location well enough to judge what costume and what location... Help? Please.. (:
Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #1527 on: August 10, 2012, 09:00:12 pm »
@Tsuki, you could also try sharpie dyeing the yellow fibers. You can either color them by hand or extract the dye and mix it with rubbing alcohol (there's plenty of tutorials around) and paint it on. Works pretty well in my experience!

Got the vest I needed to finish Dipper today. I need to take in the wrists on my armsocks, curl my wig for Aradia a bit, and purchase stickon moustaches and then I'm done.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1528 on: August 11, 2012, 04:06:28 am »
I picked up shoes, leggings, and a hat (which was not originally planned) for Michiru.  I'm probably going to take a picture with me wearing all of this stuff on over the weekend in order to show my progress.  All that I need for her now is some gloves and make-up, plus removing hair... :P Oh, and new contacts.

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #1529 on: August 11, 2012, 08:21:54 am »
Here's the finished product to my earpiece (side view, plus the hat. And my face o-o) >w<

It was a pain in the butt to paint, since some of the paint peeled or smudged off easily (I used acrylic paint), but now I just put light coats on it everytime it dried, now it's fine ^^. I'm glad it turned out better than I thought c:

Captn....that looks awesome. 

Offline Tranny

• Catgirl
« Reply #1530 on: August 11, 2012, 02:51:47 pm »
Finally got everything I needed from the Fabric Store. $111 later.

So the next 3 weeks will be nothing but late nights of sewing.

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #1531 on: August 11, 2012, 04:10:11 pm »

Captn....that looks awesome. 

Thanks so much! I'm glad it turned out well.
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)
Hope to see you all then! <3

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1532 on: August 11, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »

Offline Tranny

• Catgirl
« Reply #1533 on: August 12, 2012, 09:21:52 pm »
lol yish comcast.

Leafeon's almost done, just need to sew the hood to the poncho and finish up the ears. ^^

Offline Maiku

• Sailor Scout
    • Octavian Cosplay
« Reply #1534 on: August 12, 2012, 09:31:30 pm »
Man, everyone is making such awesome progress on their cosplay.  I'm super excited to see finished work at Kumoricon and get tons of pictures. 

Here is a little progress of my own.

Yukimura from Brave 10 (Need to style that wig something fierce!)

2012 Kumo

Dad - Homestuck / Yukimura - Brave 10 / Captain Marvelous - Gokaiger / Flame Prince - Adventure Time

See some of my work: http://www.facebook.com/OctavianCosplay

Offline Chromophobic

• Catgirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1535 on: August 12, 2012, 10:50:20 pm »
Got Yuna almost done. All I really need is her earring, and the beads that hang off the front of her obi. :3

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #1536 on: August 13, 2012, 10:27:16 am »
^^looking good sis....

My Fem Engineer and possibly my Vash/Ash crossover will be finished tonight.

Offline kappa roll

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #1537 on: August 13, 2012, 12:52:24 pm »
fionna wig/hat are finished! yay!

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #1538 on: August 13, 2012, 05:07:09 pm »
Everyone looks amazing!!! (:

My last wig hasn't even shipped yet... Do I even need to say how terrified I am? Ack!

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1539 on: August 13, 2012, 05:09:29 pm »
I tried to get some progress done today and this it what happen =.=

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #1540 on: August 13, 2012, 05:29:40 pm »
I'm getting closer to being done. I just need to paint the handel on my blades for Rokuro. Then I need to attach the spheres to the middle of the blades and some little skull things and they are done.

As for Darc all that is left is smoothing out the edges of some of the scales. I may touch up the hilt of that sword a little too. Its kinda rough.

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #1541 on: August 13, 2012, 08:53:13 pm »
@Tsuki, you could also try sharpie dyeing the yellow fibers. You can either color them by hand or extract the dye and mix it with rubbing alcohol (there's plenty of tutorials around) and paint it on. Works pretty well in my experience!

Chibachi, you're awesome!  Colored over the yellow with an orange sharpie, and it worked pretty well.

Before:

Now it looks passably orange :)

Saki outfit #1:

..and under the coat:

I might try to take the pink turtleneck in a bit as it's kind of large.

Now I just need to alter the pink dress for her second outfit (hem it and add the white trim) and find a carousel ring.  Still have to make the wings for Angelica, and the MUCH larger project of the phone.  STILL trying to find a jacket.. apparently it's just a Vietnam green jacket, but having trouble finding one.  Everything else should be set - got a suit and even found a red tie for Takizawa...  but the wig hasn't come yet :p  At least it has shipped.  Crunch time!!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1542 on: August 14, 2012, 01:01:05 am »

...is that a dog, or a bunny?

Offline Len-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #1543 on: August 14, 2012, 02:02:45 am »
LMAO thats a dog :P for sure XD
1st year Kumoricon already loving the community

Offline Naruchan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #1544 on: August 14, 2012, 02:36:35 am »
So, I finished the bodice to Demony's dress, Made her cape! Her costume is coming along super well, But mine, I still have sooooo much to get for it!
I'm a little irritated that I don't even have all the stuff for it yet, and I can't seem to find the right kind of belt buckle from ANYWHERE!
I may need to just go to goodwill and buy a 5 dollar belt just for the buckle. I started on the shirt today, and I decided to make it one big piece instead of two pieces that would have looked funny when all put together.
So I took the lining for the vest and make a fake sleeve bottom, so it will look like it's two pieces, but no one will because to tell it's one~! I'm proud so far! I just hope I don't run into any complications as far as putting it the rest of the way together!
I wish I could put up pictures, but we as a group decided to keep it more under wraps.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:39:09 am by Naruchan »
Next con: Kumori-con

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #1545 on: August 14, 2012, 10:18:28 am »
My Fem Engineer is done.  gonna get some Pics tonight!!   ;D

Offline EmAino

• Chibi
« Reply #1546 on: August 14, 2012, 05:19:14 pm »
Got my Tenten outfit in the mail today. :D  Just need to find a cheap pair of sandals for it now.
Sakuracon 2014
Yugito Nii - Naruto Shippuden

Kumoricon
God Tier Jane Crocker - Homestuck
Komachi Onozuka - Touhou

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1547 on: August 14, 2012, 06:16:31 pm »

...is that a dog, or a bunny?

dog

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #1548 on: August 14, 2012, 06:20:58 pm »
Just cut out the skeleton of my harpoon-tip from a big ol' sheet of plastic sheeting (redundant update is redundant). I now have to: 1) glue it to the pipe, 2) spray insulation foam on both sides of it, 3) sculpt it down to size...that's as far as I'm willing to think right now.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #1549 on: August 14, 2012, 08:33:28 pm »
Also worked on Ward's gauntlets. I am making them out of rubber, and I've got the two pieces measured and cut out, but now I can't seem to fit them to my arms. I've got two rectangles of material. I plan to close them with snaps. How do I trim these down to size so they fit snugly?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!